Everyday Italian in Little Big Head's Kitchen

• Please log in to reply

7711 replies to this topic

Wajo298

Wajo298

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 8:19 PM

I'll bet "Daffy" is a blast to hang out with.

I agree with you on that one Jeaux. I've said here before that Aunt Raffi looks like a trip to hang out with (Giada too; she just seems pretty down to earth and not pretentious) And though I am not a huge fan of pasta, I would probably eat anything Giada prepared for me, as I would Ina.

They just look like they're having so much fun cooking together. Same with her mom, even though she comes across as not as interested in the food prep as Giada and Raffi. I think she likes just helping out and the camaraderie, but lets Giada take center stage, as she should. Nothing wrong with that.

Urizen

Urizen

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2006 @ 4:19 PM

One day I was sitting at home watching this show.

My dad and great uncle come in the door while I am watching this show.

They were mesmerised by Giada, man! Could not get enough of her.

They are both fans of the history channel and John Wayne and here they were just loving Giada cooking herself some Italian food!

It was the cutest thing I have seen in years. Here were two old men speaking of how pretty Giada is and how they wish she would cook something up nice in their kitchen.

So, now, they watch this show and are always bugging me about when it will be on, because older men of their ilk do not record cooking shows.

I always think of that whenever I watch this show.

TVFF

TVFF

Posted Sep 2, 2006 @ 9:47 PM

I know that someone mentioned seeing Giada on the Today show a few posts back.

Looks like we can expect to see more of her on NBC in the mornings.

Are we starting to veer into the Rachael Ray Land of Overexposure with Giada? I really like her...please, FN, don't make me sick of her!

roseyrose

roseyrose

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2006 @ 8:16 AM

It was the cutest thing I have seen in years. Here were two old men speaking of how pretty Giada is and how they wish she would cook something up nice in their kitchen.
So, now, they watch this show and are always bugging me about when it will be on, because older men of their ilk do not record cooking shows.

Urizen, although I have some reservations about Giada's change in image, I love this story. It's just really cute. And she can't help it if she's beautiful and men love her.

angelingy

angelingy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2006 @ 8:45 PM

And she can't help it if she's beautiful and men love her.

roseyrose, ya got that right. My significant other will LOL at Paula, may tolerate Retchel, make dispariging remarks about Michael, go out to the porch if Ina is on (sacrilege) --- but, Giada? Eyes glued. My comments have been along the lines of: are you taking notes? are you making that for dinner soon? we've seen this before....*rolls eyes* He doesn't cook, but wishes he could cook with her I am certain.

Will Giada displace that lovely Italian family the Today show has on so frequently? They own a restaurant in NYC. They're pretty funny.

Italian2816

Italian2816

Posted Sep 7, 2006 @ 12:11 PM

I bought the stainless measuring cups that she uses on the show. They're awesome!

Susaphone

Susaphone

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2006 @ 1:36 PM

I introduced my younger brother to Giada when he was visiting a while back by just turning on the TV on a Saturday to Everyday Italian. No commentary, nothing. My brother: "who is she? she's a little hottie." When I talk to him on the phone now, he will occasionally mention something she has cooked.

Carife

Carife

Posted Sep 7, 2006 @ 4:59 PM

Sorry if this post sounds discombulated. I'm trying to remember everything I want to respond to and there is so much.
First, Giada's sister's name is Eloisa.
Secondly, she is definitely saying 'Zi Raffi' when she talks to her Aunt and not 'Daffy'. When you pronounce certain things in Italian, they don't come out sounding the same as they are spelled. And I myself have a Zi Raffi and have gotten weird looks when "Americans" here us speaking and usually a 'what did u just call her?"
Third, I had read an article in an Italian newspaper that said what a poster upthread had said. That the first 3 children were from Giada's dad and the 4th was from her Mom's new husband. But someone here had said that wasn't true and that all the children had the same father because they all had the same last name. Italians are different about last names. My paternal grandmother never changed her name to her married name ever during her whole life. My Dad and my Uncle had different last names b/c there was a falling out in the family and my Uncle took my Grandmother's last name. So the last name thing doesn't necessarily convince me that they're full or half siblings. Plus, Giada's mother's current husband is named Igor, the same as her brother. I would find that to be a very weird coincidence if he wasn't the guy's father. In any event. Igor is a hottie.
I just caught the Awards Ceremony episode today. I never really watched it before, just listened to it in the background. I was a little taken aback by the 'Sandra-Lee' vibe I got from Giada prepping the table. Dare I say tablescape?? Everyone who knows me knows I love Giada, but I don't know if I can take her resorting to tablescaping. Although it is an excuse for her to parade around the table in her lingere-esque clothes. And that's always a good thing cause I think she is so purty.

mkd

mkd

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 6:28 AM

the first 3 children were from Giada's dad and the 4th was from her Mom's new husband. But someone here had said that wasn't true and that all the children had the same father because they all had the same last name.

