The People's Court

• Please log in to reply

5042 replies to this topic

emonique

emonique

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

AngelaHunter, if I recall correctly the plaintiff bought the tickets a few days (maybe a week) before the concert.

I don't know, even if the defendant didn't have a legal obligation, it's kind of messed up to just say "too bad, so sad". I think anyway. The defendant lied about how the tickets were obtained and that usually gets JM's spidey senses tingling. Lol. Even if it is true that the tickets came from a friend wouldn't that friend understand that the concert conflicted with something else the little girl wanted to do so they decided not to go and sold the tickets instead? It's not the worst thing in the world.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

I don't know, even if the defendant didn't have a legal obligation, it's kind of messed up to just say "too bad, so sad".

It was certainly rude.

Did the plaintiff buy the tickets after the concert was cancelled, and did the def. know it was cancelled?

I don't recall anyone saying the plaintiffs bought the tickets after the show was canceled. I don't have it dvr'ed, but I think the case would have resolved a lot differently if the defendant had been selling tickets to a show already canceled.

momtoall

momtoall

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

OTOH, I don't know why so many people feel that buying something from a private individual on CL - often without even inspecting the item - automatically guarantees them quality and honesty from the seller. Let the buyer beware!

ITA. I feel the same way regarding people suing because the used car they purchase from an individual doesn't run like a new. I tune out as soon as I hear the suit involves a used car purchase.

newyorkcitygal

newyorkcitygal

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but have any of you noticed that adorable old lady who is always in the audience of the show? She has blond hair, rosy cheeks and is always dressed well. Awesome lady! If I had the time, I would totally sit in on the People's Court every day too.

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

The timing of the sale of the tickets were a bit suspicious -- the tickets were sold around the same time that the concert was postponed because of the bus accident in which Cosgrove was injured. This issue must have been explored but edited out for time because they all moved on quickly from it.

What do you all think about Mister Wood Thief from today's cases? I didn't believe a word out of him, especially when he kept insisting that the defendant was wrong because they shook on it. I think Mister Wood Thief was counting on the defendant not noticing the loss of the trees and then being able to skate by on the thin thread of permission to remove the single tree on the property line.

I would like to see more cases like Craig's List Ticket Sale and Wood Thief please and a lot less girlfriend/boyfriend/gift/loan cases. And I could pass on the dog bite cases as well -- brings out the unpleasant crazy.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

The Wood Thief was just outrageous. The fact that he admits he was previously charged with..well, being a Wood Thief was incredible. The fact that both times (that he got caught, that is) he stole from members of the police force makes me think there's something wrong in his noggin. As if anyone would give him free reign to cut down trees until the end of his days. Over 100 trees for his own personal use? He must live in a duplicate of Buckingham Palace with no central heating.

And I could pass on the dog bite cases as well

Me too. The arrogant, blustering asshole whose 5 German Shepherds ran loose is a prime example of why I hate these cases.

dog3mom

dog3mom

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

I wonder how many times the wood thief stole wood and didn't get caught? A lot of time between
cases. I bet he has been stealing wood right along.

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Foot Fungus Lady from last week had competition from the Russian multi-lawsuit man today. He believed people were drugging him, he sued a woman who wouldn't date him. Yikes.

The lawyer showed poor form by ragging on the wacko in the court. Loved MM giving him a stern talking to. She has no patience for lawyers who make the profession look bad.

cjkatl

cjkatl

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

The lawyer showed poor form by ragging on the wacko in the court. Loved MM giving him a stern talking to. She has no patience for lawyers who make the profession look bad.

Not being a litigant comments fan, I almost turned stopped and deleted the DVR, thinking the episode was over. There should have been some warning that the best was yet to come. Hopefully nobody will miss this spectacular dress-down. Or the final comment in the hallway.

DoctorK

DoctorK

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

Or the final comment in the hallway.

Yeah, "east end of a westbound horse" indeed, from a lawyer yet. I remember that from my grade school playground days, well before the lawyer was born, and maybe even before the admittedly crazy plaintiff was born.

Edited by DoctorK, May 10, 2012 @ 5:16 PM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

I get the feeling he went on a lot longer, but they cut him off really quickly in the hallway.

mtbingmom

mtbingmom

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Usually Curt tries to stir the stuff, but he really cut the defendant off quickly, and went back to Harvey

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

It wasn't just Curt cutting off. The Camera cut to the street and it was just Curt's voice over. That was editor magic, not just Curt cutting off.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

If you want to have naked pictures of yourself taken by your fuck buddy - I mean "Friend with benefits" (So much more romantic!) you better stay away from Judge M.

That little hood rat who started breeding at 14, likes to get piss drunk on $1.00 drinks and pose naked for some porky little liar got her ass handed to her and rightly so. I didn't really get all the story since I couldn't understand half of what she said in her garbled, mangled English. I can't believe JM tolerated her going on and on and on with her sordid tale as long as she did. Did she think she was at an audition for some kind of low level reality show?

cmh1981

cmh1981

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I couldn't believe the "naked photos posted on facebook" case went on as long as it did. Could someone still explain to me why she won a monetary value judgement in the end, minus the cost of his glasses she broke? If it was b/c he posted those photos and she was humiliated.....so what?! That is the price you pay when you take naked photos on a cell phone. In the words of Judge MM, "Say it, forget it....write it, regret it." That saying applies in this case as well, she shouldn't have been awarded any monetary value for it. That said, I couldn't believe her age and that she had 3 kids, putting her first pregnancy at age 14!

