Dark Shadows

• Please log in to reply

765 replies to this topic

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Some spoiler dialogue and talk of the movie.

I hope it's not completely a comedy, that sounds like the wrong direction to take. I can see it being a moody black comedy with horror elements, but just making it into an ordinary kind of comedy vehicle will likely ruin its charm.

One of the producers says we will be so shocked at how they are doing this as a comedy. Why are we shocked? Tim Burton has turned every project he's worked on into a bad joke, full of forced mugging which is more suited to a drunk night with a camera in some D-grade moviemaker's backyard.

The whole thing sounds so crude and so generic that it's hard for me to believe Burton or Depp ever saw, let alone liked, the original Dark Shadows. If they did, this wouldn't sound so much like Ego Trip #943.

samgracesmom

samgracesmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Someone who claims to have seen some sort of test trailer for the new Dark Shadows movie has many of the DS boards and Facebook groups all stirred up, and now some of the blog articles are picking up the story. Could be completely bogus, I suppose, but if it's anything like described in this article, this longtime fan isn't wasting her 12 dollars on a movie ticket. It sounds horrendous.

http://www.vampires....shadows-update/

cimarosa

cimarosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

One of the producers says we will be so shocked at how they are doing this as a comedy. Why are we shocked?

Why, indeed? The first time I heard Dark Shadows, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp in the same sentence, I hoped the 2012 apocalypse would come sooner so we wouldn't be subjected to this project.

The whole thing sounds so crude and so generic that it's hard for me to believe Burton or Depp ever saw, let alone liked, the original Dark Shadows.

If they did see it as kids I think they either a) didn't get it, b) are misremembering or c) have the hubris to think they can do it better.

The dry, sarcastic humor of the original show was delivered with great panache. Do we need dumbed down humor like Barnabas brushing his fangs (really?) or ripping apart a television, believing sorcery is involved? The lack of a trailer this late in the game is interesting. It's possible that focus groups are giving negative feedback. Still, the rabid Burton/Depp fan base will be out in droves. And the imdb board for this flick is more frightening than ghost Quentin lurking in the west wing.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

If they did see it as kids I think they either a) didn't get it, b) are misremembering or c) have the hubris to think they can do it better.

I don't know. I think there's a lot of ways to enjoy DS. I adore the show. Had every last episode on VHS, and watched them over and over. I still don't take it seriously. At all. Even though I know the actors did. I just have a hard time doing so, considering the way DC had the thing shot. I watch it as camp, as a kind of soapy comedy. A lot of people may take that negatively, but I don't. I love camp. I'm not a huge soap opera fan, so I never watched it in the way people watch soaps. I appreciate it for what it was, but I'm not married to that. If this movie was going to be one more retread of DC's vision, I don't see anyone but hardcore fans of the series going to see it. That's a really poor business model, and it's bad for the future of the franchise. Just because many people take it seriously doesn't mean that those of us who don't "didn't get it."

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

What type of franchise will they have if they treat the whole thing as some weird joke? The basic tenet of Dark Shadows (tormented men longing for heroines who often fall prey to the demons surrounding said men) is something which has been around a long time, in many forms, and is popular. You wouldn't have to be faithful to the show to recreate that vibe. Instead, from the way Helena Botham Carter has spoken, and the way that the previews seem to be going, the whole thing is some type of forced camp, with Johnny Depp in whiteface prancing around in awe of his own cleverness. The last time that type of thing had any audience was for about a year when they had Adam West as Batman. If anything I think this movie could kill the franchise, because it turns the idea into something which can be thrown away after a few minutes or less.

Edited by steve91199, Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

jase-bot

jase-bot

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

Everything I've heard indicates it is a somewhat typical Burton piss-take. And while I can certainly understand sending up elements of Dark Shadows - come on, I know every inch of that show by heart and love it to death but it asks for it due to the sheer scope and depth of its day-to-day lunacy - I'm not at all sure I'll like this, despite the wonderful cast that's been assembled. The problem is that Burton just cranks these movies out now, regardless of what the property is - they all follow a very rote formula for him, they all make big money, and they feel increasingly hollow and cynical. He's been like this for me since the horrible Planet of the Apes remake, and the only film of his I've liked since was Sweeney Todd, which he actually took seriously. I also don't think he'd really be capable of making the two Batman films he made today. Too serious, even Batman Returns, which had a very dark core. And yet, the dark, seriocomic tone of that film is what I think would work best for DS. But I think Burton has become way too broad and cheap now - and while the trailer does sound kind of fun, it also sounds like Tim Burton's worst excesses.

