Antiques Roadshow: How Much Is it Worth?

• Please log in to reply

215 replies to this topic

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2005 @ 7:08 AM

I remember one episode (US) where an appraiser was going over some owner's slightly unremarkable item and all of a sudden you hear a horrible, huge CRASH in the background. The appraiser, owner and pretty much half the room stopped in their tracks and turned in slow motion to look with absolute horror on their faces. The appraiser and owner then turned back and finished up after making some sympathetic noises.

The next segment featured the owner of the newly broken object, and thankfully it was worth a pittance. But I laughed so so hard at the appraiser and owner being all "Boy, that has to suck" in much nicer terms.

Edited by quickychick, Feb 5, 2005 @ 7:08 AM.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2005 @ 7:17 AM

I remember hearing the crash, but I didn't get to stick around for the rest of the ep. Was that a Dan ep?

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2005 @ 8:33 AM

StickyKeys, I honestly don't remember--I watch the show so infrequently.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 3:24 AM

In regards to broken objects, I remember hearing one break during a San Diego AR episode. It was during one of those "pan over the crowd" scenes and you just hear the sound of something fragile crashing and breaking into a million pieces. You never see who, where, or what it was, but instead see people looking over in that general direction with "glad that wasn't me" or "that's too bad" faces. I noticed one lady in line had a shopping bag that looked like it was carrying a great deal of weight, but she wasn't the unfortunate victim. It just made me assume the other person might have carried their items that way and the bag gave way. Now I really want to see this broken object owner episode you speak of. It really has to suck to own something, anything, even if it ends up being a run-of-the-mill item and having it break on AR of all places and time.

I want Dan to come back, too. Lara Spencer has incurred the wrath of my boyfriend all because she wears those Chinese dresses. Who does she think she is? Donna Cheng of Seinfeld?

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2005 @ 2:27 AM

Ha! Poor Lara, the reason she irks me is because she never seems to be serious. Everything is "Oh No! Looks like someone won't be going to college!" smile, headtilt.

I saw the SD ep with the crashing and the hilarious part was where the people start looking around all bugeyed like "I didn't do it!"

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 10:47 AM

Yay, more Leigh Keno! His enthusiasm for the Chippendale desk was palpable. I have no eye/nose for antiques, and I think I started getting excited about it!

I thought the corn interlude was interesting. It seems such a 50s kitsch thing. I've seen tons of cast iron corn cornbread molds, and now I want one, although I'm not into the whole corn motif.

StickyKeys, you can find the next location(s) here.

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 9:30 AM

Welcome to Memphis, y'all!

Why was Lara wearing canary yellow lingerie at the Roadshow? Gah, stop this woman!

Favorite participant: the older guy who had the arts and crafts plaques that were worth $30,000-$53,000. I wouldn't hang 'em in my house, but I'm glad they were worth a ton for this guy. But what was wrong with that appraiser? Was the guy hard of hearing, or was the appraiser talking in a weird voice?

Keno brother sighting: Actually, we got a two-fer. Leigh (?) appraised the sugar chest, and the other Keno brother was in the background talking to somebody else. Yay, Kenos!

Favorite piece from last night's show: the glass/diamond necklace. That was bee-yoo-tee-ful.

Biggest haul: lady with the lighthouse clock. Who knew that a clock that had most of its pieces missing, a hole cut in the bottom, and essential pieces replaced could be worth $75-100K?

I felt sorry for the guy with the carved tusk figurines. Not only did he pay too much for the figurines back in the '60s, but his appraiser was oh so condescending about it all.

Nenan52

Nenan52

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 11:17 AM

Word on the yellow lingerie blouse (or whatever that was she had on). Each time I see AR now, I get more and more irked by Lara Spencer. She's not adding to the show at all and I'm sick of her little ongoing fashion show--how many outfit changes did she have in the Memphis episode? Too many, IMHO.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 11:39 AM

I get the sense that the purpose of Lara is to "attract a younger audience." I also get a "Trading Spaces" vibe from her puns and the way they do the interlude segments. I think it degrades the show and just plain sucks all around. And that nasty yellow slip was just indescribably horrid.

Very excited that AR is coming to my "tiny Midwestern town" and am PRAYING that my sis, mom and I get tickets!!

