The Tick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

9 replies to this topic

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:40 PM

am absolute Tick-fanatic but I simply couldn't get into the show. What's interesting pacing in a 32-page comic or a 22-minute cartoon won`t work on a live-action TV show.

I didn't get into the live action at first, but then someone hipped me to the fact it's like Seinfeld with superheroes. That, and seeing all the DVD episodes in a row made me a convert. My favorite has to be "The Tick versus Justice" - "You're making the brain-baby kick!"

I remember going to the circus all drunk and rowdy with a few pals during the cartoon show's run on Fox. The Human Cannonball got ready for his number, and when the fuse was lit, one of my friends hollered, "Fire me, boy!" Our row doubled over in laughter, even the people we didn't know.

ETA: I haven't heard them myself, but Mr. Suction says the Barry Sonnenfeld DVD commentaries are funny and interesting.

Edited by suctionprints, Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:45 PM.

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 12:25 PM

I loved Tick in all of its incarnations.

On the LA DVD after watching a few I started to notice how much Puddy was channeling Adam West. I didn't bother me as much a it seemed a tribute to the absurdist nature of Batman and if Fox hadn't have just dumped the series he would have been the ultimate guest star.

I'm in the pro-Bat Manuel camp, however I prefer Die Fliedermaus. From what I heard the LA could not use any characer created for the AA, so tweaking was nesicary. I read a magazine that casted the Tick as live action years before (pure speculation) and had Die Fliedermaus as Bruce Campbell, so he was alway Maus in my mind.

Favorite AA episode is the Learning Annex Course, for SarCastro alone

Oh Yeah I'm going to fight you!

The Mercanary Uncle Creamy makes it worth while too.

My carefree antics are winnig you over.

I loved Speak too. I don't know how they were able to convey how disgusting that animal was. All mangy and crusty eyed and that little grunt he made, ugh!

Harlow80

Harlow80

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 8:38 PM

Well he was the world's largest rodent... I ALWAYS get that Jeopardy question right: Capa Berra!!!

Hercules Q. Einstein

Hercules Q. Einstein

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 8:48 AM

So I was looking around for info on whether the animated series will ever come to DVD and I found this petition asking Fox and NEC to do so.

I've been missing Tick lately. I was thinking of the Deadly Bulb the other day. You know -- Pig Leg -- because at my friend's birthday everyone was giving her cat gifts because she just got a cat.

Edited by Hercules Q. Einstein, Feb 11, 2004 @ 8:50 AM.

absolutelyisis

absolutelyisis

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 3:55 PM

I started to notice how much Puddy was channeling Adam West. I didn't bother me as much as it seemed a tribute to the absurdist nature of Batman and if Fox hadn't have just dumped the series he would have been the ultimate guest star.

Absolutely! I imagine Mr. West looking askance at Bat-Manuel, though.

I like Bat-Manuel, he's sexy. (I'm sure he thinks so, too.) Son of Isis used to watch the animated series, which I didn't get into, so I don't know enough about the characters to opine. I recently showed a few live action episodes to Beau of Isis, who started off by asking "Is that Elaine's boyfriend?" and ended up enjoying the show.

I like the episode where Arthur comes out as "super" to his family, and ends up in Dave Foley's little asylum. The "Who's super now?" attitude was reflected in The Incredibles when the villian said "When everyone is super, no one will be."

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 4:42 PM

While it didn't have the pure, lunatic edge of the cartoon, the live action sitcom was fine on its own--and the cast was amazing. I might actually prefer Nestor Carbonella's smooth-talkin' Bat Manuel to the sublime wussiness of Die Fledermaus and Liz Vassey's Captain Liberty was HOT and helplessly, hopelessly neurotic. I'm a complete sucker for that type of woman.

Patrick Warburton? Made for the role.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 2:42 PM

I recently got the DVDs for the live action show as a gift - haven't had a chance to watch more than the first couple episodes, but the love came flooding back.

My favorite moment was when The Tick was listing off the names of villians, and one of them was "The A-hole." That is the best name for a villian, ever.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 3:21 PM

Finally got to see the "lost" episode of the live action series. Armin Shimmerman was brilliant as The Terror--the old age make-up was convincing and he was just as snarky and ornery as his cartoon counterpart, with a nasty sense of humor thrown in as well. Would have made a great recurring villain in S2.

This series was Seinfeld with superheroes. The last episode confirms it, with Batmanuel bitching about his car, Captain Liberty worrying about the anniversary party, and the Tick and Arthur settling into their peculiar domestic arrangement. Think of BM as George, CL as Elaine, Arthur as Jerry, and Tick as Kramer. A very large, blue Kramer.

clarkins

clarkins

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2005 @ 10:29 AM

Got the DVD set with Sony points and I love it. The wife doesn't get it but that's okay.

isisuptown

isisuptown

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2005 @ 10:56 AM

Glad to see this thread is back on page one!

I would have liked if, in the live-action series, The Tick could have used his battle cry "Spoon!" Though I watched the animated series very little (see the absolutelyisis post above), I did like the battle cry.

Arthur is so great - what is that actor doing now?

Beau of Isis got me to watch Stripperella, so I think I'll sit him down to finish watching The Tick.