The Little Rascals / Our Gang: Don't Drink the Milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

44 replies to this topic

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 9:31 AM

I didn't like the ones when Spanky was already like 15 years old.

My most favorite is the camping trip. Spanky and Scotty are too little to go with the older kids. But they go anyway. When supper time comes, Spanky and Scotty are the only ones who have food. Whenever I watch that short, I can't help to think that was a really thick slice of bread Spanky is spreading with jam.

There are others that I like, too.

But here's a question: Why did the kids think Alfalfa was a terrific singer????

moblogo

moblogo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 2:43 PM

Chubby -- being called "Chubbsy Ubbsy." I use this all the time...

I do that too! Don't call me Norman, call me Chubbsy Ubbsy.

Another one, obviously when a certain vegetable is on the table: It might have choked Artie, but it's not gonna choke Stymie.

SyracuseJean

SyracuseJean

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 3:07 PM

My fave episode has to be the one where the Our Gang kids run away. Spanky & Alfafa have Petey and try to get cake & cookies from a Mom & Pop store by saying how hungry their dog is. They get dog biscuits. Then Porky & Buckwheat take a dog they find and try the same- but they get everything they wanted because the shop owner (and also sheriff of the small town) overheard their story about running away. They ask for things like pie, and cookies, and pieces of cake- I remember Porky asking for "Two teampuffs." then Buckwheat asking for "Two more teampuffs." The clincher was when they asked for chewing gum- the sheriff guy says "Oh! The dog likes chewing gum, heh?" They take their loot on out to Alfafa and Spanky who are gnawing on dog biscuits. They all start eating their ill gotten gains when the sheriff asks who will pay for the food. Cut to the next scene where they are all in striped outfits breaking rocks in the backyard.

My kids know to ask for stuff by saying the dog wants something. To which I always reply "Oh! The dog likes (insert kid pleasing item like Gummy bears here), heh?" And by which I usually end up laughing and giving the monsters what they want.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 12:33 PM

Anyone remember that short in which Spanky and his brother had a really cheapskate dad who refused to spend money on bug spray? I always wondered if the guy playing Dad was drunk throughout the whole thing, because boy, he didn't sound sober.

My local TV station must've had a bad copy of that short, because it always ended abruptly with Dad suddenly (and bewilderingly) having a change of heart about his miserly ways and saying tearfully "I'm gonna spend all my money on Mother (his wife) and the kids."

SyracuseJean

SyracuseJean

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 1:44 PM

I'm a fan of the one that was Darla's father's birthday and they all keep singing "Happy Birthday Mr Hood" and presenting him with weird animal presents (if I recall, a duck, a frog, and a kitten). I like to sing made up songs to my kids and this one gets used up a lot. That and Mr Hood saying to his wife "Look Mama, a duck..." with obvious distaste of getting said present. If I get presents I don't like- that's what I say.

and to clarify a prior question:

here's a question: Why did the kids think Alfalfa was a terrific singer????

Music hadn't been invented yet.

Edited by SyracuseJean, Sep 6, 2007 @ 1:46 PM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 1:58 PM

Happy birthday Mr Hood, happy birthday to ya!
To make your birthday turn out great, I give this present to ya!

ubiquitous

ubiquitous

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 8:19 PM

But here's a question: Why did the kids think Alfalfa was a terrific singer????

I assumed it was because the little girls were so smitten with him (yeah, that's ANOTHER mystery!) they didn't notice and the guys just enjoyed laughing at him and his surreal performances (like the time he blew bubbles as he sang and the time firecrackers went off in his pants).

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 10:52 PM

Another one, obviously when a certain vegetable is on the table:

It might have choked Artie, but it's not gonna choke Stymie.

I thought it was something like, no Artie is gonna choke me!

Happy birthday Mr Hood, happy birthday to ya!
To make your birthday turn out great, I give this present to ya!

Heh, you beat me to it iMissEthan!