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 11:47 AM

Very excited that AR is coming to my "tiny Midwestern town" and am PRAYING that my sis, mom and I get tickets!!

*crossing fingers for Hildegard802* Are tickets for people who have items to be appraised, or is there also a section for people who just want to mill around and watch?

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 2:23 PM

Quag, you don't get in without a ticket (random drawing) and "one or two" items for appraisal.

The show's web site has a virtual tour of the "Roadshow experience" that's pretty interesting.

ETA: The local PBS station ran announcements that if you had furniture for appraisal and lived within 50 miles, you were to send a photo of it. If your piece was selected, AR would pick up the furniture and deliver it to the site. The announcement was put out well in advance of the time people could start applying for tickets. So maybe people whose furniture is selected don't have to apply for tickets?? Not sure about that.

Edited by Hildegard802, Feb 15, 2005 @ 2:28 PM.

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 3:34 PM

Thanks for the info, Hildegard802. I always wondered if the owners had to move and pay for the transfer of heavy furniture items.

eyechart

eyechart

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 6:35 PM

I, too, miss Dan, though I don't find Lara quite so offensive. I'm upset they haven't come to my neck of the woods; I think they've been to Rochester but bypassed Buffalo entirely. Maybe next year.

I remember a Will + Grace episode featuring an AR show and Grace had bought something at a flea market in order to get on. She and Jack created reaction faces such as, "This is when I find out I dusted my valuable chest with lemon Pledge". Then she goes on, finds out her vase/teacup/chatchke is worth $30K (or so), and accidentally breaks it while there.

Do they always save the most valuable for last now, and did they do that on older episodes as well? I knew when the woman had the Poe daguerrotype it would be worth a lot! But it hurts the show; just wait til the last ten minutes for the "star".

Love the Keno brothers also, but I also like Suzanne and Alisdair and Mr. Rex Wex.

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2005 @ 10:53 AM

Do they always save the most valuable for last now, and did they do that on older episodes as well?

Actually, I think they mix it up a little each time. I used to think they saved the big money item for the end every time, too; but on closer inspection, I noticed that they seem to try to vary when the big ticket item appears. I've never seen them start right off with something that costs over $10K, but sometimes it will appear in the first half.

I like the informal "confession" booth interviews at the end. Most of the people who file through there had items that were't worth very much. I can see where they wouldn't waste too much time featuring them in the heart of the show with a big buildup and an appraiser, but I like to see the cheap stuff that people think are valuable. So far, most of the people at the end are good sports and laugh at their "valuables."

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2005 @ 3:40 AM

My first post is in computer shut down heaven so here goes #2!

At the end of the last ep (Memphis) there were two ladies that were smiling and all "It's fake!" and started cracking up. I loved it because it's totally something my friend would do.

Darn you Quag! You stole every thought I was going to post! You are now my arch enemy (or are you my new best friend?).

Anyhoo, just some add ons...

re: Lara's Lang-or-ree

I too wondered the same thing about the cami she was wearing, then I noticed she was pregnant and probably taking advantage of her bodacious boobies, but on an antiquing show? What kind of audience was she trying to attract? I have a soft spot for soon to be mommies though so she gets a pass this time.

re: Which Keno?

It was actually Leslie that appraised the sugar cabinet and I know because I was so excited that I could tell them apart. Then I saw Leigh in the background and for all of you watchers, the funnest Roadshow game is Find That Keno! They're frickin' everywhere!

I'm also getting really good at estimating value ranges for items. The only thing I'm never sure about is pottery and glass, it depends on the backstory, but usually I'm very accurate except for that stupid clock. Speaking of which...

re: Trashed Treasure

$75,000 - $100,000! For that ugly piece of junk? I was telling my friend about it on the phone* and I went down the list of things wrong with it. Missing feet, pendulum, alarms, worn finish, no original casing, hole in the bottom. She agreed with me that they should have charged the lady for wasting their time, then I told her how much it was worth and she freaked out and demanded that we go junkin' the following weekend.

Le Sigh.

ps. I thought the ducks were too cute.

*Yes, I'm the nerd that calls you in the middle of the day to tell you about what I saw on AR. There are many perks to outweigh this flaw so don't count me out just yet.

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2005 @ 10:06 AM

Darn you Quag! You stole every thought I was going to post! You are now my arch enemy (or are you my new best friend?).

