Behind the Music

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

282 replies to this topic

canneuro

canneuro

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 10:00 AM

Last night's BTM: George Michael was great. Personally, it was one of their better BTM's in a long time. Not only did we hear from George, but we also had a very candid interview from his father. Unlike many BTMs, we saw new footage every five minutes rather than seeing the same photos over and over and over.

One question: Why do we need Gerri Halliwell's perspective?

ambystone

ambystone

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 10:19 AM

George and Geri are supposedly very good friends, so it sort of makes sense that she offer commentary.

Texaswonder

Texaswonder

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

Stubble is ALWAYS in.

George and Kenny....hotness overload.

Great BTM, and I hope he sells more Patience albums in the US, the man is one of the greatest singer/songwriters EVER.

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Aug 24, 2004 @ 11:39 AM

The George Michael episode was well-done. I found out some things I didn't know before, like how his father disapproved of George's singing career for a long time, George doing a lot of Ecstacy during his "Faith" years, and George and Kenny having an open relationship. Maybe all of that was covered in the British media but here in America it wasn't common knowledge. Too bad the Guns N'Roses Behind The Music couldn't be this candid or revealing.

The only thing that could've made the George Michael "Behind the Music" better would have been an interview with Andrew Ridgeley. But I loved how George's father said at the end that he couldn't be more proud of George. It was really touching without being corny.

It was also very admirable of George to really open up himself and talk about his insecurities. On a lot of BTMs, the stars act like they're in an infomercial and they don't talk about their dark side. It was really gutsy for George to own up to his mistakes and flaws. And he seems to have great taste in boyfriends. :-)

StaceyRosie

StaceyRosie

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, New York Yankees baseball

Posted Aug 24, 2004 @ 11:54 AM

I really enjoyed this BTM. I just think one of the funniest lines was from George talking about the "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" video and about the hints of his sexuality in it. "They put they gloves on me but they didn't tell me to roll my eyes back." Or something like that. HA.

Divagalore

Divagalore

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2004 @ 1:41 AM

I really enjoyed this BTM. I just think one of the funniest lines was from George talking about the "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" video and about the hints of his sexuality in it. "They put they gloves on me but they didn't tell me to roll my eyes back." Or something like that. HA.

LOL.....I was so enamored with George back then, I didn't want to see the signs. People always teased me about liking the guy with the two earrings and the itty bitty shorts, but I didn't want to hear about it! Aww those fabulous 80's...lol

Overall,this was a well done BTM...and I was so happy to see George actually interviewed. It's good to know that he and Andrew are still friends, but I really would've loved to have seen his interview...too bad he declined. It was nice to see Shirlie(the backup singer), she was with Wham for many years. It was also my first time seeing George's dad being interviewed, so it was good he finally saw the talent in his son and accepted him for his career goal, as well as lifestyle.

cjla

cjla

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 28, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

I was a devotee of Behind the Music in the early years, but now since so many outrageous stories have been told(Nikki Sixx, keep on keepin' on) I find myself jaded.

I wish the show would address more money issues. Quite a few bands are businesses--what I mean to say is a few of the musicians you see are just salaried employees. Aerosmith is owned by Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. The other guys are employees. I'm pretty sure Matt Sorum was an employee for Guns n Roses, and I've always heard its miserable getting Axl to pay his bills.

swordfish

swordfish

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 4, 2004 @ 7:12 PM

I got a question here, in the BTM guns and roses, what song is playing when Slash is talking about when Axl made the comment about him cleaning up his act or the band is over, what song is that riff from playing in the background?

Rosalyn578

Rosalyn578

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 11:17 AM

I just saw the episode on LL Cool J. I don't know if it's new or not but it was very interesting. It made me like LL Cool J a lot more. I couldn't stand him back in the 80's. He and his mother are the most forgiving people in the world. If my father shot my mother and grandfather, there's no way I'd let him manage my career.

charmed1

charmed1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 3:12 PM

I just wanna know how you do an LL Cool J Behind the Music, talk about his beefs with other rappers...and not talk about Kool Moe Dee!

Needless to say, I turned away after it was evident they weren't going to talk about it.

Rosalyn578

Rosalyn578

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 3:57 PM

Personally I'm not interested in his beefs with other rappers. All rappers seem to have beefs with other rappers. It's tired and I'm tired of hearing about it. I watched to learn about the person.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 11:24 AM

Behind the Music: New Edition is scheduled to premiere Thursday at 11 AM EST, with additional airings at 4:30 PM and 10 PM EST.

Didn't see the commercial (only heard it) so I have no idea if "The Original King of R&B" (hee!), Mr. Bobby Brown, is making an appearance.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 2:20 PM

Didn't see the commercial (only heard it) so I have no idea if "The Original King of R&B" (hee!), Mr. Bobby Brown, is making an appearance.

