Apprentice in the Media

• Please log in to reply

8615 replies to this topic

FeverDog

FeverDog

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:39 PM

Last page of this week's Entertainment Weekly (Oscar race cover with Jennifer Connelly, Charlize Theron and Naomi Watts). "Stupid Questions" segment features The Donald. It's a fun interview (the reporter mostly makes jokes and Donald plays along well), seems like Donald is going to emit a light-hearted and laidback image for the show. He might even be funny.

edited for grammar

Edited by FeverDog, Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:39 PM.

Penarol1916

Penarol1916

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:48 PM

Slate has an article on the first episode. The only line I like is:

Sixteen contestants from all walks of life—but strikingly similar levels of attractiveness—descend on New York to participate in a reality show that is Survivor for Future Business Leaders of America.

elanarab

elanarab

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:05 PM

Someone said above that Trump is ugly, and dear God I heartily agree. I have all the respect in the world for the man regarding his success in business, but I saw him upclose at a charity event and he is hideous. He has the most awful comb-over I have ever seen, and his hair is so wispy and dry at the same time. His eyebrows could be braided, to boot! He was with some gorgeous woman many years his junior. I suppose having loads of money and possible access to professionals in the beauty industry does not preclude one from making terrible hair decisions!

michellemck99

michellemck99

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 5:16 PM

Seems as though the ratings were strong: NBC won for the night and a lot of that is credited to the Apprentice (here). Came in second behind CSI over on CBS, but the ratings were deemed "solid" in this article.

Also, did anyone catch David on Today this morning? Seems there's no link on the NBC site, and silly me forgot to Tivo it.

Edited by michellemck99, Jan 9, 2004 @ 5:18 PM.

skat510

skat510

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:52 AM

never mind

Edited by skat510, Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:55 AM.

FeverDog

FeverDog

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:18 PM

Penarol - From the Slate article, I also like the line:

Finally, a show that captures two of the least savory aspects of having a job: busting your ass for no apparent reason, and sucking up to a boss whose status you can never attain.

clp

clp

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:16 PM

Interview with Mark Burnett from CNN

There is a minor spoiler about what the challenge is for the next episode so if you like to be surprised, you might want to skip it.

ByrdGal

ByrdGal

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:07 AM

An eh article in the Philly Inquirer quoting some local execs about their take on the show.
Philadelphia Inquirer Article

pseudostudent

pseudostudent

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:15 AM

That Philly article is great. It's nice to get some input from some corporate types. But my favorite part was this:

At the ridiculous apartment, Trump's current girlfriend, Melania Knauss, greeted the eight young women, with, well, less than 100 percent enthusiasm. She looked as if she feared obsolescence.

Heh.

DariaG

DariaG

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 9:08 AM

In the second half of today's column for the Washington Post, Lisa DeMoraes discusses the show and predicts that Trump hires a woman, although that's speculation on her part and not a spoiler. There are a couple of bits that might be a teeny bit spoilerish, such as Trump's comments that the women were better than the men, and he wants to hire 5 next time (there's a next time already?), which implies that he wanted to hire 5 from this round. Is he prohibited from hiring more than one of the contestants? Or is it like American Idol, where there's one winner and multiple recording contracts? Do we know?

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 12:29 PM

The Donald unloads on CBS head-honcho Les Moonves here. No, Donald, tell us what you really think! And MB was onstage with him at the time.

RhondaGC

RhondaGC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 12:40 PM

Ouch! But, as the article points out, TD can get by with dumping on a TV exec since he's not really in TV for a living. That and the fact he could buy and sell Moonves, CBS and all the other networks together, I guess.

Edited by RhondaGC, Jan 15, 2004 @ 12:40 PM.

KnowledgeSeeker

KnowledgeSeeker

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 4:19 AM

According to the following Boston Herald article, the real winner in episode #2 of "The Apprentice" was Marquis Jet.

Read what their President had to say about the 2 ad campaigns created by the two competing groups for his firm. Also, learn how he was able to get millions of dollars of priceless promotion from The Donald by having the show built around his own company.

Read Article

KnowledgeSeeker

KnowledgeSeeker

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 4:56 AM

This interesting 1/16 article in The Christian Science Monitor provides reaction from some members of the business community to what they've seen transpire on "The Apprentice"...

Read Article
-----------------------------------------------------
And this other article, appearing the Canada's National Post, has 3 different business experts comment on the show too:

Read Article

goobaletta

goobaletta

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 5:58 AM

Interesting how the Canada Post story got the name of the first person fired completely wrong. Best article of the three was the CSM one.

