MythBusters

• Please log in to reply

1897 replies to this topic

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

Square wheels kinda work...huh. I never would have thought....

I wonder if there will be a revisit with a comparison to the Reuleaux triangle. I remember that shape from Mr. Wizard as the primary example of a non-circle shape that "rolls" smoothly.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

I take issue with them calling the square wheels plausible. The whole point was to see if there was a speed at which the square wheels would become a smooth ride, not a smoother ride. Yes at the speeds they attained the ride became, relatively, smoother but relative only to how bumpy it had been. In order for it to have been plausible, at least in my mind, they would have to see smooth ratings at least somewhat close to what they had with the round wheels, even if it wasn't at all sustainable.

Edited by lrdmordain, Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:21 PM.

venturestar

venturestar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I think they rated it plausible because they were never able to get up to a high speed before the truck broke. It seemed to me they were only getting to around 30/40 mph before they had to abort. Since a higher speed did equate to a smoother ride, then a higher, but still street legal speed, may have given them a round wheel equivalent ride. They were just never able to get to that speed to test it.

Edited by venturestar, Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:11 PM.

Aarond23

Aarond23

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

The square wheels myth was 'ok', I just fast forwarded through the 'date night' myth with the 2 cars I really could care less, had never heard of the movie and figured its a silly premise.

I think the square wheels would have worked much better if they somehow could have fitted them to the rims and inflated them...they basically just had them banded around the rims there was nothing to hold the treads on the tires.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I think the square wheels would have worked much better if they somehow could have fitted them to the rims and inflated them...they basically just had them banded around the rims there was nothing to hold the treads on the tires.

That seems complex enough that it could be it's own myth - can one have square tires?

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I haven't watched in a while, but I watched last night. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the second female navigator contestant, Jen, Grant's girlfriend? Doesn't that sort of skew the results?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the second female navigator contestant, Jen, Grant's girlfriend?

She did look similar. I recall thinking it might have been her, but I wasn't sure.

Doesn't that sort of skew the results?

They've run experiments on each other and various members of the crew since the beginning. So even if that was Jen, as long as the team didn't alter the test procedures in any way for her, then it wouldn't affect the results.

On the note of what might affect results in the "Battle of the Sexes", I was wondering if sexual orientation would also be a factor. For example, I would imagine some homosexual males might react as quickly and definitively as most women in the reading emotions test.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

So even if that was Jen, as long as the team didn't alter the test procedures in any way for her, then it wouldn't affect the results.

I don't know, I think having a familiarity with the driver may ease some of the tension. All of the other contestants, presumably, were trying to navigate for a stranger, which might be more difficult.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

I think the battle of the sexes might have yielded more interesting results if they had used older volunteers. Older people are more familar with navigating with maps, cooking, packing for extended vacations, etc. Since the "myth" is an old one, I think it would have been better with folks, shall we say, closer to the source.

Roseha

Roseha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

I was wondering if that was Jen also. I got a kick out of the other woman trying to flirt with Grant though ("you look so young!")

The one that surprised me was how bad some of the women were at packing the family car. I wonder if both sexes would have done better though if maybe they had felt less pressure to finish quickly.

On another note, Grant mentioned to Craig Ferguson that they were going to do a myth about rock stars gluing hotel furniture to the ceiling. Wonder when that one's coming up?

Anyone else miss the show on Wednesdays? Sunday is OK but I really preferred the show during the week. I hope MB doesn't overlap with Leverage when that show comes back.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

I don't really buy the emotional reading test. For one thing, when you are in real life figuring out what someone else is feeling, there are a lot of clues besides looking at their eyes. For another, the mythbusters were not really feeling those emotions. They were faking feeling the five emotions. So if people couldn't read the emotions, was that a reflection of the subjects' inability to read the emotion--or maybe just that the mythbusters weren't good at conveying the emotion in the first place?

Also, in the car packing myth, I am not sure, given how many people didn't pack it carefully, realized the "baby" was a "baby" and not just a doll. It seems like a lot of people lost points on that, but if it wasn't explained that they were to treat it like a living child instead of just more of the random junk they had there. Since so many people treated it like a doll, I wondered if that wasn't explained to them clearly.

