Rachael Ray: 30 Minute Meals and $40 a Day

• Please log in to reply

16002 replies to this topic

sharina

sharina

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

Oh my god. I am home today and I'm watching this show "Livin' it up with Ali and Jack" (it sucks, BTW) and RayRay is on and they brought out her boyfriend!! He is totally different than what I expected.

He is barely taller than her. He reminds me of a young Pete Rose and his hair is that awful pseudo-mullet that a lot of guys have. Ali said he looks like her brother and he does! RayRay said, "Ladies, he is a catch. He loves to shop, loves to cook, is a lawyer, and a rock star." I couldn't help but think Will from Will and Grace (without the rockstar part). She even pimped that he was playing at some bar but it was probably a repeat anyways.

Edited by LTG, Jul 27, 2006 @ 3:00 PM.

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:29 PM

I'm watching the Belgian episode of 30MM meals right now where RR is making Belgian waffles. Hey RR! You don't bake. We know. Sheesh. How many times does she have to repeat that? And does she say that in every episode when she gets to the dessert part?

Edited by VaVaVoom, Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:36 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:34 PM

And does she say that in every episode when she gets to the dessert part?

Yes, yes she does.

jazmyne

jazmyne

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:58 PM

And I don't know if you all know it or not, but since she doesn't bake, she does a lot of desserts with ice cream. Because, no baking.

Sori

Sori

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

Because I dislike her so much, this made me smile:

sharina

He is barely taller than her. He reminds me of a young Pete Rose and his hair is that awful pseudo-mullet that a lot of guys have. Ali said he looks like her brother and he does!

techgirl

techgirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:47 PM

*meeky raises her hand*

I'm gonna try the burger with the foie gras. I had one at a French restaurant here in Dallas and was surprised at how lovely the flavors were together. Certainly not something I would want every day... but with some nice pomme frites and homemade mayo (something Rachael wouldn't take the time to make)... mmmmmm.

I find that I have to listen to Rachael as opposed to watching her... she makes me nauseous with all that bouncing about.

Another comment on the $40/day tipping issue. This is me playing devils advocate here, but if she was tipping 20%, do you think we would be debating the opposite side of the issue? Arguing about how she could have had another drink or ordered one more tapas or whatever if she wasn't tipping more than the average American does? Seems like a no win situation to me....

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:51 PM

For some reason, watching her today doing her Orange-Almond Couscous and Tilapia, she seems even louder than usual. I had to keep turning the volume down because she was SHOUTING SO MUCH. What is up with that? It's not like she was making loud food.

Damn, I wish I could have seen her "sweetie," although I really can't bring myself to watch "Livin' it Up."

My husband thinks her voice grates so much because she smokes cigars.

Edited by keckler, Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:53 PM.

Elphaba

Elphaba

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 3:55 PM

I posted a few weeks ago about seeing Rachael's SO on that same morning show. If he caught a football, it was a repeat. Mullet? It sure didn't look like one to me. I thought he was cute.

PissyMissy

PissyMissy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:49 PM

OK, I need a small hint; who is bighead/little body?

It's Giada De Laurentiis who is the host of Everyday Italian. The description fits her perfectly! If you haven't seen her show, check it out. I guarantee you will be mesmerized by her head for the entire time.

Mr. Pissy stumbled into the room while I was watching her one day and asked if, with her tiny body, giant head and hands, she'd escaped from Middle Earth.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

My husband thinks her voice grates so much because she smokes cigars.

Oh, I don't think so, because I usually find that bit of growl attractive. It's, dare I say it?, "smoky". Or "nice and smoky". Or "nice and smoky...exaahtic". Or just "yummmm".

I think she yells because, I swear, she must have been in the high school drama club or something. And she always remembers teacher saying she needs to reach the waaay back seats so all her gestures have to be bigbigbig to be convincing. So she can't just say, "Mmm, this is tasty." She has to throw her fists up and scream about it because otherwise the 3-year-olds won't know how good it is. That's my weekly RR rant. I'm good through the 11th.

KUkerri

KUkerri

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:00 PM

I was exploring my new RR "30 Minute Get-Togethers" cookbook last night (thanks, Santa!), and I commented to my husband that if RR and her "sweetie" break up, she is going to be really annoyed with herself for mentioning him so much in that book. Practically every recipe talks about him and how much she loves him and schmoopy, schmoopy, schmoopy, etc. The same way I feel about all those stupid hearts I drew in my yearbook around my high school boyfriend, except on a much grander scale.

I was sad last night when it was a repeat of one of the weekend's shows. I guess that is usually the case on Monday though. It bugged (all over again) how she was congratulating herself about what a great idea her portabello "bun" is.

DeepRed

DeepRed

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:27 PM

For you Queer Eye fans out there, on one of the two episodes shown yesterday Ray Ray put some stuff in her food processor and said "give it a quick zhujzh" - or however that word's spelled; Carson's and Kyan's word, you know the one I mean.

Re portabellos as buns: I had a tuna melt on a portabello "bun" for the first time last fall, at a restaurant in Pittsfield, MA. Mmm, very tasty. Highly recommended.

BetJo

BetJo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:46 PM

She doesn't pretend to be a chef, she is a person that can cook

This is sooo true. There are those out there that would like to think they are "Chefs" because they have the credentials, but their "stuff" just does not hit the spot.

No matter how complicated it is, or how long it takes to prepare, or how pretty it is presented, if it doesn't taste good, what is the purpose?

