Ryan's Hope

• Please log in to reply

9213 replies to this topic

Kyle B

Kyle B

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 7:41 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't mind Robin Mattson too much as Delia. She has a limited acting range, but I've had a soft spot for her since "General Hospital". She played Delia the same way she has played all her other characters. Sure, she was different from Ilene, but so was Randall and she worked out.

Marg is quite good as Siobhan; it's just that her Siobhan seems like a different character than Sarah Felder's. Marg's Siobhan isn't quirky like Felder's, and she's a whole lot tougher. But she wasn't Felder's direct replacement and Felder's memory had faded, so her portrayal worked. Carrell Myers directly followed Marg, and was just a pale imitation of Marg's version of Siobhan. She only lasted a year or two. Barbara Blackburn, the final Siobhan, was the closest to Sarah Felder's out of all the replacements, and I thought she was excellent.

Kathleen never showed up when Katie Thompson was on the show. I'm not sure what happened with Katie and Dave Greenberg, but they were a cute couple.

I've always thought there were five Franks (Michael Hawkins, Andrew Robinson, DHK, Geoff Pierson, John Sanderford). But according to IMDB, there was a sixth, Don Scardino (who now directs "30 Rock"), in 1981. Does anyone know anything about him? Was he a temp during DHK's run? Or did he replace DHK right before Frank was written out, a la Robert Finnocoli as Pat?

whisper

whisper

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 8:00 PM

Was he a temp during DHK's run?

Yes, he was a temp Frank for a few episodes and it was several months BEFORE DHK left. I recall DonFrank in a winter coat. It's while Frank is still engaged to Faith at that point and Little John keeps sneaking off to see Jill. Although Don is older, he actually looked much yonger than DHK.

Lee H

Lee H

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

So, I only saw a moment from the start of this a.m.'s coupling. Barry was in his secret room (I swear they kept the set from the "Old House" of Dark Shadows) and writhing on the floor in pain. What the heck? Had he been booted in a certain part of his person?

I did, however, see the second half, and I've rarely enjoyed anything on RH as much as Rae's behavior at the wedding. Just wonderful. A masterpiece of perfect timing--Shaffer was brilliant. And Roger was marvelous in his horrified embarrassment.

Kimberly was her usual so-so. Seneca was... there.

The Ken/Frank conversation was interesting--I kept looking for any hint of confrontation, but Frank is apparently many details away from a clue. Nothing new there, I don't reckon.

Edited by Lee H, Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:25 AM.

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

Oh man, today's highlights include Roger putting Barry in traction and a very inebriated Rae breaking up during the May/December nuptials. Great stuff!

Amy, Ryan's new babysitter is getting creepier by the minute and I had to laugh at the notion of Ryan being in any way animated off camera (as at Weehawkin St.) b/c she's very low key every other time we see her.

And Curious George pumping Frank for details of their lives - so he can leave Jilly in good hands when he takes his place among the Celestial Choir - back row(? That was kind of repulsive knowing how he's been schtupping his fiancee.

Lee H

Lee H

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 1:01 PM

Rae was at the wedding?

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

So, I only saw a moment from the start of this a.m.'s coupling. Barry was in his secret room (I swear they kept the set from the "Old House" of Dark Shadows) and writhing on the floor in pain. What the heck? Had he been booted in a certain part of his person

Sadly no. He was lounging around his lair with Lily; she was in bed, and he leaned from a standing position to kiss her and his back went out.

Rae was at the wedding, Roger talked her into it. LS plays drunk very well, even without Polly.

minirth

minirth

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 12:08 AM

Lee H, oh, it wasn't just Rae at the wedding -- it was Drunken!Rae! at the wedding! It was awesome. Schaeffer started out with bursts of uncontrollable giggling and snarky asides to Roger. But right when you thought she was going to blow the wedding out of the water, she got herself under control. The wedding concluded, and he kissed the bride. Whereupon Rae whispered, in truly agonized tones, "Kim, I'm so sorry". I cannot describe how beautifully she delivered that line -- it was perfect. Roger got her out of there, and Kim cried on Seneca.

