Roundhouse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

45 replies to this topic

NutherDimension

NutherDimension

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2004 @ 2:22 AM

Does anyone remember the episode about the first Gulf War and there was someone trying to surrender? Some kind of media critique? Yeah, very vague. They did do some subversive things here. Of course, they also had the awesome dancing with chairs, in front of a row of mirrors (that was totally cool!), with trash can lids. I want to see this again just for the early-mid 90s fashions.

I also somehow remember this song they sang about being embarassed by Sex Education classes in school: "Sex education/Why do we have to learn this stuff?" And then it went into this crazy section with "hilarious" sound effects put in place of words, like "Did she really <sproing>? In the <beep, beep>?" I swear, one part had a sound effect like a guy getting hit in a, well, very sensitive region. I'm really not making this up!

JoeyTango

JoeyTango

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

I remember this show having a new semi-lead singer every season. They had the redhead, then they got this blonde who wore ripped jean shorts and fishnets. I loved that girl.

The dad was great, though. I loved the episode about how much he loved his remote.

'now I don't mean to gloat, now let me tell you about my remote...
I can turn it up
turn it down
change the channel
mute the sound
it's got mono and stereo!'

or something. Nick needs this kind of stuff now.

Starving Artist

Starving Artist

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 1:24 PM

Oh, man, I *loved* this show. Anyone remember the Cinderella episode where Prince was actually "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince?" That was awesome.

And Newsies, haha. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with an obsession. Of course, I may be the only one who puts the DVD on "sing-along" mode and forces her friends to watch....

JoeyTango

JoeyTango

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 1:01 AM

I remember the episode I saw the most was about being popular. So of course they decided to go with the 'Don't do things that would be wrong to be popular' tack.

So then when cute redhead girl from season 1 starts to think about what it means to be popular, three or four other cast members become a pinball machine and do things like...

Help a football player cheat! 400 points! Snort a line off a math teacher! 200 points! Wear leg warmers! 1000 points and so on.

Luna_S

Luna_S

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 1:58 AM

'now I don't mean to gloat, now let me tell you about my remote...
I can turn it up
turn it down
change the channel
mute the sound
it's got mono and stereo!'

Oh. My. God. I used to love that episode. I remember at one point in time in middle school I actually took the time to write down the words to that song. Ahem. Yeah. Anyways.

This semester the two dancer guys that used to do all the flips came to my university. I REALLY wanted to go see them but my friend was in a play that was opening that night, so I didn't get to go. For some reason I really loved the mom and dad on the show. I remember in the last episode they did this thing where the dad ran out and was all, "Come on, we never get to dance!" Then he and the mom started dancing around to the "dance-bump-to-commercial" music.

JoeyTango

JoeyTango

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 10:55 PM

This semester the two dancer guys that used to do all the flips came to my university. I REALLY wanted to go see them but my friend was in a play that was opening that night, so I didn't get to go. For some reason I really loved the mom and dad on the show. I remember in the last episode they did this thing where the dad ran out and was all, "Come on, we never get to dance!" Then he and the mom started dancing around to the "dance-bump-to-commercial" music.

That dad, man. He was the glue. I still check ebay sometimes, hoping they put the chair up on it. He was ten times cooler than the white trash dad on You Can't Do That On Television, who was, to use a term from the era, Badical.

Man, I miss the way that Nick used to cater to teens. Remember how all the shows were aimed at kids from like 8 to about 15?...with Roundhouse being for the older kids?

What else...Welcome Freshmen, Hey Dude, and even Clarissa, to an extent.

Edited by JoeyTango, May 4, 2004 @ 10:55 PM.

TaffySusan

TaffySusan

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 9:23 AM

The redhead is Crystal Lewis. She is a big christian performer. She still has a beautiful voice, I think she has a website.

My favorite was Miki Duran, she never got to sing but she was a big time dancer on the show.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 9:29 AM

Of course, they also had the awesome dancing with chairs, in front of a row of mirrors (that was totally cool!), with trash can lids.

Wow. I just realized that Stomp totally ripped this show off.

I want to see this again just for the early-mid 90s fashions.

Hee. Flannel button-down shirts. And floppy dancer hair. *sniff* I miss the Silver Age of Nick.

JoeyTango

JoeyTango

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 9:38 PM

Hee. Flannel button-down shirts. And floppy dancer hair. *sniff* I miss the Silver Age of Nick.

Leave us not forget ripped jean bootyshorts and fishnets.

AntsMarching81

AntsMarching81

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

Man, I can't believe that there is a thread about this show...

It was definitely my favorite when I was younger, back when kids' television was actually GOOD.

I'm slighly embarrassed to admit that I have every episode on tape - and I still watch them on occassion.

calalily

calalily

Couch Potato

• Interests:my dog, trail mix, choir

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 3:56 PM

AntsMarching - you should have a Roundhouse party! That would totally rock...

