Sell This House

• Please log in to reply

1067 replies to this topic

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

I happened to catch the Seattle young couple/cluttered condo ep yesterday; I'm not sure if it was new or not. Mostly I noticed that Roger seemed kind of beaten down by all the mess and wasn't able to work his usual magic. The place, though certainly tidier, still looked pretty blah afterwards.

It sold, though. So a feeble yay for that.

kimmako

kimmako

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:05 AM

There was a lot of clutter! I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't clean up more for an open house. Or maybe they were told not to. Who knows?

greengirl

greengirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:40 PM

I, too, was shocked at just how bad the "before" state of the condo was. Poor Roger, but at least the HO's didn't argue about changes as much as usual.

It amazes me when they don't agree with re-painting a room (usually to a more neutral color). People!! The goal is to sell the house - you're not planning on staying for a significant amount of time, so who cares if the walls are white and not "gates of hell" magenta!

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:06 PM

Just checking in, as a realtor I can try to address some items.

First, everyone grew up in different households, their levels of "clean" are sometimes drastically different from ours. I had to go to a client's home one day to get signatures, they knew the night before that I'd be there. When I arrived they had trash barrels overflowing, the kitchen floor was covered with food crumbs, and last night's dinner leftovers were still on the table. So they may not care when then look at a dirty house. And, amazingly their house was currently for sale and sold for $490,000. So go figure.

Many people do make the mistake of thinking that people will overlook their clutter and poor decorating taste. Unfortunately, studies have shown that a customer will decide if they want to buy a house in a matter of seconds of walking through the front door. And you never have a second chance to make a first impression.

Personally I think Sell This House is a godsend, and I hope everyone that wants to sell their house watches it. It's extremely difficult to tell a client that they need to clean their house, hopefully they'll get the hint from the show. We have a brochure that we give out that tells people how to get their home ready to show.

Another great idea is renting a storage facility and moving out all of your big furniture. Makes your rooms look so much larger when they're not overflowing with junk.

Kim

Kim

Network Executive

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:24 PM

I was amazed by the condo clutter too, but at least the couple seemed to expect that they would be told to change it. Which begs the question, why not change it while their condo was on the market for a year?

The female homeowner in the first episode bugged me a little because she didn't seem to get that she was moving out of the house. When they painted the built-ins white, she was like, "I'm going to keep it like this!" Well, actually, you're not. But maybe the new owners will.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:47 AM

I saw a show on E!, I think, last weekend called Beverly Hills Real Estate or something similar. Anyway, one of the segments was about a women who stages houses. Since this was Beverly Hills, the houses she works with were selling for three or four million dollars. What she does it load new houses with furniture and accessories (all for sale, BTW) so that they look lived in. She charges anywhere from $20K to $50K for her services.

I was intrigued to hear that home buyers not only don't like clutter, they apparently don't like empty houses, either. I always figured "empty" was a great look, but I guess people not only can't see past other's paint colors, they can't even envision what to do with a blank canvas.

The stager woman claimed that sellers get a 10% to 20% increase for the price of a house after she's done. I don't disbelieve her exactly, since STH show has proven that buyers are weird, but goodness! A 20% increase is several hundred thousand dollars more for these particular houses. I was left wondering if, in the same situation, I'd be that gullible.

TexasTallGal

TexasTallGal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:32 AM

I was intrigued to hear that home buyers not only don't like clutter, they apparently don't like empty houses, either. I always figured "empty" was a great look, but I guess people not only can't see past other's paint colors, they can't even envision what to do with a blank canvas.

We've always bought empty houses but that's because we tend to buy new homes. (We're on house #4 with a few rentals in between.) The homes for sale that I don't understand are the ones in which the HOs have 'almost' moved out. They're empty except for maybe a bed on the floor, a folding table in the kitchen, and a TV and some camp chairs in the living. Either move out completely or leave your stuff there so it looks homey.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:34 PM

When you think about it, what the show does is to try to make resale homes show like a model home. He uses the same techniques that designers who furnish model homes use.

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:17 PM

...Many people do make the mistake of thinking that people will overlook their clutter and poor decorating taste...

While I understand what you are saying and totally believe that you are right, it still amazes me that people are that stupid. It's one thing not to like the wallpaper or carpeting or cabinet fronts that can be costly or a pain in the ass to change; and if you want the place to be move-in ready, even paint color can be a deterrent, however, if you don't like their furniture... that's just stupid. They aren't leaving it for you! I caught an episode over the weekend and the visitors were complaining about the doilys! The doilys!!! What? The family is going to move out and take all their furniture and leave the doilys lying about helter-skelter for the new owners to dispose of? Yikes, Attack of the Killer Doilys!!!

--What is the plural of doily, anyway? Doilys? Doilies? Neither looks right. Doileys? Doillies?

