Barefoot Contessa

• Please log in to reply

25561 replies to this topic

Bearsy

Bearsy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 3:40 PM

a "let's treat Ina" show is definitely in order

But since the show is called "Barefoot Contessa," meaning Ina herself, I have no interest in seeing her friends cooking. I want to see her cooking, because it's her cooking show. If it were just showing her friends making her something, then it's more like a lifestyle show or a special show (a la Paula Deen's wedding show or something), but not an appropriate BC episode.

Still, I think it's nice in theory, and I certainly hope that her friends do that for her in her personal life! Or maybe they could show her friends in the last minutes of the show giving her a Thank You cake or something as the wrap-up, rather than the usual shots of them sitting around a table drinking or toasting marshmallows or whatever.

Plumbago Blue

Plumbago Blue

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 3:44 PM

Thanks for mentioning the Loaves and Fishes lady's ep: I totally remember thinking how odd that whole thing was. Just like the Bed and Breakfast couple that she took up to their room and made them stay there til she called them for dinner. Obviously there is some reason for her alone-ness while cooking and I must hope that it is her choice and not some producer's idea of staging the get together. I can't imagine she's really that introverted nor shy (though that nervous titter may have SOME validity) since she's accomplished so much in her professional life. Though, thinking back, there are even more examples...during some of the "delivery of the Christmas goodies" eps, some of the friends just meet her at the door, or come OUT to the freezing porch, rather than inviting her in. Hmmm. Then, too, I get to thinking why she's not saying "How easy/hard/wonderful/bad is THAT?" to a real person vs a camera. I think I now want to see her in a professional kitchen and not at home. That way I'd not expect to see any genuine social interaction. I DO want more eps. I still rate her so highly for her calm, controlled, intelligent demeanor.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 4:16 PM

I imagine that its actually just part of the filming, that they don't actually show up early and the film the cooking segments at a different time then the guest segments.

nh lass

nh lass

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 7:27 PM

Maybe it's a television thing. Maybe it's the failure of the producers and directors to "get the best" out of Ina's guests on screen. But does anybody really think that when the director yells "cut" Ina's buddies all of a sudden drop the "ice man" routine and warm up? I don't think so.

I don't think for a minute that these are Ina's really close friends, or that these events are "genuine", I think they are made for TV, created for an "episode" and a "menu". They are forced to stick to a script and a schedule, and they look awkward and forced at times. It is, after all, COOKING show, we would hardly appreciate watching Ina cook one thing and then spending the whole afternoon gasbagging with her friends instead of showing us how to make what she's serving. I take it all with a giant grain of salt, and just enjoy her (mostly) quietness and really really good recipes. They're not real parties, they're made-for-tv parties.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 12:19 AM

during some of the "delivery of the Christmas goodies" eps, some of the friends just meet her at the door, or come OUT to the freezing porch, rather than inviting her in. Hmmm.

That episode definitely had me wondering about some of Ina's "friends." The visits and hugs were very awkward.

msfurious1

msfurious1

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 2:27 PM

They're not real parties, they're made-for-tv parties.

I think that we all know this and I think that we, as regular FN viewers, can play along to watch Ina so that we get the wonderful recipes that she shares. As far as real recipes and real cooking, it's one of the better FN shows on over there.
When Ina is in the kitchen cooking by herself she's at ease talking to the camera (viewers). When there is interaction with the "friends/guests". Not so much.
So the blame can go to her producers because they are doing a crappy job of conveying what they want to convey...that she is all about entertaining and is the hostess with the mostess. When they show her hostessing, she and the guests look and sound uncomfortable, and many have commented on it. Her friends (and even hubby Jeffrey most of time) suck at being on camera.
I think that it's a sure thing that she is "friends" with Eli Zabar, Anna Pump, Patricia Wells, and maybe she really does pal around with fellow Hamptonians such as her florist, the birthday boy Stephen, T.R. Pescod, miguel and her gardener Edwina etc., so I don't know why they so often all come off as sort of creepy to me.
On Michael Chiarello's and Giada's show, when they have their "friends" over to attend a party or cook along, at least their producers make what we all know isn't for real, seem sort of believable.
Still, I look forward to all new shows, because I love her recipes and watching her prepare them in that great kitchen.
Here are some new show descriptions that feature some more of her friends and neighbors with some airdates.