Count me in as one of the pleasantly surprised people when I found this thread. I used to LOVE it - never missed an episode. I remember the theme song very well, and for some reason I remember the Christmas song, too. It was something like:

World, find love, find peace - tonight

And then there were people chanting stuff in the background like, "There's a voice that's crying in the distance"... I even went so far as to transcribe the melody in to a music book. Wow, good times.

The only sketch that I vividly remember for some reason was a takeoff on "Fame!" - but instead they called it "Lame!" And they all stood inside that big cardboard TV frame and acted stuff out.

Ah, the memories!

cuiusquemodi

cuiusquemodi

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2004 @ 1:57 AM

I recently discovered a tape of an episode of this show whilst cleaning the trash heap that is my room. Is this show available on DVD or something?

syphax

syphax

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 7:21 PM

Good times man, good times. My brother and I used to RUN home to catch this show! Not that we wanted the other more "hood" kids to know...But I just can't for the life of me remember one cast members name, and that saddens me.

waterski184

waterski184

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2004 @ 5:30 AM

No Way! Nobody I've ever talked with remembers this show. It came on when I was like 6, I think but still!

I can't remember enough about it to add to the conversation, but I still know the theme song, which rocked. Now I know I wasn't crazy and making it up. Good times.

college kate1

college kate1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 1:30 AM

OH MY GOD!

I just find this board. I was a total Roundhouse nut. In fact, I recently found all episodes of the four seasons on VHS on eBay. I bought it for less than $25.

I was probably 11 or 12 when I first saw it on SNICK. I remember loving the fashion and dancing. I idolized Micki Duran. I thought she wore the coolest clothes and had the greatest hairstyles.

Now that I watch the episodes as a 20 something year old, I realize how many jokes I probably didn't get back then. I mean, how many 12 year olds know about Taxi Driver? John Madden? the LA riots? Silence of the Lambs? etc. So even though I'm watching a kids show now, I'm still laughing at stuff I know I didn't back then.

My friends and I memorized a few dances when we were younger. I thought they were sooo cool. I, too, loved the TV on Trial ep. I also loved all of season 2-- summer job, technology, best friends, independence.

I hope this board is still active...cuz I'd love to talk to people about this!

Odyssea

Odyssea

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 3:57 AM

Squee! I've never met anybody else who watched this show! It was my absolute favorite part of Snick back in the day. Remember the Madonna spoof with her traffic-cone bra?

college kate1

college kate1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 4:45 AM

Squeeing right back.

Remember the Madonna spoof with her traffic-cone bra?

Oh yeah! It was from a first season episode...The New Kid. I can't believe that was filmed in 1992! It does look way dated.

Remember all of their funny skits combining two people--
Paula Abdul Jabar (sp)- "It sings, it dances, it does the sky hook"
Totally Pauly Simon- Pauly Shore and Paul Simon as one musical act
I can't think of any more of the top of my head...

I also really liked the songs--some of them were really well-written. I especially liked the lyrics to the Christmas ep song-- "Be still, find peace tonight." and the fear episode-- "My heart's been broken, so many times now..."

One of my favorite skits, of course, was the Tori Spelling Bee. I loved it, can't believe Aaron Spelling got so childish over it.

I also loved-- "the scariest family in the neighborhood--The Jackson Family!
::::Addams Family theme::::
"They're creepy and they're spooky, mysterious and kooky. The Jackson Family. They're mysterious and broody, the women have big booties. The Jackson family! The men are all girlie, they all have gericurlie, they make you want to hurley, The Jackson Family! Tito! LaToya! (Michael comes moon walking in ) Oh boy-a!

Odyssea

Odyssea

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 3:14 PM

Speaking of scary, remember the two girls, Amanda and Jennifer, who were such best friends they started wearing the same pair of pants and eventually got their DNA combined, becoming Mandifer?

Edited by Odyssea, May 13, 2005 @ 3:15 PM.

kidcore

kidcore

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 8:52 PM

I can't believe you guys remember so many of the sketches! This was one of my all-time pre-teen SNICK shows and I can't remember anything from it. Except the theme song. Which I like to belt out on a near-daily basis. I also remember having a tiny girlcrush on Miki. She was the South Asian looking girl, right? Didn't she play the popular girl in that episode and had a waiting list for people to hang out with her? The only other thing I remember is trying to copy the dance moves at the end. Oh and a Thanksgiving sketch about the "kid's table." The parents offer to cut the older guy stuck there and he says something like "I'm quite capable of using my own cutlery." It was the cutlery that did it for me. I think I spent the rest of the school year making cutlery jokes.

college kate1

college kate1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 1:53 AM

Kidcore, it's sad and scary how much I know about Roundhouse...but then again, I do have all of the eps on tape.
Micki Duran, I believe, is actually part African-American, Hispanic and American-Indian.

I think season 1 and 2 are better, in regards to being written funnier and having better songs (Crystal Lewis was the strongest RH singer).

But, season 3 and 4 had better dancing. Some of the dancing was even a little risque for a NICK show.

Which actor did you have a crush on? I loved Dominic (I was so sad when I learned he died), Mark and most of all Ivan. Although I think Ivan was featured as the "lead" way too often.

