MythBusters

• Please log in to reply

1897 replies to this topic

jo richmond

jo richmond

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:18 AM

So it was a marathon on January 1, eh? I caught the ep where they were trying to bust cola myths. The cola-as-spermicide was hysterical! They had the tube of splooge and both had the funniest looks on their faces. Then Jamie got to count sperm. I was falling off the couch!

zookeeny

zookeeny

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:52 PM

FYI--The show is moving to Sunday at 8PM, with a new show this week.

I read somewhere on the web that they were negotiating for a second season. Don't know if this starts it though...

Malle Babbe

Malle Babbe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:30 AM

How about the exploding biscuit episode? It was interesting how they were able to prove that those "spring-loaded" biscuit packages can go off in a really hot car, but they couldn't track down the original biscuit incident. But such is the way of urban legends, I guess.

The funny part is the fact that you can see the "biscuit bandolier" in later episodes, sitting on one of the shelves in the Mythbusters warehouse.

Sars

Sars

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

The second season hasn't started shooting yet; unless they've already aired the "throwing a penny off the Empire State Building" ep, the first season isn't over.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:19 PM

Yup, the penny off the Empire State Building show has already been shown. It was fun watching Adam get shot in the ass with a penny travelling at 65 MPH.

indybear

indybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:19 PM

For what it's worth, the Empire State Building penny-throwing was part of the marathon.

ETA scarletine is right - the penny shooting was pretty funny.

Edited by indybear, Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:20 PM.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

Did I just imagine it, or do one of the TWoP recappers know one of the mythbusters? I think it's Pamie that knows Adam, but I could be wrong.

klea653

klea653

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:50 AM

I seem to remember getting to Adam's site from Tomato Nation (Sars) once... I could be mistaken, though. Maybe Sars knows Adam?

Adam's site

Tomato Nation

Sars

Sars

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 2:16 PM

Adam is a friend of mine; Pamie and AB Chao have hung out with him too.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 7:07 AM

I just saw an episode last night (Tuesday). Was that the new episode from Sunday? Tuesdays fit my TV schedule alot better.

I was a little disturbed by the whole "Adam screws up the mold" sequence. I hope TPTB aren't going to start showing the conflicts between the two. Note to TPTB: some of us don't need - or even want - to see conflict in order to be entertained. Some of us just want to get our nerd on for the week. If I want conflict I'll go watch American Chopper. (You know, that other potentially cool show you ruined by always having to show the Teutels fighting all the time.)

Another cool series of experiments. I don't know what it is, especially considering I have a cast iron gut and don't get grossed out easily, but seeing jars of urine really squick me out. Probably some freudian potty training issues rearing their ugly head. That being said, MythBusters should win a Peabody for exposing how poppy seeds screw up drug tests.

Smackfu

Smackfu

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:45 AM

Nope, the one from Sunday was explosive decompression with a jetliner. Twas way cool. Not particularly that they were urban legends, but blowing stuff up is always fun.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:31 PM

I hope TPTB aren't going to start showing the conflicts between the two.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that part. It seems like all the how-to shows have forced some element of conflict into their format. It's lame. They need to stop it.

chbarr

chbarr

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

I just started watching this show last week, and all I can say is, way cool.

I am especially fond that not only do they try to replicate the myth using what would likely be the materials in question, but they go to the extreme to make it happen. For instance, the story about the guy being flung around in the washing machine. Not only did we see that it could happen (interlock, weak motor, etc.), but just how great an extreme they had to go to to make it happen. Kinda just lets you know how unlikely it is.

I agree with some of those who are saying, "don't show conflict." It felt out-of-place. I do like them voicing different opinions, then betting on it ("I think the barrel will hold...").

Still, these are some of the best science lessons I get outside of "Good Eats."

zookeeny

zookeeny

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 1:29 PM

I'd like to jump on the "no conflict" bandwagon. I have no desire to watch people being mean to each other. There's enough of that in real life. It was good to see Adam apologize on last night's show and move on.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

I'm still staunchly opposed to any introduction of contrived or staged conflict between the two guys, but when that one guy snapped at the other guy for interfering with his attempts to collect dog pee, I laughed my ass off, even though the myth they were busting was the lamest one so far.

How can I become a folklorist? Because that's what I want to be when I grow up. I'm totally and completely serious.

PrincessFosace

PrincessFosace

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:49 PM

*sigh*, I have such a crush on Adam. This is such a great show. MrFosace and I live about two hours from SF. We joke all the time about finding M5 studios and waiting around until they they film again. Last night's episode killed me that they were at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I live 10 minutes from there!

Edited by PrincessFosace, Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:51 PM.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 3:06 PM

How can I become a folklorist? Because that's what I want to be when I grow up. I'm totally and completely serious.

I know Indiana University has a Folklore major and graduate program. Other universities probably stash their folklorists in Anthropology programs.

ETA: Please give my deepest apologies to your parents.

Edited by tortuga, Jan 19, 2004 @ 8:33 PM.

chbarr

chbarr

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 3:51 PM

I'm still staunchly opposed to any introduction of contrived or staged conflict between the two guys, but when that one guy snapped at the other guy for interfering with his attempts to collect dog pee...

I think there is a difference between that and the "conflict" being spoken of. That came off as fussy little banter that happens between colleagues. It was done in a kidding-around fashion.

