Forensic Files

• Please log in to reply

175 replies to this topic

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 7:15 AM

Very gross. But I'd seen the case done in more detail on another program - American Justice or something like that.

VanillaBear85

VanillaBear85

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 1:08 PM

There seem to be a few of the same stories on Snapped as well.

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 1:51 PM

Right, and the most recent I had seen, two weeks or so ago, was disturbing as hell. A couple that killed another couple just for a sick game/thrills in the rented vacation home, dismembering them, and the male then sitting in the hot tub with their severed heads! Just...disturbing and gross.

I saw this one as well, and I was truly horrified. I don't understand how they managed to avoid the death penalty unless the state they were prosecuted in doesn't have it.

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 4:41 AM

"Forensic Files" showed that the diary entries were forged, but, I believe it was Dominick Dunne's show that not only did not discuss the diary entries being forged but implied that the incest actually took place.

While it's true her husband forged some of it, something did happen between Nancy Lyon and her brother. You can read about it here and here.

Does anyone remember an episode about a man who was a serial killer along the east coast (in Maine, IIRC) and then somewhere out West? He killed young boys, and left a bite mark on their bodies.

The killer is John Joubert. A scoutmaster had brought the rope back from Korea, but it wasn't actually used by the Boy Scouts.

Edited by Josette, Jun 23, 2010 @ 5:12 AM.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 4:55 PM

While it's true her husband forged some of it, something did happen between Nancy Lyon and her brother. You can read about it here and here.

Thanks, Josette. "Forensic Files" implied that the allegations of incest were false and the discovery of the forgeries exonerated Bill. Half-hour program and, of course, the incest wasn't the point of the episode, but it's something that bothers me about these cases that are expanded upon in other shows. Many of them leave the viewer with impressions that are incorrect.

Edited by PJWatcher, Jun 23, 2010 @ 4:56 PM.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 7:53 AM

New development in General Wayne Inn case.

This article popped up in our local paper this morning. This was the episode with the holster for a gun but no gun, correct?

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:20 AM

I didn't realize they started showing these on TNT a while back. They're back on TNT again.

Mandy02180

Mandy02180

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 11:28 PM

You have given me a new perspective for Forensic Files. I didn't realize that some of the cases were slanted by the show. I'm disappointed but glad to know.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 3:58 PM

Are there new episodes of this coming out?

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2010 @ 5:16 PM

Looks like they had a new episode the 8th, and there are new episodes at 11pm on Oct 22nd and Oct 29th.

NeonJungle

NeonJungle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2010 @ 10:35 PM

Would that Discovery ID pick up Forensic Files. It'd be great for it (and Snapped) to be rolled into that network.

SomaWaves

SomaWaves

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 5, 2010 @ 1:47 PM

I heard that Tru-TV won't renew their deal with the production company and they aren't shooting any more new episodes after they use up what they have, so maybe Investigation Discovery will get a chance at it.

Lemonaid

Lemonaid

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2010 @ 2:02 PM

I heard that Tru-TV won't renew their deal with the production company and they aren't shooting any more new episodes after they use up what they have, so maybe Investigation Discovery will get a chance at it.

That really sucks!

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2010 @ 2:35 PM

Yeah, Tru-TV has got to expand its intelligent audience-discerning programming so we can have more "Beach Patrol" or "Most Shocking!" I can't imagine exploring the science of crime-solving is more literate than those show!

I hope it gets picked up by another station. I don't want to have to keep seeing reruns of the same cases.

Lemonaid

Lemonaid

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2010 @ 3:01 PM

Their programming has really gone down since they changed their name. I'm really surprised that they would get rid of Forensic Files. I thought it was one of the channel's highest rated shows. Let's hope ID picks it up.

ljenkins782

ljenkins782

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 7:16 PM

Right, and the most recent I had seen, two weeks or so ago, was disturbing as hell. A couple that killed another couple just for a sick game/thrills in the rented vacation home, dismembering them, and the male then sitting in the hot tub with their severed heads! Just...disturbing and gross.

I saw this one as well, and I was truly horrified. I don't understand how they managed to avoid the death penalty unless the state they were prosecuted in doesn't have it.

Oh man, this episode. I didn't see it, but my husband, who watches every gory horror movie/true crime sort of show, was most disgusted by this episode. Of all the horrible crap he watches, this is the episode that really disturbed him. Considering how disturbed I am by fictional stuff like Saw, I'm glad I missed this one.