They all have the same last name -- DeLaurentiis -- because that's their mother's family name. Giada's father's name is Alex de Benedetti.

Italian2816

Italian2816

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 7:46 AM

That's funny about the switching and swapping of Italian last names. This isn't quite the same thing, but kind of goes along with it. My late grandfather's name was Anthony, but some situation happend (I have no idea what the story actually is) that his brother Carmine wanted his name. So my grandfather actually gave my uncle Carmine his name of Anthony and from then on took the name Antonio for himself. Apparently my grandmother was none too thrilled because she said Antonio was a "greaseball" name. But on his grave it says Antonio DePalma. Guess us Italians like to swap first names too. :)

And yes, Giada's brother Igor is gorgeous!! I never saw Dino though. Does anyone know what past episodes he appeared on, if any, before he passed away?

Mya

Mya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 8:52 AM

I never saw Dino though. Does anyone know what past episodes he appeared on, if any, before he passed away?

He was on one of Giada's first few episodes. I can't remember what she made but he was there at the end - having dinner with her and her friends. He was also very attractive.

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 9:33 AM

In her Chefography she said he shared her passion for food and she hoped he could cook with her on the show sometime--but he didn't survive to do it. :(

Carife

Carife

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 1:09 AM

I'm sorry I can't remember specific episodes with Dino, but I would say they were probably early episodes. And although he was still attractive, you can tell he had been sick. His appearances were made soon after chemo, so he had really short hair and his face was kind of puffy. Someone told me his picture is in her cookbooks too, but since I have them packed away during some minor kitchen repairs, I can't look at them at present.

surf

surf

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 3:30 PM

By all accounts, I shouldn't really like this show at all. Girlie girl all dolled up in the kitchen - a la June Cleaver - cooking food and grinning seductively for the camera. But I do like this show and I love the food she cooks. But...the TEETH. My god! Any idea just how many choppers she's got in there? I think we should start a poll on that.

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 3:36 PM

Well, let's face it. You need a lot of teeth to go with a head that size.

(I kid because I love.)

Ima Pilgrim

Ima Pilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:19 PM

But...the TEETH. My god! Any idea just how many choppers she's got in there? I think we should start a poll on that.

[b]You be the judge...

wickedgator

wickedgator

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 9:02 PM

Giada would be gorgeous if she had 100 teeth! At least she doesn't resemble The Joker when she smiles.

Wajo298

Wajo298

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 10:14 PM

Giada could smile at me all day long and I'd be perfectly content...

Re: Brother Dino. I think I only saw him on a couple of episodes early on. He's one of the guests at the end of an episode. I do believe as Carife said, that he had just completed chemo and was not looking particularly well, but think he wanted to do this for his sister. She's said she always regretted not having been able to cook with him on the show; she was really hoping he'd get well enough that he could do some shows with her. I believe he died shortly after the show started to air.

I've seen Igor and Eloisa on there several times though. Some good genes in that family, eh?

cafeaulait

cafeaulait

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 11:43 PM

Plus, Giada's mother's current husband is named Igor, the same as her brother. I would find that to be a very weird coincidence if he wasn't the guy's father.

Actually, Veronica's husband's name is Ivan Kavalsky.

That the first 3 children were from Giada's dad and the 4th was from her Mom's new husband. But someone here had said that wasn't true and that all the children had the same father because they all had the same last name.

And the kids are indeed all by Veronica's first husband, Alex De Benedetti. Veronica verifys this in Dino's 2004 biography. (I have a post around p. 110 or 111 toward the top of the page detailing some info on Veronica's first marriage that she discussed for the book. It's not pretty! The whole family has cut off all contact with Alex De Benedetti.)

Italian2816

Italian2816

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 8:40 AM

I made Giada's chicken parmesan last week (including her sauce) and my boyfriend almost fell out of his chair he loved it so much. That is some good freakin sauce.

Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 1:08 PM

I adore Giada. She is fresh, refreshing, attractive. Her family and guests are usually good looking too which doesn't hurt.
Her show is pleasing, comforting, and relaxing after a long day at the office.
I try to watch her as much as my busy schedule permits, followed by beloved Ina!

Edited by Arizonaguy, Sep 12, 2006 @ 1:13 PM.

Italian2816

Italian2816

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 1:24 PM

I agree Arizonaguy. For me there are 3: Giada, Ina, and Nigella. All of their shows make me want to draw all the shades and get in bed all cozy and just watch. Nothing better than a relaxing cooking show and host...unlike some other spastic arm-flailing freaks on the FN who shall remain nameless. Hmph.

Italian2816

Italian2816

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 7:25 AM

Today at 4:30 is the episode with the pork loin with port fig sauce. I have been waiting MONTHS for this episode to air. I picked this recipe out of her first book quite a while back as what I am going to make for dinner when my parents meet my boyfriend's parents for the first time, which is soon-yikes. But I have wanted to see the episode first before I ever tried it. I guess because some of the ingerdients are pretty expensive and I want to see what this all comes out looking like. Has anyone ever attempted this one? If so, how did it come out?

