Barefoot Contessa

• Please log in to reply

25562 replies to this topic

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Thanks for the tip, Mlle Poilane! I'm going to check out Crate & Barrel for these leaves. Actually, I really love the fruit platters that Ina does - they're so beautiful. Oh - watching one of the repeats yesterday (birthday dinner for Robert) I remember thinking: this sure is an old show because the lucky diners are going to get not only the lamb but also some sides! And no "Semi" shortcuts - just gorgeous, delicious food made "from scratch"...I wanted to dive through the TV screen into that potato/fennel gratin. I've got a question about the dessert. Does one really have to buy one of those special ceramic dishes with holes in the bottom to make it? How much drains off overnight? She didn't show this. Where would I find this kind of special dish? Has anyone here made it? Lots of questions :>)

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Park, please check your PMs.

Artistictype

Artistictype

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

N has been replaying some old episodes lately (2004)

Yesterday they reran an episode where she said she'd be cooking lunch for the guys working on her barn. At first I was excited it was gonna be the infamous one where she had a centerpiece made of giant paint brushes and other tools (cause manly men don't want to look at flowers, I guess.) But alas no, it was a newer one.

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Yesterday they reran an episode where she said she'd be cooking lunch for the guys working on her barn. At first I was excited it was gonna be the infamous one where she had a centerpiece made of giant paint brushes and other tools (cause manly men don't want to look at flowers, I guess.) But alas no, it was a newer one

If I remember correctly, the episode with the tablescape of tools and brushes, was the Dick and the windmill episode. What they showed the other day was probably an episode with the people who built her barn where she films her shows now. That's my guess, I didn't see it.
Nothing beats the windmill episode , watching Ina climb up the ladder and the guy behind her.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

I agree with you, Baysu. Dick and the Windmill was bad! lol Still, for me, the worst will always be "Kids In A Candy Store." Those spooky kids and their quiet parents always make me laugh or cry! "Bad" also brings to mind "Dinner for the Boss" when Ina served her boss and family meatloaf in the kitchen!

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

I agree with you, Baysu. Dick and the Windmill was bad! lol Still, for me, the worst will always be "Kids In A Candy Store." Those spooky kids and their quiet parents always make me laugh or cry! "Bad" also brings to mind "Dinner for the Boss" when Ina served her boss and family meatloaf in the kitchen!

Please, FN, can you air these episodes? The only one I have seen is Dick and the Windmill, and I would love to watch some bad BC!

Today it's a brisket dinner with chopped chicken livers, and then dinner for Michael with fried chicken and deep dish apple pie. Yum!

PitifullyHooked

PitifullyHooked

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

I'm late to this party but the Baby's First Bash episode was a head-shaker for me. If the microwave popcorn "appetizer" wasn't bad enough, Ina simply tosses some turkey meatballs into a pot of jarred spaghetti sauce? Really, Dear?? To my taste, I've never had a grocery-shelf pasta sauce that didn't need some serious doctoring (and that doesn't always do the trick, either). No salad, no bread.....huh?? Then, there's yet another in the endless list of crumbles. And after the crumble, do we really need S'Mores?

This brings me to the lighting. Bare bulbs hanging in a few trees and what appeared to be 3 round paper lanterns of some type. How FANTASTIC!!! Between the campfire and the piss-poor amount of light out there, I was expecting to see the troops sitting around telling ghost stories before it was all over.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Well, if it isn't Pitifully Hooked darkening our door! Great to see you again!!!

Thanks for clarifying what the balls were made of. I was trying to figure them out, but I needed a good close up. Compared to the delicate lighting that Greg did before, those two huge moons seemed odd. I was as surprised as you were when Ina pulled out a jar of spaghetti sauce (Rao's, no less!). I thought for a minute that I was watching Aunt Sandy. The episode was not up to Ina's usual standards, IMHO.

PitifullyHooked

PitifullyHooked

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Mlle Poilane!! Thanks for the greetings. Nice to see you, too!