I have a cousin who worked on this show as like an assistant producer the last couple of years, she left because the pay was shit. It's produced locally so that doesn't surprise me too much.

The most interesting episode to me was one that profiled a local case of a man I'd actually met several times, so I specifically remember his murder. His wife shot him in his sleep and then tried to pass it off as someone else. It was one of the episodes where they changed all the names so I was super confused for awhile, but there's no way it was a different case.

BillyMumbles

BillyMumbles

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 5:10 PM

Me too! (Seeing endless repeats) I have Verizon & the descriptions aren't always the best but I never see to find many ones that I haven't seen.

(Mandy01280)

The new episodes air on Friday nights at either 10 or 11pm. (It used to be Wednesday's at 9, but apparently they're trying to kill the show by putting new eps on at the worst timeslot of the week.) TruTV.com basically sucks... you're better off checking ForensicFiles.com for info on new episodes. I hear they're also on Twitter.

And I wouldn't say the episodes are 'slanted' - every show tells the story in a different way, but 'slant' suggests a bias towards a person or ideology. FF isn't any more slanted for not saying the incest was true than Dominick Dunne was for not pointing out the diary entries talking about it were faked. From what I can tell, what exactly happened is open to interpretation. But the diary entries were definitely faked if you saw the handwriting analysis.

Edited by BillyMumbles, Dec 1, 2010 @ 5:11 PM.

BillyMumbles

BillyMumbles

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

They ARE on Twitter: @ForensicFiles

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 3:30 PM

Okay, so can I have some help with an episode? I caught part of it and didn't get to see the ending.

An elderly woman is beaten to death in her home in Hummelstown, PA (which is near Hershey/Harrisburg...I took special note because I used to live in Hershey and know the area relatively well). A neighbor reported seeing a shadowy figure flee the house the night of the murder. And that's when I had to leave.

It's driving me nuts...I've tried googling and can't come up with anything. I wonder if they changed the name of the victim (her name was Kathryn/Katherine/Catherine in the episode). Hummelstown is small and does not have a high crime rate, so I can't imagine why I'm having so much trouble finding the information.

Any help appreciated!

SomaWaves

SomaWaves

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 10:41 PM

The Hummelstown episode was "A Case of the Flue". The name they used for the victim is "Kathryn Bishop". I do not know if that's actually her name or not. If they change them they're is usually some sort of disclaimer at the beginning or in the credits.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2010 @ 8:42 AM

Was that the one where the chimney cleaners robbed her because of the grocery money she kept on her kitchen table? Bless her heart...no one should be murdered, but the poor dear really shouldn't have kept her cash out in the open with strangers in the house.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 23, 2010 @ 8:24 PM

but the poor dear really shouldn't have kept her cash out in the open with strangers in the house.

That's classic old people though. When you're born at the turn of the century or therabouts, at this point you're more trusting than others. Not in a naive way, but just kind of not expecting to get murdered for a couple hundred bucks or whatever it was.

The Hummelstown episode was "A Case of the Flue". The name they used for the victim is "Kathryn Bishop". I do not know if that's actually her name or not.

You were right, that was her name. Kathryn I. Bishop. She was killed in 1993. I don't remember if they mentioned later case developments on the broadcast. In August 1996, Timothy McEnany was granted a new trial and got out on $500,000 bail, as Janet Seitz (Bishop's daughter) cried. This happened because "a state Superior Court panel ruled that Dauphin County Judge Clarence C. Morrison violated McEnany's right against self-incrimination when he ordered the prosecution to make it clear to the jury that McEnany refused to give a statement to police after asking for a lawyer."

But he ended up getting convicted. Twice:

"Over the course of eight years, McEnany has had the benefit of a thorough review of his case," (District Attorney) Chardo said. "After two jury trials and appeals, twenty four jurors and each court that has reviewed the matter has been convinced that the evidence proves Timothy McEnany's guilt in the murder of Kathryn Bishop." (2001)

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

Thanks, Doom!

You know, the one with the man who murdered his wife by suffocating her with a trash bag in their bed (deathmask) just astonishes me to no end. This was the guy who had his next wedding planned before killing wife #1. Did he think nobody was going to figure this out?! The arrogance of some people...

