Judge Judy

• Please log in to reply

24876 replies to this topic

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

So am I to understand that JJ feels that someone is within their rights to make up and report the most outlandish and offensive of allegations and report them to CPS? The guy ended up getting thoroughly investigated for it and he has no recourse to the slander? Wow, just wow....

I didn't get that JJ felt like she made up the allegations. It seemed like her issue was that she didn't report what she allegedly witnessed until after the breakup.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Everyone has an obligation, morally and/or legally, to report any suspected child abuse, but not 3 months after they allegedly witnessed the abuse. That was the problem with Special Ed teacher.

And what was she saying about nearly dying from an STD? What kind of STD nearly kills a person that quickly?

tenant had been renting a house for 14 yrs

OMG, those two! No wonder they couldn't come to any agreements. Neither of them was capable of listening for one second and neither could shut their big mouths. Both of them were supremely annoying. I'm glad they got nothing.

Rock42

Rock42

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

And what was she saying about nearly dying from an STD? What kind of STD nearly kills a person that quickly?

IIRC, she said that she checked herself into the hospital for the STDs and caught sepsis in the hospital and the sepsis is what nearly killed her.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

And if damages were levied against the person filing a report to CPS just because the reported party is cleared, it would have a terrible chilling effect that would cause true incidents of abuse to go unreported, since the observing parties would fear having to pay damages should the accused be cleared.

robxr4ti

robxr4ti

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:51 AM

I didn't get that JJ felt like she made up the allegations. It seemed like her issue was that she didn't report what she allegedly witnessed until after the breakup.

Then that would be scarier yet because it was VERY clear that the allegations were retaliation.

And if damages were levied against the person filing a report to CPS just because the reported party is cleared, it would have a terrible chilling effect that would cause true incidents of abuse to go unreported, since the observing parties would fear having to pay damages should the accused be cleared.

While this is true in most cases, I don't believe that reckless charges can be made without consequence. I've seen on other shows where the person got nailed for exactly that. Here we have the most insane charges that she didn't report until they broke up. It was clearly in retaliation. I suspect if this was People's Court, she'd been nailed for $5k.

cjkatl

cjkatl

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Things that went through my mind watching today's Dallas Cowboys Defendant
  • The song "Funkytown"
  • Barbara Hershey in Beaches
  • The opening of "Rocky Horror Picture Show"
  • Ronald McDonald without lipstick
  • Why?????

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

•Barbara Hershey in Beaches

Only if Ms.Hershey happened to be a nasty, scamming bitch who OD'd on collagen, which in this case was a total waste of money. Oh yeah, as if any man would be so desperate for favours from this shopworn, tacky bitch that he would make up a case like this to get even for being rebuffed.
I love the camera crew on this show. They know just which angles to use.

As for the first case, I guess romance has changed since I was young. Not once did any boyfriend of mine bring me bedbugs, "tussle" around with me, punch holes in my door or smash my electronics then call the damage "casualities of war". Love in the new millenium is not for weaklings!

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

Things that went through my mind watching today's Dallas Cowboys Defendant

The song "Funkytown"
Barbara Hershey in Beaches
The opening of "Rocky Horror Picture Show"
Ronald McDonald without lipstick
Why?????

What the hell is waiting on my DVR tonight?!

bearinr1, I had the sense that the kid lied to protect his mom because JJ was pinning both against the wall, then she really stuck it to him, humiliating them both by stomping all over his integrity much worse than he thought would happen, then he was on the spot because of how (much more) terrible they'd both look if he changed direction again at that point. Just the way he kept biting his lip, looking around, glancing sort of, but not quite at, his mom.

I totally agree. I thought the son was covering for his lying mother. He seemed so miserable, and the mom looked uncomfortable as well.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

As for the first case, I guess romance has changed since I was young. Not once did any boyfriend of mine bring me bedbugs, "tussle" around with me, punch holes in my door or smash my electronics then call the damage "casualities of war".

He didn't?--Angela what were you doing that loser?????

Isabelledarling

Isabelledarling

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

Heard Judge Judy make a grammatical error today when she said "that strikes me as totally incredulous." Way to go, JJ.

becky4201

becky4201

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

Holy duck lips Batman!!!

