Slings & Arrows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

230 replies to this topic

watchteoftv

watchteoftv

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 3:01 PM

Hmmm - OK... from the sound of this, we probably better watch it fast, but that's cool - Paul Gross is too pretty NOT to be on tv; but who knows, it might be a hit - and between him and Thomas Gibson and Shemar Moore on Criminal Minds, my tv will be a MUCH hotter place.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 5:32 PM

I guess we're going to have to wait even longer for a possible (but becoming unlikely) season 4 of "Slings". Back to my DVDs....

Wow, I didn't even know that had been a possibility. Honestly, they ended the show so well I think I would rather they just left it as is.

crb

crb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 22, 2009 @ 4:38 PM

As someone who came to this series rather late in the game and nearly by coincidence I must say that Slings & Arrows has supplanted the original U.K. iteration of The Office as my favorite bit of episodic television. A desire to see the pre-Hollywood work of Rachel McAdams was what drew me to check out Season 1 of S&A from my local library. I cannot say that I was totally blown away at first, however, my curiosity was piqued enough to put a library request order for the subsequent two seasons. Having seen "it all" now I must say that this series really was consistently excellent.

When I saw the first season two years ago, I figured that Rachel McAdams and Luke Kirby would both become big stars, since they're both wonderfully talented young actors and good-looking to boot. But alas, while Rachel is now poised to take the title of Canada's Most Overhyped Actress away from Sarah Polley, Luke is still languishing in CanCon obscurity.

I found this eye-catching (& circa 2004) quote on page one (I read all fifteen pages.) and I haven't a clue how "hyped" (or Overhyped) either one of these actresses are in Canada but the magnetism and subtlety of Sarah Polley performance in the third season of S&A compelled me to find out who she was (I'd never seen nor heard of her before.) and seek out some of her prior cinematic work. Of course, I found out that she is "Canadian national treasure" (or some such rubbish) and "Canada's indie queen". I must say that for somebody who is so over-hyped Ms Polley certainly flew under my radar for a good twenty years down here in the U.S.

This is a gem of a show and anyone who hasn't seen it should experience Slings & Arrows.

Edited by crb, Jun 22, 2009 @ 4:45 PM.

Love2Hate

Love2Hate

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

Attention Paul Gross fans! Per the LA Times, ABC picked up his new show "Eastwick" for the fall, based off the John Updike novel.

Yes and for this reason alone I am watching Eastwick. Who am I kidding - I would watch Paul Gross read a phone book, and buy the DVD series too.

Topic: I'd love to see more Slings & Arrows. Hopefully it will eventually happen.

watchteoftv

watchteoftv

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2009 @ 5:28 PM

Attention Paul Gross fans! Per the LA Times, ABC picked up his new show "Eastwick" for the fall, based off the John Updike novel.

Yes and for this reason alone I am watching Eastwick. Who am I kidding - I would watch Paul Gross read a phone book, and buy the DVD series too.

GUH - that voice...I would buy the audiotape of Paul Gross Explains how Paint Dries ...and play it 'til it wears out. *g*

Topic: I'd love to see more Slings & Arrows. Hopefully it will eventually happen.

I want this SO. MUCH.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2009 @ 6:35 PM

I don't know how long it takes to tape a six-episode run. Perhaps they could just do a 2 hour special?

Look at me. Negotiating like I have a say in the matter. I just loved this series. Time to see it again.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2009 @ 6:36 PM

A movie might be fun. But it ended so beautifully, I'd be afraid it could mess it up somehow.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 8:19 PM

I can never find this thread because it's in the Dramas when it's really a Comedy - albeit a dark one at times.

S&A is now showing on the Ovation channel (if you have that) on Fridays. Up to episode 4 now, I believe. Geoffrey has just taken over directing Hamlet. I had forgotten Rachel McAdams is in this first series, looking very young and na´ve.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 1:36 AM

I hadn't seen a lot of these first series episodes. I didn't remember Richard being such a conniving tool. Way to screw with poor Jack's confidence, there, "Dick". Nice one!

JennyBeans

JennyBeans

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 1:28 PM

For years people have been telling me I'd love this show (I work for a theater). I had no idea. I'm so glad I caught it on Ovation and have now added all the DVDs to my netflix queue. The acting is just fantastic, and seeing Rachel McAdams so young and unknown is pretty hilarious.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to going back and re-reading this entire thread when I'm further ahead. Can't believe it took so long.

LittleGreyCells

LittleGreyCells

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2010 @ 7:56 PM

Are we watching season 1 now on Ovation ?

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

With Smash airing episodes right now, I'm constantly reminded how great this series was. It was a perfect dramedy - the mix of humor and drama was great, the writing incredibly intelligent and a love letter to theater. The scene where Jeffrey tries to explain Ophelia's madness to his actress is 10x better than any dramatic coaching I've seen on scripted television.

If the writers aren't too busy - can they join the staff of Smash? I loved how they handled Rachel McAdams's Kate - full of dreams, a little bit green, but hardworking and knowledgeable. I wish they would be able to apply this to Katherine McPhee's character in Smash - who doesn't seem to have the same passion, drive, or intelligence. S&A did that young ingenue storyline right, I wish Smash would take notice.

eta: looks like I'm not alone:

http://www.televisio...oull-love-s.php

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Feb 14, 2012 @ 1:58 PM.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Just got this link in a tweet from Billy Campbell that talks about the possibility of Slings & Arrows being resurrected. Nothing definite yet, but it sounds promising!

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

It's a crying shame that NBC didn't go to the S&A writers for help with Smash.

Edited by insanityproject, Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:20 AM.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

For anyone who may want to upgrade to the Complete Collection Blu-Ray of this excellent series, Deep Discount DVD is having a sale where you can get an extra 25% off when entering a promo code, making it below $40, which, IMO, is a steal when you see what it goes for at Amazon and even eBay!

Good luck!

Edited by WendyCR72, Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:18 AM.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

Also sounds like co-creator Bob Martin said on Twitter (via this article) that the show "may live again".

I love this show but am so torn. It was super short, but so few episodes ditched the filler and made this almost perfect. And it seemed to tie up nicely. If it does happen, I hope the superb quality can be maintained as the first three seasons were!

SomeTameGazelle

SomeTameGazelle

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

Interview with Susan Coyne, Bob Martin, and Mark McKinney on the creation of Slings & Arrows. They concede that the series is done and won't be revived as such, but say they are working on something possibly similar. I also learned of the Brazilian remake, which was news to me.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

I'm very curious about their next project. I also had no idea that there was a Brazilian remake though having Darren Nichols in "Blindness" now makes sense.

pattycake2

pattycake2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

Just finished watching all 3 seasons on Amazon Prime.  So frickin' good I had to mete out the shows like expensive Belgian chocolates.  Damn you Brit influenced Canadians for considering six episodes a season!

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 4:30 PM

Just finished watching all 3 seasons on Amazon Prime.  So frickin' good I had to mete out the shows like expensive Belgian chocolates.  Damn you Brit influenced Canadians for considering six episodes a season!

Indeed! But it also cut out the extraneous filler. Probably why every episode was so damned good. While I do watch it on Amazon out of convenience, I'm still glad I own the Blu-Rays of the Complete Series, just in case it ever stops streaming (hopefully never!).

GKelly

GKelly

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 3:14 PM

Rewatch at DC Theatre Scene:

http://dctheatrescen...ngs-and-arrows/