Dark Shadows

• Please log in to reply

765 replies to this topic

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

RIP, Mr. Frid. You made my childhood a bit better. I'm at Episode 193 in the box set marathon watching. Only 18 more to go before Barnabas shows up.

momallrat

momallrat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Jonathan Frid. I'll always remember how he made what could have been a horrifically campy role into one of the best dramatic roles in television history. Every scene between him and Angelique was pure gold.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I just heard the bad news. On the positive side, he'll be spared from watching that awful movie.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

On the positive side, he'll be spared from watching that awful movie.

en I was you
He's in the awful movie.

Was glad to hear he had an easy passing. He deserved it. He made a lot of our lives better. And when I was young was the cause of many sleepless nights waiting for a monster to pop out of the closet. I'll miss you Mr. Frid.

trippyhop

trippyhop

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:48 AM

In an attempt to rid myself of the bad taste of the trailer of the film - as well as to mourn the passing of the one and only Jonathan Frid - I decided to go on a DS YouTube clip marathon. And I can't believe I had forgotten the BEST DEATH EVER on DS, or any soap that I've seen (which is counting out a lot, mind you, so take that with a grain of salt). Honestly, did any Dark Shadows character have a better death than Minerva Trask? Seriously. That crazy old biddy took longer to die from that poison than any soap opera character has a right to, and Clarice Blackburn milked that for all its worth. Her gasping "Murderer!" was almost Shakespearean, and Tim just standing there pretending to use the phone was legitimately creepy.

Anyone have any particular character death that tickled them?

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

I'm just past Barnabas arriving in my marathon. Willie has changed (the first actor was terrible...it was like he just wandered into the studio and said he was there for work) and he's just gone back to the crypt after freaking out.

I have not watched the show since it originally aired. I was four when it started. I'm really surprised I can remember some things from it. Elizabeth lying in the bed, motionless during the Phoenix storyline being the first.

samgracesmom

samgracesmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

Rest in peace Jonathan. I hope you are lifting a glass in heaven with Grayson, Louis, Joan, Thayer, Joel, Don, and all the other Dark Shadows stars that have passed. You will live in the heart of this Barnabas and Julia fan forever.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott radio interviews.

BakersDozen

BakersDozen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Take this for what it is worth, but I have a cousin that works for FOX, but used to work for WB. He's a big Dark Shadows fan. I said the trailers looked horrible and he said that he had friends at WB, who have seen the movie. It is not a campfest. Apparently, it's quited Gothic and the campy parts are few and far between. They all said the movie was quite enjoyable. So take it for what it's worth.

RebJam

RebJam

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

A new book is available about the show and its entire cast (their careers before and after DS)-Joan Bennett, Louis Edmonds, Lara Parker, David Selby (how many times has he played Abraham Lincoln?), Grayson Hall, Kate Jackson (before Charlie's Angels), Harvey Keitel (no kidding!) and many more-fun.

It notes Mr. Frid's passing on April 14 (not 13 as previously reported).
Barnabas & Company (2012)
barnabasandcompany.com

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer are on the Ellen show today.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

It is not a campfest. Apparently, it's quited Gothic and the campy parts are few and far between. They all said the movie was quite enjoyable. So take it for what it's worth.

Just saw it, and yeah, was relieved to find this was the case. Pretty much all the comedic moments are the ones they're pushing in the commercials. Otherwise, they play it straight.

It was mostly respectful to the story. It also wasn't very good. The first 15-20 minutes were very promising, but after that it was mostly pretty blah. If there's a way to be both relieved and disappointed, that's how I was when it was over.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

In my opinion, there are a lot of humorous moments throughout the new movie version (many not seen in the trailer), which I thought was too much for the overall film. (To be fair, some of the humor worked, but not all. After awhile, it did feel as if, "Here's another funny '70s reference!" was a running theme throughout.) It was as if they were trying to create "camp," when in reality, camp just happens on its own. An overall darker tone would have worked better for the movie. And there are a couple of unnecessary distasteful scenes. I'm not a prude, but the scenes I'm referencing (and I don't want to spoil them for anyone intending to see the movie) just felt icky.