I don't think so because he was on Wendy William's radio show and it came off like he didn't have any idea what she was talking about.

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 4:08 PM

"The Original King of R&B" (hee!), Mr. Bobby Brown

Ribs and BBQ? Rocks and blunts?

I can't wait to see this. I loved me some New Edition! Can you stand the rain?

PopCultDiva

PopCultDiva

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 12:05 PM

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the George Michael BTM. I can’t say when I have not been so captivated with an entertainer - and in these days of “So, where were you when you heard Jen and Brad broke up?” navel-gazing, it becomes really easy to become disenchanted with the lot.

I’m glad he co-operated. Had he not, we would have had the usual repltion, as someone upthread noted. I saw the show for what it was – a “Don’t you remember George Michael” presentation of his past, present and future (?). Once I saw that he was “allowing” Dad, Shirley, Boyfriend – and even Elton (they must have been on speaking terms at the time) to participate, I was expecting a full shellac job – but it wasn’t. He was smart to not have a celebrity interview (who really needs Barbara or Diane) but he didn’t pull punches and he dealt with everything full on. I, for one, had no lingering questions afterwards.

I don’t know why but I did miss Andrew – even though I always thought of him as the do-nothing part of WHAM – who knew that George was so inspired by him. And he seems to look quite hunky (to these 41-year old eyes, anyway).

And I can’t believe how many GM and Wham songs I forgot I had forgotten. If GM has just quit WHAM, he still would have a great pop legacy (Careless Whispers, Everything She Wants). Glad he kept going though.

And it just goes to show you when a gorgeous, talented man can be so racked with insecurities and self-doubt. How lucky he is, to have gotten past all of that and appreciate the gifts of talent and life he has. His rationalization of his open relationship makes a heck of a lot o' sense to me (no kids to protect, go and explore responsibly).

And I love what he said about needing to sing, to his father’s opposition, to cement his space (at least that’s how I heard it). That is so much like my daughter and I – I need to give her more space to express herself.

All and in it was a great BTM. Would you guess that I likely will head down to HMV on my lunchhour and pick up something by GM. Good on you, George.

ETA I also forgot how many types of hotness George has become in the last while -I would still do him in a HEARTBEAT - even though I know know he confidently plays for the other team!

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 4:10 PM

I caught it this morning and It. Was. Awesome. Bobby Brown is definitely there. I do not recall Ronnie there but the others interviewed.

You have not lived until you hear Bobby Brown claim about being high in the past, implying he is clean now. Lay off the crack pipe before saying such lies - he really looks terrible, even for him.

They are even given a chance to remark on New Kids fame!

Oddly enough, no mention of Michael Bivins, producer, yet the narrator does use the phrase “boys to men“.

Edited by mooncreek, Apr 28, 2005 @ 4:31 PM.

misty cotton

misty cotton

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 4:23 PM

I have to second that, mooncreek. This is one of the best BTM episodes I've seen in awhile. If this ever comes out on DVD, I'm all over it. I haven't laughed so hard since the Leif Garrett BTM, but it was like unintentional comedy, thanks to our man "Look at the gel in my hair, I'm" Bobby Brown.

I don't know what was going on with Bobby Brown's mouth. It looked like he had a stroke or something, but maybe it was the effects of all the drugs. Him telling the members of New Kids on The Block "You can make a comeback, but you will never be us"....I'd truly be scared of him if I was a member of NKOTB. A lot of funny comments from Michael Bivins though, especially the one about Bobby Brown trying to sing Mr. Telephone Man (I heard Popcorn Love the first time I watched it, and I have no idea why) for twenty minutes, and him getting mad that the band started playing another song while he was singing, and he threw his microphone up in the air and stormed off the stage. I can imaging him having a "Sexual Chocolate!" moment. The stories of how they pretty much got screwed out of their money and the 1.87 cent check after all that touring. Then they break away from the guy, think they're signed to MCA, and got screwed again. Wow.

Ronnie was probably too busy selling houses. I read somewhere online awhile ago that's what he's doing now.

New Edition is touring again, I think. I'm so there.

Edited because I have been dipping in Bobby's (I can not wait to see his reality show. Hopefully he will be as entertaining as he was today.) stash as well

Edited by misty cotton, Apr 28, 2005 @ 10:03 PM.

fictionista

fictionista

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 4:52 PM

OMG, that was so good! I'll be back later since I've been in Bobby's stash and can't figure out the spoiler tags.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 11:30 PM

A New Edition BTM! Awesome!

