• Please log in to reply

917 replies to this topic

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:46 AM

Careful, is your nose falling off?

Too funny.

Maybe Ed could have asked him if Michael ever sleeps with Tinkerbell and Wendy.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:55 PM

Oh, criminy. Just what was so fucking horrible about his childhood, anyway? That his parents made him and his brothers (who turned out pretty normal, BTW) work as entertainers? That he didn't have enough time to play? That his parents weren't as loving as he would have liked? I know he claims that his father hit/abused him, but I'm sure he's exaggering that, too.

Oh, and just because a holding cell has a toilet in it doesn't mean it's a bathroom. Freak.

moppet

moppet

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:44 PM

I'll grant him that *one* thing: it does seem like he had a difficult childhood. Joe Jackson does not look like a guy who spared the rod, if you know what I'm saying. And I'm not so sure the rest of his brothers have turned out so great -- it's just that when you're not really rich, you can't really be extravagantly eccentric. Jermaine looks like he's had a little work done, you know? And LaToya isn't what I'd call normal.

With that said, that doesn't excuse anything that he has allegedly done.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 7:42 PM

Yeah I think Michael's least screwed up relatives are like normal people's most screwed up relatives, its a whole different scale. He did have a fucked up childhood which turned him into a fucked up adult, but so did tons of other people. His just happened to be in front of the whole world and done really really awkwardly. He's still full of doodoo.

mickif

mickif

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:46 PM

I just think insanity runs in the family. Genetically speaking, I mean.

I just found out that Micheal used to stab Bubbles in the chest with pens and hit him. Cheryl Crow was on the Ellen show and talked about the abuse. I'm just bringing it up because it's a good example of how his innocent act snowed me. I'm not even a fan. But when I heard the rumors initially I thought, "Micheal? Abusing an animal intentionally? No way!"

Malle Babbe

Malle Babbe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:49 AM

He's still full of doodoo.

Feces, katymo. He's still full of feces.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:06 PM

Here is an interesting story about the interview:

"60 Minutes" Surprised By Jackson Uproar

Brn2bwild

Brn2bwild

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:21 PM

Poor honorable Paul O'Neill. He thinks he won't get attacked for telling the truth? Doesn't he realize that no politician, especially in this White House, can stomach that word?

midnightmezzo

midnightmezzo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 12:15 AM

(Hi,I'm a new poster in this forum...)

I have a question about last night's (Jan 25) episode. You know the "title page" they have for each segment during the reporter's intro? With the title and the name of the producer(s) and a graphic.

Last night they had a segment about the QE2's last crossing -- good piece, a nostalgic look at an elegant, luxurious ship. However...the title page read, "_Fairwell_ to the Queen".

As far as I know, there was in the segment no pun requiring that misspelling of "farewell". So I think they just made a big, graphically-lovely, shame-on-them typo. Or not even a typo, but an inadvertent admission that they have a staff full of graphics editors who don't *read* enough to recognize a misspelled common word when they see one.

Or maybe it's some obscure British spelling (although Google and Dictionary.com have never heard of this variant), or I'm missing something, or whatever. I hope so, because otherwise, shame on them indeed!

So, anybody else notice this? (btw, it's spelled correctly tonight at the CBS/60 Minutes website :-) )

Ernos

Ernos

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

However...the title page read, "_Fairwell_ to the Queen".

Oh. God. Are you serious? I wasn't watching, so didn't see this for myself....Ugh. How embarrassing.

I'm not British, but I've been a fan of British literature for most of my life (I'm over 30 now, so, you know), and have never, ever seen such a "variant" spelling. Just....ugh. The only variant of that phrase I've ever seen, I think, is "fare thee well," which isn't "fair well" or "fair thee well." Ew.

midnightmezzo

midnightmezzo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 1:59 AM

Yes, I am serious! I wish I had it on tape to prove it, but who could guess that they would make a gaffe like that. I've heard nothing from my email to CBS, of course (and they say that they probably won't answer emails, so no surprise). I'm appalled enough that I might even call them up and try to get an actual human on the phone. Who probably would have no idea that there was anything wrong with the word, nor why anyone would care.

I wonder if, should they ever rerun the segment, they will CGI the graphic to correct it. Wouldn't be difficult at all. But would any of them bother? I'm almost getting used to (while still loathing) the constant typos on local news and even CNN et al., especially on those annoying and obnoxious ticker-tape crawls. I suppose there is some intern sitting in a dark room typing that stuff for hours on end, under time pressure of course. Especially in a situation like that, I can certainly excuse an occasional typo.

But what really gets me are the spellings that make it clear that the person has never *seen* the word or phrase in question, only (mis)heard it. A favorite example of mine is from the earlier days of the Internet, before the web even, on good old Usenet: "For all intensive purposes". The perpetrator of that malapropism clearly had no idea what the words actually were. That was the first time I saw a mistake like that -- back in 1991 or so -- and "Fairwell" (ugh!!!) is only the most recent in a constantly growing list of examples of truly sad English.