Kimberly was her usual so-so. Seneca was... there.

BWAH! Yes! Exactly that! Although his hair seems to be less aggressively brown these days. I guess that's something.

Edited by minirth, Feb 4, 2010 @ 12:09 AM.

Lee H

Lee H

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 8:36 PM

Oceanblue and Minirth,

Thanks!

Wow. After this a.m.'s experiences with Amy the disturbed babysitter and the extremely shy Ms. Freemantle, Jack might be wondering if it pays to get up in the morning.

laverne

laverne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2010 @ 1:30 AM

I cracked up when the judge asked if anyone had anything to say and Rae looked over her shoulder and said, "Jill?"

Soap Fiend

Soap Fiend

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2010 @ 6:31 PM

I spent last night and all day today until I could finally place the demure Ms Freemantle: Leslie Denniston (married to ATWT Don Hastings). She made quite the soap rounds RH, ATWT, GL. All I could think of was that she played a character named Maeve on GL. According to the IMdb, on Law and Order, she played a character named... Sara Felder!!!

One of the things I like best about watching RH is finding all these "new" old faces. My DVR never makes it all the way through the credits so I get to go crazy until my brain can come up with the actor's name. Soap Opera Detective Fiend, that's me.

The kind of interesting thing about Jessica Freemantle was that she was willing to sleep with Jack BUT still not make a space for Ryan... a subtle twist on the old double standard. It made me chuckle to hear that she would keep Ryan on her waiting list if Jack kept HER on HIS!! LOL

grumpymom

grumpymom

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 1:12 PM

I thought it was a little creepy that Ms. Freemantle looked so much like the last Mary, although in Jack's fantasies, he sees Mulgrew Mary. Just seemed weird to me.

I like Amy the Psycho Babysitter. I know they're setting her up for something, but I think she plays the fragile/wounded girl thing well. Is she the new Poppy Lincoln? Soon to disappear from the canvas to find her lost Irish relatives?

Rae's collection of silky caftans just kill me. All she needs is a matching turban, and she's Joan Collins. I'm glad that they have ceased to hot roller her hair to 20x normal volume. Her hair needed its own zip code.

I'm fast-forwarding through any Jill/Ken Bored Jones scenes. Just tell me when he's dead, and Jill ceases to be a Zombie Groupie.

Edited by grumpymom, Feb 7, 2010 @ 1:00 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 1:31 PM

Amy does basically leave after she has a breakdown and kidnaps Ryan. She is sent somewhere to get a lot of professional help. It's a decent storyline, one of the last before RH becomes a big mess (for me). They also remember the rooms Tiso had put in the Crystal Palace for drug-smuggling -- that's where Amy and Ryan hide.

Kyle B

Kyle B

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

Rae is one of the few reasons to watch the show these days, caftans and all. I don't get the lack of focus on the Ryan's - now with most of the kids offscreen. It's completely detracted from the appeal of the show. I understand that it gets worse, too.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 10:32 PM

It does, but one good thing about the short showing is that we never have to see the horror known as Kirkland's Hope.

grumpymom

grumpymom

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2010 @ 11:22 PM

Stevie91199, I'm not sure you needed to spoilerize that plot development, since that plot is pretty much written on the wall with Amy's "You're my baby now" speeches to Ryan.

Kim's flirtation with the Producer Guy? Just when I thought she had hit rock bottom macking on Old Seneca, ew. Just ew. I like the way that Rae continues to manipulate Kim's life by throwing her weight behind Kim's "career" so she won't be inclined to have a baby. Rae, FTW!

Is it true that Rae sleeps with Michael? How does she justify that?

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2010 @ 7:58 AM

Grumpymom, it is true and she doesn't feel the need to justify it.