I grew up with these cats (not them literally - their music). It's amazing how innocent we are as chirren. I remember back in the days when "Candy Girl" came out. I always thought that most of these guys were really all bubblegum back then (except for Bobby, of course). Boy, was I wrong.

Btw, I don't buy Maurice Starr's line one bit. I'm pretty sure he took their money.

True Dat

True Dat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 8:14 AM

Dang! Bobby Brown looks like a hundred miles of bad road. Not that he was ever even cute before, but DAY-UM.

$1.87!!!? WTF? You would think that after that happened the parents would have run to get lawyers and get that straight. Maybe BTM left out that part.

I feel all squicky realizing that I was almost nineteen when my crush on Ralph started and he was like....12?! Ewwwww. <psst>er, Ralph, I still wanna have your babies though, cuz I need a man...with..sens---i-ti--vity.

All in all this BTM was one fun ride back to the day.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 10:22 AM

Great show!

Oddly enough, no mention of Michael Bivins, producer, yet the narrator does use the phrase “boys to men“.

That is interesting, since the credits list Mike as "executive consultant" on the BTM. I'm not sure what that means, but if it's anything like Steve Perry of Journey, that means he got final approval over what was shown on the BTM.

Btw, I don't buy Maurice Starr's line one bit. I'm pretty sure he took their money.

Oh, and how. I've read some articles about how much money he took from them and how broke they were at their peak (like, couldn't even buy VCRs for their apartments). I can't believe how gracious the NE guys are being toward Maurice. They definitely have a cause for bitterness.

New Edition is touring again, I think. I'm so there.

Sadly, I might be there too. I went to the Home Again tour - they were there with Keith Sweat and maybe Gerald Levert? NE blew everyone off the stage. Incredible performers. They really do know how to put on an incredible show. I never even owned a NE CD (though I grew up with them and liked them) before then but I went out and bought their greatest hits. [whispers]You know who else is awesome in concert even without the early 90's pyrotechnics? M.C. Hammer.[/whispers]

Bobby cracked (heh) me up when he said he wasn't high on stage during that Home Again tour. We had free tickets and decided to go to the show at the last minute, so we had tickets slightly off to the side and could see backstage. We could see Bobby back there at least twice to toke up with something. Still, something makes me feel sorry for him, a little bit. I had forgotten how much I loved the CD "Don't Be Cruel". Might have to download some of those songs.
ETA:

So, what's up with Johhny Gill? The pink shirt, nose piercing, earrings, and other jewelry sent my gaydar through the roof!

If anything, I'm glad he's finally inching towards coming out. Don't know what's he up to these days -he always had various "fiancees" that never worked out, but he could be married for all I know. My good friend (who worked as a hairstylist in LA in the early 90s) said way back when that Johnny was seriously involved with Arsenio Hall for a number of years (Arsenio, Johnny G., Eddie Murphy, and a very young Tevin Campbell ran in the same crowd). Arsenio and Johnny were always pictured together in a number of magazines at various events, so I tended to believe it.

Edited by Arabesque, Apr 29, 2005 @ 12:37 PM.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 10:54 AM

Wow, that was a great BTM! I watched this completely sober and I was laughing my ass off every time Bobby came on screen. I didn't know too much about NE, since they were already onto their solo careers when I was at that pubescent stage.

Maurice Starr is the devil.

So, what's up with Johhny Gill? The pink shirt, nose piercing, earrings, and other jewelry sent my gaydar through the roof!

When was this filmed? They stopped at the 2002 reunion tour and didn't mention Bobby's recent, er issues.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 12:54 PM

I don't think so because he was on Wendy William's radio show and it came off like he didn't have any idea what she was talking about.

Bobby Brown is definitely there.

He must have been high then on WW. {sarcasm} Big surprise. {sarcasm}

My good friend (who worked as a hairstylist in LA in the early 90s) said way back when that Johnny was seriously involved with Arsenio Hall for a number of years (Arsenio, Johnny G., Eddie Murphy, and a very young Tevin Campbell ran in the same crowd).

Not Tevin?!??! Say it ain't so. LMAO.

I feel all squicky realizing that I was almost nineteen when my crush on Ralph started and he was like....12?!

How about my mom, mid-to-late 20s, listened to them. EW! That's how I knew who they were. I never brought any of their records before. I may get a Greatest Hits CD though.

I can't wait for this weekend cuz I know VH1 will replay this 500 times so I should be able to catch it.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 4:10 PM

Man, New Edition are gluttons for punishment. Another reunion tour? Really? After that last one? Really? Okay.

Considering their wild childhoods, it's impressive how together most of them (i.e., everyone interviewed that wasn't Bobby) seemed to be. I think Bobby and Farrah are doing the same drugs. They look the same age.