Episode IG0503- July 23, 2005 12:30 PM ET/PT
Dinner and a Movie
Ina makes a French Movie inspired meal for her Wednesday night movie buddies. They rent the movie and Ina makes a meal of Chicken with Garlic cloves, Moroccan Cous Cous and for a sweet finish - Ice Cream Bomb.
Episode IG0504-July 30, 2005 12:30 PM ET/PT
Lunch for the Boys
Ina's good friend Dick Baxter restores listed buildings in East Hampton in exchange for a tour around the sights. Ina makes lunch on the porch for his team of builders. To keep these builders strong Ina makes Mini Meatloaves, Buttercream Mashed Potatoes, Brussels sprouts and lardons, and Brownie Pie.
Episode IG0507
Cooking with Tess
Ina helps her friends daughter Tess cook a surprise dinner for her mum. This is party planning and a cooking master class combined - with recipes for Crab Cakes, Celeriac Roumolade Salad, and Lemon Meringue Tart
Episode IG0509-August 27, 2005 12:30 PM ET/PT
Beach Volleyball Picnic
Ina puts together a portable feast to eat at the beach while watching her friend's daughter play volleyball. She makes a high energy snack for the teams and lunch for the spectators. Recipes include: Curried Chicken Wraps, Panzanella, and Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars.
Episode IG0510
Barefoot Reunion
It's the Barefoot anniversary and Ina makes Barefoot classic recipoes for her original team. This will be a nostalgic recipe trip with great stories to reminisce about. Recipes include: BBQ ribs, Potato Salad, Blue Cheese Coleslaw, and Chocolate Ganache cup cakes

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 3:46 PM

Bleu Cheese Coleslaw? Yum.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 4:02 PM

Wah! Ice cream bomb? That reminds me of one of Sandra Lee's "recipes."

Bearsy

Bearsy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 4:29 PM

Wah! Ice cream bomb? That reminds me of one of Sandra Lee's "recipes."

Too true. But real ice cream bombs are so neat! You know that cake pan they keep advertising on TV where you can make a rounded cake with an opening in the middle so you can fill it with something? It comes with just a round baking bowl, and you could make awesome bombs with that thing!

nh lass

nh lass

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 8:38 PM

So the blame can go to her producers because they are doing a crappy job of conveying what they want to convey...that she is all about entertaining and is the hostess with the mostess. When they show her hostessing, she and the guests look and sound uncomfortable, and many have commented on it. Her friends (and even hubby Jeffrey most of time) suck at being on camera.

ITA - GACK - the show where poor Jeffrey (who I think is an adorable teddy bear muffin) had to go buy Ina an espresso machine was painful, so very NOT impromptu, he tries to play along, but clearly, none of them are very good actors.

Ina's good friend Dick Baxter restores listed buildings in East Hampton in exchange for a tour around the sights. Ina makes lunch on the porch for his team of builders.

Now THAT could be either very entertaining, or very very painful to watch. I will have faith that Ina will pull it off, it sounds delicious. I'm guessing if they're kept on the porch they wont be dressing for dinner. ;)

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 8:59 PM

These builders might be Ina's first non-pretentious guests (not including Jeffrey, of course).

Edited by Helter Skelter, Jul 12, 2005 @ 9:01 PM.

spillage

spillage

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 10:43 PM

I think that it's a sure thing that she is "friends" with Eli Zabar, Anna Pump, Patricia Wells, and maybe she really does pal around with fellow Hamptonians such as her florist, the birthday boy Stephen, T.R. Pescod, miguel and her gardener Edwina etc., so I don't know why they so often all come off as sort of creepy to me.