The taping of the molds, on the other hand, could have gone the way of "American Chopper," or other true reality shows. They had shots of the tape failing/gel leaking, then a voice-over of the other guy talking about how the first hurries (I don't remember who was who in this instance), then a scene where they were correcting the problem.

I think the "conflict" part came when a point problem (the gel is leaking) is presented as symbolic of an inherent character flaw of one of the gentleman as seen by the other ("he hurries...needs to use less haste").

I like banter. Conflict I can do without.

I like big, chicken-shooting air cannons even more.

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 8:28 AM

I am totally turning into a Jamie fan-girl. So scary considering he's nearly fifty and reminds me of a bald walrus minus the tusks.
Gotta say that I loved how Savage got all dressed up in the bomb stuff and set up the bomb shield thingie to test the dog pee/baking soda myth.

Malle Babbe

Malle Babbe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 8:59 AM

I caught the episode with the souped up washing machine. I loved how they kept tinkering and tinkering with it to give it enough power and torque to fling a full-grown man around, to the point that it was almost unrecognizable at the end. Did anyone else see the blueprint sequence, where Adam included a cartoony piddling dog in the diagram? Since I am an 8 year old at heart, I thought it was funny.

I especially loved Jamie pulling out a robot soda machine that he built for a commercial, using its engine to power the "FrakenWasher". Who else has a robot conveniently lying around? I was watching with my mom, and she said, "Your father would love to meet these guys, he doesn't throw anything out either."

Did anyone else see the episode where they tried to duplicate pulling out the back axle of a cop car, a la "American Graffiti"? They rigged the car up to be remote control driven, and stood on the roof of a warehouse for safety. At one point the car sped out of sight, so Jamie hit the breaks, only to find the car with its front bumper an eyelash away from a light post.

Oh, and the assistant that they volunteered for the Alcatraz experiment was kinda cute. It was great that they were able to pull it off, but I think they were seriously overestimating the intelligence of the average ex-con.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 10:06 AM

I finally got to see the "Chicken Gun" episode, and it was, as usual, brilliant. These two are the funniest pair of geniuses that I've ever had the pleasure to watch.

I want that Frankenwasher, though. Would make doing my laundry much quicker!

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 2:23 PM

I loved the bit with the poodle. Even though we, the viewers, knew they wouldn't put a poodle in the microwave, it seemed like the narrator didn't, and for some reason I found that hilarious.

Trilobyte

Trilobyte

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 5:52 PM

Oh, and the assistant that they volunteered for the Alcatraz experiment was kinda cute. It was great that they were able to pull it off, but I think they were seriously overestimating the intelligence of the average ex-con.

I agree that most people (never mind cons) probably couldn't pull it off. However, we know they carried out a complicated plan that required discretion, daring and the ability to delay gratification. That's an unusual combination of traits that you'd be unlikely to see unless at least one person in the group was of above average intelligence.

Speaking as someone who grew up on a coast, I have no problem believing that if they could observe the water, they could figure the movement of the ocean currents. (You can see differences in water colors, and surface tension of currents as they move through the ocean.) Since we know they waited until the tide was at a certain point, they clearly had something in mind.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 8:11 AM

seriously overestimating the intelligence of the average ex-con.

They made a big deal out of the fact that one of the escapees was smarter than the average criminal. [/yogi bear voice] I was impressed that anyone could make it more than 100 feet off of the island in a homemade raft, let alone get all the way to land.

lisaboo

lisaboo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 10:37 PM

Love this show. Love me some Adam. *sigh* I only live an hour and a half away from them. Is it totally creepy that I want to drive to the Bay and try and find them? Yes? Okay...fine...

I know he has kids (adorable by the way)...but is he married? I could have sworn that on one show they said that he had a date later in the day, which made me think that he was single. Plus I have never seen a wedding ring, despite his wearing a right hand ring.

I just love me some geek boy!

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 11:05 AM

I can't believe they answered the question that I've personally wanted to know for years - does toilet bowl spray contain coliform bacteria? They determined that toilet bowl spray really isn't that big a deal considering there's plenty of coliform bacteria in the normal air anyway. Regardless, I shall continue to flush with my toilet seat down.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 1:30 PM

I totally knew they'd find fecal contamination on the control brushes. Poo is everywhere, people! The funniest thing about that episode was the bathroom log they kept. I kept wondering if they called it the log log, because I'm 12.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 9:43 AM

Hey wannabe mythbusters, for some reason the Discovery channel is adding another mythbuster to the dynamic duo. There are directions on how to appy here.

I can't decide if the addition of another mythbuster is going to be a good thing or not.

jo richmond

jo richmond

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 1:36 AM

LOVED last night's ep with the tongue piercing (way to go, Adam!) and the Breathalyzer myth buster. The latter was cool cuz Mr/Officer Richmond and I had been talking about it not even one week ago. He's intox-certified for his PD and knew it would be busted but it was entertaining to see Adam get plowed. I figured he'd be a happy drunk while there wan't much change in Jamie, who's so quiet anyway.

Great ep!

Tanathir

Tanathir

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 11:14 PM

Does anyone know the fellas' ages? To me, Adam is like a young energetic pup, and Jamie is the tolerant older wiser dog. It's so cute to see them interacting together. I'm afraid that if they do add another to the dynamic duo, it will mess up this dynamic.