Behind the Music

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

282 replies to this topic

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Since they did Brandy and Aaliyah, I wish they would also give Monica her own BTM as well. It would be interesting to see if she would discuss her boyfriend killing himself in front of her and her how she got past that.

I really don't agree that Brandy/Aaliyah/Monica were "replaced" with whiter artists. In 1999, Britney, Christina, Brandy and Monica all had hits and Aaliyah had a huge hit in '98 with "Are You That Somebody?". Monica's ex-boyfriend killed himself in '99 so she disappeared for a while to deal with the tragedy, Aaliyah was focusing on her film career and had hits until she died, Brandy disappeared after she got pregnant. By the time Brandy and Monica were ready to come back in the mid-2000s music had changed completely, their fans were grown, so of course they needed to re-establish themselves. I don't believe in this case race had anything to do with it. If life hadn't handed them real shit to deal with, I think they still would've been able to sustain hits alongside their white counterparts. There is room for everybody.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

I wish the older BTM shows would be repeated. The new ones seem...shallower?...to me. Not by artist, just the style. I know I'm not pinpointing my issue that well.

But I loved the show when it started up around '98. Cannot BELIEVE it was that long ago. The ones that would feature pop culture places or whatever rather than artists were fun.

I still remember the Studio 54 one. Very entertaining if not way out there. (But considering its rep, not a shock, I guess.)

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Just saw the Biggie BTM. So sad that his life was cut so short because he was stuck as pawn in a stupid war. Puffy can say whatever, but I believed his hands are just as dirty as Suge's. I miss the era in hip-hop when rappers used to talk about what was it was like growing up in the streets and opening America eyes as to whats really happening in society. Now hip-hop is a bunch of BS just like every other genre. Such a waste of talent to lose both Tupac and Biggie at such young ages.

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

They've just started airing new episodes 2 Sundays ago... Train and Ne-Yo. Anyone catch them?

Ne-Yo's was interesting, sort of sad. I didn't know he was originally in a "boy band," and then he had a sad story with a woman he was in a relationship with and there was a child involved. I didn't realize he had a deal previously, got dropped, and then Def Jam gave him a second chance after he proved himself as a writer. Had no idea he wrote Mario's song "Let Me Love You."

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

I watched Ne-Yo's episode. I wondered why at first, but learned a lot about him. That situation with him and his first girlfriend was wild! Guess folk will never learn to listen to their mothers about shady girls. That he still had to pay for a child that wasn't even his was gangsta. His current girlfriend had 2 babies and he still didn't make her his wife? Hmmm.

I tell my son that the real money in the music business is song writing and publishing. Ne-Yo never really had to step on a stage to make serious money.

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Why does Nicole Scherzinger have a Behind the Music episode airing tonight? She's not really that talented, popular, or successful. I'm questioning what's going on with VH1 and their choices for this season. Lots of flash in the pan folks and artists that won't last (T-Pain, Akon, this chick).

Gemini84

Gemini84

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

"I love those girls. They're like my sisters, but people don't even know the story. They have no idea. I was in the center because I was the one singing. "

Oh?!

I couldn't even finish Nicole Scher-whatever-her-last-name-is BTM after that major bombshell.

pengbear

pengbear

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

The Nicole Scherzinger BTM definitely did not make me sympathetic to her. OK, so you're doing all the vocals in a group, and not getting singled out for attention. As someone who seems obsessed with being a singer, I can see how she'd be annoyed. But that's what she signed up for! She knew the situation from the start!

I felt bad for her body image issues, but it seemed very selfish to me that everyone had to work around her. What a horrible way to live, hating yourself that much but needing so desperately to be the center of attention. I started out liking her ok, but then ended up being really turned off by her neediness and selfishness.

Edited by pengbear, Oct 11, 2012 @ 5:15 PM.

