Ryan's Hope

• Please log in to reply

9213 replies to this topic

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Just thought I'd give you guys a 'heads up' that Judy has posted on the RH proboard that she will no longer be posting episodes on YouTube.

She said she will continue through episode 730, April 1978. Those episodes include Pat finding out about Delia on the cruise, Seneca confessing the truth about Edmund's parentage to Jill, and Frank and Jill getting back together.

Will she continue the episodes at her website? If not, it's a shame. I thought we had found a nice community of fans. Do you know if she means that she cannot post beyond 730, or just isn't interested in doing so anymore?

whisper

whisper

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

She is stopping at 730. I've been told that she said there had been a loss in viewership.
I recall when she first began putting them up, there were some epsiodes that had 600 or 700 views. There's been a big drop off.

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Yeah definitely strange to see people at the beach in the water in December
though I do remember my sister had her Sweet 16 in early November 1976
and it was so hot they had to turn on the AC at the restaurant she had the party at
(this was in NJ not a warm weather state).

I suggested she still post them just not as many,
I mean even 2 or 3 a week would be better than nothing,
truthfully 10 a week was too many (especially since she posted them all on Monday and Tuesday).
5 a week was probably perfect but if it was too much work then even 2 or 3 a week would be better than nothing.

Edited by scott16, May 27, 2012 @ 4:56 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

There seemed to be a lot of infighting over the clips and I didn't even know if we were supposed to watch them. Since these aren't stories I especially enjoyed in the first place, I lost interest. I don't think it's the same when they aren't on TV and we don't have that certain set schedule and community spirit. At this point I'm mostly looking to some day where I can see 1982.

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Yeah I'd like to see 1982 episodes too but they never showed them on the Soap Network so I don't know if anyone has them?

whisper

whisper

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

I mean even 2 or 3 a week would be better than nothing,

At 2 shows per week, it would take over 9 years to get to the end of 1981... until 2021!

At 3 shows per week, it would take over 6 years...until 2018!

I'm not sure how that pace would increase the number of viewers. In fact, I can see it turning even more off by going that slow.

Edited by whisper, May 28, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I didn't realize there were once 600 views, but still, if it's such a PITA, upload them on a slower time table. Well for some reason Judy never seemed too keen on doing any of this which always made me wonder why she got us all excited in the first place, lol. To me, 150 views or even 100 is certainly worth putting them up once or twice a week. I don't suppose she'd just leave them there posted on YT?? Is it b/c of copyright infringement b/c it would seem to me that you she'd be less likely to run into a problem there with 150 viewers than 600 or more, but what do I know.

Oh well, it's summer and there are bound to be less viewers (and we are missing several here) and IA with Steve and our a.m. timetable. I used to enjoy watching with b'fast and posting later in the a.m. from work and we have lost posters with these particular episodes although we have pill-crazy Pat now and the end of KM in the role of Mary (with a backburnering of same I believe).

I do wish I could see the last 7 years of the show though, but it seems as if those episodes cannot be found online in any continuity.

The wedding episode (can't remember the epi #) at 14:18 the back button of Mary's fugly 2nd wedding dress is undone. I wonder why no cake-in-the-face photos this time around? They would seem to be a bit more meaningful. Mary certainly did look dowdy and if you are going to wear your hair up, get some decent dangle earrings to show off. That sailor collar did nothing for her either. I'm sure she was also wearing sensible shoes.

I shudder to think whose closet they locked up Fenelli up in and I certainly hope they were going to give the poor thing food water and a litter box and not keep in that carrier.

Maeve in her mauve Sunday-go-to-meeting dress - Johnny should be ashamed for not buying the woman a proper dress for her daughter's 2nd wedding. She puts that filthy green apron over it too to clean up the bar. I love when Maeve sings, but LMAO at Tom's mouth - I'm beginning to believe he's a mouth-breather.

This is the last time I'll probably see the Ireland episodes, so it kind of makes this final showing bittersweet. A big attraction to watching the show is the memories it gives me of my mom and her lunch tray with Maeve's brown tea pot steaming. I think of that every time I hear the theme music - I will miss that most of all.

And the fun we all had here!

Pat's all nervous and jerky! You have to wonder why it takes a couple of doctors so long to see their colleague so under the influence.