In the film's favor, the art direction and costuming is terrific, and of the cast, I'd say Depp, Pfeiffer, and Haley give it their all. I just wish the film were better.

As for the cameo appearance of the original cast members, it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment. They arrive at the party and walk through the front door, and that's it. Apparently you can glimpse Lara, Kathryn, and David in crowd scenes at the party, but I didn't see them myself; modern editing and cuts made it too quick for me to catch them. I had hoped there would at least be one more scene where we'd see them make a sardonic in-joke to fans of the original DS, such as something untoward happening at the party, and one of them gives an eye-roll and comments to the others, "This never would have happened in the old days."

Edited by jetty, May 13, 2012 @ 1:47 PM.

SweePea59

SweePea59

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

trippyhop:

Honestly, did any Dark Shadows character have a better death than Minerva Trask? Seriously. That crazy old biddy took longer to die from that poison than any soap opera character has a right to, and Clarice Blackburn milked that for all its worth. Her gasping "Murderer!" was almost Shakespearean, and Tim just standing there pretending to use the phone was legitimately creepy.

Anyone have any particular character death that tickled them?

Trask being walled up! I hated that evil Reverend Trask, and that was just so satisfying. Always brings on a bout of glee.

I went to the convention this past fall. Got to see Jonathan Frid perform on stage. All of the actors there were so gracious. So meeting Jerry Lacy was a quite a treat. One of the few items I purchased was an autographed photo of him as Trask. BTW, the profit from the pictures he was selling went to an animal charity.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I've just started watching Dark Shadows eps on Netflix. I gotta say I am enjoying it. I never saw the show before, but have always curious. The Netflix eps start with Barnabas showing up, but is it worth checking out the eps before his appearance?

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

I think you should try them. They're a little slow, and Carolyn/Burke get on my nerves (the entire story), but it's worth watching. Victoria is at center stage and seems like a smarter character. Roger is more complex. Most of the characters are. I especially like the Laura story, the friendship and working relationship between Victoria and the doctor who is suspicious of Laura.

Edited by steve91199, Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:32 AM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

The Netflix eps start with Barnabas showing up, but is it worth checking out the eps before his appearance?

Well, there are three or four story lines in the 210 episodes before Barnabas arrives...a murder, the Phoenix, and the continuing Burke Devlin deal. It's slow, but I kind of enjoyed it. Plus, the early DVDs have the slate before each episode starts and the booth announcer does a tag at the end. ("Tonight it's 'Payton Place' IN COLOR on A-B-C!")

cimarosa

cimarosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

I also recommend checking out the early episodes. Some can move slowly and things are repeated a lot, yet other episodes seem to fly by. One of the things I like about the pre-Barnabas era are the everyday things; seeing people sitting around the breakfast table (Roger makes toast!), ordering lunch at the coffee shop, complaining of car trouble. It's also interesting to see how different some of the core characters are, not to mention, the recasts that occurred (Matthew Morgan, Sam Evans, Willie Loomis). I also really like the insertion of the location footage

And the early episodes have the kick ass awesomeness that is Bill Malloy.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

All right, I'm gonna take your advice and get my hands on the pre-Barnabas stuff. Thanks for replying everyone!

AlistairCrane

AlistairCrane

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

I own Volume 12 of the DVD Collection, and I really love this series! I'm a huge Passions fan, so this show is right up my alley. The audio and video quality is poor (to be expected for a show from the 60s), but it doesn't distract from the storytelling.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I'm watching the episodes from September 1966 and I'm really enjoying the pre-Barnabas stories. Is Bill Malloy really dead? Tune in tomorrow...Funny how Collinwood seemed much grander when I was a kid.

miliosr

miliosr

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

One of the things I like about the pre-Barnabas era are the everyday things; seeing people sitting around the breakfast table (Roger makes toast!), ordering lunch at the coffee shop, complaining of car trouble.