Tivvy

Tivvy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 7:57 AM

I've been meaning to post here for quite some time....several months ago, I attended the UCLA Book Festival with my parents and brother (he lives out there, and the rest of us were visiting)....Giada was one of the "speakers", to promote the Family Dinners book. I asked Mom if she wanted to go watch her, and off we went. Giada was incredibly charming. She asked for a helper with her demonstrations, and chose a young girl (I always like it when kids get picked over grown ups, because you know it's just HUGE to kids to be up on stage like that); she took questions from the audience that ranged from "How come I can't get pizza dough to rise?" to "What do I need to do to be a chef?"; she pointed out her best friend; gave props to UCLA, which is apparently where she went to school (and the high school across the street); in short, she was just a delight to watch and listen to. "Charming" in the best sense of the word, in that you wanted to talk to her and find out more about her. Even Mom remarked on that and purchased the book for herself.
There was an autographing session afterward; during the question/answer part of the show, someone asked her how long she'd be autographing for, and her answer was, "Until they're all signed."
I hate to sound fangirly (because I really wasn't before, I just liked her show and her recipes), but she seemed like such a neat person, and even made a joke about the sun reflecting off her teeth and blinding people. (Mom also noted that she seemed "well-proportioned <Mom's term for not-fake-boobs>, but had an awfully large head")

roseyrose

roseyrose

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 8:24 AM

Italian2816, at the risk of sounding bossy, let me make a suggestion. (For the record, I've never made this recipe.)
Make the port fig sauce a day ahead of time. The recipe says it's OK to do that. Let it sit for a while, heat it up and then taste it. This will give you the opportunity to adjust the sauce for flavor. The ingredients sound great, but it's still a good idea to know what the sauce tastes like before you serve it to guests.
Also, get yourself a digital, instant read meat thermometer. You should be able to buy one at the grocery store for about $12, although you can spend a lot more for a fancier one. That way you'll know for sure when the pork reaches the desired temperature. And trust me, a meat thermometer will change your cooking life and you'll use it all the time.
Good luck.

Carife

Carife

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 9:28 AM

Thanks for the info cafeaulait I stand corrected. I like to actually read facts and I know there was some speculation here about their status. I had also heard that Giada's real dad had been in jail in Italy for some time, but whenever I google him, it says he was a former film producer. Gee wonder if his father-in-law got him the job. I also saw him post on a message board about how was trying to re-establish contact with his children and he was not allowed to come to the US, but wanted a relationship with them. Gee, wonder if the daughter's success has anything to do with this? But then again, just b/c I saw a post on a message board doesn't mean it was really him.

All of their shows make me want to draw all the shades and get in bed all cozy and just watch. Nothing better than a relaxing cooking show and host...unlike some other spastic arm-flailing freaks on the FN who shall remain nameless. Hmph.

GMTA Italian2816 indeed they do! I love me some Ina, Nigella and last but not least Giada. I would love for Giada to take us on a tour of her house. I notice some of the decor in the background looks very nice, although, I'm usually too busy noticing her! lol!

I've seen Igor and Eloisa on there several times though. Some good genes in that family, eh?

Wajo I'll be the first to say, that if I can't be BFF's with Giada, I'll settle for the brother or the sister. Or the mother. Or the aunt. Or the cousin Luca. Or Todd. Dammit! I want to be adopted by this family in the worst way!

Italian2816

Italian2816

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 10:42 AM

Thanks Roseyrose. I did plan to make the sauce ahead of time the night before. The recipe also calls for you to pour the drippings over the meat too, which I actually did not intend to do, but maybe I should as a back up if the sauce is too sweet. I always read the FN reviews too and everyone seemed to rave about the sauce complimenting the pork perfectly. When I eventually make it for the big night I'll keep you posted how it turned out. I have the TIVo set to record the episode today. I'm so anxious to see it!

Mya

Mya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 4:28 PM

Looks like there will be a new episode tomorrow . . . yay.

KitsMama

KitsMama

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 8:59 PM

Italian2816, I've made the pork w/fig sauce a few times. It's a wonderful dish. I've actually made it with a pork tenderloin also as there's only me and my DH here. I did not pour the juices over the meat and it still turned out great. The only thing I did with the fig sauce is I did put it through a strainer because of the seeds, but I think that's a personal preference. Trust me, you can't go wrong with this dish. Enjoy and let us know how it turns out for you.

SeventhHell

SeventhHell

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 4:33 PM

OMGolly! Check out Giada now. It's her rented place, with the one prepper for her. The garage is magnificent.

Is this Chefography?

Giada says, "My friends are actually my friends." Poor SLop.

One episode takes up to 14 hours to shoot.

Edited by SeventhHell, Sep 16, 2006 @ 5:04 PM.