Lee H

Lee H

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2010 @ 7:55 PM

From another forum, I got this link to Kaye De Lancey Hentschke's Facebook photo. This is what Amy the crazed babysitter looks like these days: Amy

By the way, Roger seems downright demented these days (which is cool). I started watching RH shortly after John Blazo came on and a bit before Roger and Dee got married, and Roger seemed saner, and definitely less (obviously) evil. Is this an earlier Roger coming back? I suspect as much....

whisper

whisper

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 12:22 AM

Thanks, Lee. Kaye De Lancey looks wonderful.

By the way, Roger seems downright demented these days (which is cool). I started watching RH shortly after John Blazo came on and a bit before Roger and Dee got married, and Roger seemed saner, and definitely less (obviously) evil. Is this an earlier Roger coming back? I suspect as much....

Roger has been known to be quite mischievous. He gets an evil little grin and you know he's up to something. ;-)

mustardseed

mustardseed

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 4:01 AM

I love this show, and though I know I am in the minority in my enjoyment of Jill and Ken, I am hoping someone(s) out there can help answer a couple questions for me, just in case anyone wants to stand in for Claire Labine. Forgive me if they have been covered before:

1) Does anyone know if the Ken character was supposed to last a bit longer, or was it a planned limited run? A rock star of Ken's magnitude (ha) wouldn't likely be a permanent character, but there have been a few in the soap world. It seemed that once he and Jill became romantic, the storyline stopped for a bit, then resumed with the ominous signs of Impending Soap Doom.

I think he is sweet and I recall being a big fan of the storyline when I first saw it on reruns some years back. Watching it now, the pacing and storyline seems a bit erratic, but I think this was around the time the originators had to sell the show to ABC so that may be the reason. Or it could be because no one (but me) wanted them together, and believed that Jill would actually cheat on Frank after all she had been through with his affair with Rae.

2) Does anyone know why Tom was written off as he was? Just when he and Faith had reunited and were so in love, and just when I didn't want him to leave for Ireland or lock him and Poppy up in the secret bedroom, he was just as swiftly gone. It was so quick I wondered what was the real story.

Thank you in advance for any back story or behind the scenes information. And I am glad to find this forum. Truly a few of the great characters in all of soap history, as well as some of the best writing.

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 12:41 PM

Kaye De Lancey looks wonderful.

She does look great - reminds me a little of Randall Edwards today.

I couldn't say how long they planned Kenny G's character, but I tried to find a current picture of him and he seems to have dropped off the planet - no old RH pics, no Facebook profile. No way to tell if this was his only acting gig.

I love that Faith has her antenna up on this (Jill's infidelity) and I must say her wardrobe has improved of late. All that hair is a bit much (but very cool for the time), but she's finally dressing like a sophisticated physician, practicing or not (and why not, come one, no one even remembers you almost killed Johnno!)

I don't know why they let Tom MacGreevy (T. Desmond) go, but I have to admit I was ready for it!! Speaking of looking good - check out Poppy today. I was surprised I didn't recognize her on OLTL as the third Dr. Paige Somethingorother.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0624661/

I'm glad to see old scheming Roger is back - I wish I thought he and Dee would reunite before SN stops the run, but I don't think it happens. Plus it gives Rae more to do than tsk tsk her baby daughter. Just the thought of Seneca wanting an 18 year old to bear him a child gives me the creeps.

Does Soapnet traditionally start off at day one or do they give it a breather for a while?

Is this Rose Molino a love interest for Jack?

I thought Dee had forgiven Johnny's loan? I'm pretty sure I heard her say that to him back when she was rescued from Prince Albert.

Everything seemed to have a pinkish tone to it today - must be those old tapes?

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 2:02 PM

I love that Faith has her antenna up on this (Jill's infidelity) and I must say her wardrobe has improved of late.

Faith is always good at finding faults in others. I noticed that even before any affair started, Faith was trying to plant doubts in Frank's mind by being oh-so-shocked that Jill would leave Frank for London when his name was being cleared.

I couldn't say how long they planned Kenny G's character, but I tried to find a current picture of him and he seems to have dropped off the planet - no old RH pics, no Facebook profile. No way to tell if this was his only acting gig.