I forgot there were two "birthday boys" (and probably others, too). Stephen, I believe, is the older birthday boy, whom Ina taught how to cook indonesian chicken and gave that salt demonstration to. His partner is the very thin cadaveresque patrician-looking gentleman. They both seem very nice. I'd love to have them as friends. Although Stephen's partner in this episode said at the end, in a lockjaw gayish way, "I know...Ina is such a great teacher" or something like that. I think he was trying to be nice, but I still had to snort when he said it. And it seemed kind of sychophantic.

The other birthday boy I was referring to, and whom Scheckie thought was the cute one on the beach, is evidently Robert Stilin, an interior designer according to some googling I did. On the foodnetwork site, they mispelled it as Stillin, and this is the description of the episode:

Birthday Gift Dinner
It's Ina's friend Robert Stillin Birthday [sic] and she's making him a special
Birthday dinner. Rack of Lamb Pissaldiere, Potato and Fennel Gratin,
Sautéed Carrots and Coeur a La Crème with fruit sauce. This is a
perfect gift for the man who has everything.

Wow, he does have everything. I guess I was right in saying that he struck me as pleasantly rich (if being rich is a part of having everything.....I have a feeling it is).

Here is a picture of him at the newyorksocialdiary.com
site. Not a great picture. Mostly looks like a young Hannibal Lector. The picture of him is at the bottom of the page, if you don't care to look through all the party pics. And looks like his work is featured in Elle DECOR magazine.

Still can't tell if he's gay or straight. Interior designer says gay. Maybe he's another straight-looking-and-acting gay friend of Ina's. I didn't detect a gay accent when he talked, although I assumed right away in the birthday party episode that he was gay. Nevertheless, I don't know why I obsess over these things. I guess I'm just hell-bent on knowing everyone's sexual orientation. You'd think I didn't have a life, but this is what I do for entertainment.

sundevilpeg

sundevilpeg

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 11:00 PM

LOFL - "a gay accent"?! Hello!

Guido

Guido

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 8:45 AM

why they so often all come off as sort of creepy to me

Yes, the Stepford friends. So many of them look very waxy.

spillage

spillage

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 8:52 AM

That's the term my friend uses, and he's gay. Now that I think of it, he's the only one that uses it; I just thought it was the lingo. But it's meant to refer to the way gay men talk that identifies them as gay. For instance, actors and comedians use it to signify they are playing a gay man. Ina's florist friend definitely has a gay accent. I've come across straight men who have it, so it's not only gay guys. It's a slight lisp and the pitch of the voice is a bit higher, and a certain way of enunciating words and a way of phrasing.

Edited by spillage, Jul 13, 2005 @ 8:54 AM.

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 5:15 PM

OT: Many of the more ostentatious gay men that I know sound like Valley Girls. Is that the gay accent to which you refer?

I've noticed that Ina is on at 5pm, followed by SLoP at 5:30. Is this going to be a regular thing? Because if so, that's awesome. I really hated those (for lack of a better word) dopey shows they used to force on me, i.e., Calorie Commando and some kind of Carb Counting program. I'm sorry, but those shows suck.

Glark

Glark

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 11:26 AM

Let's not go down the gay-men-are-defined-by-the-way-they-talk road. That road leads us away from 2005.

feminaformosa

feminaformosa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 1:41 PM

I totally want to see the "Ina cooks for contractors" episode! My dad is a contractor, and he and the people that work for him are as pretty anti-Hamptonian as you can get. I'm sure her friend is probably a rich guy who has enough money to pal around doing restoration work, but probably not his workers!

I made the lemonade that she did in the pink birthday episode, but I left out the grenadine and maraschino cherries (hate those cherries). Sooooo good. Score another one for Ina.

I can't remember who said it, but to whoever said they were not excited about Barefoot in Paris, I understand. I didn't think I was going to buy it, myself, but changed my mind. I don't think I've made anything out of there yet (no wait.... I have used her crumble recipe, but using different fruit. Excellent, as usual), but I think it grows on you. It has a similar problem to the original- expensive ingredients!