RR's stuff hits the spot and is delicious, easy to fix and doesn't take all day.

My only complaint about her is that lately she looks as if she is putting on a little too much weight and I wish she would trim her hair. I liked it much better when it wasn't falling all in her face and was just shoulder length.

She should wear it more in the pony tail when she is cooking food.

ETA I really do know how to spell shoulder

Edited by BetJo, Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:48 PM.

raramama

raramama

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:11 PM

For you Queer Eye fans out there, on one of the two episodes shown yesterday Ray Ray put some stuff in her food processor and said "give it a quick zhujzh" - or however that word's spelled; Carson's and Kyan's word, you know the one I mean.

Watched for the first time over the weekend. I like her "recipes" but girlfriend needs to calm down. She's like a cheerleading - I was ready to see her do a somersault for the red onions.

Does she always "shop" around her kitchen like that?

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

Watched for the first time over the weekend.

MMMmmmMMMMMhmmmm, preciouuus... Spider caught a flyyyy... Come over to the hate-side, raramama. Come...

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:14 PM

Does she always "shop" around her kitchen like that?

Oh yes! And her mom would yell at her for trying to carry all of those things at one time. You'll have the routine down in no time, raramama. And the garbage bowl is there every episode too.

Sori

Sori

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:45 PM

And don't forget about how her sister cuts around bell peppers with a paring knife when, as RR always reminds us, you can just rip of the stem and seeds in one move over the garbage bowl! Actually, I like that tip and have been doing it ever since I first saw her do it.

raramama

raramama

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:57 PM

Thanks for the info! She was driving me crazy with that shopping crap. This show looks perfect snarking material, yet it has some usefulness.

kimmako

kimmako

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:13 PM

Go toward the light, raramama! the light!

She has her quirks, but she beats Giada, Ceci and Sandra Lee hands down!!!

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:16 PM

I was ready to see her do a somersault for the red onions.

Hee! She is quite the perkmeister, isn't she?

Can anybody tell me about a sauce for hot pasta--more a dressing, really--that had anchovies as one of the ingredients? The episode aired sometime within the past week or two, but I can't seem to find it on the Food TV site.

Edited by CydW, Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:17 PM.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:32 PM

Nigella said "zhujzh" on her show before Queer Eye was even a twinkle in someone's eye. I remember thinking what a great word it was, sort of an all-encompassing term. I'd like to know if there's OED documentation of its first usage.

Elphaba

Elphaba

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:57 PM

Thanks for the info! She was driving me crazy with that shopping crap.

I think she does that because she says she's preparing a meal in thirty minutes and gathering the ingredients becomes part of the thirty minutes. On most other cooking shows, the chefs have all their ingredients prepared and premeasured into little glass bowls. The time for all that chopping and measuring isn't shown. Rachael Ray shows it.

Cyd, is it her Pasta Puttanesca?

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:50 PM

Go toward the light, raramama! the light!

I saw her first! But OK. We'll put raramama in the middle and see who she comes to. Or runs from--the tape loop of RRs giggle is on the opposite side of the room. (Yes, though, she can pull out some decent quick recipes; her desserts are generally bullshit.)

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:56 PM

Thanks, Elphaba! I didn't think it was that recipe, because I was wandering in and out of the room and thought she was saying something about a simpler preparation, along the lines of just olive oil, garlic, and anchovies. But I may well have misunderstood--or else maybe she digressed a bit while working on the puttanesca.

Come to think of it, mmmmm...puttanesca.

gyc

gyc

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:43 PM

CydW: Perhaps it's Aglio Olio

raramama

raramama

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:43 PM

I saw her first! But OK. We'll put raramama in the middle and see who she comes to.

*An Evil!Rachael and a Good!Racheal suddenly appear on Raramama's shoulders*

*Both are strangely perky*

I need to watch more eppys and then we'll see which Rachael wins. Mmwhahahaha!

Edited by raramama, Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:45 PM.

jazmyne

jazmyne

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:59 AM

But shopping around the kitchen is how I cook all the time. I suddenly realize, "Oh, I forgot to get the garlic." or "I thought there was a can of chicken broth in the cupboard, but I guess I'll have to go out to the pantry to get it."

I also love the pepper tip. And because of Rachael, I bought a really good knife that makes life so much better.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:37 AM

On most other cooking shows, the chefs have all their ingredients prepared and premeasured into little glass bowls. The time for all that chopping and measuring isn't shown.

This is exactly what drives me crazy about most cooking shows. Also, who wastes cupboard space storing a million tiny bowls? What other use would they have? If I want a teaspoon of cinnamon, I'll take it right from the jar. Why would I put it in a teeny tiny bowl first?

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

Maybe it's an advertising issue? If the cooks were to add ingredients like kosher salt, cumin, etc. directly from the jar, we'd see the product's name brand -- and the producers don't want to provide that kind of publicity for free.

Also, who wastes cupboard space storing a million tiny bowls? What other use would they have?

Quite often, the ramekins I use for crème brulée can double up quite nicely as small containers for chopped garlic, scallions, and so forth.

raramama

raramama

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:44 AM

So she grew up in NY, she strikes me as a midwest girl for some reason. This quote gave me the wiggins:

"My first vivid memory is watching Mom in a restaurant kitchen. She was flipping something with a spatula. I tried to copy her and ended up grilling my right thumb! I was 3 or 4," says Ray.

I have to admire her infallible positive attitude though.