I posted a while back a clip of him from late 1984 when he was a minister on Guiding Light. Here he is.

I think he did stop acting not too long after that. He has writing credits which start around 1982. Trent Jones was a writer for many years, he wrote for GL, then Y&R. I believe he was fired around 2006 or so, the time that Lynn Marie Latham gutted the show's backstage personnel.

Rose is a love interest for Jack, yes. I really liked them together. Unfortunately, don't get attached, because she will be gone by spring 1981, thanks to the writers' strike.

Does Soapnet traditionally start off at day one or do they give it a breather for a while?

They've run the show consecutively for over 10 years now. The only time there was more of a gap was about 5 years ago when they decided to just start showing 1 or 2 episodes on the weekend and none during the week. At the time I assumed they were phasing the show out, but they apparently changed their mind if they were.

I think he is sweet and I recall being a big fan of the storyline when I first saw it on reruns some years back. Watching it now, the pacing and storyline seems a bit erratic, but I think this was around the time the originators had to sell the show to ABC so that may be the reason. Or it could be because no one (but me) wanted them together, and believed that Jill would actually cheat on Frank after all she had been through with his affair with Rae.

I liked the story too. He was ridiculous as a rocker but I thought he was an interesting character and since he was so different from the other men in Jill's life I could believe that she fell for him. It was one of those whirlwind romances which never would have lasted in the cold light of day.

I think they always planned for him to only be around a few months.

I think they killed Tom off because they had nowhere else to go with him and they wanted to build up to the Faith boozer story.

Lee H

Lee H

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2010 @ 5:53 PM

Karen Morris-Gowdy did a great drunk scene. Everything was right, including Frank's behavior, Faith's non sequitur remarks, and the inevitable hang-up. It's always cool when a complicated scene goes as planned.

Maeve had little to do in last night's second episode beyond making Maeve faces, though she did (for what it was worth) offer one strong opinion about the Dee/Roger divorce, which sort of bounced off Dee, as usual. Though this Dee is quite a good actor, she often seems too sweet for the part. Even when she's being evil, she registers hurt more than anything else. In my opinion.

I love the Dee/Maeve bond--Maeve really cares about her. And Dee's relationship with the Ryans seems more solid and less about Dee. Too bad Barry's there to mess everything up, soap-opera-fashion.

I've been catching RH on and off lately, so maybe my question is a dumb one--but... doesn't Roger already have enough to turn Dee against Barry, given that Barry is screwing (around) on the side? Why does he need to delve further into Barry's history? Isn't there a danger he'll come to admire the guy, given all the two have in common?

Just wondering....

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 10:34 AM

Faith is always good at finding faults in others. I noticed that even before any affair started, Faith was trying to plant doubts in Frank's mind by being oh-so-shocked that Jill would leave Frank for London when his name was being cleared.

It's funny how we like certain characters and hate others and nothing they do changes our opinions - like I hate Seneca and will never like anything he does and oh how I enjoy Kimbo's manipulations of him, so I see that Faith should have had a reaction about that (I did too - how could Jill blow off something this important to her fiancee for what amounts to a (as far as Frank knows) business trip?) but getting back to Faith - I felt I better understood her in her drunken ramblings about her sibling rivalry with Jill who was 2 years older and beautiful, petite etc. I haven't seen all of epi #2, but I hope she tells Frank about what she saw. He has the right to know and I don't give a crap about how much Jilly loves her Guitar Guru or how soon he bites it (well actually I'm counting the days), the fact remains she is in a committed relationship and she is fcuking around on him and Frank doesn't deserve that as far as I can see. He has his faults, but he doesn't deserve this from Jill.

I love the Dee/Maeve bond--Maeve really cares about her. And Dee's relationship with the Ryans seems more solid and less about Dee. Too bad Barry's there to mess everything up, soap-opera-fashion.