ETA: The Celebrity Justice website has an article on the show. CLICK HERE Apparently if the contestants reveal anything about the show's outcome it will cost them $5,000,000.

Edited by goobaletta, Jan 16, 2004 @ 6:08 AM.

DariaG

DariaG

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 9:51 AM

Evidently USA Today is going to devote a full page each week to this show. In the business section ("Money") no less. In this week's critique, there's an article, a comment by Trump, and analyses from 12 experts. (You'll have to click on some of the boxes on the right of the link above to get to all this stuff.) My favorite comment was from one of the experts:

The next person fired should be whoever selected the men for this show. . . .  Apparently the guys plan to make up for poor business acumen by just being annoying.

archer1267

archer1267

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 10:50 AM

Article in today's Boston Globe about Marquis Jet, its CEO, and what he thought about the apprentices. For people who are wondering "why Boston?" it's probably because it's based here.

A real winner of "The Apprentice"

Hilary Dickulous

Hilary Dickulous

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 11:47 AM

I found this in today's Wall Street Journal and scanned it in. Yes, it is a gold mine for Marquis Jet.

Satchmo2

Satchmo2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 12:25 PM

According to today's NY Times Link Marquis Jet is actually using one of the commercials filmed by the teams. Doesn't specify which one, while implying it's the womens. At $666 per airing ($100k/150 airings) it's probably being shown on late nite TV and is likely only another way for Marquis to stay in the news!

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 12:43 PM

The Boston Globe article mentions that they are going to run the ad in Colorado, where many potential customers have winter home -- I imagine they will buy the local cable system's share of ad time on networks like CNBC and FNN and on financial shows on all-news networks. Those spots probably do sell pretty cheaply, but they reach a very desirable demographic for these ads.

A Big Potato

A Big Potato

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 4:39 PM

From The Christian Science Monitor article above

Linda Howell DiMario, CEO of the Arlington Convention & Visitors Bureau in Texas said:

But DiMario doesn't plan to miss a single episode. She wants to see how well the contestants can think on their feet. And she likes comparing Trump's decisions with her own instincts. "The gentleman who was trying to get these people to [pay] $1,000 [for a cup of lemonade] - they call him the maverick - he has some great characteristics," she says.

Sam has "great characteristics"................ am I watching the same show she is?

Kromm

Kromm

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 1:16 AM

Jason popped up on "Inside Edition", whining about how he really hadn't expected to go. They didn't really show much else.

RhondaGC

RhondaGC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 1:53 AM

From one of the aforementioned articles:

Not all viewers are fans. For some, taking business advice from "The Apprentice" is about as wise as taking hairstyle advice from Trump.

Hee!

Also, of the articles I read, two of them got the name of the first person fired wrong. Wasn't his name Dave? One called him Dan and the other Michael. Maybe one of them is another name he goes by, but it was a little weird that the writers wouldn't have referred to him by the name they used on the show. Or that they wouldn't do their research to get the name right. Whatever.

boilergal

boilergal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 8:52 AM

I just heard on the news this morning that Deutch has been approached to do a reality show of his own, after the big success in ratings on Thursday.

JoBu

JoBu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 10:48 AM

I just heard on the news this morning that Deutch has been approached to do a reality show of his own, after the big success in ratings on Thursday.

Please let it be sans nipples.

KnowledgeSeeker

KnowledgeSeeker

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

According to the following article "The Apprentice" is a "whopping" TV Ratings Winner: It had the highest TV ratings of any reality show since the finale of "American Idol" last May. More significantly, the 2nd episode BEAT C.S.I. (The #1 rated U.S. series) & (instead of the usual 20% decline from a series debut) actually had 2 milllion MORE viewers than its debut episode did. New York Post

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:40 AM

"Return of the Short Fingered Vulgarian" (Trump) - an article chock full of delicious snark.

My favorite line =

......Sam, an unparalleled ass-kisser who must floss with toilet paper....

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 9:47 AM

Great article, Skycatcher! Thanks for pointing it out. My favorite line is:

Watching Trump fly in his personal helicopter as his long, perverse hair rises like a beaver's tail

KnowledgeSeeker

KnowledgeSeeker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:36 PM

When it comes to ego, it's hard to trump the Donald
That's what the first half of this article in the Star-Telegram is about. Read Article

DariaG

DariaG

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 2:20 PM

The Washington Post TV Week has a possible spoiler about the next episode:
"an underdog assumes a leadership role and steers the group into the doghouse."
Of course, there could be more than one "underdog" between the two teams.