Dark Shadows is a very strange, delicate, at times silly, often ridiculous property; you can send it up, you can play it straight, but I think it's best to go straight down the middle between the two given everything in its lexicon. They could easily have launched a TV revival with a young cast, updated for today. This just seems like sheer spoof, and I think that's a mistake. DS is at its best when it's taking itself seriously, even when the material and trappings are ridiculous. You're laughing at times, but you do care, and sometimes the kids are even scared.

Anyway, I don't think these have been linked yet: The original cast on the set, including Kathryn Leigh Scott chilling with Alice Cooper. They all look fantastic. I don't think Lara Parker has aged a day since the one time I met her in the late '90s as a teenager.

Edited by jase-bot, Mar 4, 2012 @ 4:45 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

I have a really bad feeling about this...

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Kathryn Leigh Scott still has that same sweet smile.

Lara Parker is one in a million. I really wish she was still in the business.

jase-bot

jase-bot

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

I wish they both did more daytime work. I could've seen them do any number of roles. Hell, Lara Parker would've made a very decent Irene Manning on OLTL. (as would Katie Scott, who could be a great, subversive bitch on the rare occasion DS let her play it)

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

Kathryn was great as Lady Kitty Soames. I would have been tempted to try casting her as Julia Hoffman, to see how she would have done it. I guess Kathryn isn't enough of a "name," but let Helena Botham Carter go do some vamping as Mrs. Johnson.

I still remember what she wrote about her friendship with Joel Crothers, and how much she missed him. Very moving. I wish Joel could have been a part of all this.

I hadn't seen Jonathan Frid in years but it's good to see him again and know he's still able to go out and act.

Edited by steve91199, Mar 6, 2012 @ 6:47 PM.

Blaze518

Blaze518

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the pictures of the original cast! Lara Parker, David Selby and Katherine Leigh-Scott all look great. Hard to believe that Lara Parker is 74 years old! She is ageless. I had the good fortune to meet her in 1971 just before the show got cancelled. Angelique was my favorite character. I went down to the studio with a bunch of my friends and saw a lot of the cast members. They were all very nice and stopped to chat with the fans and give us autographs. Lara Parker was stunningly beautiful in person and David Selby was handsome and a real Southern gentleman!

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Thank you for sharing that story. I loved Angelique from the first time I saw her, and that character never wears you out. I even liked Alexis, who was just a non-character designed to kill time.

SweePea59

SweePea59

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

Did you see the picture of Johnny Depp as Tonto? He looks like he has the infamous original DS rubber bat on his head.

HaroldsBone

HaroldsBone

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

The DS movie trailer will premiere on the Ellen Show this Thursday, March 15th.

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

The trailer has been released. I do not like it.

Trailer on Hollywood Reporter

SpecialBrew

SpecialBrew

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

So, I am so tempted to go on a rant at the trailer but a few days ago jase-bot was clearly clairevoyant and called it! I couldn't say it any better:

while the trailer does sound kind of fun, it also sounds like Tim Burton's worst excesses.

That said, often trailers are edited and music is overlayed by a whole different group to sell the movie. So this might be a case of the editors playing up hardcore what maybe is 25% of the film in an attempt to have it NOT be atmospheric and similar to the more-serious vampire phase we've been mired in the last 6 years or so. *I desperately tell myself*

Since my first-gut reaction was pretty much all negative, I'll talk about a few gems I saw. I kind of liked the short clips of Dr Julia Hoffman, actually, and Elizabeth too. I was prepared to hate them most but since the whole trailer is WAY too intentionally campy (intentional camp is ALWAYS the most hollow!) and spoofing they (strangely) stood out as kind of interesting to me.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

I mostly just felt like Elizabeth was the same Michelle Pfeiffer performance as always, just with old hair and wardrobe.

I won't be watching this, but at least Helena Botham Carter was closer to Grayson Hall than I had anticipated. I sure miss Grayson.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

That was just...bad.

Now, I realize the original DS had its limitations, and there are a lot of ways you could watch the old show. But, for it to work for you, you had to buy into the Colinwood World on some level. That didn't seem to happen here...at all.

Fish out of water? Check. Precocious children? Check! 70s soundtrack songs? Check. Stupid one-liners from main characters? Check. It's like a bad Friday night ABC sitcom. Barnabas just needs to utter, "Did I do thaaaaat?" and it would be complete.

Depp's next project after TLR is rumored to be "The Night Stalker." I guess he wants to ruin every last bit of my childhood. Thanks, guys who gave us "Ed Wood," one of the best movies of the 90s.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Gag me with a wooden stake! That looks TERRIBLE!