All I can think is how the hell can Mauve even look at this woman given the crap she's dished out to her two sons, but that was a different Dee and a different actress and I will agree she comes off too sweet at times. And Mauve is her only mother figure and Mauve has never turned away a stray waif apparently.

I've been catching RH on and off lately, so maybe my question is a dumb one--but... doesn't Roger already have enough to turn Dee against Barry, given that Barry is screwing (around) on the side? Why does he need to delve further into Barry's history? Isn't there a danger he'll come to admire the guy, given all the two have in common?

I think Roger has the fact that 'he saw' Lily coming out of Barry's hospital room at 2 a.m. and some cryptic clues from Loony Lily but nothing concrete. And as we saw Dee isn't listening to anything Roger says about Barry, suspecting ulterior motives.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

so I see that Faith should have had a reaction about that (I did too - how could Jill blow off something this important to her fiancee for what amounts to a (as far as Frank knows) business trip?)

I thought since the trip had already been planned, and Frank was initially supposed to go before Kimbo shocked them with the papers, it made sense for Jill to still go, especially since she was already with Frank when he found out, the rest would be his family reacting. It was the later stuff with Ken which I thought gave more reason to be suspicious.

It was that passive-aggressive way of saying it which drove me crazy. Oh Frank, why isn't Jill here on your big day? Gee, never mind! That was the type of thing Faith would have spit fire at if Delia had done it, because that was a classic Delia move.

but getting back to Faith - I felt I better understood her in her drunken ramblings about her sibling rivalry with Jill who was 2 years older and beautiful, petite etc.

I think those scenes work on some level, but for me they would have worked better with the first Faith, Faith Catlin. Faith was dumpy and awkward. I know they say that this Faith was that way when she and Jill were young, and I know childhood and teenage scars never go away, but this Faith is gorgeous, has expensive clothes, and has men who worship her. Faith making it all about her and her resentment of Jill seems to have come out of left field, as did Bob's love for Faith, Faith's feelings for Frank, etc. I don't think Faith had any reason to keep Jill's adultery a secret, but all this being about Faith's pain annoyed me. The last few years of this Frank and Jill became all about Faith and how she suffered, and since I am not very fond of this character, I had little patience for it. Especially since Faith's pity parties about the past often neglect to mention that while Faith's parents doted on her, Faith's mother hated Jill and made her life very uncomfortable.

Speaking of Faith, here's a made up confrontation between Karen Morris Gowdy and Jim Reilly. It's all very bizarre (and RH was already months off the air by April 1989) but it's...interesting, I guess.

Edited by steve91199, Feb 11, 2010 @ 10:55 AM.

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

since Faith's pity parties about the past often neglect to mention that while Faith's parents doted on her, Faith's mother hated Jill and made her life very uncomfortable.

Ah, now I didn't know that! I actually never saw Ed Coleridge - it seemed that he had already died fairly early in the show. I know what their relationship actually ended up being (won't spoil even though I'm not sure we'll see any of it this year) so I guess I understand Faith's mother's hatred towards Jill. So apparently all Faith's blatherings were her besotted invented history. Ed Coleridge didn't favor Jill? For me this worked better without Faith Caitlin who still gives me the willies just remembering her 'Faith.' I can't even imagine her and Jill as siblings.

Oh well, I loved her new sun dress!

I have to wonder though, had Frank insisted Jill come to Washington instead - would she have balked? I think she had bedding Old Kenny G in mind the whole time, but then I can't stand her these days so that's in my mind I guess. I could have puked during their whole 'you complete me' bullshit out on the deck.

Those Youtube things are very strange and very funny sometimes. The GH ones are hysterical.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 12:19 PM

Ah, now I didn't know that! I actually never saw Ed Coleridge - it seemed that he had already died fairly early in the show. I know what their relationship actually ended up being (won't spoil even though I'm not sure we'll see any of it this year) so I guess I understand Faith's mother's hatred towards Jill. So apparently all Faith's blatherings were her besotted invented history. Ed Coleridge didn't favor Jill? For me this worked better without Faith Caitlin who still gives me the willies just remembering her 'Faith.' I can't even imagine her and Jill as siblings.

