Behind the Music

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

282 replies to this topic

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2005 @ 4:03 PM

Did Bobby Brown have a stoke? His lip was all droopy.

That was a great BHM! I loved New Edition like nothing else. Can You Stand the Rain will always hold a special place in my heart.

Toomanyblondes

Toomanyblondes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2005 @ 7:03 PM

And Bobby Brown is the Pope.

Habemus crack!

Hee! Shouldn't it be "crackem", though?

That was a fanfuckingtastic BTM. I was all SQUEEEEE!!! Ralph! Johnny! Mike!

Oh no! Bobby! I actually have to say I felt more empathy for him than I ever have, but he is just batshit. I think that mouth problem is because he keeps the pipe on that one side.

canneuro

canneuro

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2005 @ 10:21 PM

That was one of BHM's EVER... Everybody participated and seemed genuinely honest. I'm sort of surprised that Bobby Brown agreed to BHM, since he caused so many problems in the group. The bad ass usually declines to interview. Bobby's droopy lip and receeding hairline with a bad hair cut make him look terrible.

I didn't realize the Johnny Gill was so "flamboyant." My gaydar went off the scale!

Habemus crack!

Priceless!!!!

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2005 @ 10:25 PM

Btw, I don't buy Maurice Starr's line one bit. I'm pretty sure he took their money.

Hell yeah, he took it! That's where Lou Perlman learned how to dupe Backstreet and NSync.

I am shocked at the extent, though, to which those boys were screwed. A BTM box set should be made available to every artist right before he/she signs a contract. An 18 year contract? A $1.87 check? Wow.

Not a mention of either Boyz II Men (and where are they, by the way) or Another Bad Creation on the part of Bivins. But I am glad that they didn't turn this into a quasi-special focused on Bobby Brown at the expense of everyone else. To think that Ralph was upset with Johnny joining the group - Johnny totally brought the group into adulthood.

All the talk about Johnny, but did Ralph cause any pings? I'm just saying.

Bobby Brown - eek! He's totally the guy that Leon would play in the NE TV movie (of course, it would require time travel).

Cherry Delight

Cherry Delight

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 6:15 PM

Everybody participated and seemed genuinely honest.

Ronnie Devoe wasn't interviewed.

Bobby Brown really looked like crap and he was obviously strung out. But at least he admitted he was an ass on the New Edition reunion tour.

I know it's kind of cruel, but I thought the $1.87 check story was hilarious because it sounded like something you'd make up for a comedy sketch. Too bad it was true.

I think this "Behind the Music" episode holds the record for the most curse words bleeped out.

KeepinItReal

KeepinItReal

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 2:26 AM

Bobby Brown - eek! He's totally the guy that Leon would play in the NE TV movie (of course, it would require time travel).

For real! Leon always plays some down on his luck has-been...but I actually thought of Eddie Cane, Jr. in the Robert Townsend movie The Five Heartbeats watching Bobby speak. I just kept hearing "Nights like this I wish...that raindrops would faaaalllll!" I think he might have had a mini-stroke and didn't even realize it. His mouth is 17 different kinds of fucked up.

Other observations...
- Where was Ronnie? My guess... http://thedevoeteam.com. Also, Ronnie is engaged to Shamari Fears from the R&B group Blaque. Funny thing, she's my age I think (25) and probably grew up listening to his music.
- I think I have feelings for Michael Bivins now. He had such a great outlook on the situation, so many funny comments, and his personality just seemed sexy as all get out!
- Johnny Gill is flaming hot cheetos gay. I knew about him and Arsenio, as my dad was a sports and entertainment agent when I was growing up, but the fact that he's coming out with it (albeit inching) is nice. When he did that bit at the end about being grown men and "we need to accept that" with that little affection, I almost died.
- Ralph is sexy, but appeared the most bitter about their contract situation.
- Ricky Bell seems very nice and good natured.

Habemus crack!

That is the best!