Oh, great, StickyKeys. You're my first nemesis. Then again, you call your friends to discuss AR. We just might have to be nemesis/best friends.

I haven't reached your level of skill at guessing the prices. I tend to be a bit more . . . random. For big items, I shout either $2,000 or $8,000 at the TV. If the backstory is long and drawn out, it's not worth as much. If it's short and to the point, I usually go for $8,000. For smaller items, I guess $600-$800, and I'm right more often. For anything that's small and made of paper, I say $200-$300.

I'm still working on my method.

ETA that last night I actually did pretty good at guessing prices. The ones I got right: the monkey box cap shooter ($3,000), the gold pocket watch ($4,000), the English sideboard ($20,000), and the big ticket item--the honey pot ($20,000-$30,000).

Being a yooge Elvis fan, I was disappointed that the Big E's Army stencil and picture wasn't worth more.

But how cute were the Kenos in the jug band? One of them had thimbles on his finger while he pretended to play the washboard.

Edited by Quag, Feb 22, 2005 @ 10:39 AM.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 4:16 PM

I have applied for my AR tickets and now have to wait for four months to find out if I get any. Tickets, that is.

I'm already having nightmares. Like, I'm heading into the arena and suddenly discover that I have crap like cheap broken statuary and run-of-the-mill rummage sale clothing for appraisal. So then I go into hysterics because I had carefully selected the semi-decent stuff that I was going to take and now all of a sudden I've got junk that I'm too embarrassed to show anyone. And the nightmare progressively worsens until I have to wake myself up.

I'm baring my soul to the world in hopes that doing so will purge me of this ridiculous obsession. I can't handle four months of AR nightmares. I think I may need to get a life.

Edited by Hildegard802, Feb 22, 2005 @ 4:17 PM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2005 @ 1:38 AM

I went to AR several years ago, in Baltimore, and not only was my vase worth
only about $75, it was Lark Mason who delivered that news.
It was fun going to AR. The lines are long, and I brought a folding yard chair,
which I could just give to someone else once I got to the door.
The Keno brothers worked the line, and were greeted like rock stars.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2005 @ 2:49 AM

As well they should be because they rock so hard! I love their enthusiasm. When Leigh was appraising the side board, he got me excited.

Laura still had on the bra top, but for only one segment so it wasn't too bad.

LOVED the jug band, cuteness overhaul!

I love the guy who does the posters. I think his name is Simon Lowery. He's so young, yet so into what he does. There was a guy that came in with a poster he bought because he liked the colors. Anyhoo, it ended up being an ENLIST poster and 1 of 10 known to exist. It was worth 100,000 and Simon looked like he was about to cry. It's so sweet.

My appraiser skills were a bit off (I blame you Quag, but I still love you, Frienemies 4-EVAH!)

I was with my friend and I told her the honey jar was either under $20,000, over $50,00, or somewhere in between. She looked at me like I was crazy in the head.

Oh well, a very cute ep with lots of fun stuff to be had.

clarimon

clarimon

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2005 @ 10:52 AM

Then there was the American eppy where an elderly woman brought in a small John and Thomas Seymour side table--it even had a viable label. She'd bought it for $25.00 at a yard sale. They estimated $300,000.00. (It eventually sold at auction for $490,000.00)

Oh that was a good one. That was one lucky lady. Is it reallly worth all that, or do people just get caught up in the auction frenzy?

My other favorite segment took place in the SF Bay Area. A woman had a cone shaped cardboard looking item. I think it even had a piece of tape on it. It really looked junky. She said that her Grandpa got it at the San Jose flea market for $25. She kept implying that her Grandpa is sort of loopy, he wasted money, the family can't believe he bought the stupid thing, blah blah blah... then the appraiser said it was an Alutian (sp?) helmet and is worth ~$60,000!

I also like the toy appraiser guy. It might just be that I find toys the most interesting antiques. I get just as excited as him when a great old toy is shown. I am amazed that some people keep their childhood toys is such good condition.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2005 @ 2:25 AM

I loved that SF episode. It was an Alaskan tribe wasn't it? I think you have the name right.

I also like the little tidbits they show at the bottom of the screen, but I wish they would elaborate. This guy had memorabilia from the 1940's world fair, and they said something like, "And you know about the scandal that happened there!" And I was like, "No." Then there was the little flag that said What happened at the 1940 World Fair? Go to PBS.org for more info.

