Good Eats

• Please log in to reply

4452 replies to this topic

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

Alton Brown is one of those people I wish I had never learned anything about in real life, as I wound up disliking him so much it took effort to set that aside and simply enjoy the show. But I really do miss Good Eats; it was unique and incredibly informative.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Oct 28, 2012 @ 3:51 PM.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

I think Alton Brown now appears on FN more than when "Good Eats" was at its peak. Unfortunately, his performance has gone downhill as the host of NIC, and a mentor on NFNS. He's even on the Thanksgiving Live show. None of those "co-stars" are as good as the yeast, Sid or the Dungeonmaster.

Biosynth

Biosynth

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I preferred Alton when he was cooking and giving us the science of cooking. I don't like mean Alton when he hosts.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

He's appearing on this Sunday's episode of Mythbusters not sure what they will be investigating but I think my nerdy little heart may explode at having all three of them together!

Apparently when Alton was in San Francisco back in March, he took his family to the MB studios and they had a great time.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Thank you, ElectricBoogalo!

It looks like a Thanksgiving dinner episode.

What fun! And I'll bet he had a blast doing this (not literally, I hope).

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I loved the show today - a whole hour of "Good Eats". His sister was on - and he went scientific.

He didn't do his Green Bean Casserole although mentioned it while showing the spread he was going to have.

They truly are the Best Ever GBC - highly recommend. I've been making them for several years and they are real and a hit. Easy breezy and no canned soup. I developed an adversion to canned mushroom soup (celery or chicken ok). So glad I did = fresh, fresh, fresh. Although I use canned onions from TJ's.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 5:16 PM

I am so glad that Good Eats is shown once a day on FN and several times on Cooking Channel. The trouble is that every time I watch this wonderful series, it makes almost everything else on FN look even worse.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 1:51 AM

Coming soon to the Nerdist podcast network: The Alton Browncast!

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 3:14 AM

And now the Browncast is out!  The first 2 episodes are up, and it's not too bad.  It's AB talking food news (a lot of which he posts on his blog), interviewing food celebrities (episode 2: Bobby Flay), and then the interesting part.  They've set it up so that you can "call in" during a recording of an episode (probably Skype or some equivalent) and AB will answer questions from the call-in guests  Typically suggestions for what or how to cook with a certain ingredient, like squid or crab.

Plus in episode one, a guest calls in for advice on how to make a web-series cooking show, and AB mentions he's working on his own.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

I recently caught the BBQ hour long episode he did where he demonstrated how to rig a gas grill, a charcoal grill, and a homemade setup into decent home smokers.

As I had recently caught a couple episodes of BBQ Pitmasters, I had the dumb idea in my head that I should be smoking meat in my backyard, so Alton's gas grill rig was exactly what I needed to get motivated.

As it turns out, it is not perfect, but it works really well! I've done chicken a couple times, pork loin, ribs, and butt with various levels of success. The biggest issue is just experience with understanding how long things actually take. The chicken was excellent, but the breasts were over-done because I didn't check them fast enough.  The wings and legs however, were the best BBQ chicken I've ever had. Not made. Had. The ribs were great, and could have been even better if I had started them earlier. The butt was for pulled pork, but I didn't give it enough time again. I had to feed the kids, and took it off the grill about an hour before it would have been fall-apart tender. It still pulled okay and tasted great.

Good eats was a great show. Not every episode was something I would use, but his method of teaching always allowed me to apply his lessons to something I wanted to do.

Edited by JTMacc99, Aug 19, 2013 @ 2:04 PM.

Maxine of Arc

Maxine of Arc

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

I tried Alton's green bean casserole recipe for Thanksgiving. The white sauce came out great, the casserole came together fine.. but the onions, rather than baking to a nice golden brown and all that, mostly just burned to the extent that I had to throw out the cookie sheet rather than try to separate it from the onion-shaped carbon squiggles. So I'd definitely use canned onions if I were to try that one again, which to be honest I probably won't.

So that was a fail, but I've been making variations on his fruitcake recipe for years and it's amazing and highly anticipated by my friends, or so they claim.

Not sure if I want to go to Alton's tour, which is coming through town next month, as post-GE I've found him increasingly personally off-putting, but I'm still considering it.

Catri

Catri

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 7:16 PM

I miss Good Eats.  I tried the podcast back in summer but abandoned it when Alton started making sloppy chewing noises into his mic when he tasted something.  I always mean to check back in and see if he's stopped doing that, but just can't be bothered.  I don't know if it's him or me, but I just don't like him as well in any setting other than Good Eats.

CheeseBurgh

CheeseBurgh

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

I can't watch him since the Thanksgiving live debacle.