True Dat

True Dat

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 8:38 AM

Hell naw! Not Ralphie baby. He just had a big wedding last year(?) and he's got a couple of kids. I think I saw the photos in Essence, or Ebony or People in one of those celebrity weddings wrap-ups.

- Johnny Gill is flaming hot cheetos gay. I knew about him and Arsenio, as my dad was a sports and entertainment agent when I was growing up, but the fact that he's coming out with it (albeit inching) is nice. When he did that bit at the end about being grown men and "we need to accept that" with that little affection, I almost died.

Bwahhhh. Ohmigawd, I can't breathe. Johnny even "dated" Janet Jackson for a while, pre-Rene Elizondo.

I think I have feelings for Michael Bivins now. He had such a great outlook on the situation, so many funny comments, and his personality just seemed sexy as all get out!

Feelin' ya. In an utter coincidence, I decided to give GTA: San Andreas a try this weekend. Surprise, surprise that Michael Bivins is the voice of the DJ on the station that plays some New Edition/BBD/Boyz 2 Men tunes.

Michael may be the second most successful member of the group, given all of the outside producing and other endeavors.

Edited by True Dat, May 2, 2005 @ 8:52 AM.

jennypenny

jennypenny

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 9:08 AM

So I'm sitting hear listening to NE's Home Again and NE Heartbreak cd's on Rhapsody and am so excited. They are touring with Brian McKnight and Gerald LeVert I believe and I am so there.

I am also officially in love with Michael Bivins. His commentary on New Kids on the Block was hilarious! "They had doll babies and t-shirts - where was ours at?" or his comments about Bobby "Bobby was all, come look at my abs, fell the gel in my hair" I about died.

I didn't catch the first viewing so I heard about how flaming Johnny Gill was before I saw him and I didn't really believe it because, ya know, people can exaggerate sometimes. Um, nooooope, they didn't. Woo.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 9:12 AM

For real! Leon always plays some down on his luck has-been...but I actually thought of Eddie Cane, Jr. in the Robert Townsend movie The Five Heartbeats watching Bobby speak. I just kept hearing "Nights like this I wish...that raindrops would faaaalllll!"

KeepinItReal, you are in my brain. I was just going to type that until I read your post. I can totally see that guy who played that drugged-out member of The Five Heartbeats as Bobby. Leon could probably pull off Ralph. An anthropomorphized fish could be cast as Ronnie. (Was he a Fetal Acohol baby or something? Just asking.)

Johnny? I think he's been flirting with the outside of the closet for years, even back in the Lattisaw duet days. Don't know if he's come screaming out of it yet like T.E.V.I.N., but it almost looks that way.

Ricky always seemed like the only relaxed and level-headed (no pun intended) one of the group.

Did Ralph recently have some oral surgery or something? What was up with the Godfather-like puffy cheeks?

Even though I think he went on to have the most solo success of the bunch, it's amazing that Bobby now looks like a straight-up crack addict bum on the street. So sad. I do wonder who won the fight between he and Ronnie, though.

Off to listen to NE's Greatest Hits.

KeepinItReal

KeepinItReal

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 9:45 AM

I am also officially in love with Michael Bivins. His commentary on New Kids on the Block was hilarious! "They had doll babies and t-shirts - where was ours at?" or his comments about Bobby "Bobby was all, come look at my abs, fell the gel in my hair" I about died.

YES! And my personal favorite, when talking about BBD..."They liked us better when we were obnoxious and risque. 'Oh I love BBD!' 'You do? You like getting your ass smacked?"

Love Michael Bivins!

Classic

Classic

Couch Potato

• Interests:That's none of your damn business and I'd appreciate it if you stayed out of my personal affairs.

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 12:16 PM

but I actually thought of Eddie Cane, Jr. in the Robert Townsend movie The Five Heartbeats watching Bobby speak.

I was thinking about the NE-Five Heartbeats connection too. I guess Johnny would be Flash who also had my gaydar going batshit in the movie.

Poor Eddie, er, Bobby.

kidcore

kidcore

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 12:26 PM

Bobby's droopy lip and receeding hairline with a bad hair cut make him look terrible.