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:04 PM

Even though it seems incredibly stupid, some people are incapable of looking at a room and imagining it empty and really looking at only those things which are actually part of the house. Many people comment on taste in furniture, etc. Now if you're talking about wallpaper, flooring light fixtures, then those are valid comments, because those are part of the house.
But the inability of some people to picture a room empty is the reason that you have someone whose career is "staging" homes for viewing.
For other people, seeing a home empty is a problem, because they seem mystifed as to how furniture could or should be placed in a room, or they can't picture what their own furniture might look like in a particular house. This is why models are often shown furnished.
My personal preference would be to see a home empty, because then you can really concentrate on the condition and maintenance of the the house, and see what needs to be repaired or replaced. Lots of furniture and clutter can hide serious defects, which is why it would put me off as a potential homebuyer. Secondly, if a person is sloppy and uncaring, it would make me wonder about how well the house has been maintained. If a person is too messy to clean and declutter, could they possibly have been reliable about caulking windows and changing furnace filters?

ChelseaNH

ChelseaNH

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:22 PM

What is the plural of doily, anyway?

Doilies. I know, it doesn't look right. Neither do doilies....

Another reason model homes are staged is to persuade prospective buyers that they're purchasing a lifestyle, not just a house. "Buy this house, and you too can live like this!" That's why they'll have the dining room set up for a dinner party, or stage bedrooms for children of various ages. Roger does this, too.

I need some new episodes.

ChelseaNH

ChelseaNH

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 9:45 PM

Woo-hoo! Don't know if it was new, but it was new to me. This was the giant Manhattan apartment, with the bedroom smack inside the front door. Man, what a drool-worthy space. Great floors.

I missed the first bits, so I don't know if they explained anything about the layout. However, once they flipped the floor plan, the kitchen was off the bedroom and completely isolated from the living and dining rooms. So that was just odd.

nichelle

nichelle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 11:25 PM

I just watched that 'drool-worthy' space episode on TiVo. The space was actually 2 one-bedroom co-ops. They knocked out a wall and made it into one huge space. Of course that means that they have 2 bathrooms (great) and 2 kitchens (huh?). They were using one of the kitchens as a storage closet. One of the entry doors to the space was broken and the only functioning one opened into what they were using as the bedroom (a living room in its former life). I'm still not sure why the couple didn't just fix the door instead of having people enter into their bedroom.

Anyway, the flipping of the layout seemed to do the trick.

I'm going to try and stop drooling now. If I remember correctly it was over 1500 sq ft. Nice.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 8:32 AM

Well, crumb. From the cable guide info, I thought this was a repeat of that other (two-level) NY apartment, so I didn't watch. It sounds interesting, though; I'll have to try to catch it later.

Edited by queasy, Jan 19, 2004 @ 8:33 AM.

Kim

Kim

Network Executive

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:26 PM

That Manhattan couple was weird. I don't understand how the one door was broken. It opened, right? So how else could it be broken? And if the lock or latch was broken, couldn't someone break into the apartment anyway, since it did open? I wish they had explained that, since it was the whole reason the couple had that funky setup.

And why did they have their bed floating in the middle of their bedroom? Their whole apartment was just weird (although definitely amazing for the amount of space they had in midtown Manhattan). And the kitchen and bathroom were so ugly, for a couple that seemed to have a specific sense of style. And then at the end, they decided not to move?

Weird episode.

Rimerr

Rimerr

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 4:10 PM

And then at the end, they decided not to move?

I always wondered if someone would decide not to sell their house after Roger worked his magic. I guess this answers my question. Although, I would fear that if I didn't sell it like I said I would, Roger would come over and beat me senseless. I think he is capable of doing major damage to a body.

Dree

Dree

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 5:59 PM

I thought the couple was seriously weird, as well. But I couldn't put my finger on why, other than she looked like a vampire, and he seemed tohave social interaction problems.

And the door business really confused me too.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 6:52 PM

I always wondered if someone would decide not to sell their house after Roger worked his magic.

That would never even occur to me. I mean Roger is all about creating a clean slate, not about creating a home. Not to mention a number of his projects are quick fixes that would most likely be changed by a new owner.

MegaDoof

MegaDoof

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 9:40 PM

That Manhattan couple was weird.

\
Yeah, he was a science fiction book editor and she was... something, I don't remember now. But I think "science fiction book editor" is the key info-nugget here.

Edited by MegaDoof, Jan 19, 2004 @ 9:40 PM.

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 10:20 AM

Yeah, she was definitely odd, but in a trying-too-hard kind of way. Just like having the bed in the center of the floor. This signifies that they are "different" and "out there".

My main problem with her is that she did virtually nothing in the way of helping out, other than fold some clothes.