Alias Fanatic

Alias Fanatic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 10:18 PM

As far as real recipes and real cooking, it's one of the better FN shows on over there.
When Ina is in the kitchen cooking by herself she's at ease talking to the camera (viewers). When there is interaction with the "friends/guests". Not so much.
On Michael Chiarello's and Giada's show, when they have their "friends" over to attend a party or cook along, at least their producers make what we all know isn't for real, seem sort of believable.
Still, I look forward to all new shows, because I love her recipes and watching her prepare them in that great kitchen.

msfurious, I could not agree more with everything you said. It's not an Ina problem. I believe she probably is a great hostess--off camera. I think it's a production problem. While I think it would seem incomplete to only show her cooking and not see the finished product (at the contrived final event--beach bbq, housewarming party, etc), that final act of serving the meal often seems like the producers think that the mere act of taping it makes it worthwhile. I think the guests, diners, friends--whatever they are that week--need a good producer. At the same time, maybe it's insufficient to have Ina attend that final meal and reintroduce the dishes that she just showed us how to make. A little more creativity on the writing/production end would go a long way in making the wonderfulness of Ina doing the cooking extend to the hostessing part too.

nh lass

nh lass

Posted Jul 16, 2005 @ 9:05 PM

Her Dinner and a Movie show today was just delightful - she's quiet, calm, recipes were great (oh, that five cheese pasta looks to die for). She's a relief from the madness that is the Food Network....

Wouldn't that make for a really dryed out dish? The FN recipe says to bake for 7-10 mins., so I don't understand why she did a pre-bake

I thought the same thing, the pasta wasn't cooked that well, only ten minutes at high heat doesn't seem enough to cook it thoroughly. If it's only ten minutes, they could knock back a few drinks while it's cooking, so the prebaking I don't get either, it'll take ten minutes to heat it up anyway. Still, doesn't it sound delish....

Edited by nh lass, Jul 17, 2005 @ 8:01 AM.

msfurious1

msfurious1

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2005 @ 10:27 PM

Her Dinner and a Movie show today was just delightful - she's quiet, calm, recipes were great (oh, that five cheese pasta looks to die for).

Is that the show where they get tanked up on cocktails and nuts, then head out to the movies? :)
I didn't get why she baked the penne with 5 cheeses and then reheated it again "that night" to serve it.
Wouldn't that make for a really dryed out dish? The FN recipe says to bake for 7-10 mins., so I don't understand why she did a pre-bake.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2005 @ 1:23 PM

Wouldn't that make for a really dryed out dish? The FN recipe says to bake for 7-10 mins., so I don't understand why she did a pre-bake.

No. Most baked penne dishes bake for much longer than that.

Edited by biakbiak, Jul 17, 2005 @ 1:28 PM.

jenny_doodle

jenny_doodle

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2005 @ 4:11 PM

I've only seen two or three episodes so I don't know if I am about to make a premature observation but Ina, although a delightful cook, uses an incredible amount of butter, cream, and (general) fats in her recipes. Its very heavy food. I wonder if she cooks like this on a daily basis because I don't know if I could handle nightly Ina meals.

Scheckie

Scheckie

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2005 @ 4:45 PM

Well, the reason that you are noticing heavily larded (NPI) recipes is because....that's what Ina does. This is not Calorie Commando, here....

I must agree: I do not think I could subsist on Ina's heavily salted, buttered, oiled, sweetened, and calorically laiden entrees and snacks. I often joke with my friend that if I were ever to be hosted by Ina for a week, I would have to lose about ten pounds to compensate for the gourmet meals I would be served--and it's not only WHAT she prepares, it's also PORTIONS--clearly out of wack (have you ever seen the lemon shrimp linguine episode where Michael the florist comes over for a--a-hem--"light lunch?" The pasta bowls might as well have been moon craters)

Also, there is a more serious element to Ina's "heavy" cooking. Have you checked out the 2005 episodes? Physically Ina is ballooning--this is not a cut, I luvz the woman--I just fear that Ina's cooking style is self-destructive. Can you blame her? Her cooking is devine--who wouldn't sample, sample, sample? It's her job to prepare, taste, and serve food all the time. However, I just contrast her now severely bloated (she's bursting out of her shirts, for the luv of god) appearance is cause for concern.