Edited by ubi, Mar 16, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Depp's next project after TLR is rumored to be "The Night Stalker." I guess he wants to ruin every last bit of my childhood.

You must not have seen the latest pics of him as Tonto in the Lone Ranger movie. I feel badly for the Native Americans already. Haven't they suffered enough? Judging by Depp's recent work the last few years, I'm sure this is will be another over the top scenery chewing performance. Only this time with the added bonus of being racially offensive.

This Dark Shadows movie looks as awful as I thought it was going to be based on Burton's past record with remakes. Planet of the Apes was awful. Willy Wonka was awful. Alice in Wonderland was awful. Ugh. I am so not looking forward to this. It doesn't even remotely resemble Dark Shadows at all. It's like they kept the names of the characters and nothing else. Maybe they are banking on loads of people coming to see this movie with no prior knowledge of DS and hoping that people still love Depp's boring quirky schtick.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Maybe they are banking on loads of people coming to see this movie with no prior knowledge of DS and hoping that people still love Depp's boring quirky schtick.

I just wonder if Depp and Burton knowingly treat this as a joke or if they think they are genius. Depp only really became popular because of a lot of ham, yet he seems to see himself as an artiste.

trippyhop

trippyhop

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:08 AM

I just saw thet trailer last night, and I am beyond offended. I was excited for the film because I thought that Burton might pull it off. While the majority of his work in the new millennium has sucked (exceptions, of course, are "Sweeney Todd" and "Big Fish"), I thought his naturally gothic sensibilities and past balance of horror, humor, and humanity would serve the show's tone extremely well. And the casting - along with that great EW cast photo - gave me hope. But the trailer makes the film look not only like a bad-natured spoof of the soap, but a cynical spoof of all things vampire nowadays, like they're hoping all haters of "Twilight," "True Blood," et al will go see this to laugh at the current pop culture obsession with vamps. Even my brother, who hates DS, watched the trailer and was like, "Dude, I'm offended for you."

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:15 AM

Wrong thread.

Edited by Knots Landing, Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:15 AM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

Why not just "re-image" "Love at First Bite" and be done with it?

cimarosa

cimarosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Maybe they are banking on loads of people coming to see this movie with no prior knowledge of DS and hoping that people still love Depp's boring quirky schtick.

There's already a built-in audience; hardcore fans of the Burton-Depp duo. Some are so avid they believe that the team can do no wrong. There's also DS fans hungry for any new incarnation. My instinct told me this project was a bad idea from the get-go; Burton hasn't challenged himself creatively in years. If he'd really attempt to do something different, I'd at least give him credit for trying something outside his comfort zone. I've seen people elsewhere mention Hammer studios; if it had been approached like Terence Fisher at his best, the movie could have really been interesting.

As for the trailer, I found it to be beyond the pale. Would Barnabas, at his core a gentleman, really tell a woman, even Angelique, to kiss his ass? And is a "hot" sex scene, which includes slamming against walls, rolling around on the ceiling and falling onto a bed, supposed to remind me of the wretched Dracula 2000 and the original Nightmare on Elm Street? All that's missing is a riff of the 80's movie Making Mr. Right, when the fish-out-of-water android found a diaphragm in a woman's purse and chewed on it. I can imagine them thinking Barnabas using one as a libations cup to be hilarious. (I exaggerate, but at this rate, nothing would surprise me).

On a series related note: I've been re-watching the arrival of Chris Jennings episodes and loving them. The whole Chris/Quentin's ghost story arc was brilliantly thought out. The first time you watch, you don't realize until mid-way through 1897 how interconnected the prelude is.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

Please tell me there's a station playing dark Shadows!

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

My box set arrived from deepdiscountdvd today. Funny thing is I ordered from them, and then cancelled it because of the expense. It's 1,589 of 2,500. I thought it had been pushed back until May. Now, off to see if my Visa was billed. If it wasn't, time to email DDDVD and have them bill me.

SpecialBrew

SpecialBrew

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

It looks like you can now buy the entire series including the pre-Barnabus era for around $500.

Pixles

Pixles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I was surprised the trailer was comedic that wasn't what I was expecting.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:27 AM

Jonathan Frid has passed away.

So many memories of Barnabas flooding back to me now. I never really watched the show for Barnabas, but I can't deny Frid's power in the role or what he did for the show. We wouldn't be here talking about the show today if not for him.

He had such chemistry with so many in the cast. I think my favorite was when he made Julia kill Dave Woodard, and gaslighted her. Oh how I loved that story, and his work in it.

Edited by steve91199, Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:27 AM.