I'm a fan of the one that was Darla's father's birthday and they all keep singing "Happy Birthday Mr Hood" and presenting him with weird animal presents (if I recall, a duck, a frog, and a kitten

.) I actually felt bad for the father. Remember he finally thinks he going to eat and there's nothing but bones on the chicken(or whatever they were having for dinner)

Katrinawitch

Katrinawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 12:56 PM

I got my kids the full Our Gang series on DVD for Christmas this year, and they love it! It's all of the Hal Roach talkie shorts, the good ones, but thankfully doesn't include the much later ones with Froggy/Robert Blake (which all pretty much suck).

Memories of this series define the childhood of me and a lot of my friends (I'm 46), since it always seemed to be on after school or on weekends. Watching them again brought back so many memories! Are they a bit racist? Yes, I guess, but I take it as more of a product of its times.

We had a "young Spanky" marathon last night, and watched a lot of shows when Spanky was practically a toddler, and wore the golf cap and checkered wacky golf pants. He was so, so cute! We loved the one where Spanky has to watch the babies, and ends up gluing them to the floor/putting them in cages. Remarkable! Also featured around this time frame were Dickie Moore and Wally Albright, two of my other favorites. And coincidentally, Turner Classic Movies showed a bunch of episodes last night, and some of the early silent Our Gangs this morning. Good times!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 6:25 AM

I noticed they were playing several eps and silent shorts on TMC yesterday, presumably as part of a Hal Roach theme for some reason.

How55

How55

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 12:58 PM

Remarkable! That this thread came back to life. I grew up w/the Little Rascals. Even though most of the episodes I remember (and this goes back a long time - more than 40 years) were the Spanky/Alfalfa cast, my favorites were the Wheezer/Stymie/Jackie Cooper etc gang. I remember the line as "it may choke ol' Artie, but it ain' gonna choke ol' Stymie".
There were definitely racist moments in the shows. I found some DVD collection in the library about a year ago & took it out for old times sake. It had some silent episodes, and the collection was basically a running history of the cast w/a few episodes from each "generation". The earliest films were definitely uncomfortable to watch.
When I was a kid I remember an episode w/Farina & a baby Stymie, I think, being diapered by the mother, & she had a container of baby powder that said "flesh color" & when she shook it out it was dark - who knows what color it was as the film was B&W.
That episode where Spanky who was barely 3 or 4 himself had to baby-sit the infants, is one that I remember most, either because they ran it so frequently or it was one of the first I ever saw.Also very funny. Boy did he abuse those kids, dropping them on the glue etc.
I also used to throw around the phrases too, like "I want my 44 cents" .

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

I loved the Little Rascals as a kid too, and also Robert Klein's routine on it when I discovered that as a teen.

I remember baby Spanky in a crib hitting bugs crawling on the wall with a shoe (I think). At that age, there's no way they were getting him to do anything, right? I think they just rolled cameras and got what they got.

Edited by braggtastic, Jan 6, 2011 @ 1:19 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 2:29 PM

Remarkable!

Hee! I can hear it now.

How55

How55

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 3:18 PM

I loved the Little Rascals as a kid too, and also Robert Klein's routine on it when I discovered that as a teen.

I remember baby Spanky in a crib hitting bugs crawling on the wall with a shoe (I think). At that age, there's no way they were getting him to do anything, right? I think they just rolled cameras and got what they got.

Wow, thanks for linking that Robert Klein snippet - even just hearing that little clip ..... he has the music & segues spot on. I remember listening to that one over & over. I don't want to go to school today. Me either!
Was the Spanky as a baby episode that same one where they're trying to get him to pose for the photographer & he keeps smacking the guy in the face.

Dr Smith

Dr Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

It was great seeing Our Gang on TCM the other day. I Never saw the silent ones growing up. Also can't forget Eddie Murphey as Buckwheat from the 80's. Buckwheat's Greatest Hits