Boys To Men - I knew Bivens was getting money from somewhere other than New Edition and Bell Biv Devoe. I forgot he had a hand in that group. No wonder he's not bitter about New Edition's lousy contracts.

I loved they way they were all admitting they were unhappy with Sean Puffy P. Diddy Jingle Heimerschmidt Comb's idea for their new album, but went along with it anyway in order to get out of another lousy contract and hopefully move on to something they actually want to do.

At this point I'm willing to buy their album just as a show of support for their tenacity.

fictionista

fictionista

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 5:50 PM

I watched this with a twinge of sadness. I had no idea that they had such crappy contracts. It's messed up that Maurice took advantage of them, but that's the business I guess.

The part that makes me the saddest is that they are STILL sort of looking for that big break to put them over the top. I had no idea Bobby had sold 12 million records, but that explains why he was such an ass on the tour. And Puffy had no idea how to market them. He should have marketed them to the grown folks. I surely would have bought the CD then.

And yes, Johnny, you tore up "Boys to Men". I didn't even realize that song was never released; it was such a hit. He cracked me up when he said that nobody knew that Whitney was just as crazy as Bobby. That is so true. She was "black Barbie", but underneath it all was a girl from the streets.

Anyway, this was probably my favorite BTM, if only for nostalgia's sake. I hope they can finally get the break they're looking for beacuse they deserve after all these years.

And is it me, or did they still seem like lost little boys? There is a sweetness and naivete that they all still have. It's rather endearing IMO.

IssyB

IssyB

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 9:13 PM

Aimee Myers

"The Original King of R&B" (hee!), Mr. Bobby Brown

Ribs and BBQ? Rocks and blunts?

Whitney and Bobby been fucking with them noodles again?

(And anyone who gets that reference...serious kudos.)

delicateflowers

delicateflowers

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 10:07 PM

Man, New Edition are gluttons for punishment. Another reunion tour? Really? After that last one? Really? Okay.

As long as Bobby's not on the tour, I don't see a problem with it. I never got to see them as a teenager, so it would be fun to see them in concert now. If Frankie Beverly and Maze and Patti Labelle can go on tour after tour after tour, hell if the Rolling Stones' old geriatric azzes can go on tour after tour after tour, I don't see why New Edition can't either. And they probably need to stick with touring, and leave recording albums alone.

Cherry Delight

Cherry Delight

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 11:23 PM

Maurice Starr was the Lou Perlman of the '80s.

Not Tevin?!??! Say it ain't so. LMAO.

In 1999, Tevin was arrested for marijuana posession and for soliciting a male police officer who was undercover as a prostitute. You can find the details if you do a Web search. He might make an interesting "Behind the Music" but I doubt he'd want to talk about his arrest, and I doubt that most people would care or remember who Tevin Campbell is. He was never THAT big of a star the way Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer were.

My good friend (who worked as a hairstylist in LA in the early 90s) said way back when that Johnny was seriously involved with Arsenio Hall for a number of years (Arsenio, Johnny G., Eddie Murphy, and a very young Tevin Campbell ran in the same crowd).

This doesn't surprise me because I've heard for years that Johnny Gill is gay or bisexual. There's a "down low" subculture of men who consider themselves straight but they secretly have sex with other men. (Can you say IN DENIAL?) I've heard Arsenio and Eddie Murphy are like that too, and Tevin got outed with his arrest. And of course there was that time Eddie Murphy was detained by the police when Eddie picked up a drag queen prostitute in the middle of a West Hollywood gay cruising ground at something like 3 o'clock in the morning. Eddie's wife was out of town at the time and Eddie said he was being a "good Samaritan" and was just giving the prostitute a ride home. Right. And Bobby Brown is the Pope.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 11:29 PM

Don't know what's he up to these days -he always had various "fiancees" that never worked out, but he could be married for all I know.

Didn't he steal someone's fiancee one time (I think it was Will Smith's)? But I certainly see what y'all are saying about his mannerisms on BTM. And who knew he had such a potty mouth! You don't need to prove, Johnny.

Not Tevin?!??! Say it ain't so.

T.E.V.I.N.? But don't you remember how much he liked girls on his second album? Remember?! He went way out of his way to show how much he liked girls. You must have him confused with someone else - Danny Pintauro perhaps.

As for the song "Boys To Men", I was sure that song was released as a single. I hear it on the radio all the time. I had no idea it was just another throwaway cut on the album that they decided to give to the new jack, Johnny. And while I normally hate when people toot their own horns, I must admit that he did do his thing on that song. Listening to it again, I realize that it's quite a boring song without Johnny jazzing it up at the end.

Edited by Make It So, Apr 29, 2005 @ 11:31 PM.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2005 @ 2:30 AM

And Bobby Brown is the Pope.

Habemus crack!