Rock42

Rock42

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I liked the end of the Dallas Cowboys season tickets case when the Plaintiff and Defendant started arguing with each other and the Plaintiff didn't even pay enough attention to JJ to know that he won his case until Byrd told him as he was leaving.

robxr4ti

robxr4ti

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:51 AM

I liked the end of the Dallas Cowboys season tickets case when the Plaintiff and Defendant started arguing with each other and the Plaintiff didn't even pay enough attention to JJ to know that he won his case until Byrd told him as he was leaving.

"Hey you won. Step out". Bwaaa!

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Case 1: Dallas Cowboys Ticket scam or Kollagen Kapers
Defendent has to put $ 15000 down as a reserve toward buying football tickets (to later resell) and when it comes time to pony up the balance for the purchase, she didn't have the money and Plaintiff steps in with a loan. Now I wonder what she did with the money? Hmmm.. let's see (purses lips) I really wonder... Hmmm(scrunches up lips) well I can't imagine what she did with the money! (puffs up lips and blows out in exasperation)

I was very dissapointed that she wasn't from Long Island or New Jersey. I am thinking that Victoria Gotti or Theresa Guidice has a long lost cousin in Texas.

Anyway--anyone old enough to have been taught the New Math?(in the 60s):
WHINENCHEEZ' JUDGE JUDY SHOW NEW MATH
The probablility that the Defendant will claim that the Plaintiff is suing them only because they wanted to sleep with or date him/her is directly proportional to the unnattractivess of said Defendant.

Case 2: Babysitting Blowup or Assualt and Battery with a Depends
Ok, sitter was shady but I wanted to smack the Mother. Yes, it isn't a day in the park raising and obtaining sitting for an autistic kid but lady tone down the righteous indignation a peg or 2. I always enjoy when people sue for medical damage and never even went for medical care.

Edited by WhineandCheez, May 9, 2012 @ 7:47 AM.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Ok, sitter was shady but I wanted to smack the Mother. Yes, it isn't a day in the park raising and obtaining sitting for an autistic kid but lady tone down the righteous indignation a peg or

Particularly when I suspect the "abuse" was open to interpretation. I also heard the nanny mention that the mother didn't mention that the daughter was special needs until the work day started.

I'm the wide-eyed observer in an ongoing lawsuit myself, and yes, it's hilarious how people will claim medical damages and severe emotional disturbance and then get shocked when the court needs more than "Well, I said so" for back up.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

The probablility that the Defendant will claim that the Plaintiff is suing them only because they wanted to sleep with or date him/her is directly proportional to the unnattractivess of said Defendant.

Bill Maher needs to include that in a segment of "New Rules"!

"Hey you won. Step out". Bwaaa!

You just know in Byrd's mind the "Step out" was really a "Fuck off".

monkfish

monkfish

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

In the special ed teacher case, JJ seemed to miss the fact that the iPhone cost the man only $50 because the woman signed and paid a service contract.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I think the technical term for the dad in today's rent case is "a hoot".

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Dad rent case: Yes, he was a hoot, with his homespun hillbilly homilies. The son (I guess the army will take anyone) and his blank-faced child bride were not nearly so entertaining.

JJ loved and adored the dog bite litigants. She smiled upon them! I guess she was so smitten by the fact that she had people who could actually speak English, weren't welfare/SSI scammers/deadbeat baby daddies and who didn't have warrants out on them for DUI or domestic assaults. She even overlooked the def's annoying assertation that the incident was the dog's fault.

momtoall

momtoall

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

JJ loved and adored the dog bite litigants. She smiled upon them! I guess she was so smitten by the fact that she had people who could actually speak English, weren't welfare/SSI scammers/deadbeat baby daddies and who didn't have warrants out on them for DUI or domestic assaults. She even overlooked the def's annoying assertation that the incident was the dog's fault

The case was a refreshing change. No pointless comments about past behaviors. No, he cheats on his wife. No, they're jealous of me, No, they don't need the money. The litigants came to have the case resolved, period.

The dad in the rent case certainly amused JJ but I found his homespun act a little over the top. JMO.

