21 Jump Street

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

103 replies to this topic

kunju

kunju

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2004 @ 11:23 PM

I agree that Judy didn't get as much "cop time" as Hanson and Penhall, but neither did her partner, Ioki. But despite her background status, I never got the feeling that there was any hint of "Hoffs is a girl, and weaker." I thought they made it clear that she was a good cop, especially with her stellar score on the exam.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2004 @ 4:50 PM

I, too loved 21 Jump Street! I was in love with Dustin Nguyen, so I wouldn't miss an episode.

Also, there's a wonderful episode where they are assigned to protect a high school birth control center, and Judy ends up admitting that she had an abortion. Holly Robinson did very well in that episode.

That one is my all time favorite, too! I wuold totally buy the DVDs when they come out.

I see that I have to check out channel 48 now!!!

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2004 @ 6:45 PM

According to a recent entry in The Rumor Mill over at thedigitalbits, it looks like Anchor Bay may be putting out Greatest American Hero on dvd in 2005. So of the Cannell productions so far that makes:
Wiseguy - distributed by Ventura
A-Team - distributed by Universal
Baa Baa Black Sheep - Universal release likely (implied in a newsitem over at tvshowsondvd, can't find it to link to now)

I know that there are bidding wars going on over some of the other Cannell shows (hell, until read the Rumor Mill post, I thought the company I work for might still have a shot at GAH. would have been a fun show to work on, dammit) so I think Jump Street must still be in negotiation.

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 5:01 PM

Requoting myself:

My only qualm (there is almost always a qualm with me) is that Holly Robinson's character was "too soft." I never got in those cop shows that the females were always weaker, used as decoys, etc. There are female cops that can kick all sorts of ass, IRL. Judy could talk tough, but she couldn't defend herself physically. (I remember the ep where she and Harry went undercover in a civilian patrol group, and the issue was brought up about how she was defenseless unarmed. And also, the one where Tom gets stuck in a mental institution, and she and Det. Fuller go to find him...and they were going to split up and search, but she got scared and they ended up having to stay together.) Heck, I don't remember her even taking down a female baddie!

Quoting a previous poster:

But despite her background status, I never got the feeling that there was any hint of "Hoffs is a girl, and weaker."

Whoa...I never said that she was a "weak" or a bad cop. Judy was smart and knew the drill and could hang with the boys, I was just saying that she wasn't physically strong, a stereotype that is constantly used of women in many shows. I hate that many women in these shows are used as decoys, are constantly unarmed, but don't have the strength to defend themselves in a sticky situation (leaving them to get physically harmed if backup doesn't come in time). Remembering Honor Blackman in "The Avengers," she stated that she didn't know how to fight, but learned basic judo (and she ended up co-writing a book on such). I would think that female cops would know some basic self-defense in case they were unarmed and alone. Not knocking Judy/Holly Robinson at all. I think she's cool.

Slightly off-topic...Holly is good in all the shows she's been in, but I couldn't STAND HER as Vanessa on "Hangin' With Mr. Cooper!" Phony! But that's for a whole 'nother thread!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:26 AM

tvshowsondvd is now reporting that 21 Jump Street will be released by Anchor Bay this September - woo hoo! Apparently this was reported in Video Business, an "industry insider trade magazine." You can read about it here.

Other shows/release dates mentioned were Silk Stalkings (early October 2004) and The Greatest American Hero, The Commish, Hunter, and The Renegade (all tentatively listed with late 2004/early 2005 release dates).

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 6:46 PM

Yay for Jump Street dvds! I like what Anchor Bay's done with Highlander, so I hope that Cannell & co. have some extra footage/outtakes and whatnot to throw in there. At the very least, I think we can expect some kind of retrospective featurette.

Mostly I am just giddy with thought of finally getting to see the show again after 20 years!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2004 @ 3:59 AM

tvshowsondvd.com just posted the official press release here. Apparently the release dates are a little different. Silk Stalkings is scheduled for September 28, and the release date for 21 Jump Street will be in October.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Jun 11, 2004 @ 4:01 AM.

