Barefoot Contessa

• Please log in to reply

25562 replies to this topic

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Sorry, just catching up with my recordings.

I know the granola was supposed to be served in those big cups instead of a bowl, but where was the milk?
The flowers in the egg shells was just plain silly to me, but I am sure Ina thought it was great because Michael thought of it. And we know Michael and Miguel can do no wrong.

There was milk on the table. Miguel put it there during his shoot. However, based on how they produced the show, it was sitting there before Ina started the 40 minutes second part baking of the blintz, and possibly even before. That was going to be a foul container of milk by the time they sat down. I wonder whose bright idea it was to have an all sugar brunch? That meal was in desperate need of a savory dish.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

Like Mlle Poilane, I have made Ina's Chicken Piccata and it is superb. Now that you mention it, Mlle, I think I might have left out the capers.

I think I say this every time it comes up on this board, but Ina's chicken piccata recipe does not have capers in it. Personally, I love capers and I think they are what makes the dish, so I add them, but Ina does not.

Ina's recipe in case anyone wants to check.

Edited by vera charles, Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:51 AM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

I detest capers, so hearing that Ina's picata is great & doesn't call for them makes me want to try it out- thanks!

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Wallybear, Ina's recipes does call for capers, but I just leave them out. It's absolutely delicious -- my favorite meal of Ina's, I think, and so easy! We just love it!

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Does she have two chicken piccata recipes, then? (Not that Ina has fewer than eight recipes for any given dish.) Assuming her recipe called for capers as most do, I never gave Ina's chicken piccata recipe a look because I hate capers. But looking at the recipe via the link posted by Vera Charles (and I think it has been brought up before, as she noted), it does not call for capers. If there is another one that does include capers, I have not yet found it.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

I associate piccata with capers, not sure why now, (love them, if you don't like them in a recipe, IMO just eliminate) but by this definition, including capers is not the part of the dish.

pic·ca·ta
   [pi-kah-tuh; It. peek-kah-tah] Show IPA

adjective Italian Cookery .
cooked, served, or sauced with lemon and parsley: veal piccata.

I associate the dish with butter in addition to lemon and parsley.

Piccata definition

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

You will find this same discussion multiple times, all along this thread, every time this topic comes up. Ina's recipe from the FN website, linked above, does not include capers. It is also printed in the Barefoot Contessa At Home cookbook, sans capers.

lola zee

lola zee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

Chicken piccata is a favorite dish of mine as it's quick, almost fail proof to make and delicous. I have several recipes for it including Giada's and Martha Stewart's. Ina's is the only one that leaves out capers. It's sort of a characteristic of the dish and I like those little salty bursts of flavor the capers add.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

I've always been partial to Cook's Illustrated's chicken piccata recipe... I think it's the sauce that really makes it. I'm not a huge fan of capers but I always leave them in because Mr White enjoys capers, and when I serve it up, I just give him extra capers and leave them off my plate. I think I like the briny tweak to the sauce but I don't necessarily like chomping down on them.

Has anyone tried the Chicken and Biscuits recipe? I was surfing her top 100 on FN (most of them involving chicken), and that one caught my eye. Looks delicious!

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

I think I like the briny tweak to the sauce but I don't necessarily like chomping down on them.

I hate the texture, & also the appearance. Yuck!

Has anyone tried the Chicken and Biscuits recipe? I was surfing her top 100 on FN (most of them involving chicken), and that one caught my eye. Looks delicious!

Has Ina ever made this on the show? I haven't seen it. I love chicken & biscuits, so I'd love to try hers if anyone has made it & likes it.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

I've made her chicken and biscuits, excellent!

The chicken is her basic pot pie (be it lobster, veggie, etc).

However, I didn't make the biscuits since I was making it for a friend whose husband was in the hosspital for an extended period of time. I did Pepperridge Farms puff pasties to put it into so it would be "fresh".

Highly recommend it - as a pot pie especially. I've always wanted to make it again.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info, maggie010! I will definitely bookmark the recipe and try it out... and the use of the puff pastry sounds soooo good!

FYI this afternoon FN is replaying a Kid's Picnic episode, for anyone who hasn't seen it (myself included).

Edited by whitepepper, Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:52 AM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Maggie, that was a valuable tip you gave about using puff pastry. I've never made Ina's chicken pot pie, and that tip is a time saver. Thanks for the good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of it!

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

that was a valuable tip you gave about using puff pastry. I've never made Ina's chicken pot pie

I agree- love the idea of the puff pastry, esp. because I loathe making pastry- never do it- I buy the Pillsbury refrigerated kind instead!