Whenever I see a 2002 or 2003 "Contessa" episode, Ina is a big (but not bulbous) and healthy woman. But this latest batch of episodes might very well be a result of the previous poster's fear: to subsist on Ina's calorie-rich fare is dangerous to one who is predisposed to overweightedness (a word?) to begin with.

Anybody else???

lgrant2001

lgrant2001

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2005 @ 6:39 PM

Ina, although a delightful cook, uses an incredible amount of butter, cream, and (general) fats in her recipes.

Yes, this is the woman whose "secret" to delicious hamburgers is to hide a pat of butter in each patty.

cari407

cari407

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2005 @ 6:42 PM

It's true. Ina's meals really are treats for the average person, not daily fare. They are excellent treats though.

Yes, this is the woman whose "secret" to delicious hamburgers is to hide a pat of butter in each patty.

I had forgotten about that. I nearly passed out when I saw that!

nh lass

nh lass

Posted Jul 18, 2005 @ 7:37 PM

Also, there is a more serious element to Ina's "heavy" cooking. Have you checked out the 2005 episodes? Physically Ina is ballooning--this is not a cut, I luvz the woman--I just fear that Ina's cooking style is self-destructive. Can you blame her? Her cooking is devine--who wouldn't sample, sample, sample? It's her job to prepare, taste, and serve food all the time. However, I just contrast her now severely bloated (she's bursting out of her shirts, for the luv of god) appearance is cause for concern.

Actually, I think that's a bit unfair to assume that she eats the way she cooks all the time and that's responsible for her weight gain. Weight gain issues are just as likely to be lack of exercise, and/or emotional issues, stress, and need we mention she's approaching a certain age where the metabolism slows down and you can't lose weight if you strap dynamite to your hips. I would imagine her life is extremely busy and stressful, leaving little or no time for exercise and fitness, but minus the lovely Geoffrey for most of the week, maybe the comfort food is a little too close at hand. Who knows, but I also am distressed to see such a lovely woman ballooning like that. JMO...

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2005 @ 11:57 PM

I think she is lovely. I don't attach much to body image, plus never trust a skinny cook.

Plumbago Blue

Plumbago Blue

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 7:37 AM

I agree she does seem plumper. Hardly recognizable compared to her pix on early books, which have always looked suspiciously doctored anyway, since her facial structure seems so different. I don't mind, tho. I just look at her as someone w/the perfect life; someone who worked hard, made her name and money and is now just enjoying herself. #'s be damned. I don't see her life as being too awfully stressful, either. She obviously keeps her tapings and appearances to a minimum; we don't see her pimping all Ina all the time as we do w/RR or Emeril, no restaurants or other business anymore, though she may still write for Martha?, has the Paris apt., Jeffery's retiring, life is good!! I even wonder if she'll continue w/the show. Seems a little played out and Barefoot in Paris was a bore. I love her and want her to be happy! I saw the lunch w/the florist and was struck by her happy, normal chatter w/him, gossiping about the other Hamptonites, so different when the "guests" are over, w/the stilted fake conversation. (Of course, again, she does fit more w/the "hired help", so chummy w/the gardeners and florists and shopkeepers, and so odd w/the neighbors. Which makes her so likeable and believable.) Perhaps the guests are cold and weird because the food is so full of carbs and fat and they can't let such things enter their precious svelte bodies?

cari407

cari407

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 3:41 PM

though she may still write for Martha?,

No, that was only a 1 year deal. Around the time her second book came out, I think, was when she did that. Then she did Oprah's magazine for a year. I believe she only has one more book to complete her contract with Clarkson-Potter. It's rumored to be called Barefoot Basics.