Cathode Tube

Cathode Tube

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2004 @ 3:08 AM

21 Jump Street redux for '05? But how is Facinelli going to get shirtless if he's the boss? And how is this new show going to be any good? But I do like to see someone on TV (besides the teachers on Boston Public) stem the tide of crime in high school.

Pronger44

Pronger44

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

I just got my Amazon.com pre-order notice today for 21 Jump Street-Season One. Yay! Goodbye, crappy old taped copies...Hello, shiny new DVD's! It listed October 26 as the release date. Does anyone know if Season One had the full 22 eps? I really can't remember.

On a slightly different note, I found a mix CD over the weekend that I made a few years ago, and I must have been in a weird mood, because the CD starts off with the theme from Pinky and the Brain, then there is some Garth, some Aerosmith, some pop stuff and the last song is the theme from 21 Jump Street. I forgot that I had made it. Very strange that I listen to it just a few days before the DVD news. Maybe I'm psychic?

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 6:48 PM

Does anyone know if Season One had the full 22 eps? I really can't remember.

21 Jump Street was a mid-season replacement so Season One has only 13 episodes. Consequently, this was a time when mid-season replacement really meant mid-season, the show debuted in April '87 and ran through June '87 the first year. Just a little trivia for all you Jump Street fans.

kunju

kunju

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 6:58 PM

I can't get zap2it to work today, but I found this listing of season 1 eps:

(1) 21 Jump Street
(2) 21 Jump Street
(3) America, What a Town
(4) Don't Pet the Teacher
(5) My Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
(6) The Worst Night of Your Life
(7) Gotta Finish the Riff
(8) Bad Influence
(9) Blindsided
(10) Next Generation
(11) Low and Away
(12) 16 Blown to 35
(13) Mean Streets and Pastel Houses

kunju

kunju

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

Today's ep was my very favorite: "Hell Week." I think this one is outstanding on every level. It was one of the few times when all of the cops were working on the same case, and they hit it hard from every angle. I also think the casting for this ep was inspired, cartoonish as the lead nerd was. And it's one of the very few times I actually liked Booker. And the teaser was just chilling: it starts out like a 90210 episode, all loud music and wild parties on a college campus, and just at the end Hanson says to Booker: "we're on a rape case."

Plus, Johnny Depp at (arguably) his hottest.

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2004 @ 9:12 AM

DVD Cover art is up!

So wonderfully 80's; the big hair, the neon. Cannot wait to see this show again!

Daisy Duke

Daisy Duke

Posted Aug 26, 2004 @ 9:13 PM

and the issue was brought up about how she was defenseless unarmed.

I found that easy to believe. I've taken a lot of karate and judo and kickboxing, and it's still a lot about reach (I'm small) and weight (Holly's, if anything, much lighter than me.) They could have made her tougher without making her able to do a huge amount barehanded.

The real issue is, she should have had an in-the-pants holster or an ankle holster with a compact pocket pistol in it. I know a lot of cops who carry more than one gun just so they can have a little one hidden on their person.

I agree that I wish they'd given her a little more edge.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Sep 20, 2004 @ 9:22 PM

It's been a while since I've done this, but today's episode was so bizarre, I had to comment on it. Also Shannen Doherty was a guest star, so right there you know you have to watch.