Oh and can we talk about that s-curl? Step away from the texturizer Bobby. Just let it go brah. Let it go. You'd figure someone who spends so much time around an open flame wouldn't want that many chemicals in their hair anyway. That's a fire hazard just waiting to happen. But I won't even front. Tenderoni-era Bobby was the star of many a pre-teen fantasy in my head. Even Humpin' Around-era Bobby was still the stuff of fangirl crushes back in the day.

When he did that bit at the end about being grown men and "we need to accept that" with that little affection, I almost died.

Yes! I noticed that too. Love that coded language. Go 'head Johnny! Taking your sweet precious time inching out of that closet. I'm not mad at you boo. Looking at his old videos though I can't believe I never picked up on the obviously gay vibe. Then again my gaydar didn't really kick in until about the middle of high school. Still can't believe the story about him and Arsenio. Phasers set to stunned.

I'd forgotten how crazy his hair used to look back then too. Bobby wasn't the only one taking the Gumby to strange new places. I swear in that "Rub You the Right Way" video Johnny was sporting a tri-level 'do that looked like it came from the Frank Lloyd Wright collection. And all of them were in need of hair makeovers as little kids. Did they not have barbers in Boston in the early 80s? Or orthodontists? And what was that video they were showing during the end credits?

I'm really surprised too there was absolutely no mention of Michael Bivins' musical empire. For a while there he really was like a proto-Puff Daddy churning out groups left and right. Boyz II Men were the only ones that went anywhere. But who among us can forget MC Brains of "Oochie Coochie" fame or Fruit Punch who didn't get out much. RIP East Coast Family.

'You do? You like getting your ass smacked?"

Was I only the one who watched that scene and said "Yes Mr. Bivins, sir. Yes I do." Smack it up, flip it, rub it down oh yes!

Edited by kidcore, May 2, 2005 @ 12:26 PM.

True Dat

True Dat

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 8:10 AM

Was I only the one who watched that scene and said "Yes Mr. Bivins, sir. Yes I do." Smack it up, flip it, rub it down oh yes!

[tiny voice] No you weren't.[/tiny voice]

NE is playing two dates at DAR Constitution Hall in DC in June with Brian McKnight and Raheen DeVaughn (?). Boy do I wanna go.

PorkFat

PorkFat

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 1:08 PM

The talk about Ralph pinging the gaydar is funny to me. I had such a crush on him when Sensitivity came out, and my cousin used to tease me and say "Look at him! He's so gaaay!" Used to break my little pre-teen heart!

He never said that about Johnny, though. He was my other New Edition Crush. I guess his gaydar wasn't working so well!

Reserve my tickets for the Micheal love-train. He's seems so funny and good-natured.

Hope this isn't too O/T, but New Edition is coming to my area soon (with Brian McKnight). I would go, but our money and baby-sitting situation probably won't allow me. But the radio ads for the concert only feature really old school NE songs like Mr. Telephone Man and Candy Girl. They don't have any of their recent songs in the ad. Surely these middle age (almost?) men won't be singing those songs! I thought that was weird.

Vixen5

Vixen5

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 10:38 PM

Keepinitreal , I think I love you. Word to all you said.

That was the best BTM by far! I refuse to delete it from my TiVo. I got all squishy like I did when I was 10. *Sigh* Ralph & Ronnie. Anyhoo, I've heard the gay rumors about JG for a long time. I did grow a big old crush on him after seeing them perform on some award show recently.

ITA on the Maurice Starr ganking of NE's loot. If he's innocent, then Bobby ain't a crackhead.

Porkfat, please believe NE will do all their old stuff. Never mind that they're pushing 40. They're coming to NYC next month and I fronted on the tix. I'm going to have to rectify that or they are going to have to add another show.

Back on topic, I'm on the Biv love train too. He just started looking better and better to me the funnier he was. Lord help me. I'm crushing on Michael Bivens.

*editing for the umpteenth time since reading the whole thread is a good idea before responding

Edited by Vixen5, May 3, 2005 @ 10:51 PM.

