Sell This House

• Please log in to reply

1067 replies to this topic

addicted_aardvark

addicted_aardvark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

I wonder how well Roger's one-trick pony shtick works in the current housing market. Are the current shows 2008 shows?

I can't imagine that people actually daring to buy in today's environment will opt for an "adequately" painted house furnished and decorated with sheets over either a more polished home or even a less polished one at the same price.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2008 @ 1:53 PM

The new show today in Pine Bluffs, Wyoming was the first time (I think) that Tanya never mentioned why the homeowners were selling. It was sort of odd, considering that she did say "Pine Bluffs is a great place to raise a family." Or did she give the reason, and I missed it?

That was one small town! Perhaps the HO's were longing for big city life, bright lights, and excitement. Nah!

tall1az

tall1az

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 6:30 PM

At least one of the sequence of shows each Sat. is a 2008 show. There are references in the beginning of many of those shows to the poor housing market.

Candynecklace -- I didn't hear her give a reason for the move, either.. but maybe they wanted a little more civilization.

Basically, with the limited time and budget he has, Roger has done some pretty amazing things. I do get tired of taking all the chairs out of a dining room table setting (well sure, that makes the room look bigger) and the HUGE centerpieces he uses a lot.

Since the furniture and window coverings aren't going with the house anyway, I think his spare, clean look at least allows people to see their own stuff in the house. And, the painting always looks good -- everyone says fresh paint is the cheapest way to add value.

I just saw a new STH (at least, I think it's new) and, I was so interested in the house (although, Arizona really looks beautiful), but more curious about the homeowners. There were three guys living together and I am still not sure who actually owned the housed or what the whole relationship was. There were two older gray hair guys who were heavy set and some younger guy with dark hair. Did anyone see this? Have any ideas about the 3's Company plot? I know this has nothing to do with designing and me just being nosey.

buttheircousins-- I saw that show, too. I take a special interest in the AZ ones since I live there. Yes, AZ is beautiful, down in the desert or up in the mountains. That show was in the Tucson area. They never really said what the deal was with those three, but they were interesting!

Edited by tall1az, Aug 8, 2008 @ 6:34 PM.

SmithW6079

SmithW6079

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2008 @ 12:56 PM

I started catching this show again, and while I agree that Roger's ideas aren't always the best or the most cutting-edge (one he did recently where he painted a wall or two black was absolutely awful), they don't spend tons of money or pretend that they've been able to redo rooms with granite countertops and hardwood flooring and stainless steel appliances for under $2000.

I get a kick out of how Tanya refers to Chad as "Design Assistant Chad" almost everytime she talks about him, and I've noticed that Roger helps out more than he used to.

Miss Dee

Miss Dee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 8:21 AM

I agree that Roger doesn't exactly go hog-wild in his decorating, but I wondered if that had more to do with the fact that he's *restaging* a home, rather than redecorating it. I'm sure I read somewhere that when staging a home, you have to make it look homey and showcase all its best attributes, but at the same time you have to make it nondescript enough that the potential buyers can see all of *their* stuff in the house.

(In fact, I thought it was someone on this board who'd said that - but I just went over all the posts over the last few pages, and I didn't find it anywhere. I can't remember now where I heard it.)

ETA: Oh crap, just saw it literally two posts ahead of mine. Blame it on an early Sunday morning and a late Saturday night.

Edited by Miss Dee, Aug 17, 2008 @ 8:22 AM.

Lordloveaduck

Lordloveaduck

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 12:50 PM

Did you see the one he did of the beach cottage, owned by a chunky blonde woman who had tons of stuff (including some nice blue glassware), huge overstuffed furniture, and star decals on the ceiling in her bedroom?

He made it look very cute when it was finished, mostly by dumping the clutter, painting the bedroom and the kitchen, and showing off some of the blue glassware. I was pretty appalled that in painting the kitchen cupboards, they just slapped that paint right on there, painting over the hinges and everything. No prep done that was discussed.

