60 Minutes

• Please log in to reply

916 replies to this topic

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I doubt highly that 60 Minutes is a live broadcast - the Sunday night episode was pieced together more than a week ago, upon completion of the stories and long before Mike's passing was announced. It is better that they do it when they can do it right.

RIP, Mike.

VictoriousNY

VictoriousNY

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I enjoyed the Mike Wallace tribute very much, very insightful, not superficial just straight to the point much like Mike Wallace, he was truly apart of the dying breed of insightful journalists. This episode of 60 showed me the difference between journalist of yesterday vs today, not playing softball or just looking for the big gotcha moment but looking for the whole story, that's what matters.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

I missed the first half hour! Did they speak with Chris Wallace?

I really liked the piece and noticed that Morley's piece was the same that was available for me to view right after I'd read that Mike Wallace had passed.

Leslie Stahl had mentioned that the interview with Barbara Streisand was one of his most controversial, but I didn't hear anything that would make me think that. Or rather one point in that interview was controversial. Was it Wallace telling Streisand he didn't like her way back when they first met? What's so controversial about that?

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I missed the first half hour! Did they speak with Chris Wallace?

No, no mention of him at all, that I heard.

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

This is probably going to make me sound heartless - but I thought the juxtapostion between Wallace's sadness at the death of his son vs him saying he liked his work more than his family was a bit macabre. It's a good thing they didn't show those two snippets back to back.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

I think I am sick. Watching the CIA guy justify the torture. I am sick.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Did anyone see the Lara Logan segment about the man wrongly convicted of murdering his wife after a prosecutor apparently withheld critical evidence, including his son's eyewitness testimony describing the murderer? The son cut the father off during his prison term and was later adopted by his aunt and uncle. If they mentioned whether or not the son and father reunited after the father was vindicated, I missed it. Anyone know?

What a terribly sad story.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

I just watched that myself and you're right, it is a terribly sad story. The prosecutor/judge's lawyer also made me angry as he sat there and sanctimoniously claimed that prosecution malpractice couldn't happen. So many many innocent people locked up, and even executed, and there's no justice for them.

Yes, you did miss the bit about father and son being reunited. It was very quick but there was a picture of the two of them together. They didn't say how well the reunion was going but they both were smiling in the picture so hopefully it's going well.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

One thing that Arnold Schwarzenegger impressed on me is that he is a TOTAL ASSHOLE & doesn't regret all the hurt he's caused one bit.

hreesa

hreesa

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

It seems like Maria made all the sacrifices, and he paid her back by cheating on her throughout the marriage.
But that wasn't enough. He had to cheat with someone Maria new in his own home. His top priority is himself not his family. If it was his family, he would not have his wife quit her job to support him in a career where what he did would likely be exposed not to mention his other affairs. And now he is writing about it in a book where his family gets to live through it again. Family does not come first. Arnold comes first. When he says he does not like to reflect on the past, it really means he does not have much of a conscience.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

What an arrogant bastard! Arnold writes this book, talks about his kids crying, his affairs, etc. Why the Kennedy women put up with infidelity amazes me. Even Eunice Shriver told Maria that she HAS to help Arnold become governor because he would be so disappointed if she didn't. What the hell! She gave him children, left her career, put up with his affairs with costars on set, the housekeeper. I am so glad Maria is finally away from him. What does he do then. He writes a book. Why! Because he needs the money to pay off the mistresses or just because he gets off on hurting his family because "that's the way I am."

vmc88

vmc88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

I fail to believe that Maria S. could have been oblivious to Arnold's asshole ways even before the marriage. I'm not even necessarily talking about the cheating. This little tour is so he can get the cheating story out of the way so he can move on to his next career.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

I wouldn't say Maria gave him children. Didn't she want them too?

