Everyday Italian in Little Big Head's Kitchen

• Please log in to reply

7711 replies to this topic

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

“I became a chef to be in the background,” De Laurentiis says. “To make people happy but sort of live in my own world.”

That seems inconsistent with being the star of a TV show for years on end.

I understand what you're saying, but in Giada's "Chefography" and I have read elsewhere she was not interested in being on TV. She had to be prodded into it. She was doing catering and a private chef for a family, consistent with behind the scenes. If you've seen her first season shows, she is clearly uncomfortable in front of the camera. I think this is something she's grown into.

Mario Batali in his "Chefography" showed some of his first shows on TV, and he, as he admitted, was really not good. It's a learning curve.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

If you've seen her first season shows, she is clearly uncomfortable in front of the camera. I think this is something she's grown into.

Absolutely! She had to develop a TV personality. Most of them do. My favorite example is the first season Emeril did for Foot Network. At one point he actually looked at the camera and said, "HEY. WAKE UP OUT THERE", which I will never forget, because he had been actively putting me to sleep up until he said that.

but realistically, how were toddlers supposed to eat them?

True, but toddlers care not for practical details. If you leave them with a big old cupcake and no instructions, they'll pretty much just stick their hands in it and go from there. Even with a nice neat piece of cake and a fork, it's a lost cause.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

I watched the birthday episode, and thought it was pretty enjoyable. The pasta dish looked delicious... May have to make an adult version that for me and Mr White.

But seriously, what is her obsession with the way creamy pasta sounds when mixed? I had watched an episode not too long ago where she was making chicken tetrazzini and she ogled was nearly ecstatic over the sound of the noodles and sauce. I know I watch too many crime dramas, but that noise always reminds me of removing organs during an autopsy.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

True. She does delight in that sound. She's even described it as "the pasta's talking to me." I guess if Aunt Sandy can "see flavors," Giada's pasta can have a voice. At least she doesn't talk back to it and call it "sweetness" or something like that.

I wonder how foley artists reproduce that sound? That would be a difficult one.

whitepepper, if you try the pasta, let us know. It just didn't sound appetizing to me, but who knows?

I now sort of wish I'd gone to see Giada when she was in town last week. Alas, I didn't have $45 burning a hole in my pocket, plus a bunch of us in the office passed around a lovely stomach bug, so listening to somebody talking about cooking and eating was the furthest thing from my mind (and stomach!)

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

I now sort of wish I'd gone to see Giada when she was in town last week. Alas, I didn't have $45 burning a hole in my pocket,

grisgris I feel the same way. My local Williams-Sonoma has cookbook authors come in for book signings. I passed up Bobby Flay, and was glad I did. From local reporting, people stood in line for up to 4 hours, and some did not get to meet him. After that disaster, they starting giving out tickets, for free, ahead of time, with a limit of 200. I most regret not going to Anne Burrell, but I did consider going to Giada's event. In the end, I decided, while I have her first cookbook and enjoy it, I was not that interested in another.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

nearly ecstatic over the sound of the noodles and sauce

I'm thinking sexual intercourse, and that's all I have to say about thaaaaat.

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

The best thing about Giada's show on Sat. is that it reminds me to change the channel to PBS to watch Lydia.....

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

"The best thing about Giada's show on Sat. is that it reminds me to change the channel to PBS to watch Lydia....."

I hear you! I'm still a little bitter about the comments that Giada made about Lidia, a while back.

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I play a mental drinking game while watching Giada. When she completes a task she always says "there we go". I tend to count how many times she does it. We aren't quite 2/3rds through today's show and she is up to 9 TWG's.

Who told her that showing so much of her teeth was as important as her showing cleavage?

Sorry, haven't seen her in a while and she got on my nerves really quickly today.

(11 twg's and the show isn't over)

tahitigirl

tahitigirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

I counted 23 on a show once.