Funny you mention this. I just finished watching episodes 210-365 on DVD. (These episodes cover the period between Willie releasing Barnabas from his chained coffin to Vicky travelling to the year 1795.) As enjoyable as the supernatural stuff is, I found myself really liking the scenes which made Collinsport seem like a real place. I referring specifically to the times when Vicky went in to town to meet Burke, Maggie, Joe and/or Sam at The Blue Whale. Often times nothing much happened during those scenes other than catching the audience up on what had happened if they had missed some episodes. But those scenes made the supernatural drama more believable precisely because you came to care for the non-supernatural characters and their troubles (not all of which revolved around Barnabas)and you felt like all of this could be happening in a sleepy fishing village. When the show came back from the 1795 time travel sequence, I felt like most of that got lost in the rush to make the show as crazy as possible with Barnabas, Dr. Hoffman, Angelique, Adam and Eve, and Nicholas.

Rewatching the 1967 episodes again confirmed my preference for the black&white episodes to the color episodes. I really noticed the difference with the black&white episode where Barnabas first recounts the Josette suicide story to Vicky and Carolyn, and the color episode where Barnabas tries to drive Dr. Hoffman crazy. In the former, the use of shadow and light is absolutely stunning, and really adds to the atmosphere surrounding Jonathan Frid's delivery of the Josette story. In the latter, color episode, Julia's room looks like a set, and you can't tell that there's a blackout at Collinwood because Julia's room is so brightly lit.

Edited by miliosr, Dec 31, 2012 @ 9:01 PM.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I watched the movie several times and enjoyed every scene except the ones with Angelique, but I found it very unsatisfying. I've been watching different episodes, not in any particular order, then I got the DVD collection 1 from the library. This has a "special introductory Dark Shadows featurette", but the episodes start just before Barnabas is released from his coffin. I'm searching for the earlier episodes since I want to see Roger and Victoria from the beginning.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 12:41 AM

There's something very special and atmospheric about the black and white episodes. The only real bonus of the color episodes was that in time they learned how to showcase the breathtaking beauty of many of their leading ladies like Joan Bennett and Nancy Barrett (I don't think the B&W or her hair and makeup did Nancy any favors). I love some of the color era but the B&W era was just consistently stronger, no dead spots, except maybe when Burke was on too much.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a kick ass 2013.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

Was DS done in NY or LA? Usually, you could tell from the looks of the sets but I can't tell with DS. I think I found out unthread somewhere that they were really live to tape thus all the funny mistakes but did they ever do the show live live?

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

I thought they were filmed on location in Connecticut. I downloaded the first 9 episodes from the real start of the show, but I don't know if I'll do that for much more. The first 200 are almost 20 GB.

From the later episodes that I watched, it seemed like Louis Edmonds made the fewest mistakes. I like his affected theatrical accent. Maybe it wasn't that unusual in 1966.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 12:47 AM

Louis used to hide his mistakes by making them seem like the character misspeaking. It was clever. I didn't notice it as much until I saw them all put together on a blooper tape.

The early episodes had location filming More info here. That stopped by the time Barnabas arrived, I think. The interiors were always filmed in a studio in New York.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

When Louis said "incestors" for "ancestors" in the Collins mausoleum was the funniest verbal blooper I ever heard.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

It just made me question the Carolyn/Roger relationship even more...

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 7:12 PM

I always found Nancy Barrett to be the most poised and "prepared" (that is, the fewest goof-ups) of the main cast. She also seemed the best at making her alternate characters into well-rounded people (yes, even Pansy Faye!).

AFAIK, they never did the show "live" live, since there were special effects to be added into so many episodes. But the live to tape thing was as close as you can get. The general rule was that unless someone uttered an obscenity, they did not do re-takes. This led some actors to intentionally curse just to get the chance to do the scene over.