You're right--this episode smacked of Aunt Sandy. Truth be told, Ina probably could've used some of Snadra's spice packets for that spaghetti sauce and you know Sandy would have had better lighting in order to view her "new baby" tablescrape, complete with an assortment of "kiddie kocktails".

Ms Hepburn

Ms Hepburn

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Just had to mention that my family enjoyed a lot of BC recipes this Easter. Standing rib roast, abcolutely delicious, apple crisp and outrageous brownies to round the meal out.

ClassicTV

ClassicTV

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Saw an episode I have never seen before, a dinner for the Libermans(?)granchild. Was a little suprised at spicy meatballs when kids are being served. Also a repeat of Miguel and yet another round of salmon and lentils. Although she does many cheese boards I always like watching her choices and how she decorates them. Channeling Ina I put together a cheese board for an office party and everyone loved it, it was the most talked about of all the party food contributions.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Today at 4pm: Ina serves Miguel salmon & lentils.

Today at 4:30pm: Ina serves Miguel Asian salmon.

I never noticed before that Miguel was Mr. Salmon. Perhaps we should send him some salmon pants.

BC1795

BC1795

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

I never noticed before that Miguel was Mr. Salmon. Perhaps we should send him some salmon pants.

Sorry, those would belong to Michael the florist.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

There is a such a difference between Ina's new shows and her old ones. I loved seeing the Miguel episode from 2005 today. I love that salmon recipe and I love seeing Miguel. But I gotta ask, did anyone think it was weird that along with his shoes, he also took off his socks?

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

i was thinking the same thing Whitney! I wonder if Ina keeps spare houseshoes by the door for her guests.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

I never noticed that Michael ditched his socks! That's pure Michael! In every episode I've seen with Michael, he has always made himself right at home! I don't think he has one pretension! In another episode, when Ina cooked him a fried chicken dinner, he had no qualms about taking two pieces of chicken while he was served. I think he is totally delightful! I don't understand why Ina doesn't have him on more often. For me, he's a huge draw for watching her show -- a bigger draw than Ina is!

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I remember that episode - it's the one where he's having a very hectic day, delivering beautiful flower arrangements to the stunning homes of the Hamptons (and I believe he's wearing his beloved pink crewneck sweater ;>) Michael is my #1 favorite Ina friend; Valerie is #2 (but I do love Frank's very subtle humor). Is Ina's fried chicken any good? I can't remember the last time I made fried chicken (her Parmesan Chicken is great).

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

Is Ina's fried chicken any good?

Ina's oven-fried chicken is faaaaabulous. I love it w/ some mashed potatoes...great. Now I'm hungry for fried chicken, LOL. Try it, you will not be disappointed (& it's really easy, too).

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:07 PM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

I love making Ina's Chicken Piccata, only we don't care for capers. I leave them out, and I think the chicken probably resembles her Parmesan Chicken. Whatever it is, it's wonderful!
I also love her Chicken and Biscuits done my way. I make the chicken part, but I don't put the biscuits on because we both love those refrigerator biscuits with all the layers. I bake a tray of those to put her chicken on. It's the same thing, just done a little differently. It's one of the best comfort foods in the world!

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Finally caught the "Nursery" food episode. The meatballs looked good, though I'm always a little leery of using ground turkey because it's not my favorite thing.

The mother of the newborn seemed rather unimpressed and uncomfortable at the party,

But *this* part was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen Ina try to pull off in one of her faux soirees. Who makes a mom with a newborn and a toddler sit outside in the dark, in the cold, to eat spaghetti and salad? Baby in one arm, all the while doing her best to simply keep the toddler from covering himself with spaghetti.

I know it's fake, but anything she does with children is so stupid. She really has no clue what to do with them.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

The mother of the newborn seemed rather unimpressed and uncomfortable at the party,

But *this* part was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen Ina try to pull off in one of her faux soirees. Who makes a mom with a newborn and a toddler sit outside in the dark, in the cold, to eat spaghetti and salad? Baby in one arm, all the while doing her best to simply keep the toddler from covering himself with spaghetti.