More funny skits--summer vacation ep in season two, when they parodied a bunch of summer movies-- Geriatric Park, Weekend with Bernie's Arm, Coathanger.

Another great one-- "First there was Rescue 911, then came Beverly Hills, 90210...Now, from Schlock Entertainment comes Rescue 90210"
Alfred Carr playing Shatner: "it was a day like any other day for brenda walsh, but a day she would never forget. she headed off to school normally one day until--
Julenne playing probably Donna: "Brenda, look! Kelli's wearing your exact same outfit!
Micki as Brenda: "Aw!!! The horror, the horror!

lavenderbrown

lavenderbrown

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2005 @ 7:21 PM

Oh man I was so little when this show was on but I remember it! (All That, which I loved in the early years, was kind of a ripoff except without the singing and dancing).

I have 2 Snick videos (that I found at Big Lots of all places) and there's Roundhouse episodes! One of them is the Family one and there's this song they sing called "We're a family, we're a family, and you're stuck with me like it or not!" haha LMAO. Wow.

I also find it hilariously amusing that two of the guys were in Newsies (def. my guilty pleasure).

DylanMChadley

DylanMChadley

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2005 @ 1:38 PM

Man, I love this show. In fact, my user name is from RH. Remember the Abusement Park episode? "Dylan Mark Chadley. It's three, three, three names in one."

I laughed out loud every week when RH was on. I still do when I watch my old tapes. I had a huge crush on Micki, and I wouldn't be surprised if I still have entire episodes memorized. A friend of mine suggested making a RH CD, so I went through and found our favorite songs, transferred them to the computer, and burned a CD of songs from the show. It's geeky, but we like it.

For more on the show, check out the Easychair Expressway.

Edited by DylanMChadley, Aug 3, 2005 @ 12:09 PM.

college kate1

college kate1

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2005 @ 3:30 PM

Aww...Dylan! Mark! Chadley! Excellent user name. I was also a Micki fan. She was like my idol when I was a wee pre-teen. Have you visited this site? Lots of current Micki news/pics.

I wish this thread was a bit more active. I could go on and on about my RH obsession. In fact, did anyone ever go to a RH taping? I would have made my parents take me to one (or several) if I lived in Orlando and then Hollywood, but I grew up in the midwest.

Schwarzstrom

Schwarzstrom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2005 @ 3:59 AM

I loved this show! I can't believe there's a thread--whenever I mention it offline, people look at me like I'm making it up.

My absolute favorite bit was with the dad and his cool armchair on wheels. I remembered him singing "kids, what's wrong with these kids today" and thinking it was the funniest thing ever. I can remember his voice perfectly.

God, Nick actually used to have smart shows on it.

DylanMChadley

DylanMChadley

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 8:08 PM

In fact, did anyone ever go to a RH taping? I would have made my parents take me to one (or several) if I lived in Orlando and then Hollywood, but I grew up in the midwest.

Same here. I always wanted to see a RH taping. But my vacations never coincided with RH's schedule.

RH cast member sighting: When you're waiting in line for Space Mountain at Disneyland, check out the new safety video. It stars Bryan Anthony from season 4. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

Edited by DylanMChadley, Aug 25, 2007 @ 3:58 PM.

catboy

catboy

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 11:04 AM

Oh wow I love this movie! Patrick Swayze kicking arse all over the place and Ben Gazzara sneering up a... Oh wait. Roundhouse. Never mind.

keepcoolfool

keepcoolfool

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 5:27 AM

I can't believe there's a thread for this show. Haha. I barely remember it but I did watch it a bit (mostly 'cause it would be with my older brother). I was so little though, like 6 or 7.

I think the only thing I remember is a sketch where this guy wanted to get tanned to get girls or something. Everyone was tanned but him.

Oh and the dad with his chair! I do remember that. And the dancing. I didn't watch the show that much because I was little and didn't get it. But now I suddenly have the urge to watch all the episodes and feel all fuzzy inside.

Edited by keepcoolfool, Jul 28, 2005 @ 5:30 AM.

Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2005 @ 10:22 PM

This is one of the first television shows I recall watching as a child -- it was like a Saturday Night Live for kids, but there was always some lesson to be learned at the end. Also, the theme song was dope. Are there plans for a future Nick Rewind Collection DVD release?

rhfan

rhfan

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 7, 2005 @ 8:09 AM

AAHHH i cant believe there is a on-going forum for roundhouse! this is my favoritist (i know i know, not a real word but oh well lol) show EVER!

i have a roundhouse yahoo group if anyone is interested in joining

http://tv.groups.yah...oup/RHFan4Ever/

also there is a petition to try and get roundhouse on dvd, so you should all sign it!!

http://www.petitiono...D/petition.html

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2005 @ 12:46 AM

Just got my hands on an old episode of Roundhouse, and it's even more impressive now then when I first saw it. And I'm 10 years out of the original target age range. Truly one of the most underrated kids shows ever. Sure the fashions and humor are a little dated - but they're good.