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

Girl is delusional. Acting like she was dropping some bombshell about doing 95% of the vocals or something and nobody knew. What's even funnier is that the PCD album credits say "all lead and background vocals done by Nicole Scherzinger".

And the show wasn't very factual. Interscope released like six singles from her first solo album before they gave up and shelved it. And while the show ended up on a positive note, saying her sophomore album had like 5 top 10 singles, maybe they were all in Albania or something. That album, like the first, was shelved and never released in the US after a couple singles flopped.

Edited by sandrajane, Oct 13, 2012 @ 6:08 PM.

sereion

sereion

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

I wish the older BTM shows would be repeated. The new ones seem...shallower?...to me. Not by artist, just the style. I know I'm not pinpointing my issue that well.

I agree, which is why I enjoy Unsung. The older episodes had far more depth than the new ones; maybe because it features artist who actually hit rock bottom before re-energizing their careers again, plus their stories were more interesting. T I rarely watch the new episodes anymore. I did, however enjoyed watching DMX and Nas's stories.

I also enjoyed watching TI's last night. With the execption of 50, he's one of the few mainstream new school rappers that I actually like. He's made stupid mistakes, but he's very likable, self-aware and quite humble. He's such a hands on husband and father, too.

I wouldn't call Akon a flash in a pan, if I'm not mistaken, he's been quite successful behind the scenes as well; in fact he's the one who discovered Lady Gaga.

Edited by sereion, Nov 6, 2012 @ 8:53 AM.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Did Toni Braxton really blame Oprah for the demise of her career? If anything, she should've listened to her advice since she ended up going bankrupt again (and is in trouble even recently) while Oprah went on the be a billionaire.

Edited by Ty, Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:38 AM.

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

Did Toni Braxton really blame Oprah for the demise of her career? If anything, she should've listened to her advice since she ended up going bankrupt again (and is in trouble even recently) while Oprah went on the be a billionaire.

I don't think Toni blamed Oprah for the demise of her career, but she did say that Oprah reinforced the public's perception of her and her bankruptcy, and this hurt her career. I didn't see the entire Oprah episode--only the clip that was shown. I agree that Oprah had already made up her mind about Toni Braxton and was very judgemental and condescending during the interview. I don't know Oprah ever addressed the realities of the music industry during the episode--singers who don't write their own material and don't have good business minds don't make a lot of money. The early careers of New Edition, TLC, and Busta Rhymes, for example, all demonstrate that. Contrast that with Ne-Yo, who has been in control of his career since the beginning. And it shows--he has done very well financially and professionally. And Oprah, bless her heart, has almost always been in control of her brand.

I will say that most music artists of today are smarter than artists from a generation ago. Most of them play a key role in the writing and production of their music, and that's where the money is. Even Whitney Houston, who wasn't penniless when she died, didn't make as much money in her career as she could have because she didn't write any of her songs and was therefore not entitled to most of the money from royalties.

What I don't like about Oprah is that she isn't a fair interviewer. With some people, like Toni Braxton, she's brutally honest and harsh. But with other people, like Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson, she is more gentle and understanding. No, Michael Jackson never went bankrupt, but he was spending over 100,000/month to maintain the animals and carnival rides on Neverland Ranch, and there came a time when he couldn't meet payroll every week. When Oprah interviewed him, she never asked him why he spent so much money on his expensive "toys." When she interviewed Whitney Houston, she never told Whitney that she also probably had a negative influence on Bobbi Kristina--Bobbi didn't just see her dad doing drugs. She saw both Bobby and Whitney doing drugs for years. But Oprah never made Whitney acknowledge her role in their addiction.

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

I wouldn't call Akon a flash in a pan, if I'm not mistaken, he's been quite successful behind the scenes as well; in fact he's the one who discovered Lady Gaga.

He and his brother, Bu, are quite successful as music executives. However, this show focuses on his offerings as an artist, and Akon songs won't be playing in 15 years as classics. He just isn't that good. Sorry.