Edited by Ailiana, Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:19 AM.

Darth Lechon

Darth Lechon

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I finally watched this past Sunday's episode last night on my DVR. Another entertaining episode as usual, but I couldn't help but wonder if the steam cannon myth last night was the one that caused the mishap this past December. I looked it up and that mishap happened during testing for a myth involving different types of cannonballs being equal to or superior to steel balls. Still, one can't help but wonder going forward every time we see the team using a cannon at the bomb range.

On a shallower note, Kari looked really hot during the rocket man myth. Yowza.

Edited by Darth Lechon, May 8, 2012 @ 10:02 AM.

Roseha

Roseha

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

According to what I read at the time, Tori and Kari were present during the cannon/mishap event last December. I was frankly a little surprised that Adam and Jamie were doing a stunt so reminiscent of it so soon. I also really wasn't thrilled with the whole "revisit old myths" theme this week. I would rather see them work on new ideas rather than some fan's idea which isn't that different from the original.

The only parts I enjoyed were Jamie threading the needle with the excavator and Tori's re-creation of that 40 pound buzzard (?) bird. Slow ep for me I'm afraid, though I have enjoyed all the other new ones this season.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

Another entertaining episode as usual, but I couldn't help but wonder if the steam cannon myth last night was the one that caused the mishap this past December.

You weren't the only one. That was one of the first questions on the aftershow.

Darth Lechon

Darth Lechon

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Michael Weston vs. the Mythbusters. I was hoping Mikey would come out on top in this one, but Adam and Jamie managed to prove him wrong. Oh well.

About the only thing I could think of that the crew could do differently is trying to go up through the passenger side rather than the driver side. But then again, I don't know if the machinery the bullets were hitting runs across the width of the car.

Got a nice chuckle out of Tori pointing out Kari's physical shortcomings on camera, followed by her attacking him shortly after.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

I think they didn't quite do justice to the Michael Weston theory on shooting bullets up under the car. Michael wasn't necessarily trying to hit the driver (which some of their comments about hitting hid toe seemed to indicate they thought that was important). He was trying to *distract* the driver, which I don't think requires a lot of bullets getting through. The sound of the bullets hitting the undercarriage would be pretty distracting too. Although the Burn Notice episode did have the bullets getting through a few times. So I am not sure if the testing or the original depiction were either entirely on board with the voiceover's stated theory.

Darth Lechon

Darth Lechon

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I did think about that when I was watching this episode. I remember watching the BN episode in question, and it did seem like skipping bullets up into the car wasn't necessarily to kill or disable the bad guys, just distract them.

But I think the testing was fairly valid in that they pointed out all the myriad things a 9mm bullet has to try to punch or thread through in order to actually enter the cab as depicted in Burn Notice. Sure, you could do a revisit and try to get through the passenger well (where there might not be as much machinery to get through), but it'll probably be busted again.

kattybiz

kattybiz

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

Upon reflection....I'd prefer no new episode to one where two out of the eight myths are just replays of prior shows. I can't believe this was the last new one for a while.

Darth Lechon

Darth Lechon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Actually, as a gun enthusiast, I really liked this ep. The clip show element of it did bother me, but I'll gladly take new Mythbusters footage (especially the slow-mo automatic firing clips, super-especially Kari's where she breaks out into a wide grin about a quarter into the AK's magazine) over repeats any day.

Although if it's new MB footage involving feces in anyway, I'll pass.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

At least the two "rerun" myths did fit thematically with the rest of the episode.

However, all the footage of Adam and Jaime felt a little tacked on. Their paintball duel seemed to have been part of their duel myths from the previous episode, but was set aside for this episode. And other than that, they really only introduced the rerun myths.

I'd say that this episode is a glimpse into the future of Mythbusters. More of the Trio and less of the guys. But then, that's how I'd thought they'd extend the life of the show: promote the Trio to lead status, allowing the guys to step down, then bring in a new Junior team. Repeat ad nauseum.