I've made Ina's chicken pot pie, Mlle. Poillane- & no surprise, it's great!

tahitigirl

tahitigirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I really didn't like seeing those little girls drinking out of cocktail glasses.

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

http://foodnetworkhumor.com/

Love these faaabulous "Glamour Shots" of Ina and Paula!

CaliBabyDolly

CaliBabyDolly

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Yes I thought the same thing about those girls drinking out of the martini glasses. It was like watching the Sex In The City gals at 11 yrs old practiciing for the Cosmopolitans! The whole party was way too over the top PINK but I will say Ina did make alot of things from scratch in this episode. The adult onion pizza looked terrible to me. No sauce or olive oil or cheese! I wonder if any of the parents ate it? Also Ina knows nothing about true kid friendly foods (except candy) because most kids would not like Tomatoes and fresh mott. cheese on their pizza. Not any I know.

I think Ina had a blast throwing the party shed dreamed of as a girl though. It looked fun. Miguel sure had fun too, possibly this was the party hed always dreamed about as a little boy!?

I could not get that food network humor page to load. Wonder why?

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Also Ina knows nothing about true kid friendly foods (except candy) because most kids would not like Tomatoes and fresh mott. cheese on their pizza. Not any I know.

My mom made plenty of pizza when I was a kid, and while I remember eating traditional offerings, I also remember a broccoli, chicken and sundried tomato version I still make today, plus things like spinach and artichoke hearts, varieties of cheese and different sauces. I liked some more than others as a child, but fresh mozzarella and ripe tomatoes from the garden? I'd have been all over that.

Now, would most kids? Maybe not, depending on what they are used to eating at home (I have no idea; I avoid children like the plague). Were these the children of some of Ina's foodie friends? If so, she might have known they had more experienced palates. Or maybe it's just that she is clueless about kids and should really stop having them on her show.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Or maybe it was because that's the type of pizza she wanted to demonstrate. I'm convinced that many of the choices that don't seem to fit the situation or guest list are there because they're what Ina wants to highlight so become part of the story line. I also know kids who would have been all over the tomato/mozzarella pizza and a couple who would have loved the one made for the adults.

Edited by schnauzerlover, Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:30 PM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I didn't particularly enjoy this episode when I saw it. I did think that pizza was a great choice for kids. I imagine, if they were hungry, they were glad to have it. I think the girls most enjoyed decorating the cake, though. It got their creative juices flowing, and they liked that -- even if I cringed over all that sugar!

The pizza that Ina made for the parents is a famous French pizza recipe. If the parents liked French food, they liked the pizza, but I wouldn't have. You'd have to love anchovies!
I disagreed that serving those little girls pink punch in martini glasses was the wisest thing, but as Ina would say, "It's the Hamptons!"

CaliBabyDolly

CaliBabyDolly

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

Yes, I know that onion pizza was from her Barefoot in Paris cookbook, but it still looked gross to me. I like lots of weird pizzas too for a person that never had a real pizza growing up. My mother cracked open some biscuits, smashed them down and spread on some tomato paste right out of can like Ina did and topped it with 1 slice of american cheese with 1 precooked brown n serve sausage sliced up! It was a nightmare.

If I was at Inas party I would have thought Id died and went to heaven. I am just saying the kids I know never like fresh tomatoes, but I dont know those Hamptonites either like Ina does. I guess the cocktail glasses just seemed like pushing alcohol....but when I was 11 we "smoked" candy cigarettes!

They all had fun and they surely did not run out of stuff to eat. The cake looked incredible.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

I guess the cocktail glasses just seemed like pushing alcohol....but when I was 11 we "smoked" candy cigarettes!

Oh, I remember those! I'm not any more bothered by the cocktail glasses than I am by the existence of things like a Shirley Temple; they just seem a way to provide the kids with an age-appropriate way of feeling like part of an adult gathering. I think there are numerous other aspects of a child's upbringing that will determine whether alcohol is glorified or simply regarded as a choice adults are free to make; the use of a cocktail glass seems harmless in and of itself.

financialgal

financialgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:11 AM

Too funny about the "glamour shots" pictures. Still, to this day, I laugh when I see an obituary for some woman in her 80s or 90s and the picture posted is a decades old glamour shot. The last one I saw had the teased out full hair and a boa around the neck. Wow, I remember all those but just something funny about seeing that pic used for an obit.