Looked good though when it was finished. Proof that even an itsy-bitsy tiny house can have its charm if you just don't overload the place with doo-dads.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 7:00 PM

Did you see the one he did of the beach cottage, owned by a chunky blonde woman who had tons of stuff (including some nice blue glassware), huge overstuffed furniture, and star decals on the ceiling in her bedroom?

No. Was that the new show yesterday or is it an older one?

Lordloveaduck

Lordloveaduck

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 8:17 PM

I don't know if it was new or not. I was suffering from Olympic overload and just flicked on the HGTV channel to see what was on, and that was it.

I think the house was on the Delaware shore, if memory serves. It was a teeny-tiny house, maybe 700 square feet, with one bedroom, a rectangular living room/dining room space, and a small kitchen (but with good cupboard space for its size), and I guess one bath, maybe plus a 1/2 bath, don't recall.

It really didn't need much beyond the decluttering and painting and re-arranging of some furniture. The homeowner seemed to be one of those people who can just never let anything go. She had some furniture that she had brought with her when she downscaled from a much larger house, and the scale of the furniture in the beach house - cottage, really - was just all wrong. It blocked the attractive fireplace she had, for starters. And there was a pleasant screened-in front porch that seemed to be a repository for an antique doll and just all sorts of random, miscellaneous stuff. Once that was cleared out the whole place got a breath of fresh air.

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

Actually, the house was in Ocean Park, a neighborhood in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. That show also featured the real estate agent planting flowers in the yard while the work was being done on the house.

My house guest and I were shocked at the Victorian/Renaissance fantasy house in Fort Lauderdale (shown on Aug. 23); I suspect the real estate agent must have called the show in desperation.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2008 @ 4:28 PM

Did anyone else see the loft episode? I think it was in the Northeast somewhere. It had a screaming yellow kitchen, and tons of plants. Roger used a ton of burlap (!) to make curtains and a tablecloth. I thought that was tacky, even for Roger.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 7:51 AM

Burlap? Really? Not a bedsheet, straight from its plastic packaging and un-ironed? For Roger, that's pushing the envelope.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 11:18 AM

Did anyone else see the loft episode? I think it was in the Northeast somewhere. It had a screaming yellow kitchen, and tons of plants.

I only caught the first few minutes of that one, so I didn't know Roger used burlap. Isn't that awfully 1970's? Sheese.

I know we realize that the show is on a minimal staging budget, but I still think they could step it up one notch and be a little less utilitarian. Do none of the HO's own a tablecloth? It doesn't seem like it, since the good old sheet is almost always doing double-duty as tablecloths and curtains.

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 11:24 AM

Do none of the HO's own a tablecloth?

What I'd like to know is why none of them seem to own an iron. The "crisp white sheet" doesn't look all that crisp right out of the package. Heck, they could even run it through the wash and that would at least get most of the creases out.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 12:24 PM

Burlap? Really? Not a bedsheet, straight from its plastic packaging and un-ironed? For Roger, that's pushing the envelope.

Yup. Really burlap. He was using it for the curtains, and the tablecloth, and Tanya even asked if there was a sale on it somewhere.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 3:23 PM

That had to have draped REALLY nicely. I can just see Roger attempting to "puddle" burlap curtains... it would've looked as though someone left a potato sack lying around on the floor. Eewww.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 3:59 PM

That's pretty much what it looked like, although he cut them to where very little puddled on the floor.

ILNative

ILNative

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 10:31 AM

Dimitri must be the reincarnation of a gay decorator c. 1985. That is the only explanation for how a TEENAGE boy was responsible for that hideous house.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 1:47 PM

Dimitri must be the reincarnation of a gay decorator c. 1985. That is the only explanation for how a TEENAGE boy was responsible for that hideous house.

Hee! That house was quite formal for the most part. I kind of agreed with the openhouser's who thought it looked like a funeral home/museum. I've never seen a chandelier in a living room before that I can remember. It looked odd. I did like the chandelier though. (Am I tacky?) And the pink & burgundy? Too much, and I love both those colors. Where was that anyhow? (City, State). I missed the opening segment.

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 10:49 AM

It was Manchester NH. Which made me cry because I live about 15 minutes away from there !!! I totally would have been stalking Roger and Tanya if only I knew.

