Judge Judy

• Please log in to reply

24905 replies to this topic

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2004 @ 2:44 PM

Younger people and timid folk may back down when Judge Judy gets all "I'm speaking!" on their ass, but her mess doesn't work with the numerous loudmouth pigeons and thugs that appear on her show. They get all "No, he di'nt!" and crap like that back and forth between each other, and she'll try her tactics on them, but you know they "ain't havin' it." Judge Mathis and Judge Hackett can handle those types better.

mini-mart

mini-mart

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 6:02 PM

JJ grates.

Last time I watched, ages ago, she chewed out a guy for being in piercing school. This had nothing to do with the case, she just yelled at him for training for something she didn't consider to be a worthwhile career.

It hurt my little punk soul and I had to stop watching.

monica53

monica53

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2004 @ 10:07 PM

Ok, this may be a long post:

First of all, I gave up on JJ a long time ago because she just makes me go ballistic. She is suck a witch, she usually begins the case with the outcome on the tip of her broom. But my TiVo recorded a couple of episodes so I watched.

JJ has not changed and neither have the litigants. I just saw a case in which a young 21 y.o was suing his friend for having been driving his brothers car after a party and totaling it. He explained to JJ that he was drunk so he asked his friend to drive his brother's car because he was too drunk to do so. His friend drives the car, falls asleep at the wheel and crashes. When the police comes to the scene of the crime the two friends in the car tell the police that the drunk friend was driving. As a result he gets arrested and charged with a dwi.

Later on, the friend goes back to the police and admits that he was lying and that in fact he was driving and fell asleep and that his drunk friend was not driving.

So now, drunk dude takes sleepy dude to court to sue him for damages due to his totaling his brother's car. So, drunk dude gives JJ police reports to read, all yellow highlighted and gives testimony. JJ doesn't believe that sleepy boy was driving. JJ reads the WHOLE police report saying that there were eye witnesses that saw drunk boy driving and that the hospital was able to document his driving the car based on the marks made by the car seat (from the driver's seat). So she dismisses the case. Drunk boy and his father are really pissed off!!!!Boo Hoo

As they were being interviewed outside the courtroom, sleepy boy say's "I never would have lied for him had I known he was going to sue me"!!!!!! Now, I ask you don't these stupid people know that people are watching and that the producers are mandated reporters? WTF ????

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2004 @ 8:58 AM

I can understand why many people have issues with Judge Judy. I, however, love her and never miss the show.

I don't expect her to rule to the letter of the law, but I find it refreshing that she uses her forum to call people on their stupidity. The squabbles in her courtroom are often ridiculous, petty claims that she knows, regardless of her ruling, will be paid off in the end by producers. She uses cases instead to make a point about people making bad decisions. Case in point:

My aggravation was the fact that Judge Judy seemed to dismiss the case less on merit than on sympathy for the widower. She asked the woman why she loaned the woman money and she said, ''Well because I am a gambler, too'' and her reply essentially was ''Well you gambled and lost this time'' or some such Shitty McNasty snipe.

Using one's common sense (assuming one has any), one wouldn't lend a friend with a known gambling addiction any money with any thought they'd ever see that cash back again. I think that was Judge Judy's point in ruling against the plaintiff. In an actual court, the woman who lent the money to her friend with the gambling addiction would have won. But this is JJ's courtroom where I believe the "lesson learned" here is supposed to be: use your brain, fool. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, I understand the JJ hate. I just don't feel it myself. Some of those people on her show are just such idiots, they deserve, even if they completely ignore her, to have some sense beaten into their tiny brains.

My favorite case: The woman who dumped soda all over the asshole guy's head who talked through a movie. Ah. Justice.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2004 @ 11:08 AM

That case rocked. I've been sorely tempted to pitch my Dr. Pepper at the fools who talk on their cell phones during the movie. I can forgive someone for forgetting to turn off their phone and running out the theater when it rings, but it really brings on the rage when they remain in their seats and jabber on about the movie to their asshat friend on the other end.

What stops me? Dr. Pepper is the necter of the gods and I'm not wasting a drop.

I've read both of JJ's books and I'm impressed with her. I love it when she tells people they shouldn't have more children than they can afford. And let's face it, anyone who agrees to go on her show knows what they are getting. If you've done something stupid, she's gonna yell at you. It's like going on Springer; something bad is going to happen.

