Traffic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

26 replies to this topic

dragonbreath

dragonbreath

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:53 PM

I saw my first commercial for this last night.

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:34 AM

I had no idea that there was a british mini series prior to the film....maybe USA decided to take on this project because most americans, myself included, didn't know about the british traffic.

Regardless, i'm looking forward to seeing this... i like the movie and the commercials are some of the most compelling i've seen come out of USA in while...

It does have quite a bit to live up to though.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:27 PM

I loved both the movie and the British miniseries. Just like the movie wasn't a direct replica of the UK miniseries, I don't expect the US miniseries to be exactly like the UK miniseries. The UK miniseries dealt with the drug running in the UK, which is different than what happens in the US.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 11:45 AM

From the description at the USA Network site, it sounds as though they've dropped the politician storyline that occurred in both the UK mini-series and the movie. I've got my TiVo set to record this next week.

Benji

Benji

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 1:33 PM

The amazing Stephen Hopkins from 24 season 1 fame directs. And the one commercial on the site looks great. I'm in.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 9:56 AM

An interesting article about this mini-series appeared in the New York Times here along with a review here.

Bud's Girl

Bud's Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 10:16 AM

I thought it was a great opening two hours, reminded me a little of The Wire, with the interweaving plots.

Cast is first rate. I wish 24 was more like this, and less with the Kim vs. mountain lion sub plots.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 10:27 AM

That rocked. I can't really say, "Ooo, X's acting was great" or "I really liked it when...". But, for some reason, even though I saw the second showing starting at 11:00pm and I was really tired, I couldn't stop watching it. That's always a good sign.

This may be too early to say this, but it would be neat if they did one of these every six months focusing on new stories and items being 'traffic-ed'.

Who knew Seattle was such a hot-bed of illegal activity. I thought people up there just drank coffee and watched it rain.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

• Interests:What, you mean there's a world outside of TV?

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 10:55 AM

I was pleasantly surprised by how good last night's opening episode was. It did kind of remind me of The Wire as well, and I am really glad they didn't just settle for "remaking" the original series or the movie.

This may be too early to say this, but it would be neat if they did one of these every six months focusing on new stories and items being 'traffic-ed'.

I agree.

Shooshenova

Shooshenova

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

Hate to disagree, but I found the whole mess rather meh. Original was far better with an actual plot serving to move the action forward. It was far less dependent on the camera angles and stealthy-steady-cam to do it for them. Lotsa surface flotsam and jetsam but not a whole lotta depth.
I think I'll just watch the BBC original. I even thought the movie was better and it's not one of Soderbergh's best. The tv show did rip off his colorization effects to show anything "foreign."

dragonbreath

dragonbreath

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

I'd been looking forward to this for several week and thought it was even better than I was expecting.

Elias Koteas - where have you been? He's great here as the DEA agent in Afghanistan and I'd watch him on a regular series.

Mary McCormack - also good as his wife.

Balthazaar Getty - a good role for him. very believable as the newbie businessman.

I like that the film is set in SEattle, and think the Afghanistan scenes are being handled very, very well. Will definitely tune in tonight.

Bud's Girl

Bud's Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 2:18 PM

Word tortuga on Seattle being such a happening city of crime.

And, I never knew they had fashion week.

Edited by Bud's Girl, Jan 27, 2004 @ 2:19 PM.

Clockstomper24

Clockstomper24

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 3:23 AM

Elias Koteas - where have you been?

Beating the shit out of street punks with hockey gear on, and binge drinking with Raphael.

The directing definetly has that "24" feel, something I've missed.

DawnPetters

DawnPetters

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 6:19 AM

That rocked. I can't really say, "Ooo, X's acting was great" or "I really liked it when...". But, for some reason, even though I saw the second showing starting at 11:00pm and I was really tired, I couldn't stop watching it. That's always a good sign.

I feel the same way. I truly enjoyed this show. It held my interest and then some.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 9:24 AM

Little known fact: The alternate title for this mini-series was "The Chechyan Who Wouldn't Die."

I'm glad they finally showed us what the DEA agent in Afganistan was up to because I don't think my patience would have lasted too much longer.

Still really enjoying the miniseries. It makes one think without being too preachy.

Bud's Girl

Bud's Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 9:58 AM

The only thing that bugged me last night was the next door neighbor girl dragging Tyler downtown to get her drugs(reminding me of Topher Grace & Erica Christiansen in the movie, and that gutwrenching scene when Michael Douglas finds her)

Can't these kids get a dealer that comes to the 'burbs?? I know it's for dramatic effect to take the rich kids into the evil element, but come on!

And I too am glad we found out what Mike was up to.

dragonbreath

dragonbreath

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 12:14 PM

The young actor playing the son is very good. Agree - the next door neighbor is the most easily comparable character to the movie, but they're handling that storyline well.

Mary McCormack is a quiet rage here.

The storyline I'm most taken with is the one about Adam [Cliff Curtis]. I find his search for his missing wife/daughter profoundly sad.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 2:09 PM

I'm conflicted about the Adam story line. On one hand, Cliff Curtis is really compelling. (For some reason Cliff Curtis is not included on imdb's listing for Traffic.) On the other, how un-streetwise can one person be? I would have thought that growing up in Chechnya, managing to arrange transportation across half a continent and an ocean, and then remaining in the country illegally would have wisened a person up. But maybe not and that's what the movie is trying to show.