I did actually find "Fairwell" via Google, but only as a proper name. And Google also asked me if I meant "farewell"! Too bad the 60 Minutes people don't use a spellchecker for their graphics text. Or a human who has a clue. "Fare thee well" is certainly a perfectly acceptable (and rather lovely) usage. I guess that whoever made this goof would be quite unaware of the meaning of the word "fare", let alone its relation to the German "fahren", meaning "to drive" or "to go". Nor did they ever have to sing Polly Wolly Doodle ("Fare thee well my fairy fay") in grade school!

And this rampant bad English is spreading to radio. Tonight I heard someone use the word "empathically" when from the context they clearly meant "emphatically". Hmm, that was probably the fault of the person who wrote the copy and made the typo. And then the person who read it didn't catch it in time. The really sad part of this story, though, is that this was on the local PBS station!!

Considering all the things wrong with the world today, I probably shouldn't obsess about this sort of thing. But I can't help it. Even if it's a losing battle.

WSLer

WSLer

Posted May 23, 2004 @ 7:56 PM

I will admit that I haven't agreed with some the editorial commentaries that Andy Rooney has made in the past few years, but tonight I wanted to give him a fierce bear hug.

His righteous anger was apparent, as was his outrage, but also his disappointment and sadness.

His topic was the prisoner abuse scandal in Iraq.

A few points he made which rang especially true.

This is something (the prison abuse scandal) that will forever be a major pat of the history of the United States, as it will be written about in 100 different languages for yewars to come.

It has done irrevocable damage to America's image around the world, but especially in the Middle East.

Those were some of the things that Rooney was outraged about.

But towards the end of his piece, his tone saddened, as he talked about how now, for the first time, he got the feeling that this could be the very beginning of the end for the American civilization, and he didn't want that to happen for his grandchildren and great grandchildren.

The saddest part is that I too fear that this may be the beginning of the end.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 1:52 AM

It has done irrevocable damage to America's image around the world, but especially in the Middle East.

Those were some of the things that Rooney was outraged about

Rooney's a broken down, fleabitten old jackass, just a few hideous brays away from the glue factory. He's part of the 'blame America first crowd' and has been out to get our nation's President from the get-go. While every serious journalist in the nation was cheering Bush on-- Russert, Rather, Britt Hume--Saddam Hussein french kisser Rooney opposed the US invasion of Iraq! So now we're supposed to listen to that old loudmouth and get all upset about a few guys "blowing off a little steam." Phooey!

WSLer

WSLer

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 5:29 PM

Chambliss,

That old loudmouth as you so charitably called him, proudly served his country and saw combat in WW II. That's more then I can say for Russert or Britt Hume.

As for cheering Bush on, the only one of those you mentioned that has been doing that is Brit Hume, but he has a long history of that, going all the way back to when he was sucking on George H. W. Bush's cock in the early 1990's.

I go into destroying your post which is nothing but utter lies and bullshit, word by word, but I have much better ways to waste my time.

To use an old poolhall expression, "You talk like a man with a paper asshole."

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2004 @ 3:14 AM

As for cheering Bush on, the only one of those you mentioned that has been doing that is Brit Hume, but he has a long history of that, going all the way back to when he was sucking on George H. W. Bush's cock in the early 1990's

No newsprogram on televison has been more effective selling the Iraqi war than Meet the Press. Neoconsevatives from Dick Cheney to Paul Wolfowitz, as well as Rumsfeld, appeared dozens of times to push the Iraqi catastrophe on an ignorant public as an obsequious Tim Russert failed time after time, to challenge their groundless assumptions and deceptive assertions. Since the magnitude of the disaster has become apparent, Russert, witness the recent Powell incident, has begun to re-position himself as an administration sceptic. Fortunately, there are hundreds of hours of MTP transcripts which reveal Russert's complicity with the warmongers.
Rather's enthusiasm for Bush's war is even more evident than Russerts, since he openly declared it on every talk show in America. Rumsfeld and Rather are also friends, owning a ranch together in New Mexico.

chumpthreads

chumpthreads

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2004 @ 9:46 AM

Just a bump to remind everyone that the Bill Clinton interview is on tonight. No reminder needed if you've watched CBS in the past two months, they've been hawking this special like no other. 7 PM, CBS. Be there!

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2004 @ 11:53 AM

I just have to say, "I'm Mike Wallace bitch!"

http://www.cnn.com/2...wallace.arrest/

gossipgirl

gossipgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 9:49 AM

I have a new found respect for Mike wallace because he showed that he is flawed human being just like every one else, oh and he kicks ass.

"I'm Mike Wallace bitch!"

good one Navin

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2004 @ 3:13 PM

This is so superficial I almost can't believe I'm commenting on it, but... what's up with Lesley Stahl's hair? Every time I see her she looks like she just rolled outta bed, and she's way too old for that "tousled" look to be attractive on her. Isn't there a salon anywhere between her apartment and the studio?

Heck, Andy Rooney's eyebrows are better-groomed.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2004 @ 3:41 PM

This is so superficial I almost can't believe I'm commenting on it, but... what's up with Lesley Stahl's hair?

Guess I'm not alone in wondering about her hair anymore! I'm convinced after years of fixating on it, it's a wig.