This was a fourth season episode called "Things We Said Today".
It started off normally, Ioki was pulling into a gas station when the attendant jumped into his car and pulled out a gun. He said Ioki had ruined his life back when he was in high school.
Following the credits there was a flashback to January 28, 1986 where Ioki was undercover trying to get Shannen Doherty's character to get him some drugs, since she herself was a coke addict. Mind you this is all happening at a school assembly where the student body has assembled to watch the Challenger lift off. Also there is Keith Coogan, one of Elisabeth Shue's charges from Adventures in Babysitting, playing SD's sister. Well the Challenger accident occurs and this upsets Harry deeply.
We then flash over to the Jump Street Chapel where Captain Fuller appears to have just taken charge following Captain Jenco's death. However, Captain Jenco died in 1987, but I guess the writers figured we don't really care. Fuller wants Harry to bust SD and do it soon.
Back at school Keith Coogan listens to a "Just Say No" lecture and then converses with Ioki who encourages him to turn his whole drug addeled family in. And that he does. Following this Keith's life falls apart as he and SD are taken away from their parents and she blames him for everything despite the fact that she herself is a coke whore.
Ioki himself also has relationship problems as the Challenger explosion causes him to flashback to his experiences in Vietnam and make him a really nutty boyfriend to his girlfriend. This also inspires a very odd dream sequence which in part is just recycled footage from a second season episode, the only difference seems to be that in his dream Ioki's girlfriend dies as well.
At this point we are now back in the present where Keith is holding the gun on Harry. Ioki gets it away, and arrests Keith. Keith blames Ioki for all his failings in life because Ioki told him to turn his parents in. Ioki feels guilty, so he tries to find Keith's family to help him out. Turn's out Shannen is now incredibly religious and wants to pray for Keith's soul rather than help him, and their parents also refuse to help Keith because they are still in jail.
Ioki tries to help Keith but eventually realizes with the help of his old girlfriend, who he has been stalking after seeing Keith again, that what happened to Keith is not his fault.
A strange episode just because the message of it seemed to be that if your parents are drug addicts and you turn them in, it will only ruin your life, so better not to do anything. Also, it was fun watching SD play a highly religious coke whore.

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2004 @ 8:04 PM

So, has anyone else picked up the season 1 dvd set? Mine arrived in the mail today, and I'm five minutes in on watching the pilot, but feel the need to pause to gripe a little.

First off, the audio/video quality is sub-par. Maybe the masters were in really bad condition, but I feel like I'm watching someone's old vhs tape instead of a dvd. Second, it looks like they may have used the syndication masters instead of the originals--the pilot is split into two episodes, when according to tv-tome both parts premiered on April 12, 1987. And in the first scene, there's a loop line, with "I just think the clarinet _stinks_" dubbed over "I just think the clarinet _sucks_." Is anyone enough of a Jump Street fanatic to know if that's the way it aired in the first place? There may be music replacement too.

Way to go Cannell. I guess he doesn't care whether the distributor does a lousy job, so long as the advance is big. Sheesh. If I wanted to watch butchered, muddy-sounding, hazy-looking episodes, I could get them off of E-bay. grrrr.

kunju

kunju

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2004 @ 12:47 AM

Certain words are dubbed over with euphemisms, but that's really the only complaint I have with the DVDs. I liked the interviews with Steven, Dustin, and Holly (Cannell's was a little boring), and Peter's commentary on "Gotta Finish the Riff" was self-deprecating, informative, and not too rambling. Both Peter and Steven mentioned that the Jenko-to-Fuller shift was made because FF was unaccustomed to the work schedule of an hourlong weekly drama (he was a film actor) and that as a result the words he was given on the page didn't always make it to the screen.

Plus, I learned that Steven Williams has a .22 caliber bullet lodged permanently in his sternum. And that Holly's mom (an agent) told her not to have an office romance with any of her costars and she listened to her mom. And that Holly's nickname for Dustin was "Comfort." It sounds like the on-screen pairings (Hanson & Penhall, Hoffs & Ioki) matched the off-screen dynamics.

However, I still cannot bring myself to watch the final scene of the pilot, in which Hanson whips out his saxophone. It's just too embarrassing.

Plus: Season 2 DVDs!

Edited by kunju, Dec 27, 2004 @ 10:13 AM.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2004 @ 6:13 PM

I scored this one for Christmas and have watched the first three episodes. Apart from the distorting audio driving me CRAZY I really enjoyed the little blast from the past. 80s style aside, the series has held up really well. So often when I re-visit a show that I loved in my teen years I'm really disappointed to find that it was actually a bunch of crap and I end up watching it purely for nastalgia. Not the case with Jump Street. I'm actually really enjoying the show. Great news on the Season 2 release.

mathteacher

mathteacher

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2004 @ 12:07 PM

I got the DVDs for Christmas, and I remember why I loved the show so much while it was on. I love the diversity in the cast, the erlationships that the chracters had, and the skin tight jeans that Johnny Depp wore. (Sue me, I'm shallow like that.)