I have to avoid her show these days. Between the over-pronunciation, cleavage, teeth, playing to the camera, and over-used phrases, she drives me batty. I do watch new episodes but avoid repeats like the plague.

lexilina

lexilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

grainofsalt, my best friend and I played an actual drinking game one night (yes we were bored and both addicted to FN) but we used 2 other phrases.
1. Everytime she says "just like that"
2. When she uses an ingredient, and then says "And I love..said ingredient"

I was very tipsy by the end of the show. If we added "there we go" I know I would have been face first on the floor by the 15 minute mark no doubt.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Those catch phrases are annoying as hell, ranking up there with "yummo!" "bro(growl)wn) food," "now who wouldn't like that," "thick, rich and delicious," etc." You could probably watch any FN show and take a shot whenever the host said something annoying repeatedly and be shit-faced in half an hour!!! LOL!

I made two of Giada's dishes today, the pasta with spinach and the pecorino/romano black pepper sauce (which I've made before and like) and I tried her hearty meatball stew. I modified the recipe because I was lazy and went out and bought already-made meatballs of Italian turkey sausage a few days ago for another purpose. As I'd made a tomato-based sauce the other night, I didn't want another one, so I just punched up the flavors for a chicken-broth based sauce and upon initial tasting, it seems like it's going to be pretty good. So, I guess I just borrowed the concept from Giada and made it my own. I'm going to let it rest overnight and have it for dinner tomorrow. I also bought some flaky biscuits to bake to top it with.

I didn't care for anything that she made yesterday. I didn't remember eeeing that particular episode. I don't like the way Giada pairs fruit and savory. That fritatta didn't look in the last bit appealing. The panninis looked OK, but I wouldn't go to the trouble to make fig jam. By the time I bought all of the ingredients, I could have bought a jar of the ready-made stuff. The salad looked OK. It just didn't look like a brunch meal that you'd serve to two adult men who were from "meat-and-potatoes" stock and had spend the morning in the surf. My DVR was merciful and cut off before they actually sat down to eat.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Another phrase that she uses a lot is 'golden brown' (or 'gold'n brown' as she says it). She gets all excited when the food finally gets gold'n brown.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

Did anybody else catch Saturday's episode? I caught up with it yesterday. First, I really like the floral top and turquoise cardigan Giada was wearing with jeans. It looked really good on her, perfect fit/color and no boobs constantly on display.

Otherwise, I thought the menu was just meh...and also on the skimpy side. Two light salads and a cocktail. Some cookies or some kind of a nice fruit pastry, like a crostada, would have been a great way to round out the meal and satisfy the sweet tooth. Or, she could have made something with Mexican chocolate, since Mexican food was the theme.

Instead of "Giada's Book Club," it was more like "Giada's Diet Club." At least she did not diss people on their portion sizes. She got around that one by plating the cerviche salad and she demonstrated how to fill the lettuce cups with the quinoa salad.

I thought it was hilarious during the eating/discussing the book segment. Giada made a feeble attempt to try to explain her dishes, but she quickly faded into the background when the guests started asking the author about the book. I thought the author was interesting (not that I am interested in reading a romance novel about a surfer-dude in Mexico) and I loved the guest who bore a striking resemblance to Eva Longoria! Those two stole the show. When the camera cut to Giada, she was looking on with sort of an irritated expression on her face. It was priceless. The author help everybody's rapt attention, not Giada.

It's shows like that where I think "why do I watch this woman so much?" then, I'll try one of her recipes and think, "THAT'S why."

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Instead of "Giada's Book Club," it was more like "Giada's Diet Club." At least she did not diss people on their portion sizes. She got around that one by plating the cerviche salad and she demonstrated how to fill the lettuce cups with the quinoa salad

While watching I was thinking, "She would be the perfect author for a Weight Watchers Cookbook." Which then led me to wondering if you could pull a Jared/Subway thing to lose weight by eating the Giada Way. I may have to look in to that, b/c I am on WW and am starting to get bored with the old routine.

The ceviche looked really good, but I LOVE ceviche and would totally need more than two tortilla chips. The homemade chips are a nice touch though... and the quinoa salad looked pretty tasty as well. What is her deal with the agave nectar? Can you sub honey or is there something specific about the agave nectar that "makes" the dish?

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

The author on Saturday's show was none other than Katie Lee Joel, Billy Joel's latest ex-wife. She gives me a royal pain. She is famous for being married to Billy Joel. I believe she has "written" some cookbooks or lifestyle books, in addition to the latest novel. I'm sure a ghost writer was involved for all books. LOL. She is also a big buddy of Paula Deen. Paula has said before that they have sleepovers and are best buddies. A little odd.