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Very, very disgusting cases! The "hood rat" and the parking space thief with her homophobic comments was the worst People's Court I've ever seen. And that is saying something!!!

Is MM becoming a courtside Jerry Springer!

aimistrue

aimistrue

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

Very, very disgusting cases! The "hood rat" and the parking space thief with her homophobic comments was the worst People's Court I've ever seen. And that is saying something!!!

So homophobia is wrong, but calling people "hood rats" is okay? Well, alrighty then . . .

sereion

sereion

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

If you want to have naked pictures of yourself taken by your fuck buddy - I mean "Friend with benefits" (So much more romantic!) you better stay away from Judge M.

That little hood rat who started breeding at 14, likes to get piss drunk on $1.00 drinks and pose naked for some porky little liar got her ass handed to her and rightly so. I didn't really get all the story since I couldn't understand half of what she said in her garbled, mangled English. I can't believe JM tolerated her going on and on and on with her sordid tale as long as she did. Did she think she was at an audition for some kind of low level reality show?

Man! I've been missing the good cases, lately! Please tell me this is on YouTube?

momtoall

momtoall

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

So homophobia is wrong, but calling people "hood rats" is okay? Well, alrighty then . . .

I was thinking the same thing aimistue. I wouldn't want to associate with the litigants from either case.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Oh, even better, the "hood rat" who started breeding at age 14 WON the case. Now she had to endure the wrath (sort of) of Judge Marilyn, but that's a small price to pay to win $2,000, after subtracting for the glasses she broke when she was outraged that her nude photos were put on FB.

And the homophobic parking case. The guy shoveled out a spot in front of his car port? Right? So the space in front of it wouldn't be a space, per se. It would be like blocking a driveway...

However, if he did scratch her car, then yeah, he has to pay for that, but honestly, why does this woman get away with the hateful and entitled attitude she so clearly has????

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

Yes, homophobia is wrong. And she showed it in the most nasty way possible bringing up her "booty."

I typed in "hood rat" in quotes because I was quoting a previous poster. To tell you the truth, I have never even heard of that expression before, but I knew it wasn't used to praise her. If it means that a mother of three kids is hanging out at bars and having her photo taken naked, then so be it. Sometimes there should be accountability for one's actions. Those two cases were Springer-like and I hate that MM and her producers decided to take them on.

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I hated the greedy dog attack victim. That blubberface wanted $$$ for all kinds of stupid things: his lost acting job(s), pepper spray, stun gun, his sweatpants, his gas costs, money spent for copying documents, stress. And he had no proof except for his vet bills.

When he threw in that his dog is vomiting all the time and is "different", my eyes started rolling. He was useless and money hungry and I was glad that he got zip.

DoctorK

DoctorK

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Greedy dog attack victim lost me when he said his job is acting in dinner theater, then after a pause, some unspecified TV and movie work. He really had a reasonable case until he started padding everything ($55 for sweat pants? Does dinner theater really pay that well?), and didn't have supporting documentation for anything except the vet bill, and even that was a little shaky. If he had just claimed the vet bill and left the overacting at home, I think JM would have given him the vet bill to avoid letting the uncaring and negligent defendant get off scot-free. I really hope that PC does provide information to the local animal control as JM said they would. Otherwise, it was clear from the hallterview that the defendant is not going to actually fix her fence as needed, not until another dog or person is attacked.

Edited by DoctorK, May 16, 2012 @ 3:38 PM.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

I think MM hates when bills are padded. That $55 for sweat pants was ridiculous. I still think he should have gotten the vet bills paid, but his greed did him in.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

sereion, yes it is:

"My Boo Thang posted my naked pics!"

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

What did everyone think of the lady with the coat? It was damaged at the dry cleaners and the dry cleaner offered to pay half of what she said she paid for the coat, even though she had no proof of what she actually paid for it. That, however, wasn't enough for her. She wanted more money because her two year old coat could have been vintage by now and it had sentimental value, of course.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

The sentimental value she claimed to have for that coat was a little over the top to me.

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I was listening to the coat case on autopilot but sure paid attention after she insisted that she get more money for her vintage 2-year old coat. Another tip from the Court: if you think you can find the value of your clothing item on the website of the store you bought it from or ordered it as a brand new item, that item is very likely Not Vintage.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

What did everyone think of the lady with the coat?

You mean the suede coat? Well, she thought it was suede but it was really polyester. Oops.

If people could get today's retail value on their items, they'd be trashing their own stuff just to get new.

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

This is a bit OT, but I was a little shocked by the use of the words "cat piss" on PC this week. I use pissed off and pissy in my everyday language, but I never use piss as a synonym for the bodily function. It was not used in my home growing up, and it just sounds harsh to my ear. I thought 'piss' was not an acceptable word for daytime audiences but I guess the times are changing (even though the word 'crap' was bleeped on Judge Judy this same week).

Is piss the new pee?

Edited by patty1h, May 19, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.