Barefoot Contessa

• Please log in to reply

25561 replies to this topic

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

The audio quality on the video clip was really poor. A first, it sounded like chickens were clucking in the background and I thought it was a prank, then, poor Ina sounded like she was trapped at the bottom of the ocean and talking through a snorkel.

I'm sure it's a fine recipe, but to me, if you're going to the trouble to heat up the oil anyway, just go ahead and fry the damned chicken. It's still the same mess, why dirty another baking sheet?

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

I'm sure it's a fine recipe, but to me, if you're going to the trouble to heat up the oil anyway, just go ahead and fry the damned chicken. It's still the same mess, why dirty another baking sheet?

I don't understand that, either.

My mom used to dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour and then bake them. It wasn't the same as fried chicken, but there was a crisp crust and the meat was juicy. The mess was minimal.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

Oh, I thought the audio problem was just my computer...

Isn't it healthier if you only fry them a little? In any case, this way is easier to serve to company because you can time when they will be ready in the oven, and make a large quantity...

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

LOL! It's good to know that Ina wasn't drowning her chickens in the Liberman's pool or something.

I always thought that the initial concept behind oven "fried" chicken was to cut back on calories and fat. It never occurred to me as a way to keep chicken crispy and moist before you served it. Honestly, this was the first time I'd ever heard of partially frying the chicken then baking it the rest of the way.

I like the oven option because you can also opt to use the skin or not. Sometimes, I'll remove the skin, then do an egg-dip of the flour-coated chicken then coat it in panko or Italian bread crumbs and bake it. There's no way you could successfully prepare Ina's recipe sans skin.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

I did Ina's recipe without skin, and it worked fine... though probably not as tasty/crunchy as with skin!

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Isn't it healthier if you only fry them a little?

Not if you fry them properly in the first place (i.e., don't crowd the pan, keep the oil temperature consistent, etc.).

At any rate, I'm in the in-for-a-penny-in-for-a-pound camp. If you're going to go to the trouble of frying them a little, why not go all the way? You can keep the chicken warm in a low oven, if that's the issue. Just put the pieces on a rack set on a cookie sheet. They won't get soggy.

Ina has never been one to worry about using too many pans.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Ina has never been one to worry about using too many pans.

Or too many calories/grams of fat.

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

Yesterday the "Mystery guest" was on & I just love that episode. It's my favorite. I still want to make her mushroom soup, only I need to find a substitute for the cream. Mel Brooks is so funny - he steals that appetizer & pays for his meal - LOL

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Heh, talk about mileage varying! I can't stand Mel Brooks in that ep. I want to strangle him to shut him the fuck up. I found it exhausting. A little of that went a very long way for me.

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

Yeah...Mel is a nice guy but that old Borsch Belt humor can wear you out "right quick"...that is not one of my favorite episodes! Got to see a not too oldie today: Ina making dinner al fresco to be served on the Liberman's dock. I enjoyed watching her create that gorgeous coconut cake with the famous coconut cream cheese frosting but was knocked out with all the butter going into the cake as well as the frosting. There must be a lighter version somewhere!

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Had I known that the Mel Brooks episode was on yesterday, I would have watched. That's one of the funniest episodes of Ina's that I've ever watched! Mel was full of it, and Ina loved every word he said, I think, especially since he was so complimentary.

Those pears that Ina served for dessert were BEAUTIFUL! Right away, I went online to order some -- until I saw the price!!! The ones I saw came from Texas. Nothing but the best to serve to Mel!

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Had I known that the Mel Brooks episode was on yesterday, I would have watched. That's one of the funniest episodes of Ina's that I've ever watched!

I love Mel Brooks & I loved that ep, too.

IMO the great things about Ina's oven fried chicken are 1) I don't have to worry if I fried it long enough to be done, or over cooked it because I fried it too long trying to be sure it was done. It comes out perfectly. 2) I can have it all done at the same time. 3) I can have all the mess from the breading & frying cleaned up before the chicken comes out of the oven. 4) It is fantastic.