The story goes that Katie Lee met Billy Joel when she was on some kind of college field trip in NYC. She was in a bar/restaurant and claims she did not know he was Billy Joel or did not know who Billy Joel was at all (one of those) and the rest is history. Now she is uber wealthy and seems to run with the "in crowd". I got the vibe from Giada's show that they were not good friends and she was on just to plug her latest book.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

The author on Saturday's show was none other than Katie Lee Joel, Billy Joel's latest ex-wife.

I thought she looked familiar. She was also a host of Top Chef on Bravo for a season or two. I also want to say that one of the other guests was Greta Moynahan, the fashion consultant for the Rachael Ray Show.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

"Mother Shucker!" ™ Mo Rocca. Are you kidding me? I thought the author looked familiar, but I couldn't place her. Yes, I've seen KLJ on Paula's shows before. No wonder Giada was less-the-thrilled by her presence. I somehow don't picture Giada being a fan of romance novels, especially that drivel that KLJ was spouting about "surfer dudes." Aren't she and Billy Joel divorced? I thought the ceviche looked good, too.

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I kinda believe that Katie Lee didn't know who Billy Joel was because she was like 18/19 at the time that they met. I believe that the daughter he had with Christie Brinkley is maybe a year or two younger than Katie.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

Yes, Katie Lee and Billy Joel have been divorced for a couple of years or so, I believe. I clearly read too many gossipy articles, because as bj1968 said, Katie Lee was only 18 or so when she met Billy Joel. And I also am embarrassed to say that I read that Katie Lee did date a surfer/model guy right after the breakup of her marriage (or some believe the surfer guy was part of the breakup). So, the new novel is probably based on her real life romance/fantasies. I won't be reading that one!

The camera was really, really focused on that other woman at the end too. I had zero idea if she was anyone. Was she the Rachel Ray fashion consultant? Can't stand Rachel, so never watch any of her shows. Giada has said she only features her real life friends on the show, but it does make you wonder.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Giada acted like she didn't KNOW anybody present at the book club party. That's my major gripe about FN shows, that they ALWAYS have to feature some kind of fake event/theme with guests. The only time I enjoy Giada having guests on her show is when it's either her's or Todd's family. I like Todd's brother Trevor and I love Aunt Raffi and her husband. What's his name again, Uncle Buzz or something like that? Giada's little brother (Igor?) is quite hunky. I'd prefer seeing more of him and less of the anorexic yogis nibbling on scraps.

That woman at the end of the table sitting by Katie Lee, looked very much like Eva Longoria. I realize it wasn't actually her, but the resemblance was remarkable. She was clearly the prettiest woman at the table, so maybe the camera man was focusing on her on purpose. I'm sure Giada loved that! Now that you mention it, somebody remarked how KLJ's novel seemed autobiographical and she laughed and said, "life imitated art and art imitated life." Yuk, yuk, yuk, rim-shot.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Finally got around to watching the book club episode. Who knew that there's something worse than the Jaws Smile: the Giada Grimace (not once but twice).

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:37 AM

The story goes that Katie Lee met Billy Joel when she was on some kind of college field trip in NYC. She was in a bar/restaurant and claims she did not know he was Billy Joel or did not know who Billy Joel was at all (one of those) and the rest is history.

Yeah right, because every 18 is automatically attracted to short, fat, balding dudes old enough to be their father when met at a bar/restaurant on a student trip to NYC [/snerk] Ms Joel was the original host of season 1 Top Chef, and then they booted out her stiff ass for Padma.

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

If a man is stupid enough to believe that an 18 year old is in love with only him and his money/fame has nothing to do with it, so be it.

I give her credit for striking while the iron was hot and using the Joel connections to get recognition on her own. I have seen her on several shows doing cooking demos and while not overly impressed with what she made, she is out there plugging away. I don't sense any genuine warmth to her.

You'd think that Giada could be a gracious hostess and recede a bit into the background as the situation dictates.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

Giada has said she only features her real life friends on the show, but it does make you wonder.