Jill and Rae are fun adversaries. At least we get to see Seneca brought to his knees over his lies and Jill reunited with DHK's Frank if I'm not mistaken.

Dee has terrible taste in wallpaper!

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

Did anyone capture the episodes Judy already put up?,
it's pretty easy to download videos from YT but you need to make sure you got them
(sometimes it downloads files with the same file name that are only 1.7MB so it's not really the videos).

mkaylady

mkaylady

Just Tuned In

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I had suggested back when SoapNet stopped airing RH that we all contact them and protest their taking off RH. They are only showing reruns of GH over and over again. I am sure they could find five hours a week for RH if they realized that there are people still interested in watching it. Everyone on the other board seemed so happy that someone had volunteered to do it that they did not seem interested in contacting ABC/SoapNet. I had a feeling the posting would not last because relying on one person can be a bad idea. It seems that the person who is supplying the episodes does not want to suppy them anymore either. Whatever the reason I find it very sad because this site and the other one will not stay active without episodes to watch. I still think people could contact ABC about putting RH back on SoapNet.

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Mkaylady I fear it's too late for that - Soapnet is slowing dissolving into yet another Disney Kiddie channel (for the mothers who are up for a two a.m. feeding and so their sucklings are predisposed to watching Disney/ABC/ESPN from their mother's veritable breast.)

ABC (who owns SN) is pretty clear on wanting to be completely out of the soap business and I'm pretty sure a few hundred people who want to watch a 35 year old soap won't matter to them at all. If there were a few hundred thousand possibly.

Episode 633 mentions Wolf Tone whom I'd never heard of before (not to be confused with the band of the same name). Thought others might be interested.

mkaylady

mkaylady

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I thought SoapNet was supposed to go off the air by now which is why I never pursued it but it seems they are still on the air as SoapNet with no end in sight. I just may send them a letter asking about why they took off RH just to play reruns of GH. I don't think it will change anything but, what the hell, right?

I am sure there are more than a few hundred interested in watching. It dwindled to that because watching online is a lot different than having it to watch on TV. I would bet that even playing it in the middle of the night they got a lot of viewers as well as people recording it, at least as much as who watch GH. I am a GH fan but I don't watch the reruns. If they were classic reruns, maybe, but what they are showing, no.

Edited by mkaylady, Jun 1, 2012 @ 7:02 PM.

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

This new Mary isn't bad probably a lot better than the later Marys
but she looks more like somebody who should be playing Faith she also seems similar to the second Siobhan too.

Also by now you would think that everyone on this show especially the regulars would know not to go down those back stairs at the hospital, At least Delia didn't do the comic fall like Frank did.

Edited by scott16, Jun 5, 2012 @ 2:47 AM.

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:12 AM

In episode 655 the actress who played Michelle on the first Bob Newhart show
works in the records department of the Hospital when Roger tries to get the records of Mrs Brown,
Also Bucky goes all Imelda Marcos with the Shoes(for Angel)I guess the writers making the point that he owns a shoe company.

And finally Daniel Hugh Kelly shows up as Frank in episode 656.

Edited by scott16, Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:16 AM.

mkaylady

mkaylady

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Has everyone stopped watching?

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

I've never watched the clips, but I'd love to hear anything you have to say about the show.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

The new Mary is better than I remembered.

I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Sandara

Sandara

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker. Can anyone tell me if Ryans Hope is being shown anywhere? I like to watch them in order, rather than just random on youtube. And I miss the conversations about each episode. Okay, any thoughts?
Sandara

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 3:40 AM

Welcome.

The show isn't available anywhere on TV now.

mkaylady

mkaylady

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

The new Mary is better than I thought she would be based on comments I'd read. The new Frank, IMO, is not as good as the one he replaced although I think I can get used to him.

To Sandara, you can get them in order on youtube but you can't go back to the beginning on there.

P.S. I wish ABC would post show it online now that they took it off SoapNet.

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

This Mary is pretty good actually, I think it's the next mary that's really bad,
and then the final Mary wasn't too bad either but by that time I think the writers just decided to give up on Mary altogether (she didn't have much to do and then they just killed her off).