ATWTer7776

ATWTer7776

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

I enjoyed watching her create that gorgeous coconut cake with the famous coconut cream cheese frosting but was knocked out with all the butter going into the cake as well as the frosting. There must be a lighter version somewhere!

How about a seven-minute meringue icing with Ina's coconut cake? What with all of the fat in the coconut and the butter-rich cake, the no-fat seven-minute icing would help cut the calories at least a little bit. Being from the South, I'm more familiar with coconut cake that's been frosted that way and it's absolutely delicious! You could even whip up some of Ina's lemon or lime curd and put that between the layers.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

Ina's coconut cake is one of those desserts that I save for a special occasion, or else I only make it once or twice a year. It's a fantastic recipe, but it's also heavy on the calories and the cholesterol! The frosting is very good, and I'd feel cheated if I had to substitute a different one, so for me, making it only once in a blue moon is my solution.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Heh, talk about mileage varying! I can't stand Mel Brooks in that ep.

Yeah, I'm with you. I thought he was hamming it up a little too much, and for some reason that annoys me more than guests trying not to act completely uncomfortable and/or awkward.

I still want to make her mushroom soup, only I need to find a substitute for the cream.

Tress, is it the fat content of the cream that bothers you? I made it with 2% evaporated milk instead of cream and it turned out quite nicely. I also threw in some dried porcini with the mushroom stock and I think I pureed the whole mix a little just to thicken it a bit, and it was wonderful! It also froze really well too... My husband can't stand mushrooms so I froze it in single-serving containers to take to work for lunch. I have used the 2% evaporated milk as a sub for cream often and it works like a charm, especially in cooked dishes.

The frosting is very good, and I'd feel cheated if I had to substitute a different one, so for me, making it only once in a blue moon is my solution.

Sadly, that's how I feel about a lot of her dishes, like the pot pies, the cakes, the brownies... *sigh*

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

whitepepper, no, it's not the fat content - it's the dairy content - LOL - I'm vegan.

I am the self-proclaimed queen of substitutions, but the cream does throw me off a bit. I did find an interesting recipe for heavy cream that calls for adding canola oil to soymilk. You put the milk in the blender & slowly add the oil to thicken it like making mayo. 'But, it just doesn't sound very good at all - lol.

Thanks so much for your suggestion - I really appreciate it! :)

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Sadly, that's how I feel about a lot of her dishes, like the pot pies, the cakes, the brownies... *sigh*

Oh, but her pot pies are worth waiting for!!

This afternoon's ep was the taste test for the rehearsal dinner Barbara was giving at the barn. I've seen it several times now, but I never picked up on the ridiculous quantity of food Barbara purchased for the taste testing. She bought 3 lbs. of shrimp, 12 tuna skewers, & 2 quarts of chowder for what was supposed to be just Barbara & Ina. I'm sure they needed that quantity for filming purposes, but since it's a fake storyline anyway, why didn't they script Barbara to just ask for a 1/2 lb. of shrimp, a couple of skewers, & a pint of chowder? That was really stoopid. Still loved the ep, though.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

I wanted to comment on Ina's lentils. Although I didn't like them too much (I think the carrots were too sweet), I really had a problem with the production of the recipe. On both the show and on the posted recipe, preparation begins with sauteeing the leeks and carrots for 5 minutes then setting them aside. Then they start cooking the lentils. That's stupid. They should have started the lentils first, and during the 20 minutes of cooking, there was plenty of time to do the leeks and carrots, and the carrots need more than 5 minutes in my opinion.

Secondly she studs the onion with cloves and drops it in the pot where we all see that half that onion and cloves will never contribute to the dish. So when I made it, I put the cloves on the half that would actually be in the water. If I try the recipe again, I'll just use half an onion and stud it with half the cloves to correct the flavor balance.