Of all the storylines, only the teenagers really chafe my ass. I like the rest equally. Oddly enough, now that Ben and mob are working together, I'm kinda rooting for them. They're the most amoral and therefore I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help it. Screw the IRS!

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

Because I'm an ill-informed EK fan, I had to Google your reference to figure it out ;). According to IMdB, he's been out of pocket TV/film-wise for a year prior to this -- was he doing stagework?

Regarding the finale, I'm glad they left it fairly open-ended to revisit later, as someone suggested upthread, although I'd have liked some sort of word on what happened to Angie. I thought on the whole, it was really well done, and I was surprised, given the Vancouver locale, how un-heavy it was with Canadian HITG! folks. It worked in the show's favor, I think. Definitely sad, sad material.

My only quibble is that Martin Donovan seemed fairly anvillicious to me -- was it obvious to everyone else, too?

Edited by NickChick, Jan 29, 2004 @ 1:08 AM.

dragonbreath

dragonbreath

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 11:36 AM

I thought they did a good job of tieing it all up, while still leaving it sort of open ended. The search for the container was a good plot line. Too bad that Adam's storyline doens't really get an ending.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 11:44 AM

Who cares about drugs, biological warfare, and illegal immigration? I think the real horror of this show was that sub-division. I can't figure out how they were able to build houses that close together. No wonder Angie did drugs.

Are we to assume that Adam has been infected with smallpox now?

hawkins

hawkins

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 6:34 PM

I was very disappointed in the finale. I don't mind that they went for an ambigious ending where not all the bad guys are drawn and quartered, but I thought it went way off track: multiple containers with the same #s? smallpox infecting illegals in a boat that already sunk? the Chechnian able to waltz past security into the hospital and question the lone survivor that one would think the authorities would be hovering over?

Just far too many gaping holes, which is too bad since the first two nights were quite engrossing. Two final notes: Martin Donovan being a bad guy was telegraphed from the opening bell, he was just too much of a Mr. Nice Guy; and that actress who plays the long-suffering DEA wife? Her acting is just dreadful.

Bud's Girl

Bud's Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 8:51 AM

Considering what I "learned" during season two of The Wire about illegal activities at our ports, I can kinda buy the multiple containers with duplicate numbers. Couldn't they pay dock workers off to forge documents and repaint containers, they hold those containers at the ports for several days while they unload and check them. Just a theory.

Re: Martin Donovan. Agree completely, I knew he was up to something, I hate when they do that soap opera-ish, show the "villain" with a weird look on his face so the viewers start wondering if he's up to something. How about not telegraphing everything to us? I didn't know if they'd play it that Mike got a bum rap and the partner got away, maybe the writers felt there had to be at least one "happy ending".

I felt bad for Adam and the kid in the taxi (name?) at the end, altho the kid knew he was getting into some pretty bad stuff, and knew about the smuggling of illegals, but at least he wasn't a cold blooded killer like Ronnie Chow & Company. Loved the look on Ronnie's face when he knew what was coming.

Didn't it seem pretty fast that all of a sudden all those corpses were being discovered to have smallpox. Maybe a little more tension would have been for the one survivor of the freighter to have not been killed by Ronnie's guy. And nobody was gonna notice a murdered cop sitting in a hallway?

dragonbreath

dragonbreath

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 11:52 AM

that actress who plays the long-suffering DEA wife? Her acting is just dreadful.

I have to disagree. I love Mary McCormack.

Benji

Benji

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 10:38 AM

Well...hmm.

My only quibble is that Martin Donovan seemed fairly anvillicious to me -- was it obvious to everyone else, too?

WORD. He had absolutely no other point being in the miniseries at all. Had nothing to do until the last 15 minutes. Also, I found it unrewarding for him to just be semi-bad and just not know this was smallpox.

The plotline with the kid and Angie was awful and so unrelated to anything else on the show. Seriously, people call the Kim plot on 24 bad? This was terrible. At first, I liked it because I thought it'd be a realistic teenage perspective, but it was a narrative mess that wasted time and was never resolved whatsoever. Not like I cared, cause I hated her, but would it have killed them to put in a throwaway line about how Angie was doing?

Was I the only one confused about what happened to Ronnie with the car keys and whatnot? Could someone help please?

I really liked the main arc and how it all tied together in the end. I loved how relevant that Chechnyan's plot became and how genuinely exciting parts of the finale were. I liked the way they left us with Getty's character on his way to death, but I was unhappy with the ending of Koteas's plotline. Also, Mary McCormack was good, but wasted here. After the first episode, she had nothing to do but chase after her stupid kid.

Overall, I like knowing that really interesting stories like this can still be told through miniseries, but there were some bumpy points in here. Still, I'd definitely go for a sequel. On a final note, did the constant flashbacks to things we'd just seen bother anyone else? It was like they were a half hour short.

Edited by Benji, Feb 1, 2004 @ 10:41 AM.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 11:52 AM

Was I the only one confused about what happened to Ronnie with the car keys and whatnot? Could someone help please?

Are you referring to why he left them? I think he dropped them, saw that he had to go with the mysterious people in the SUV, and realized that he's never going to need his car keys again since he's going to be killed so he didn't bother to pick them up.

hawkins

hawkins

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 7:23 PM

Someone mentioned The Wire re:containers & ports. That show is vastly superior to Traffic: the writing and acting is first-rate. Everything builds and holds together, the characters are nuanced.
And to the person who mentioned the continual flashbacks, I agree. There were way too many. It's a cheap gimmick to pad the length of the show. But given USA's history with long forms, are we really that surprised?