I suppose from Faith's point of view, Ed might have favored Jill, in the episodes we never saw, but when RH started, Ed was somewhat distanced from Roger, close to Jill but in a more adult, professional fashion, and extremely close to Faith. Faith depended on him. He was Faith's world. He always seemed very fond of her and I never felt like he was just humoring her or that he preferred Jill.

Early on, to help establish her character, Jill spoke very frankly about how she had always been made to feel unwelcome by the Coleridge mother. At that time Jill and Faith were very close and there was no resentment from Faith towards Jill. I felt like the resentment came out of nowhere with this Ken George Jones storyline. On the one hand, this is good conflict, but on the other hand, Jill is subjected to a great deal of ugliness and being ostracized and blamed for problems in the Frank/Faith relationship which were there even when she stayed away, and Faith makes sure this hostility goes back to even before Frank was an issue. It gets to the point where Faith basically calls her a thing who slithered into their family.

Edited by steve91199, Feb 11, 2010 @ 12:20 PM.

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2010 @ 12:35 PM

I meant to add that I was surprised that Roger didn't set up a situation for Dee to catch Barry in the act, but today, she got it straight from the whoreses mouth (oh sorry that wasn't fair, but I couldn't resist!)

Well I have to say I really enjoyed Faith's giving it to Jill, even though Jill still doesn't think she did anything wrong or that it had to hurt Frank b/c well, what he doesn't know.....or somehow she can divide her emotions to accommodate two men in her life, which I don't buy, and maybe Faith is self-righteous here, but we all get that way. She's spent a lot of time with Frank of late and I think it natural for her to be angry given the situation. I suppose this is the beginning of Frank and Faith, which I am interested in seeing as long as it involves these actors.

Too bad Jilly didn't take the opportunity to explain to Frank how she can love two people and keep them separate so the doofus of the two doesn't get hurt, but as soon as she figured out that Faith didn't actually rat her out, she kept up the lie. I've lost all respect for her.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2010 @ 1:10 PM

or somehow she can divide her emotions to accommodate two men in her life, which I don't buy, and maybe Faith is self-righteous here, but we all get that way.

I think my problem with Faith is I just generally see her as self-righteous by nature. It's just that this usually went for those she and Jill had deemed unworthy, like Delia (even before Delia had done anything to Jill or Faith they looked down their nose at her). Now she has turned it against Jill.

My other problem with this story is that for many years, Frank accommodated his emotions for two women in his life, to the point of having a child with Delia, using her for his political career, all while continuing to cheat on her, so even though I do feel somewhat sorry for Frank, and think Jill should have been honest with him about not wanting a marriage or having feelings for Ken, my sympathy only goes so far.

I wish they had done a story where instead of the adultery being a secret, Frank and Jill had learned Ken was dying, and Frank tried to put up with Jill and Ken spending time together, and Ken loving Jill, but finally could not take any more. Then Jill could have slept with Ken, or they wouldn't have had to make love, it just would have been an emotional affair, which can be even more destructive to some relationships.

The way the story has been told just feels plot-driven to me and cheapens the characters.

Edited by steve91199, Feb 12, 2010 @ 1:11 PM.

WesternLady

WesternLady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 12, 2010 @ 11:46 PM

RH comes on during the 3:00 a.m. hour in my time zone, so sometimes I catch it if I'm suffering from insomnia, so I'm way behind.

Did Frank find out about Jill's London trip, fringe benefits included?

Does anyone else out there really want to bitch slap Kimmie? God, that snatch annoys me! And I don't think much of Sennica (sp).. not much you can say about a man whose name is dangerously close to a laxative.

Don't even get me started on her mother. And those kaftans she wears are disgusting.

If Roger was for real, I'd totally go for him, in a real nasty, bad-boy type way.

molasa

molasa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2010 @ 10:35 AM

Is it just me, or is Senneca looking alot like Tom Jones lately?