Which was nice, but you couldn't give a small blurb?

Anyhoo, I always wonder about the childhoods of people with immaculate toys. Why so stuffy?

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 9:52 AM

Anyhoo, I always wonder about the childhoods of people with immaculate toys. Why so stuffy?

OK, this made me laugh. Really hard.

It doesn't help that this is exactly what I think, too. I mean, on the one hand, good for them for having such mint condition items that could bring them loads of money; but, on the other hand, I weep for their childhood because their toys spent an awful lot of time in boxes and stayed all clean and tidy.

By the way, anybody know the value of a very much-played with Baby Tender Love or a slightly ratty Baby That-a-Way?

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 6:19 PM

slightly ratty Baby That-a-Way

This put dirty thoughts in my head. Not sure why, just did. (I like it baby, that a way..)

Anyhoo, now for my favorite game

Where's that Keno!

Saw both bros tonight. First, Leslie in line behind the Regina (rhymes with mangina) music box, and Leigh in line behind "Ted" the Teddy Bear.

Q's

1. When they were showing the Darby vase with all the gold leaf (heh), there was a lady who appeared to be doing sign language to the camera, anyone know?

2. An Elvis outfit for $100,000?! I'm in the wrong business.

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 11:48 AM

This put dirty thoughts in my head. Not sure why, just did. (I like it baby, that a way..)

Oh, StickyKeys, my fremesis. You have forever corrupted my childhood toy. Whyyyy?

Keno Watch: I saw Leslie but completely missed Leigh.

I didn't see the sign language going on either. It's funny how 99.9% of the time, I'm so absorbed in the items that I don't see anything going on in the background. Occasionally, I zoom in on someone kinda mugging for the camera. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out.

I love me some Elvis, but I never knew his sweaty clothes would bring so much money. Wow, just wow! That reeeaally makes up for my disappointment last week when his Army stencil and the photo wasn't worth a crap.

Can they let Lara change her clothes now? Please?

I was very happy for the guy with Grandma Moses painting. I like folk art, and it's inspired me to look for some (although a whole lot cheaper) for my house.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 12:14 PM

Can they let Lara change her clothes now? Please?

Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing, that's rich!

I usually try to pay attention to the items, but if they begin to bore me, I always look at the background. Sometimes it's a lot more interesting.

Side Note: Do Southerners know that they lost? Why are they paying all this money for memorabilia?

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2005 @ 4:15 AM

I saw that Lara was on Extra filling in for the phone answering machine sex guy? Have there been any knew eps of the show, and is this why?

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 10:12 AM

I'm going! My mom and sister got tickets, so that's four people and 8 items. A week from Saturday--I'M DYING HERE!!

Still having nightmares though.

ETA: Was glad to hear that Lara is no longer host. I haven't liked anyone since Chris Jussel, but I'll give Mr. Wahlberg a chance.

Edited by Hildegard802, Jul 19, 2005 @ 10:15 AM.

OraBrooch

OraBrooch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 4:51 PM

I think it was... last night? This very sweet older man had bought a baseball jersey at a garage sale for fifty bucks. It was a Minnesota Millers jersey (the minor league version of the Twins).

It was number 28, and the guy was talking about how he thought it might have been Willie Mays' jersey. There was also a repaired tear in the right sleeve, so he was worried it might bring the value down (as it was otherwise immaculate).

After doing some research, the Old Guy found a picture of Mays wearing that same jersey, with the tear and everything.

So, he bought it for fifty bucks, and the appraisal estimate? $60,000-$80,000 dollars. The Old Guy got tears in his eyes, and I got goosebumps.

nh lass

nh lass

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 5:25 PM

Count me in as a Keno fan, I was surprised to learn a while back that Leigh had a son, 3yo or so, never married the mother but is helping to raise the son.

Anyone seen them on their own show, "FIND!"? I almost fainted, "what has happened to my Keno Brothers?" They both got shaggy haircuts, blonde highlights, and tight designer jeans, they look like rent boys! Bring back the blue suits....

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 5:37 PM

Word nh lass . What is that about? Shaggy cuts, highlights, what is this Queer Eye for the Antiquing Kind?