I know it's fake, but anything she does with children is so stupid. She really has no clue what to do with them.

The thoughtful hostess would have either suggested or provided child-care for the little ones so that the adults could relax and have fun in an admittedly adult venue. This was definitely not a child-friendly venue. But our dear Ina and her dear friends are not likely to notice that, now are they?

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Everytime Ina entertains outdoors it always ends up going awry. I think back to her first spaghetti and meatballs supper when she had her boss, Steven, came over for dinner. She had the table set up pretty far away from the house and kept walking back and forth. I still laugh thinking of her and that big ass bowl of spaghetti under one arm and a basket of bread under the other. Then she made the ice cream sodas which her were a mess. Everyone just seemed so uncomfortable. And of course, her beach side parties always look miserable. It's always freezing and everyone ends up standing around eating and trying to stay warm. I think the Lady Garten should stick to indoor entertaining.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

I think back to her first spaghetti and meatballs supper when she had her boss, Steven, came over for dinner.

Don't remind me of that fiasco! That was such an uncomfortable situation all the way around.
I don't know why Ina insists on serving spaghetti outside! I would think the people in charge of the storyline would know by now that it just doesn't work. I would think that Ina would know! I felt that the office people didn't want to be there in the first place, which made it difficult for Ina. She kept "jollying it up" with that nervous laugh of hers. Then, the spaghetti and the sodas didn't help matters. A sad episode.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

There's an article in the latest Wine Spectator about the vineyards of the eastern end of Long Island, particularly on the North Fork. Given Ina's fondness for promoting local businesses, it seems odd that she has never done a show in conjunction with one of them. Although, even as I type this I'm having unpleasant memories of Sandypoo's vineyard show.

Edited by Sarcastico, Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:03 PM.

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Great thought, Sarcastico! I wonder why they haven't already done a BC episode that could involve preparing picnic food for a trip to one of the LI vineyards. Altho'I do remember Jack taking some friends on a tour of the Hamptons and the last tour involved a very brief (for us to see) visit to a vineyard (where he picked up a 3 pack that he presented to Ina in exchange for a lobster or crab salad supper; remember, she said she'd drink her supper?) Well, whoever is responsible for coming up with BC storyline ideas needs to find another job because they're getting worse. Someone should post a sign in the production office: No Kids & No Spaghetti & Meatballs Outdoors!

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I wonder why they haven't already done a BC episode that could involve preparing picnic food for a trip to one of the LI vineyards.

There's your story/hook for the ep. She could make 3 or 4 picnic-type dishes, 1 for each winery, pack up the car, drive to each one, and sample the wine at each place. Since there are about 40, and they're so close together, this would be an easy show to plan. A friend and I did a trip through the Virginia wine country last September, and there were plenty of people doing just that -- hauling big baskets of food from winery to winery and spreading out on the patios or on the lawns. They encourage that kind of thing. And you can buy wine by the glass too, making it even easier.

Edited by Sarcastico, Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:11 PM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I went to the FN website today to see about any new Ina shows. Sorry to say that they're all reruns through May.

PitifullyHooked

PitifullyHooked

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Like Mlle Poilane, I have made Ina's Chicken Piccata and it is superb. Now that you mention it, Mlle, I think I might have left out the capers. If I did, it was a screw-up because they're fine by me but the dish was delicious.
But don't get me started on my Outrageous Brownies fiasco...........

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Today was the infamous pooch party. Why is it always freezing when Ina goes to the beach? Anyway, this episode marked the first time I had noticed her teeth sucking. When I first saw the episode I thought there was something wrong with my television speakers, then I realized it was her. As for the food, the potato salad is delicious but I don't care for the chocolate frosting she made. It tastes like chocolate flavored butter.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

I may be the only person in the world who likes the pooch party episode, probably because those dogs are so cute.

I've been looking for a good fudge-like icing recipe, so I read the reviews of this cake at the FN site -- decidedly mixed, which gives me pause -- but this one made me laugh:

I personaly don't like chocolate, but if I did I had to say it was good. I got terribly sick after I ate it, though.