These might be minor points, but it's disappointing to see the Ina machine continue to churn out these flawed procedures and concepts.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Secondly she studs the onion with cloves and drops it in the pot where we all see that half that onion and cloves will never contribute to the dish. So when I made it, I put the cloves on the half that would actually be in the water. If I try the recipe again, I'll just use half an onion and stud it with half the cloves to correct the flavor balance.

If you cut the onion in half, wouldn't exposing the cut surface impart a lot more (& maybe a lot harsher) onion flavor than just floating a whole uncut onion would? Might be better to just stir the pot now & then to turn the whole onion (studded with cloves) over a few times.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

It could possibly be a little stronger, but these are lentils. A stronger onion flavor would be beneficial. When I made my lentils, the onion basically stayed put. Four cups of water in a pot was too shallow to cover the onion and the cloves made nice feet. As the lentils cooked, the mixture got thicker, so even if the onion was cut in half, the cut end could easily avoid submersion. It just appeared to be a waste of a half an onion.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

It's been a long time since I checked out Ina's website (barefootcontessa.com) -- major changes in look and content. Ina has a blog and at this point only one entry, about a show that will be broadcast in August. An unexpected guest and no mention of Ask Ina.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Sorry. Can't seem to post. Something is wrong here.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, May 9, 2012 @ 3:14 PM.

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Rescuing Ina from the second page.

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I caught the last 10 minutes of BC earlier today (Ina takes a Greek dinner to friends' incredibly stunning new home on the water...looks like the bay). Dwyer was putting together a fruit dessert that looked very good - but there wasn't much info' about it...plain yogurt with some honey mixed into it that I guess would be poured over mixed berries?? I'm wondering if that dessert was one of Ina's.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

Ina takes a Greek dinner

Is that the show where she makes patitsio? Has anyone ever made Ina's recipe? It looks so good.

Edited by wallybear, May 14, 2012 @ 5:44 PM.

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

The pastitsio was the Surprise dinner in the "secret" garden with Jeffrey (also included that wonderful watermelon, feta and maybe arugula salad with a delicious citrus vinaigrette). This Greek dinner had spanakopitas (sp?) as an appetizer. Ina grilled marinated lamb, then some pita, and served it with a big Greek salad. They never showed them having dessert so maybe it was Dwyer's own recipe (odd). Maybe I'll just experiment...stir in a bit of honey into plain yogurt and pour over berries. The view of the bay or inlet from the homeowners' patio/swimming pool was stunning.

Edited by park914, May 14, 2012 @ 5:58 PM.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Is that the show where she makes patitsio? Has anyone ever made Ina's recipe? It looks so good.

I've made it a couple of times and it is delicious. However you need to take notes from the actual airing because the online recipe is wrong and they won't correct it. I think the online recipe tells you to add the eggs to the meat sauce, when the eggs are only for the bechemel. And another STRONG warning. In the episode, Ina doesn't drain the lamb after browning. So unless you want a whole cup of lamb fat clogging up your patitsio, that stuff must be drained. I also don't bother putting the meat sauce in the bechemel. She did it because she wanted it pink, which I found stupid and I didn't understand having random pieces of meat floating around the bechemel.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Duplicate

Edited by NeedISayMore, May 15, 2012 @ 10:52 AM.

MelsW

MelsW

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

However you need to take notes from the actual airing because the online recipe is wrong and they won't correct it.

Sounds like 90% of Food Network's recipes!

Has anyone made Ina's shrimp salad? I need a packable picnic lunch for a shrimp lover and this may fit the bill. Sadly, I will not be serving my picnic lunch Ina-style on a windy cold beach in Chinese take-out containers. Most of Ina's recipes involving mayo or any sort of dressing usually have way too much for my liking. Her chicken curry salad is practically mayo soup, in my opinion. Is this recipe worth making and does it need dressing modification?

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Which shrimp salad? She has so many variations on a theme. I love the one with the feta and dill.