KeepinItReal

KeepinItReal

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 11:10 PM

NE is playing two dates at DAR Constitution Hall in DC in June with Brian McKnight and Raheen DeVaughn (?). Boy do I wanna go.

He's really good. Here's one of his songs...
http://s40.yousendit...UZ3R4OSYFA2VG7B

I want someone to find me Michael Bivins address so I can send him some love letters. I never liked him when I was younger (I was a Ralph and Ronnie girl), but his personality, and the way he wore those suits, turned me into a convert.

I think I love you too, Vixen. lol

delicateflowers

delicateflowers

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 11:09 AM

Ralph and Ricky got married (not to each other, lol) in a double wedding ceremony last year.

Maybe Johnny's wife is cool that he's gay.

True Dat

True Dat

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 11:46 PM

Maybe Johnny's wife is cool that he's gay.

His wife!??!?!? The hell you say.

Is her name Bob? Bwah!

Ralph and Ricky got married (not to each other, lol) in a double wedding ceremony last year.

The photos I saw were only of Ralph and the missus. Dang, way to diss Ricky.

I was checking out a ticket broker for the DC show. Floor seats in the fifth row were going for $300 for a pair. Dayum!

brillia79

brillia79

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 9:51 PM

I swear in that "Rub You the Right Way" video Johnny was sporting a tri-level 'do that looked like it came from the Frank Lloyd Wright collection.

It took me 5 minutes to stop laughing over this comment.

JDub1

JDub1

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2005 @ 10:31 PM

But who among us can forget MC Brains of "Oochie Coochie" fame or Fruit Punch who didn't get out much. RIP East Coast Family.

I have "Oochie Coochie" on a mixed tape somewhere. I kind of get embarrassed when I listen to it now, to think of the way my little 13 year old ass danced around like I knew what that song was about. I'm still angry that I lost or someone stole my East Coast Family tape. I even remember being on the school bus for some field trip and we got the bus driver to play the tape, and practically the whole bus went along with the "Yo, my name is Fruit Punch, and I don't get out much" line. My personal favorite line was "I'm Lady V, and you know what's up with me, and the East Coast Family". Didn't Another Bad Creation do some song about a rivalry with Kriss Kross, something like "all these wannabe ABC's"? Anyone willing to make me a copy of that CD with receive my utter devotion.

I refuse to accept that Johnny could very possibly be gay. He dated Janet before Rene? I thought he dated her after the divorce too.

Good gracious, Bobby's ugly.

I didn't know Ricky put out a solo CD a few years ago. Does anyone know if it was any good?

Edited by JDub1, May 12, 2005 @ 10:32 PM.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 3:25 PM

Did anyone catch the Backstreet Boys episode? I wasn't expecting it to be up there with the legendary hair-band episodes, but I was expecting better than this. It was the All AJ Show, All the Time. Didn't ALL the Boys have childhoods? Isn't there embarrassing footage of them holding a Muppet? I would have preferred that to the spectacularly lame shots of AJ pretending to be punk rock (or whatever he thinks he is) with his bizarre solo act. And don't ALL the boy bands claim to differentiate themselves because they're the ones who "can actually sing"? How does that make you special?

I did love the footage of them getting booed at that middle school back in the day. Definitely the highlight of the show.

Phenobarbara

Phenobarbara

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 3:58 PM

I did love the footage of them getting booed at that middle school back in the day

That was funny. And in the scene where one of the guys goes to the front row and takes the girl's hand and sings to her, I swear I saw a few people behind her yawning. Hee.

It was the All AJ Show, All the Time

Yeah, too much focus on A.J.

Something that freaked me out was when they were talking about Lou Perlman. The voice over said "Despite not having any experience in the music industry, Lou Perlman wanted a boy band." That creeped me out for some reason.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 4:00 PM

I'm a Backstreet Boys fan (I fully admit to it!) but I haven't seen it in Canada yet. From what I was told though, they left out a lot and was too focused on AJ when there was a lot of other stuff going on that was barely mentioned. I guess VH1 figured use the rehab angle.