ThreeCs

ThreeCs

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2004 @ 4:48 PM

My favorite case: The woman who dumped soda all over the asshole guy's head who talked through a movie. Ah. Justice.

OMG .. I LOVED that case. That asshat totally deserved what he got!!!

sears44

sears44

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 8:12 PM

I can understand why many people have issues with Judge Judy. I, however, love her and never miss the show.

Me too! Watching Judge Judy is like crack to me! (not that I know what crack taste/feels like but you get what I am saying).
I understand people's issues with Judy but I think people miss the point of her antics/attitude. Some people r just dumb that they have 2 be yelled at (like the rerun today with the man suing his female neighbor b/c her son and his friends vandalized 14 cars at 3 a.m. and the mother was SO clueless as to her son's guilt and Judy said something to the effect of: With you as their mother, your kids our hopeless! And she was absolutely right)

I don't remember the lady dumping soda all over the guy's head during a movie. But there have been many, many memorable episodes of this show so not remembering this one is not that bad. I especially enjoy the episodes where Judy tries to bring together feuding mothers/daughters and the ones where young kids are acting fools (drunk/drugs, etc.) and she lays on them.

Anyway, can someone refresh my memory about the dumping soda lady case?

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 8:39 PM

Dumping Soda Lady Case:

DSL was at the movies watching "Frida." Mr. Asshat walked in with his buddy during the opening credits (not the previews, mind you), sat down, and proceded to chat with his friend. DSL politely asked him to be quiet and Mr. Asshat said something to the effect of "Leave off, bitch" at which point DSL, well, dumped her soda on his bald head.

Mr. Asshat was suing DSL for $3000 for a "chemical burn" to his eye and pain and suffering because he supposedly sprained his back when he lept out of his seat. JJ laughed her ass off and ordered DSL to pay Mr. Asshat $200.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 11:00 AM

Has anyone seen the Terminator-like promos for JJ's show? It really freaks me out when she leaps in the air and then slams her hand down on the ground.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 11:30 AM

Has anyone seen the Terminator-like promos for JJ's show? It really freaks me out when she leaps in the air and then slams her hand down on the ground.

That is too fabulous for words! JJ leaping in the air?! I hope that's a CGI effect.

Sadly, though, haven't seen them, but will be waiting with great anticipation!

lila

lila

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 6:16 PM

I am so happy to see this topic bumped up. I must confess to being a JJ addict. I often hope that when she jumps to conclusions that some edits have been made to the episode, but setting that aside, for pure entertainment value, I love this show. I also love Byrd.

My favorite recent (repeat) was the case of the woman who struck a black calf at 5AM on a road with no lights going 50mph (the speed limit). The cow owner and his wife were very much of the opinion that (1) they shouldn't be responsible for her car damage and (2) she really owed them for the cow since that was meat off their table. I really enjoy watching some people's justifications - in this case, the cow owner didn't think it was at all his fault that his cow was in the middle of the road where it shouldn't be.

I also don't understand why many litigants appearing on the show violate the Golden Rule of JJ: always bring your receipts!

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 7:19 PM

It is a freaky CGI effect, Major Misfit. She also has a bionic eye that glares at you at the very end of the spot. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

That's a good one, lila. That couple was just so strange. I couldn't believe they said a cow can't dart out into the road because it doesn't move fast enough. They've obviously never seen a calf running from a coyote before or towards the feeding trough.

Sloth on Speed

Sloth on Speed

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 6:39 PM

I also don't understand why many litigants appearing on the show violate the Golden Rule of JJ: always bring your receipts!

You can't bring the receipts if you don't have them. (as in: you never had them, because you're making the whole thing up)

I'm always astonished at how many famewhores go on this show, when they must know that JJ is going to tear them to shreds. I can kinda, sorta understand a defendant taking the "opportunity," because at least some of the money will be paid by the show if they lose, but the litigant essentially goes on for no reason except to air their beef. Are they all so deluded that they think no one will notice those ginormous holes in their story?

Today's broadcast had a set of twins from the Boston area (where I live). The litigant had receipts (for a change), and had previously shown them to her twin sister, from whom she wanted ~$300. You'd think that in the face of irrefutable evidence, the defendant would have paid up, and not made herself look like an ass on television. Of course, JJ had to bring up the fact that the woman had a nine year old child without ever being married. Then JJ ranted at the woman and her boyfriend, who couldn't quite recall the name of the twin who was his "baby's mama."