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Back to the birthday picnic for the kids: that pizza looked very unappealing to me and the way the kids were eating it made me think they were not too thrilled (like kids who love the blue box mac & cheese not being thrilled with the real deal mac & cheese). Ina used plain flour I believe so, IMO, that crust couldn't taste like "real" pizza crust (it looked "bready" to me). But the OTT pink theme & that pink cake were right up my alley - loved it!

Wow - Glamour Shots photos used in the obits! I don't know if I've ever seen that (the boas and the special GS "pose")...maybe I have seen it but didn't recognize it as a GS. Does Glamour Shots still exist? And who does Ina look like in her GS photo with that big-hair 'do?

CaliBabyDolly

CaliBabyDolly

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

I have been trying to perfect pizza crust for over 20 yrs....and mine still normally turn out like Inas, bready looking. I have tried Americas Test Kitchen recipes and secrets and the last one did not use yeast. It was supposed to be more thin and crackerlike. It was just ok. I have made it in the bread machine and by hand and my take on crispy crusts is you have to make it paper thin and have the right oven temp and pan or stone.

I will never stop trying to make pizza at home though. I have also grilled it and that is very good at times, but lots of panicky work. Remember when TR manned the grill for Inas Barefoot Reunion party? Those pizzas did not have sauce either, so were actually more like focaccia w/ toppings. I recall the bottle of Pepto Bismal awarded to the winner.

As a side note; I have spotted TR in Kohls and Macys ads lately. I wonder if Ina will ever have him on again?

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

That's really odd (about the disappearance on BC of TR). Other old friends have popped up recently (like Eli, Michael and Miguel)after a long absence, so where's good old TR? Ina has always let us know how much she adores him, how she's known him since he was a 15 year old working at the BC store, so I find it odd.

I guess I shouldn't have criticized Ina's pizza crust since I still haven't worked up the courage to try out my "new" pizza stone (that I bought over a year ago!). My excuse has been that I need to get to a special Italian store to buy OO flour but that excuse is rather thin after a year ;>)

Heard from my sister that the wedding rehearsal party was on yesterday - missed it again, darn it. There's something about 11 AM on a Saturday that somehow makes me forget to turn BC on...wish she'd return to 1:00 or 1:30 PM.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Heard from my sister that the wedding rehearsal party was on yesterday - missed it again, darn it. There's something about 11 AM on a Saturday that somehow makes me forget to turn BC on...wish she'd return to 1:00 or 1:30 PM.

Wish all you want but since FN has decided thou shalt not have any "how to cook" shows on weekend afternoons, it is all competitions and triple D after noon.

I made Ina's chicken piccata tonight. Wow - what a winner. I added capers that the recipe does not call for because we like them. I was skeptical of the initial brown in the pan and finish in the oven, but the chicken was perfect. Not over or under cooked, just right, moist and tasty. The sauce was wonderful. Not an everyday dish, but definitely something to add to what I would serve to guests. (I never make a dish the first time for guests).

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I made Ina's oven-fried chicken yesterday. Really easy, except for the part where you have to plan in advance to marinate it overnight in buttermilk. I also mixed some Italian breadcrumbs - Giada fusion? - garlic salt and red pepper flakes into the flour mix for some extra flavoring. I wasn't sure how it would turn out with skinless meat (organic from Costco), but it was still good!

But when making a lot of it, it's hard to use the same pot & oil - mine eventually got too polluted with flour. Or maybe it's because I was turning the pieces over too early so the breading was coming off more than it should... Time to watch the video and see how she does it...

Edited by NicoleMN6, May 2, 2012 @ 10:20 AM.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

Wish all you want but since FN has decided thou shalt not have any "how to cook" shows on weekend afternoons, it is all competitions and triple D after noon.

Hilarious! That's the main reason I watch TCC now... they actually have *gasp* cooking shows! Although, I have to admit I do miss "In the Kitchen" weekday afternoons... I learned so much while using it as background noise while studying in college.

But when making a lot of it, how does she use the same pot & oil - mine eventually got too polluted with flour. Or maybe it's because I was turning the pieces over too early so the breading was coming off more than it should.

I take a note from America's Test Kitchen and Alton Brown: after breading, dust off any excess and then let the pieces rest on a cooling rack for a few minutes prior to frying. The excess gets absorbed by the buttermilk better and it maintains a better, more cohesive crust when frying. It also means less bits and pieces floating around the oil. Or, you could strain the oil into another pot after frying the first batch, if you're really careful.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Today's episode where Ina sends her assistant Barbara a gift basket had some of the worst acting I've seen on BC. I wonder what gave it away to Barbara that Ina was behind the food? Was it the Barefoot Contessa coffee box or the half dozen production crew inside her house? Hmm.