Hotchismine

Hotchismine

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

I caught a mini marathon yesterday and was surprised that Adam beat Jamie's time on the driving. I'd always pictured Jamie as the one that did everything better and Adam as the comic relief sidekick. I hadn't seen the gender episode before, so it was interesting. Validated my dislike of Kari, that's for sure. When she sat in one of the packed cars that was a mess (weren't they all) and said something like "I'm smaller than most", I wanted to throw something. Grant is actually smaller than you, gagging queen. There is just something about her that I dislike. She seems too eager for screen time. I used to dislike Adam's fake laugh, but I don't think it's fake in his case, it seems to be his usual reaction. Kari should go back to art, quit hitting on Jamie and bring in a woman that doesn't have to be constantly treated like a delicate flower. This isn't the milieu for a delicate flower. (Where's the welder that helped when Kari was pregnant?)

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 4:09 AM

During the new Mythbusters special for the 25th anniversary of Shark Week (the Jawsome special. Yes, that's the name they gave it, not me. I know, it's cheesy as fuck.), they aired a promo for the next season. In addition to showing tiny snippets of the Titanic movie myth they're going to tackle, they gave the premier date.

New episodes start October 7th.

Darth Lechon

Darth Lechon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Really enjoyed the new episode last night. Even though I think James Cameron is a major-league egotistical a-hole, I do applaud his eye for detail and (relative) realism in his movies.

It still cracks me up how game Tory is for being the human guinea pig all the time. I realize that with Grant's back issues and Kari's bum knee, it kinda falls to him by default but he seems very enthusiastic about it at least 80% of the time.

Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Funny thing about this is that, with their hypothermia tests, the Mythbusters proved, that Jack was still alive in the water, when Rose losened his grip on the board and sent him to a slow drowning death. That means Rose actively murdered him. So she is an even bigger bitch than the internet has been saying all along!

Also ofcourse they kinda neglected to mention, that she couldn't have gone for that whistle after the 60 minutes, since her legs and arms wouldn't have worked.

Edited by Miles Prower, Oct 8, 2012 @ 2:15 PM.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

I enjoyed this one a lot too. It was worth it just for Adam calling Jamie "Rose".
I can't believe they actually let Tory ride that surfboard. That was crazy!

Darth Lechon

Darth Lechon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Funny thing about this is that, with their hypothermia tests, the Mythbusters proved, that Jack was still alive in the water, when Rose losened his grip on the board and sent him to a slow drowning death. That means Rose actively murdered him. So she is an even bigger bitch than the internet has been saying all along!

IIRC, when they submerged the dummy in the freezing water, he hit the fatal 84 degree internal body temp around 51 minutes, well before the 63 minute mark when they theorize Rose let go of his hand. So he was dead for at least 10 minutes by the time Rose decided to let him go.

Besides, if anyone deserves blame for killing Jack, it's the screenwriters. Cameron even said so. ;)

Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

After 51 minutes they were at "loss of motor control" which means in reality Jack probably would have drowned.
However in the movie we see that he somehow still hangs on to the board at the end and his head is over water. Since they made a point that you lost body heat about as fast on the board as off and that the main advantage of being on the board was not drowning, that means Jack would have been alive when Rose was rescued, which means she drowned him.

Also you can not get that meta on that movie. Nobody is saying "Kate Winslet is a b*tch, she kileld Leo". People are saying "Rose is a b*tch, she killed Jack". So at that moment screenwriters can't factor in either. ;)

Edited by Miles Prower, Oct 11, 2012 @ 5:49 PM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

I managed to catch the last episode. I thought the Burn Notice "myth" was cool. Interesting that it had the opposite effect of what they said on the show. Also liked them showing the cannonball myth, and that they included the accident it caused and gave lip service to it on the show.

Edited by aquarian1, Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:07 PM.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Not just lip service, but a HUUUUUUGE apology, multiple times.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

The cannon ball that took the unplanned flight looked like it was coming out of the barrel parallel to the ground just like the others. I wonder how it managed to get over the berm. It would have been interesting to see a little information on how they messed up unless it's still in litigation.

As long as Burn Notice is on the air, it's going to keep Mythbusters full of work.