TrininisaScorp

TrininisaScorp

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 7:22 PM

I did love the footage of them getting booed at that middle school back in the day

You know, I went to school in Orlando and they performed at my middle school (I recall getting to go see them was a "prize" for selling magazines...bah). I was there and let me tell ya, they got their lame asses booed. Hmmm...I may have to make a point to check out that epi just to see if it was my middle school. Heh.

askew

askew

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 12:47 AM

I watched this the other night and ended up with more questions than answers. Why were the other band members so pissy about Nick's solo album? They claim it was the timing. Wasn't the band "on a break" already, so Nick should have been able to release his album? Did any other members release a solo album? Did they all bomb horribly? How much do they hate 'Nsync? Is 'Nsync a more successful band than them? Did Lou take them for millions? Does anyone know the real behind the music of BSB?

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 11:24 AM

It was the All AJ Show, All the Time. Didn't ALL the Boys have childhoods?

I taped this show (because I love any new BTM) and was looking forward to it, but I ended up fast-forwarding through most of it because it was way too much AJ. I've seen interviews with him before and they're always the same.

I also thought it was hilarious how much 'NSYNC music was played in a BSB Behind the Music.

Why were the other band members so pissy about Nick's solo album? They claim it was the timing. Wasn't the band "on a break" already, so Nick should have been able to release his album?

There was a big article in the paper about this at that time (about their finances and about how such a popular group could fall apart). Apparently, BSB was getting ready to fire their management (The Firm). They went to a meeting to dismiss the managers and found out that Nick had decided to stay with The Firm and release a solo CD. Apparently The Firm and the record company had convinced Nick that he could model his career ascent on Justin Timberlake's solo career. His CD flopped and he came back to the group.

Why do people keep hiring (and re-hiring) Johnny Wright? Boyz II Men hired him and he didn't help 'em out one bit, IMO. The magic is gone, people. He's not the starmaker he used to be.

BrightEyes87

BrightEyes87

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 9:02 PM

How much do they hate 'Nsync? Is 'Nsync a more successful band than them?

Well, generally, 'NSYNC didn't look like they were being castrated by Hannibal Lector while they preformed (a la The Boys), which is one reason I enjoyed 'NSYNC so much more in the boyband heyday.

Anytime I see a clip of "The Call" video, all I'll be able to think about is AJ confessing that that was the first time he tried coke.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2005 @ 2:56 PM

Yeah, too much focus on A.J.

I was watching the Depeche Mode episode and thought the same thing. There was too much focus on drugs! But what can we expect?

That reminds me that when the ex-member of Depeche Mode was interviewed for the show, he already knew that they weren't going to use his footage much because they would focus on the seedy stuff.

I still liked the BSB episode, though. What keeps Johnny Wright so tight in the face!

TrininisaScorp

TrininisaScorp

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2005 @ 8:47 PM

How much do they hate 'Nsync?

As an Nsync fan, I think they had a certain level of mutual loathing. IIRC in public, they acted sweet to each other for the most part. Cute picks of the various boys getting along fine at charity dos and award crap. But there were always a fair share of bitchy behavior coming from both sides.

For example, Lance was cohosting a TRL memorylane show a while back. After showing a clip of a large amount of fans when BSB dropped by TRL, Lance deadpans (with a dirty little glint in his eye) after the clip is over "I guess there is no accounting for good taste". Heh.

I also recall a BSB interview around the time before Nsync's No Strings Attached came out with the BSB guys stating that Nsync was trying to follow their career and were sadly copying them.

So to answer your question without being anymore of a dork...a decent fucking bit. Hee.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 11:55 AM

How much do they hate 'Nsync?

At the height of the boyband war, there was bad blood between some members, others got along fine. Now that it's over, the tension is gone, or at least much less apparent. As in terms who was more successful, depends on who you ask. But to me, N Sync was more popular in the U.S than in most countries, while Backstreet had strong followings in South America, parts of Europe, Canada and Japan.