Frank James

Frank James

Posted Sep 20, 2004 @ 5:50 PM

D'OH!!! You're killing me, Dan Rather, you're killing me! This is the second time during a Presidential election that Rather has made a monumental screwup that made a Bush look good. In 1988, you may recall, he walked out on George Sr., leaving CBS to fill about 6 minutes of dead air. Now, with George Jr. gunning for re-election, we have the memo mix-up from Hell. Dan, I love you, but I can't take much more of this. Please don't screw up again; for my sake.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 7:13 PM

Please don't screw up again; for my sake.

I think Dan Rather's cool as hell too, but I'm afraid it's already too late.

Personally, as I link the latest on this, I'm still left to think about how Dan shouldn't anywhere while others stick around, considering it was a major screw up on 60 Minutes, and not the CBS Evening News.

Frank James

Frank James

Posted Sep 25, 2004 @ 11:45 AM

Quite so. All the muckety-mucks of CBS News (not just Dan) should take the heat for this, starting with whoever told Dan that the memos were for real.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 11:17 PM

Did anyone see the interview with Bill O'Reilly? I missed it.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2004 @ 6:17 AM

Did anyone see the interview with Bill O'Reilly? I missed it.

I did, because I'm a glutton for punishment.

IMO, O'Reilly came off as blustery and egotistical as usual. The rest of this I'm going to paraphrase:

Mike Wallace asked him why O'Reilly kept pointing at him after O'Reilly's wife admonished him not to. O'Reilly basically said he couldn't help himself. BO'R told Wallace that viewers should blame him for BO'R being in the business -- because once BO'R started getting more interested in the news, Wallace, Howard Cosell, and Tom Snyder were the only ones he deemed worthy of his interest.

My favorite moment? When BO'R claimed because he lacked the connections of Maria Shriver who "got her start in the Los Angeles" market, he had to start at a station in Scranton, PA, among the "coal miners who were his people." After this commentary, Wallace VO'd that actually Maria Shriver got her start in Philadelphia as an assistant. (Nice try, O'LIEly.) And the coal miners are BO'R's people? Bwah ha ha!

Also, BO'R went out of his way to once again represent himself as an "Independent." He said he favored gun laws, favored the environment because he believed global warming was real, favored civil unions for all people, not just gay people, and said he thought gay adoption was fine -- if it were a last resort which would save kids from being put in the system. (That argument makes no sense to me, but whatever.) They also showed him being greeted like a rock star at the RNC, specifically by Trent Lott who beamed like a little girl getting a pony when BO'R walked into the room.

Wallace touched on Al Franken uncovering BO'R being registered as a Republican, not an Independent. BO'R once again called Franken names instead of refuting the information. He also went on to say he'd never win any journalism awards because, again I'm paraphrasing, the elite would never give him any. IMO, they'll never give him a journalism award because he's NOT a journalist, he's an interviewer, like Larry King. He also tried to say that Rush Limbaugh isn't a primary source of information -- I guess somehow implying that he (BO'R) was.

No house shots, no interview with the wife, just shots of BO'R walking along a pier, which I presume is on his property.

I wish this guy would learn some humility, it really is a trait to be admired.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Sep 27, 2004 @ 11:07 AM

Thanks!

Sara Sue

Sara Sue

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2004 @ 9:29 AM

No house shots, no interview with the wife, just shots of BO'R walking along a pier, which I presume is on his property.

I thought it was weird that they didn't show his wife or house. There was a shot of him with the president and there was a tall brunnette lady in the picture. Was that his wife?

Edited by Sara Sue, Sep 28, 2004 @ 9:29 AM.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2004 @ 8:38 PM

I must confess that I only tuned in to watch the piece on Ashlie Simpson lip synching. I did however catch the whole piece and found it quite interesting in how much work goes into making an episode and how Leslie Stahl compared it to a Cabinet meeting at the White House. Plus she said do do. Yes, I'm twelve.

GertrudePerkins

GertrudePerkins

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 31, 2004 @ 9:03 PM

Plus she said do do.

Yep. I can't believe I laughed and said "she said do do" when I heard that. I guess I'm not as mature as I thought.

I only watched this to see if Seth Meyers would be on it, and he was! Also, it's interesting to learn how they pitch ideas and see if they can get Lorne to laugh. I didn't know how much say the host had in choosing the sketches, and how many they had to choose from. It makes me wonder how bad the ones were that didn't make it. They had to really suck, although I guess time is a factor, too.

I was hoping to see more of Ashlee after she left the stage and perhaps her band's reaction when she put all the blame on them. Oh well. Good segment.

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2004 @ 10:04 PM

It makes me wonder how bad the ones were that didn't make it. They had to really suck, although I guess time is a factor, too.

Word. I can't believe that there are skits that are actually less funny than the ones that make it onto the air. Odd.

But I was disappointed that it wasn't about Ashley more. Although I guess that wouldn't be fair to Lorne considering the piece was supposed to be about him. I knew most of the SNL stuff because of a special I saw on Bravo or A&E a while ago but I had no idea that Dr. Evil was based on Lorne.