I did a quick MLS search and couldn't find this home anywhere - sold or not. I can say that $400,000 is way too high for that area so hopefully they reduced their price after they staged it.

butheircousins

butheircousins

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 5:47 AM

I'm not sure if this was a new or old episode, but Roger covered a pool table to make it look like a dinning room table. The funny thing was that it still looked like a pool table with an ugly (and, a extra large) tablecloth. It was a good try, but I don't think he pulled it off. Did anyone else see it? All the others rooms turned out really well, but not the pool table trick.

Edited by butheircousins, Sep 15, 2008 @ 7:08 AM.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 6:52 AM

I don't know why he didn't use the over-sized table that was in the kitchen? Maybe the pool table was to much of a hassle to remove.

Edited by livinggreen, Sep 15, 2008 @ 12:40 PM.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 8:58 AM

I thought the covered pool table-cum dining room table in the family room was totally stupid, not to mention fug. Then I figured that, as livinggreen said, it was too big a hassle to remove. We used to have one, and it was a bitch to move.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

But there was that custom home in soCal a few years ago where the HO had a ginormous pool table in an small upstairs room, and Roger turned it into a tv room... then again, the HO knew how to take the table apart. Never mind.

Miss Dee

Miss Dee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 1:07 PM

My brother's girlfriend and I came to the conclusion that the vases and flowers were too tall for the pool table, and that's what threw it off. If they'd gone with an arrangement that wasn't so tall in itself, I think it would have looked better.
I dread someday walking into a new boyfriend's home and realizing that it looks like *that*. :)

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 7:43 PM

I thought the covered pool table-cum dining room table in the family room was totally stupid, not to mention fug.

As long as he accessorized with some of those fancy pot passers, I don't see a problem.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

A covered billiards table still beats cardboard boxes for furniture. I don't think I'll ever forget that one, especially since it was shown weeks after Chastity Bono got thousands of dollars of donated furniture and original art to furnish her bungalow.

Elle34DD

Elle34DD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 11:14 PM

A covered billiards table still beats cardboard boxes for furniture. I don't think I'll ever forget that one, especially since it was shown weeks after Chastity Bono got thousands of dollars of donated furniture and original art to furnish her bungalow.

OMG! I remember both of those. Like isn't it better to have an empty room rather than flimsy faux furniture made from cardboard? Wouldn't that be more distracting???

Stacey Lou

Stacey Lou

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2008 @ 8:29 AM

Oh, that was awful with the cardboard furniture! And, once again, perpetuating the myth that buyers are so stupid that they can't figure out what the rooms are used for. Another myth they prolonged 2 weeks ago (the three men in the marvelous home with all the personal photos), "People see all your pictures, and feel how stongly it is your home, and can't live here" or some such crap. And the "customer" at the beginning feedback time who said, "Boy, they must really like themselves." Gah!!! (Although I do think photos should get packed, they're clutter and distracting.)

Elle34DD

Elle34DD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2008 @ 10:16 AM

I just caught the last 10 minutes of a show this morning. And it's typical Sell This House with Roger flexing and Tanya whining. Roger removes 80% of the furniture, does some hokey arranging, uses twin sheets for curtains and tablecloths. Tanya does all the painting and furniture moving.

The house looked too cluttered so they left just the table in the diningroom (no chairs). And in the livingroom, one loveseat and a game table floating off in the middle by itself. Honestly, I hate it when they say potential buyers can't figure out a space. But truly, the new arrangement would have confused me --- I can picture a room without clutter. Bizarre mismatched sparse furnishings are much more distracting. And to me would question future furniture placement. Even stage it like a "normal" house or leave it bare. JMO....

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2008 @ 10:56 AM

ITA, Elle! I just saw the ep too, and the home went from way too much furniture to rooms with sparse furniture that was completely useless to the space. The dining table with the blue checkered sheets and no chairs, because they were sporadically placed randomly elsewhere? How stupid did that look!! Nice re-placement of the bed, but the rest of the space was empty except for a small desk against a wall. Can't Roger do anything more to make it a little more inviting?

This is one episode where I think I could have done a much better job at staging the place, complete amateur that I am.