Edited by scott16, Jun 16, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.

lencidoll

lencidoll

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Episode 670 - Faith has a fantasy of dancing in an 1850's ballgown with Tom Desmond as Prince Charming. She must be in the future Crystal Palace set because there's what we called the "penis couch", only it's not pink yet.

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

When's judy going to post some more videos?, I thought she was going up to 730?

Edited by scott16, Jun 28, 2012 @ 2:45 AM.

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Well for some reason Judy never seemed too keen on doing any of this which always made me wonder why she got us all excited in the first place, lol.

I started posting episodes to keep the Ryan's Hope board, which we set up at Proboards when we learned Soapnet was shutting down its boards, alive. I'm sorry you feel let down, but very few people are viewing the episodes and far fewer are discussing them. If that changed, I would be willing to reconsider. But as it is, preparing and uploading episodes is a burden with no rewards.

BTW, I uploaded new episodes this week.

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

Any chance you could keep doing maybe 3 or 4 shows a week after the 730?,
I can understand how doing 10 shows a week would be a lot of work,
even 3 shows a week would be better than nothing as far as I'm concerned (I like watching them).

I'd even settle for 2 a week, beggars can't be choosers, and even 2 is better than none.

Edited by scott16, Jul 6, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

I agree.

DeanieHindman

DeanieHindman

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Hi ya'll, haven't been here for MONTHS! Can't even remember what the story line was when Judy took a break. Then I got so involved with Facebook, (I'm addicted..seriously) keeping up with my page and a group page for Christopher Creek, one of my brother Earl's favorite places. Well anyway, Dennis has a Ryan's Hope Facebook page with tons of pictures of the cast, Dennis is a true fan, lives in Colorado so I've never met him. But we have become great friends on Facebook.
Today we were talking about the photo I sent him of Earl and Molly's wedding. I think Molly played "Polly?" I never got to see her in that era, we lived in the mountains and had no TV. I'm not lying:) So if any videos are available with Molly McGreevy would someone let me know? I'm including my Facebook page 'cause I posted some of the amazing photos Earl took while he was on set, I have no idea who these people are and am hoping someone else sees them and can identify. I received all of Earl's photos after he died, no one ever got to see his talent in photography. I hope the link works, and hope to see more videos of Ryan's Hope.
Be sure and check out the Facebook page Dennis spends hours on.
See ya! And I hope the link works, I just did a copy and paste...

https://www.facebook...ass?ref=tn_tnmn

Edited by DeanieHindman, Jul 9, 2012 @ 3:37 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I don't have Facebook but those who do will enjoy this, and I will tell people on some other RH boards.

Here is a short clip of Rae and Polly.

ISupportKenneth

ISupportKenneth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Judy,

Thank you so much for posting the videos. I have enjoyed this show so much and, knowing that they will soon disappear, savor every one. Please remember that even if "only" 60 people watch a particular video, you have made life a little happier for those 60. That's something that most of us would not be able to do on a weekly basis even if we tried.

I do miss the "community" of this board. Even if I didn't add much to the conversation, I enjoyed others' comments, and even little tidbits about their lives that came through (like Catmama being from Buffalo).

I suspect that some of the drop off is due to people having more flexibility when to watch the show, as opposed to having to tape it or watch early in the morning. And also being able to watch more than one episode at a time. I think it is more difficult to foster a sense of community when one person is on episode 680 and another on 689.

Does anyone know the website of the other board where Ryan's Hope fans are commenting?

Deannie:

I wasn't looking at "Polly" the first time I heard her on Ryan's Hope, but thought I recognized the voice immediately.

Didn't she play the role of Stan's Russian cousin on an episode of the Golden Girls (Stan being the ex-husband of Dorothy, the character played by Bea Arthur)? The voice is so distinctive that I could swear that they are the same person.

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

The other website is http://ryanshopesoap...s.com/index.cgi

You will be most welcome there.

Edited by neonlite, Jul 16, 2012 @ 5:57 PM.

scott16

scott16

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

Anyone else notice a lot of people fall off of roofs, out of windows, down stairs, on this show?,
also a lot of them end up nearly falling off building ledges and roofs,
also a lot of couples get locked in storage rooms and broken elevators, etc.

Edited by scott16, Jul 17, 2012 @ 10:36 AM.