Interesting she said that because I never get a particularly warm vibe observing the interaction between her and her "friends" on the show. I always thought it seemed like they just plucked random OC trophy wives off the street and dumped them on the set.

It's a good thing Giada circulates among the land of the starved. That's probably why her guests don't give her crap about her stingy portions and rude comments if anyone dares to spoon more than a thimbulfull of rice onto their plates. They don't eat anyways.

Edited by LaffyTaffy, May 11, 2012 @ 1:24 AM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

I've grown so tired and disgusted by the way Giada treats her guests (including her aunt) that I barely watch her anymore. She seems to be jealous of anyone else getting any attention at all. Not long ago, her aunt joined her to make a family recipe, and Giada wouldn't stop criticizing her aunt for the way she was making it. Finally, the aunt spoke up and said that this was the way the family had always made it. Giada spoke back and said,"That doesn't mean I can't change it!" I wondered why she had her aunt on to make a family recipe and then criticized her ingredients! A family recipe is a family recipe!!!

On another note, I'm wondering where Giada got the big increase in her bust. I know that having a baby will increase it somewhat, but not to that extent! Are my eyes deceiving me, or has anyone else noticed this? She used to be straight up and down, but she's now huge for her size!

Edited by Mlle Poilane, May 12, 2012 @ 1:48 AM.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I guess that I have to respectfully disagree. I always enjoy the banter between Giada and Aunt Raffi. It seems natural and not a lot of scripted BS, plus I like the fact that Aunt Raffi actually knows how to cook. (Usually, guests on FN shows are some bumbling doofus who doesn't even know how to crack an egg.) They always have an ongoing battle of wills about Giada wanting to alter a recipe and Raffi doesn't want for her to. I did see an episode where Giada WAS actually on the borderline of being rude and disrespectful and Raffi snapped at her and called her out on it. Ever since that episode, Giada has been much more restrained around her aunt.

I noticed today that when they made the risotto pie and spinach loaf that Giada stated that she did not change the recipe at all. A neighbor came to my door while I was watching the show so I was distracted, but it sounded like Giada and Raffi were having some type of disagreement over the additional of Parmesan cheese to something. (I'll have to watch my recording later.)

The premise behind Giada's Italian-themed shows has always been to demonstrate how she puts her own touch on a classic Italian dish, or creates new ways to cook with traditional Italian flavors. Granted, I think she overdoes it with lemons and fennel... However, I agree that a family recipe is exactly that and by changing out the ingredients to flaunt your skills as a professionally-trained chef, or just for the sake of being "right," "different," etc. deviates from what you are trying to achieve in the first place. This is the second time those two have done an homage to "Nonna" show.

Regarding Giada's figure, I've noticed the opposite. I watch old episodes of "Everyday Italian" on TCC and for starters, she looked at least a good 10-15 pounds heavier and her boobs were huge, especially for somebody with her petite frame. I thought that after she had Jade that she went on some extreme diet. It's obvious that she's lost a lot of weight and her bustline seems to look more in proportion to the rest of her body. She's also been dressing more modestly, so we don't see blinding cleavage. That dress she had on today had a plunging neckline and wasn't the best color for her. Again, I'll look more closely when I watch my recording later.

What I saw of the recipes today makes me want to go out and try them. The artichoke dish looked like too much trouble, but if I could find a way to reduce the quantity of the risotto pie and spinach loaf, I'd made them in a second!

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I love the Raffi shows. She's great. Plus the homage to momma luna (or whatever she's called) is always pretty sweet.

I'm laying odds that Giada's had breast reduction surgery. Her boobs are so much smaller than in earlier shows.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Giada has addressed her boobage publicly - she says she lost weight, and some of the boobs went with it. It happens to me when I lose weight. She really is quite thin these days.

foodie100

foodie100

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

I think Katie Lee (Joel) and Giada really are friends. Katie was on the Hamptons episode of Weekend Getaways (miss that show so much, btw! - I so hope she does more of them when jade is a little older and she can get away more often), and on several other episodes of GAH. They're always posing at red carpet events, etc.

I saw/met Giada at one of her California book signings, and damn, that head is HUGEnormous in person! My husband also commented that she was wearing a crap ton of makeup. She was very lovely and gave a lot of attention to the people who came to see her. Especially the children.