Edited by momtoall, May 10, 2012 @ 6:30 AM.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:13 AM

"Hoot" is correct! Dad/Plaintiff was one of the more entertaining and likeable JJ litigants that I have seen on this show. JJ and Byrd were cracking up throughout his colorful telling of the facts (as was I). Did he say at the end of the case that his son and the teenaged bride were leaving with the son's witness in a one bedroom apartment? If so, then he is right that the son is a leech.

Plumbago Blue

Plumbago Blue

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

True that. I wasn't sitting and watching but was listening with my back turned and had to keep turning around, thinking it was Larry the Cable Guy making a guest appearance. The overdone accents were eerily similar. Finally, a man with old fashioned morals and a work ethic. How did he get past the screeners?

Rock42

Rock42

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

In the dog bite case, I also appreciated the good sportsmanship (for lack of a better term) showed by the litigants during the hallterview, where the defendant said that since their children are friends, they have to get along, so he was willing to let bygones by bygones, and both parties shook hands. Warmed my heart.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I'm a little behind in my JJ watching but I just have to say I hope that the tape of Chicago "Special Ed" teacher who accused the single father of child abuse is turned over to the Chicago Board of Education and she is fired for her job for failure to report. She seemed special needs herself.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I absolutely loved Mr. Martin & Son. So refreshing from the parade of Minnesotans.

They do, however, illustrate a wise old saying: "Build a fence around the South and you'd have one gigantic madhouse."

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

The son (I guess the army will take anyone) and his blank-faced child bride were not nearly so entertaining.

If the Army Reserve will accept him, maybe he could join the regular Army (despite having to then drop out of refrigerator college or whatever "school" he's giving our hard-earned tax $$ to). The bennies are good and those two haven't got much of a future in Bugtussle or wherever the hell they are mooching an existence.

But...SEVEN-FUCKING-TEEN. And I'm not so sure that isn't her IQ as well. And, as usual, they're reproduced.

They do, however, illustrate a wise old saying: "Build a fence around the South and you'd have one gigantic madhouse."

"Dear South, if you'd like to secede again, we won't argue. Sincerely, the North"

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

If the Army Reserve will accept him, maybe he could join the regular Army

Maybe the Army can pound some of the lard off his ass and teach him about birth control even though it's kind of late for that what with him knocking up a teenager and all...

Maybe they can make a MAN out of him..yeah sure...

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Dad rent case: Yes, he was a hoot, with his homespun hillbilly homilies.

Eh, I thought it was amusing at first but since I have a self rightious parent who plays up the hee haw factor whenever they want to be the victim, I wasn't entirely buying his story of much put upon dad. His "aw shucks, I'm just dumber'n dirt, Judge Judy" manner made her laugh and ignore what he was saying. Namely he's a father calling out his son on national tv as a lazy slacker who can't be trusted and who he feels is also dumber'n dirt. Had his affect been hostile, Judge Judy very typically calls out a parent who maligns their kid over some rental money. But instead he just gets to go on.

I also got what the son was trying to say - he got paid a wage while at training so yes, he's going to have a task return to file because he *worked* for several months, but since he doesn't have another job, he's not likely to need to pay taxes. (and with a baby, thats probably why he was getting a hefty return). So looking at it another way, the son got a girl in trouble and did the right thing by marrying her, got himself into the army for some training and money for school and was going to school to be a medical assistant. There's no evidence that he was lying about being in school aside from Homespun Pappy saying he weren't in no school, and yeah, I can see why the 17 year old had her baby and didn't return to school until the next year. To me, it sounds like two young kids trying to make it, trying not to mooch but needing some help.

I mean, I'm not holding the son up for sainthood here, but each side has a story and the dad struck me as not being entirely innocent in the mess.

DoctorK

DoctorK

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Maybe they can make a MAN out of him..yeah sure...

It certainly doesn't work in all cases but I have watched dramatic changes in people I have known who have gone into the Army, starting as people like we see on these shows, and ten years later turned into real grownups, taking care of their children, excelling in leadership positions, becoming almost good enough people to meet JJ's standards.

caliborne

caliborne

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

I didn't care for that Dad either. Not that I thought the son was fabulous but I didn't believe the dad.