The one thing that is bugging me is the theme song. I guess I am remembering a version from later seasons or something because the lyrics are slightly altered from what I remember. Does anyone know when they changed the song?

piglet2

piglet2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 30, 2004 @ 2:10 PM

In terms of the theme song, IIRC, they took out the two little chanting parts for the later seasons ("you're gonna learn something when we meet you after school" and "you'd better be ready cuz you're running out of time" or whatever).

I also got the DVDs for Christmas and am disappointed that the background music was changed. The songs they've put in are awful. But hey, I could just hit the mute button and stare at Johnny Depp all day and not care too much.

The funniest thing was that after I opened the gift my dad commented that back in the 80s he wasn't thrilled with me watching the show because he didn't think it was appropriate and he hated the life-size Johnny Depp poster I had on my bedroom door. But now, almost 20 years later Depp is his favorite actor. Who would have believed it?

Walter

Walter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 1:40 PM

OK, so no one's posted her in a long time and I realize it's pretty likely no one will be able to answer my question, but here goes: Are the episodes on the DVDs actually edited for *length*? I know the songs were changed and some of the "swear" words were dubbed out, but I can't imagine why they'd actually cut out whole scenes.

I ask because in a season 2 episode, I think it's "After School Special," we see a very short scene toward the beginning where the guys are preparing to race hamsters (maybe _ I'm not good with furry little creatures). It was one of those silly D-plots they'd throw in sometimes. Anyway, I totally remembered the hamster-racing from when I watched the original run of the show, plus there's a clip of it in the opening credits. But in that episode, they never show us anything other than the very brief scene as they're preparing to race. I'm positive there should be at least one more hamster-racing scene, where Johnny Depp has the binoculars, but I didn't see it.

Am I crazy? Or was it edited out? Anyone know? And have they cut anything else from other episodes? Because that's just lame.

aquamis

aquamis

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2005 @ 6:12 AM

Hmmm. Unsure about that one, but wouldn't be suprised if they did chop a bit. Which makes me very angry. Nothing involving Johnny should be thrown away. Anyone know if they plan to release Season 4?

mishy

mishy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2005 @ 8:21 AM

According to tvshowsondvd.com Season 4 is supposed to be released on November 1st with that date subject to change.

Restingviolet

Restingviolet

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2005 @ 3:13 PM

I got S1 for my birthday and loved it to pieces, I got S2 recently and can't wait to watch it, it is such a part of my young teen years that it is a real treat to watch (I heart Johnny Depp)

NP33

NP33

Posted Aug 25, 2005 @ 3:22 PM

Is this show ever coming back to television?

PippinsApple

PippinsApple

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2005 @ 8:47 AM

They'd better release Season 5!! Gotta have my Joey Penhall (Michael DeLuise) fix.

PippinsApple

PippinsApple

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2005 @ 9:23 AM

I also got the DVDs for Christmas and am disappointed that the background music was changed. The songs they've put in are awful.

Just got season 3, and they did the same with this one *argh*. This was one show where they should have come up with the extra licensing fees for the real music. Damn it.

eta: please note date - not a double post, just not many posts on this board.

Edited by PippinsApple, Sep 14, 2005 @ 9:25 AM.

bigmonster

bigmonster

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2005 @ 11:25 AM

I haven't noticed the music being stripped, but I have TOTALLY noticed that this is a lot more sophisticated than I remember it being. And a lot more sophisticated than any other Cannell show that I ever saw.

I just finished season one. Damn, Holly Robinson is hot.

Edited by bigmonster, Sep 14, 2005 @ 11:26 AM.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2005 @ 9:03 PM

Look who made awfulplasticsurgery.com!

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 8:22 PM

A tv station in Houston is currently running reruns of the show and I'm as hooked as I was during its original run. I blamed the bad film quality on the station, but it seems like its just the show.

Also it has to be noted that the acting isn't very good. In the early seasons, I felt like I was watching an episode of Degrassi Junior High/High, which had an excuse for the bad acting. At least on Jumpstreet you can see the progress that the actors make as the seasons progress.

Johnny Depp gets more beautiful with each episode as well.