Loving

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

42 replies to this topic

JaneDigby

JaneDigby

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

They got engaged, but then Flynn decided Carly was still stuck on Paul, and stood in the street screaming at her about it...and then a car hit him and killed him, which was sort of awesome because it was so unexpected.

Thanks for the recap, Black Knight. The whole thing sounds pretty good but that last part? Art. How is it that baby switch s/ls are rampant but that little plot twist has only been used once?

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 1:00 AM

I never knew Larkin Malloy was a Clay recast. How many Clays were there?

Who played Flynn? The sad thing is you still find very few openly gay actors on daytime.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 2:51 PM

I never knew Larkin Malloy was a Clay recast. How many Clays were there?

I can remember 3, first there was James Horan, then Larkin Malloy, and finally Dennis Parlato. I'm not counting Randolph Mantooth whose Alex Masters posed as Clay for a bit. I was an intermittent viewer so I may have omitted some Clay(s).

Who played Flynn?

The late Keith Pruitt.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 4:51 PM

Thanks. I read that he and his partner were beaten in the street, with golf clubs, in 1994, because they were holding hands. He really fought a lot of battles. I'm sorry he's gone.

Black Knight

Black Knight

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 6:06 PM

Ms Sugarbaker, the Clays you remember were the last three. I don't know if Horan originated the part or if there was a Clay before him.

Horan's Clay was pretty much an out-and-out villain. Malloy's Clay came to town a reformed man and had a very nice love story with Dinah Lee (as played by Jessica Collins - not to be confused with the somewhat better known primetime actress of the same name - before JC left and was recast with the then-unknown Elizabeth Mitchell). But then he overheard that he wasn't a biological Alden, freaked, and went bad again. He left town, and returned as Parlato's Clay, who was somewhat in between the two previous Clays characterwise...not a good guy, but not a complete villain either.

How is it that baby switch s/ls are rampant but that little plot twist has only been used once?

Hee! I don't know. This was before the internet and the kind of spoilering that we see today, so there really was no clue that that was going to happen. I mean, it had been obvious that Carly and Flynn weren't going to work out, a little less obvious that she'd end up back with Paul, as he was still with Ava at the time. But when Flynn stood in the street with her crying and begging him to see reason, and then the car came out of nowhere? Awesome. The shot was set up so perfectly - he was standing there with his arms out pronouncing that they were over, and then the car zoomed into the frame from the left side and slammed into him. Cut to black. End of episode. Total shock. Bye bye, Flynn.

Edited by Black Knight, Oct 19, 2009 @ 6:22 PM.

Cornballer

Cornballer

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

Some kind and generous soul put highlights of the serial killer finale on YouTube:

Part One (Curtis/Clay)

Part Two: Jeremy Gets Plastered

Part Three: Tricia Returns

Part 4: Steffi finds the Killer

Conclusion

Pretty impressive how many actors from this period went on to major roles on other soaps.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

Except the best actor among them (Christine Tudor).

samgracesmom

samgracesmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 21, 2010 @ 8:15 AM

This brings back memories. I started watching Loving regularly around the time they did the rip off Thorn Birds story with Shana and Father Jim, a story I found strangely compelling (maybe because of my parochial school background? LOL!). I also remember Trisha and Steve Sowolsky, a very sweet rich girl/poor boy/young love/first love storyline. I cried buckets when Steve was killed, and didn't Trisha's mother Gwyneth hook up at some point with Steve's sleazy father Harry?

Coldit

Coldit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

I'm trying to give Loving a little bump here because I've been thinking about it with the cancellations. It really did have one of the best "okay, we're going out so let's do it with a bang" endings ever. I loved the little "FIGURE IT OUT" graphic floating at the bottom of the screen when there were clues to the killer. It was so aggressive, how could I resist!

Can someone clear this up for me? I know Gwyneth was the serial killer in the end, but didn't the first reveal do a fake-out that it was Trisha? How did that play out again, if anyone remembers?

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

This is good timing, as Jessica Collins (Dinah Lee #1) is joining Y&R in a contract role, and Anthony Herrera (Dane Hammond) passed away yesterday.

I think the "figure it out" was just in the recap episodes that ran because of all the preemptions from the OJ trial.

Trisha had amnesia and there was some speculation she was the killer. Then when Steffi saw "Trisha" trying to kill Tess, she turned around and it was Gwyn in a Trisha wig.

A lot of that, and some 1994 scenes, can be found here.

You can see Jeremy's funeral episode here.

For some 1987 material, try here and here.

German loving.

2 1984 and 1989 episodes here.

Early 90's episode.

Some 1983 clips of Ann Williams.

Part of 1988 episode.

A lot of discussion and old articles and recaps.

Coldit

Coldit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 7:19 AM

I think the "figure it out" was just in the recap episodes that ran because of all the preemptions from the OJ trial.

Was it really? I have a distinct memory of it turning up on the screen whenever a scene with a legitimate clue was being featured in the regular episodes. But hey, I'm getting old, my memory could be playing tricks.

Trisha had amnesia and there was some speculation she was the killer. Then when Steffi saw "Trisha" trying to kill Tess, she turned around and it was Gwyn in a Trisha wig.

The wig, yes! Okay now I remember -- thanks. Why would Gwyn want people to think it was Trisha? I'll have to watch those to remember.

I didn't hear about Anthony Herrera, how sad.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 7:48 AM

You might be right about it showing up in regular episodes.

Gwyn turned into Trisha when she plotted murders and committed murders. She said Trisha had done nothing but hurt people, so Trisha was able to do what she could never do, like kill Curtis, Clay, Isabelle, and Cabot and Stacey.

It was the memory of killing Jeremy that really sent Gwyn to suicide, maybe because, aside from her love for Jeremy, she also knew there was no rationalization for why Trisha would want to kill him.

lguadiana

lguadiana

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gcgMVbo9hvI Here is some clips of Perry Stephens and Lauren Marie Taylor who played Jack Forbes and Stacy Forbes