Arnold disgusts me and this book is for both money and fame. I mean, he's on 60 Minutes.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I so agree about Arnold being an asshole. He was more concerned about the publics reaction and all the garbage going public then he was about how Maria and the kids would feel? I always wondered what she saw in him.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Nice of Maria to vouch for him and foist him off on the citizens of California (not).

Sounds like the rekindling of his outstanding film career (cough, cough) consists primarily warmed-over sequels to make a few $.

Time for him to get off our screens, IMHO.

Edited by gazerguy, Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:48 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Women should boycott his movies. Then again, these type of action films are suited to a male audience. He certainly didn't do himself any favours on his 60 minutes appearance. You think he would have been better prepared, knowing the type of questions that would be coming his way and have a better answer lined up. Nope, he showed his true colours. I feel really bad for his kids. Pretty sure this is going to be a nasty divorce.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

When Leslie Stahl asked Arnold if the reason he didn't tell Maria about Mildred's son in the past was that he was afraid Maria would walk out of the marriage, and Arnold (pondered the question and then) responded with something like, "That wasn't the issue. It was more that I didn't think I could keep it quiet," I wondered if he meant he wasn't worried Maria would walk, because he was confident she would stay; or if he only meant that he wouldn't have minded her leaving him, he would only have minded the publicity ruining his career.

(Some of his answers seemed somewhat rehearsed, like he'd given them before or been prepared for the questions, but some seemed spontaneously thought-over then and there, and that was one. I wonder if it'll come back to bite him.
He was smiling a lot too. It could have been a sheepish smile -- though it didn't really look like it -- but as a politician and actor, you'd think he'd control his expressions better.)

I think I remember people touting Maria as someone who didn't just "stand by her man" in the face of him having an affair (unless I'm just thinking of people saying that about Governor Sanford's wife -- who eventually, based on her interview, seems out to have accepted infidelity from day one). It seems Maria put up with her suspicion of Arnold's affair with the maid for quite a while, and she put up with more than one affair in the past.

Now that we know Maria had had suspicions about Mildred and asked about them in the past, it makes me think that it may have been somewhat awkward for Arnold to have Mildred in the same house knowing what he knew, but how very awkward and uncomfortable it must have been for Maria, once she suspected it, to still have Mildred around.

The show had me wondering, not for the first time, what Maria saw in Arnold to make her (a Democrat from a big-time Democrat political family) campaign for a Republican, and put up with infidelity at home too. She's so pretty, was even more beautiful when younger, and had a lot going for her as far as we can see. I do not get the appeal of Arnold.

(Cgr, it looks like we had similar reactions.)

I didn't even know Arnold had made new movies until it came up on 60 Minutes, so in that sense, it did create publicity, but perhaps people liable to see his movies already knew about them.

Edited by commenter, Oct 1, 2012 @ 7:41 PM.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

#854 I so agree about Arnold being an asshole. He was more concerned about the publics reaction and all the garbage going public then he was about how Maria and the kids would feel?

Not only that, but didn't he also offer up the anecdote about how he had heart valve surgery and didn't bother to tell her?! Who does that?! The guy is a total and complete asshole.

Tom Arnold was on Howard Stern awhile ago and told a story about how he was invited over to Arnold's house for his birthday party long before the secret son scandal broke. The maid's son was there and Tom Arnold cracked to Schwarzenegger, "Man, is that your kid? He looks just like you!" And Schwarzenegger just shot him the evil eye and basically told him to shut up. And if Tom Arnold had suspicions, I can't imagine that Maria did not.

AnnieDoodle

AnnieDoodle

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Arnold is not that good of an actor. His answers sucked and so does he. Total asshole.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

Just thinking about politicians who have been caught cheating and the eventual outcome. Clinton did well. He is about the only one I can think of. Most resign or retire and sort of disappear. Arnold needs to do the same. It's funny how this all came out. We have a big scandal going in our community where the wife outed the husbands affair to about 400 of her closest friends via email. I guess it doesn't matter if you are a big wig or not it still stings.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Don't see how Maria couldn't have known for years. (Your hispanic housekeeper, married to another hispanic at the time, brings around a child who appears german? Plus, the Tom Arnold comment -) Obviously, none of this was Maria's fault but she first supported him on the groping allegations and then delayed outing this until the probable end of his political career.