The other twin wasn't a lot better - whoever told her that "He be Incarcerated" is a classier term than "in jail" was lying. I'd greatly prefer "He's in the service of the Commonwealth at this moment," myself.

Folks, we're not all like that! I've lived her all my life, and I cannot figure out under which rock the producers found these two gems.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

Wow... the defendant in the "I bought her rings cause she said she loved me, but she broke up with me!" case was really working those bangs! Damn, they looked bigger than her head!

Baby's daddy looked pretty bad when he had to think about who his baby's momma is, Sloth on Speed. The thing about the case that had me scratching my head was that the cell phone company kept the records of the written-off account for so long. When I worked collections at a cell phone company, we never had access to w/o accounts that old. They didn't even show up in our computer records.

Come to think of it, the plaintiff should be disputing the account with the credit bureaus. They're supposed to remove non-bankruptcy related "bad" information after 7 years. It shouldn't even be on her credit report.

lila

lila

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 9:12 PM

Wow... the defendant in the "I bought her rings cause she said she loved me, but she broke up with me!" case was really working those bangs! Damn, they looked bigger than her head!

I thought the defendant looked like she was 12. When JJ asked her what kind of student she was, I really expected her say middle/high school!

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2004 @ 9:13 AM

Well, when you work the bangs, you get to keep your promisary (sp?) ring! I mean, seriously, didn't that guy ever watch JJ before consenting to appear on the program? Or did he just want to see She-Bangs one more time?

ETA: And dammit, SnowDog! I've yet to see the Terminator spots! Bionic EYE?! I laugh even thinking about that!

Edited to say: today's episode was ranks among my favorite JJ verbal beat downs. The princess daughter of a retired cop who filed a false complaint against a cop who pulled her over for speeding? Classic. What a clueless, overly entitled jerk. Her father? Not much better. Loved that the cop who took her to court had a tape recording of their entire conversation proving everything that came out of her mouth to JJ was a lie. Hee hee. I love idiots.

Edited by Major Misfit, Aug 3, 2004 @ 4:53 PM.

whyohwhy

whyohwhy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2004 @ 8:32 PM

today's episode was ranks among my favorite JJ verbal beat downs. The princess daughter of a retired cop who filed a false complaint against a cop who pulled her over for speeding? Classic. What a clueless, overly entitled jerk. Her father? Not much better. Loved that the cop who took her to court had a tape recording of their entire conversation proving everything that came out of her mouth to JJ was a lie. Hee hee. I love idiots.

Best. Episode. Ever!
I have never seen anyone so dense in my entire life.

BML1980

BML1980

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2004 @ 12:47 AM

Best. Episode. Ever!
I have never seen anyone so dense in my entire life.

And with such annoying hair. Seriously, I've seen this one twice and I still don't get it. If you're going to do the blond thing, take it down a few shades. I thought I was going to go blind for a few seconds.

But yeah, definitely one of the best beat downs ever. To sum it up in two words: Bitch, please.

Baralai

Baralai

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2004 @ 2:01 AM

today's episode was ranks among my favorite JJ verbal beat downs. The princess daughter of a retired cop who filed a false complaint against a cop who pulled her over for speeding? Classic. What a clueless, overly entitled jerk. Her father? Not much better. Loved that the cop who took her to court had a tape recording of their entire conversation proving everything that came out of her mouth to JJ was a lie. Hee hee. I love idio

Ah yes. This is one of those episodes where I just love JJ. However, I don't usually watch her because she does tend to anger me sometimes.

Who won that cow case?

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2004 @ 6:49 AM

Who won that cow case?

The cow plower-downer.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2004 @ 7:53 PM

Word about the hair on the clueless speeder. Who does she think she is, Storm?

canadiantyler20

canadiantyler20

Posted Aug 5, 2004 @ 9:40 PM

It is a freaky CGI effect, Major Misfit. She also has a bionic eye that glares at you at the very end of the spot. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Yeah, that commercial is just plain freaky. I think that's the same one where she says something along the lines of "try doing that in high heels" which at the time I interpreted to be a jab at The People's Court as Judge Milian is known to wear high heels with her judge's gown.

BML1980

BML1980

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 12:34 AM

Although I love JJ, that Terminator/Matrix-ish commercial is beyond all logical rhyme and reason. Every time I see it I convince myself someone has slipped acid into my morning coffee and its simply a hallucination.
It makes me giggle like a little schoolgirl though, so I give them credit for that.
If anyone finds it online, you have to post it here, I'll love you forever.
I've told so many friends about the commercial, but none have ever seen it and are convinced I'm insane.