I guess editing science fiction pays really well....that was one beautiful apartment (aside from non-views and apparently un-fixable door) in a really nice neighborhood.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 10:46 AM

That Manhattan couple was weird. I don't understand how the one door was broken. It opened, right? So how else could it be broken? And if the lock or latch was broken, couldn't someone break into the apartment anyway, since it did open? I wish they had explained that, since it was the whole reason the couple had that funky setup.

\
There are a surprising number of people who opt to own rather than rent, who are completely ignorant about the most basic home maintenance. They have no clue as to how, or even why things should be repaired. Case in point: one of my neighbors had so much organic debris in the rain gutters of her house that seeds had actually taken root and plants had sprouted in there. At first, when I pointed it out to her, she thought it looked pretty and unusual, totally unaware of the severe damage it could cause to her roof and walls. It never occurred to her that rain gutters needed to be cleaned out periodically.
When the lino in her kitchen wore through to the previous layer and began lifting in spots, her solution was to randomly pound nails into the lifted spots.
When she finally put her house up for sale, she had the nerve to complain b/c the buyer wouldn't give her top dollar for the place!

Edited by jerseydevil, Jan 20, 2004 @ 10:47 AM.

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 11:33 AM

Case in point: one of my neighbors had so much organic debris in the rain gutters of her house that seeds had actually taken root and plants had sprouted in there.

When the lino in her kitchen wore through to the previous layer and began lifting in spots, her solution was to randomly pound nails into the lifted spots.

jerseydevil, I didn't realize you lived next door to my mom!

TexasTallGal

TexasTallGal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 12:02 PM

Doesn't Step 3 in Sell Your Home in 60 Days sound exactly like what Roger does?

Tosia

Tosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 11:10 AM

Hey, there was a new episode on yesterday! Tanya looked great in boots and Roger looked extra good in whatever it was he was wearing.

An mid-older couple (but the guy had an earring) with an lavish home with all white furniture (including all white grand piano) in all the rooms! Brrrr!

Roger says: Take out plants; take out entertainment center. Reposition furniture. Get rid of tchochkes and photos. Warm it up with some color. And voila! They sell in a month for just under their asking price of $725,000 (after 5 mons . on the market).

I didn't get why people had not started packing when they decide to see their homes--but then with this moneyed couple, I figure it was because they get other people to do it. They hire a moving company! Doh!

The other major factor is just having someone objective look over the place.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 1:15 PM

I didn't know whether this was a new episode or just one that I missed.

Seeing it helped me realize something that I think would improve the show. I'd rather NOT see the open house video, but would prefer that Roger just REFER to the comments when explaining how he's going to stage the house.

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 2:27 PM

Hmmm, I liked the white. I agree that they didn't have the living room [or whichever of the 53 rooms that was] furniture placed correctly and it looked too long, but I love the open feel that a mostly white home has.

I've decided that this show frustrates me. I can understand clearing out the clutter, but the people they show these houses to are idiots. Big, open rooms and they can't see any potential until someone moves a couch. "Oooo, now I can see how my furniture can fit into this house!" "This house is a piece of crap because, uhh, there's an elephant picture!" And maybe she doesn't want you sitting around staring at her when she plays the piano! What the hell do you care? Her and her piano don't come with the place! Sheesh.

I really cracked up when the announcer/whoever said the buyers in the area were very intelligent and that's why they have to make superficial changes. To fool the very intelligent buyers! Because I can move a couch and all of a sudden these sooo-intelligent buyers think that the room they just saw 3 days ago suddenly became bigger!!! Or cozier!!! Or whatever!!! Mensa-buyers!

Oops, sorry, I have to stop my rant. I rolled my eyes so fiercely they rolled onto the floor and I can't see the keyboard...

kimmako

kimmako

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

Mensa-buyers!

This just cracked me up, and I don't know why. Thanks, Chillin.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 3:38 PM

I forget if it was on STH or some other show, but I recently saw one couple who complained because some tchotchkes in the house they were looking at were dusty. Like, "Ew, I'd never buy this house!"

...joining the eye-rolling bandwagon.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 4:32 PM

"This house is a piece of crap because, uhh, there's an elephant picture!"

BWAH!

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 9:10 AM

I think the people in the Open House segment are a bunch of idiots as well. You should have seen the condition the house we bought was in. It was nasty! But the realtor kept insisting, "Look past the fugly carpet, and the fugly kitchen, and the huge but poorly kept backyard, and see its POTENTIAL!"

Which is how we got a 2300 square foot house on 1/3 of an acre for $85,000.00. It was an absolute steal.

The thing that cracked me up about the people in the all white house was when the grumpy older guy insisted that one of the couples from the initial open house not be allowed to return. Hee! That SO sounds like something I would do.