Please, Arnold, disappear - and quickly.

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Don't see how Maria couldn't have known for years. (Your hispanic housekeeper, married to another hispanic at the time, brings around a child who appears german? Plus, the Tom Arnold comment -)

The child is browner than Maria and Arnold, though not as tan as the mom. I mean, he looks like he could be Mexican to me.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Wasn't referring to (or even thinking about) his skin color. Several articles mentioned he was apparently tow-headed or blonde, like many boys, as a child. Apparently Mildred avoided bringing him around the Shriver/Schwarz home.

vmc88

vmc88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Mariah & Arnold's kids look nothing like Arnold. Arnold' kid with the housekeeper...has Arnold's face.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Kennedy genes are the strongest of any family's I've ever seen. I don't think any Kennedy spouse has any offspring that resemble them.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 5:35 AM

Kennedy genes are the strongest of any family's I've ever seen. I don't think any Kennedy spouse has any offspring that resemble them.

So true. There is no denying the maid's kid is Arnold's however.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

How about a DNA test to be positive. Then again, that would be kept a secret in Arnold's vault.

Pepperbird

Pepperbird

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 8:21 PM

I tuned in to see what 60 Minutes would say about the nationwide newspaper crisis for a program called "The Paper". Was disapppinted to see Morley Safer--looking about 100 years old--focusing on the New Orleans paper only. Although the show did illustrate some arguments for radical options being taken with that paper, and opposition thereto, a much better story would have compared a couple of geographically and culturally diverse newspapapers facing the same issues.

For example, a little research would have shown that the Austin, Texas and Mobile, Alabama papers are facing cutback problems too. While the program made a point of stressing that at least a third of New Orleans has no Internet access, not to mention ownership of personal computers, Austin is an extremely "wired" city--one of the most sophisticated in the nation, very savvy in Internet, online, networking, programming, and computer media activity. Why is the newspaper crisis so evident in both cities simutaneously? Do these examples have the same underlying issues, or differences?

Another untouched but related topic was literacy...does New Orleans have a dwindling and unmet need for literate citizens, or for opportunities to feed and support their literacy before it fades away over the next generation? Doesn't deliberate lack of support for a paper rob the citizens there of opportunities to read, analyze, and understand our democratic way of life? Does the deliberate demise of the paper contribute in the long run to the oppression of minorities?

Appears that Lazy Morley and 60 Minutes certainly weren't interested in anything more than a chance to sample the jazz, beignets, and cafe au lait. Let New Orleans eat cake....

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

Appears that Lazy Morley and 60 Minutes certainly weren't interested in anything more than a chance to sample the jazz, beignets, and cafe au lait. Let New Orleans eat cake....

I don't think that's fair ... The New Orleans paper won PULITZERS and is the LARGEST US city without a daily AND it had a lot of people willing to talk on the record including the mayor, archbishop etc. What 60 Minutes does best is talk about an issue from a single viewpoint.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

For example, a little research would have shown that the Austin, Texas and Mobile, Alabama papers are facing cutback problems too. While the program made a point of stressing that at least a third of New Orleans has no Internet access, not to mention ownership of personal computers, Austin is an extremely "wired" city--one of the most sophisticated in the nation, very savvy in Internet, online, networking, programming, and computer media activity. Why is the newspaper crisis so evident in both cities simutaneously? Do these examples have the same underlying issues, or differences?

The point they were stressing was that in New Orleans, since a third of the population had no Internet access, they would no longer be able to find out the news if the paper didn't come out every day. They were making a comment about the digital divide, between people who have Internet access and people who don't and too many times the people who don't have access are the most vulnerable.