ETA: Well I couldn't find a video of the commercial but through my searching I did find this: Judge Judy Soundboard. Hee! Have fun.

Edited by BML1980, Aug 6, 2004 @ 12:49 AM.

only1kcm

only1kcm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 12:53 AM

Count me in on the JJ love. And bless you guys for this thread!

Myself, I think she makes sense 99% of the time. My guess is that she's read all the documentation thoroughly beforehand, so the before-camera time is just dog-and-pony. Lots of times she's spent time asking both sides questions, only to say that it's a relatively simple case and based on the law blah blah blah.

today's episode was ranks among my favorite JJ verbal beat downs. The princess daughter of a retired cop who filed a false complaint against a cop who pulled her over for speeding? Classic. What a clueless, overly entitled jerk. Her father? Not much better. Loved that the cop who took her to court had a tape recording of their entire conversation proving everything that came out of her mouth to JJ was a lie. Hee hee. I love idiots.

Best. Episode. Ever!

Oh yes indeedy, whyohwhy! This one has been TiVo'd and will be saved for quite some time...

And hee! about looking like Storm, Snowdog!!

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 4:51 AM

Word about the hair on the clueless speeder. Who does she think she is, Storm?

OMG. BWAH!

Although I love JJ, that Terminator/Matrix-ish commercial is beyond all logical rhyme and reason.

If anyone finds it online, you have to post it here, I'll love you forever.

Seriously, I'll add to the eternal flame of love if someone can find this ad online. I cannot believe I've yet to see this...guess I just need to grin and bear it and watch more Fox (who carries JJ) daytime programming.

My guess is that she's read all the documentation thoroughly beforehand, so the before-camera time is just dog-and-pony.

ITA. There are some cases where you can just tell based on her line of questioning that she knows who's full of crap and who isn't.

I wonder if in the case of Storm vs. the Cop or yesterday's case featuring the emotionally stunted 30+ year old divorced dad who married the 19-year old, that these people look back on their experience and see what kind of morons they sounded like trying to plead their unwinnable cases. Or if they are just lost to the abyss of cluelessness?

Edited by Major Misfit, Aug 6, 2004 @ 4:52 AM.

parsleysage

parsleysage

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 7:48 AM

I am de-lurking on this thread to get some info. I tape JJ each day and have my own weekend marathon. One thing I always wanted to know--if litigants go on this show, does the show pay whatever the fine-settlement is out of their own pocket? I always figured that to be true, or else why would someone go thru the humilitation.

Another question--how do they get the "contestants" for this show--do they comb the LA court roster and approach people with interesting cases? And #3--why do they show photos of NYC in the beginning--hasn't this show always been in LA??

Help someone out there!

sears44

sears44

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 9:34 PM

I am de-lurking on this thread to get some info. I tape JJ each day and have my own weekend marathon. One thing I always wanted to know--if litigants go on this show, does the show pay whatever the fine-settlement is out of their own pocket? I always figured that to be true, or else why would someone go thru the humilitation.

The show or production company pays the awards for the litigants.

how do they get the "contestants" for this show--do they comb the LA court roster and approach people with interesting cases?

Firstly, they are not contestants, these are real people with real issues. To get on the show, you have to file a complaint on their website or call them and go through the procedure.

And #3--why do they show photos of NYC in the beginning--hasn't this show always been in LA??

Judy is from New York. She lives there and if I recall travels to L.A. twice a week to record the show then flies back to N.Y. The shots of N.Y.? Got me on that.

Zivra

Zivra

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 11:09 PM

The show or production company pays the awards for the litigants.

I don't remember if it was for JJ or for some other court show, but I do remember hearing a closing credits disclaimer where it was mentioned that participants were paid for their appearances and that judgements were deducted from that fee. I like this- it gives them some consequences.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 11:31 PM

Ew ew ew... those photos of the trashed apartment were just nasty. And I know apartment nasty!

The case involving the mother who left her kids in the car gave me chills. Anything could've happened to those children. She's lucky the only thing that happened was a minor car crash.

only1kcm

only1kcm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 11:53 PM

What I want to know is how can you sit in on a taping?? I'd love to be there for a verbal smackdown or two.

What always gets me is how clueless people can be!! JJ can explain things over and over and they still, at the end, whine and complain and fail to grasp the concept. Gahhh!!!!