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2010 @ 9:22 AM

It does astound me that people think that the police will not investigate anything that isn't directly related to their home life, such as their work computers or their cell phone usage.

Just by watching FF, I've learned, that should I ever be inclined to murder someone, to never:

* use a storage shed.

* be involved in any kind of extramartial affair

* use a credit card to buy the implements of murder/burial all at one time.

* let anything with my dna get out of my house.

ilovecomputers

ilovecomputers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 27, 2010 @ 2:31 PM

[quote]Just by watching FF, I've learned, that should I ever be inclined to murder someone, to never:

* use a storage shed.

* be involved in any kind of extramartial affair

* use a credit card to buy the implements of murder/burial all at one time.[/quote]
[quote]Just by watching FF, I've learned, that should I ever be inclined to murder someone, to never:

Have to agree with you on these points. I was saying as much yesterday when my husband and I were watching another true crime story. The accused murderer happened to purchase 2 mysterious 5- gallon gas cans with a credit card the day before her ex husband was murdered. Investigators theorize she used the gas cans when she drove 300 miles to murder her ex and return home without stopping at a gas station. How stupid is that? They didn't consider her as a suspect for about 5 YEARS after the murder. The better way would be to purchase gas with cash. No one keeps video surveillance films that long...

I would like to add to your list that one shouldn't keep receipts around the house for the purchase of your murder/burial tools. I did see where someone had done that. What was she thinking? "Hello, Home Depot? Yeah, I'd like to return this slightly used axe. It just didn't work as well as I thought it would. Store credit? No problem."

Edited by ilovecomputers, Dec 27, 2010 @ 2:34 PM.

Susanlea

Susanlea

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2010 @ 4:40 PM

My favorite was the lady who used her store discount card when she purchased the heavy duty, blood removing chemicals at the store. I'm sure the money she saved helped pay that lawyer's bill.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 10:10 AM

Yes, leaving a paper trail of what you purchased is a big no-no. This includes receipts and anything that can be tracked, such as cc or debit card purchases or, as pointed out above, discount or shopping cards.

Also:

* With forensic science now able to piece together duct tape or trace purchases by lot number, I would avoid using implements of murder/burial that are sitting around my house. Don't use your own duct tape or garbage bags. The police will find them sitting on your garage shelf and tie them to the crime.

* Computer science. Don't use your own computer (or your work computer) to research your planned kill.

* Don't go back to the crime/burial site. GPS technology can follow you everywhere.

* Act like a grieving survivor: At least pretend to be upset when told about the crime. Ask how it happened. Don't fall asleep or be eating while the police are there. If there is a search for the victim and you are a friend/relative, be involved in the search.

WhyTheFace

WhyTheFace

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 1:17 PM

Does anyone else remember a case where the son was found guilty of pushing his mother over a banister to her death and he attempted to cover it up by claiming, quite stupidly, that his elderly mother who was rich and elite as all get out was trying to carry a heavy vcr up the stairs for some unexplained reason and he said he did try to convince her to let him carry it but she refused. I remember how all her friends knew immediately he was lying and weren't shy about saying pretty much she didn't like him and he didn't like her and just wanted her money. I also think his daughter tried to help him with the cover up but I don't think they charged her, but I do remember that they actually were cleaning up when the paramedics arrived, which the medics noticed and found very odd as you would, I mean they were actually mopping up the blood around her body and wiping things down because I know when Grammy and Mom has fallen to her death I know the first thing I need to do is break out the bleach and mr. clean because scrubbing helps with the grief. I mean that was one of those cases I just couldn't believe how dumb the guy was in trying to cover up his crime.

Dom Curry

Dom Curry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 3:44 PM

I remember that story but I can't find it as a Forensic File's episode.

The lady was Bette Lucas from Tyler, TV. With her name, you can look up several hits on google. Here's a City Confidential episode about her: http://www.answers.c...ler-fallen-rose

WhyTheFace

WhyTheFace

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 4:20 PM

I remember that story but I can't find it as a Forensic File's episode

I recall it being on Forensic Files because they talked about how the proof that pointed to her being murdered was almost solely forensically based because of the trajectory of her body and the marking found on the bottom half of the stairs where her son claimed her body and vcr had landed as well as the marking they found on the mother's body didn't match what the son claimed happened to her to cause her death. I believe the episode's title is "Step by Step" and it originally aired in 2007.