Chakras, Starlight, The First Kiss, and a Jin: Season 7

• Please log in to reply

264 replies to this topic

Live Bait

Live Bait

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:36 AM

The hostage situation in the ‘Duane Barry’ episode starts on August 7th according to a time stamp in that episode. So depending on how much time passed during that episode, Scully was probably kidnapped on August 9th or 10th.
In the episode ‘3’ when Mulder reopens the basement office, he changes the calendar from May to November.
That should mean that Scully was missing from mid August to sometimes in November or later (at least 2 ½ months).

But the tag on Duane Barry’s body in ‘Ascension’, states - according to the script – that he died in June:

Tag: Medical Examiner.
Name: Barry, Duane.
Case No. 197735 Date: 6/17/94
Where taken from: Skyland, VA.

It doesn’t make any sense – but it would mean that that Scully was missing from mid June to November or later.

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:52 AM

It doesn’t make any sense

Ah, the X-Files creed...

ejluther

ejluther

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:27 PM

Wow. Those dates are pretty messed up. Even I can't wrangle some excuse for that one and that's saying something! Wait! Maybe Mulder just fancied the calendar's November photo (even though it was really still September) and, um, Duane Barry's toe tag was tampered with by the Men In Black (directed by CSM) and, consequently, the toe tag is THE KEY TO EVERYTHING!!!!

I remember (but can't replicate) a similiar situation with Luke Doggett; the year of his death flucuated wildly at one point. Dates are certainly not their strong suit. Samantha's birthday changed, too, yes?

Ruby Trample of Woody End

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:49 PM

Samantha's birthday, her middle initial, and the date of her death.

I hate 1013.

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:35 PM

DP but 6 days later.

Does this article remind anybody else of this episode?

Asa Hawks

Asa Hawks

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:40 PM

The Jin -- she has a job now? A way to make money? How is she going to pay for that cup of coffee? What could she possibly put on a resume that would get her a job?

(I'm fretting about this, going through my own job search, and wishing I had a Jin who could magically give me all the skills necessary for any job I applied for.

Only, of course, I won't ask for that. Because I'd fuck it up somehow and end with gills instead of skills or some other such nonsense.)

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 6:57 PM

yeah, maybe your first wish should be for a Jin without the attitude and cynicism?

Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:56 PM

Ok, I've come up with a Jin theory. Mulder gave her some money for a cab and some expenses and sent her to the Gunmen. They made her a fake ID and back story--resume, family, etc.--and now she can find a job. Which probably wouldn't have anything to do with turnips or stout mules, but Jin was pretty smart so she could learn new skills quickly. Voila!

JimsBride

JimsBride

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:45 PM

Finally got my Season 7 DVDs. And was surprised to find myself tearing up at the end of the "Truth About Season 7" documentary.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:48 PM

That's not necessarily surprising. Were they tears of pain? Frustration? Rage? The sickening realization that you spent 7 years trying to make sense out of a mytharc that never made sense in the first place?

JimsBride

JimsBride

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 3:10 PM

Well, I guess then that the reason the tears were surprising was that darn it all, I miss the show. I miss the anticipation of seeing what 1013 was going to pull out of their asses this week.

Part of it was that before the documentary, I watched all of the promos in a row. Which I thought were all particularly awful in Season 7. Even the light eps, like Goldberg Variation were announced with ridiculous hyperbole.

"After 144 cases, this is one that they never should have opened!!" DUN DUN DUN!! My Lord, the man was just super lucky. And the only people who died were bad. Bah.

BUT even with that, the promos combined with the feature made me misty and nostalgic. I'm a sap.

Edited by JimsBride, Jan 9, 2004 @ 3:12 PM.

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 3:49 PM

A couple of weeks ago I was watching some season 7 including (I Love) Orison, and for the first time I noticed a shameful, embarrassing, inexcusable continuity error. Perhaps it has already been noted in these threads at some point in their history, but I don't recall seeing it.

It, I would say, rivals Scully's mysterious, dematerialising tattoo.

A scan reveals a cerebral edema in the Reverend's brain (is that some kind of double negative? Can you have a cerebral edema anywhere else?) and behave - quite literally - as though Demons never happened.

MULDER: Except this isn't accidental. The cause, in fact, as it was stated to me is self-inflicted. There's a small hole here in the skull which allows oxygen into the brain cavity, the result of which is the Reverend Orison has three times the normal blood volume pumping through his brain.

SCULLY: And he did this himself?

MULDER: Yeah. My guess is he-he probably did it when he first got into prison-- when he first learned how to use its powers.

SCULLY: "Its powers."

MULDER: There's a theory that at this point in human evolution our mental capabilities are limited only by inadequate blood supply. In fact, centuries ago, in the Peruvian Andes, Holy Men used to physically remove parts of their skulls in order to increase blood volume or drill small holes.

It's quite shocking, isn't it? And they can't use the excuse that Demons is one of the eps that never happened, 'cos it's actually quite a pivotal episode, being the first time that M questions the identity of his true biological father. And for other reasons (WetHair!Mulder, WrappedInBlanket!Mulder, Shivering!Mulder, SeriousCerebralEvent!Mulder) (Did I just blow my academic credibility?)

i think some of the writers were limited by inadequate blood supply.

Edited by Glasgow, Mar 16, 2004 @ 3:51 PM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 3:53 PM

WetHair!Mulder, WrappedInBlanket!Mulder, Shivering!Mulder, SeriousCerebralEvent!Mulder

Don't forget Naked!Mulder. Mmmm Naked!Mulder.

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

so - the academic credibility not one of the major currencies around here, smrou?

i hadn't forgotten, i just didn't want to make any of the Duchov-haters throw up.

Slippin' Mickeys

Slippin' Mickeys

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 4:17 PM

One other continuity error that I noticed in Orison, (which may be explained by my less-than-expert knowledge of the Corrections Departments of Minnesota and Illinois workings), but Donnie Pfaster was arrested and convicted in Minnesota, yet he's being kept in the Illinois prison system? Does not compute.

Unless Minnesota ships all of it's prisoners to Illinois. In which case, kudo's on sticking to reality, 1013! Oh wait. It just occured to me that this was a federal case as the FBI were the arresting athorities, in which case Donnie was probably held in a federal prison, in which case my entire problem is moot.

So never mind.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 4:40 PM

so - the academic credibility not one of the major currencies around here, smrou?

Yeah, um, well, I got a little distracted by mental images of Shivering!Mulder and WrappedInBlanket!Mulder. That automatically pushes anything remotely academic out of my mind.

But I think you're right about 1013 dropping the ball on the whole trepanation thing. That shouldn't have been new to Mulder.

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 4:59 PM

trepanation

A pet subject of mine.

I swear one day I'll do it.

What? Are you all staring at?

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 5:06 PM

i think that it should be totally your choice and would clearly support any decision of yours as a friend, but i also think you should write and have witnessed a living will before you do. said with love, Rube. said with love

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 5:33 PM

If I do it I'll be Super!Rube.

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 6:09 PM

Hehehe! Imagine what we could de with a Super!Rube.

"Hey, CC, guess what?"

hehehehehehe

Live Bait

Live Bait

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 10:52 AM

Scientists are reporting that the sixth extinction has started. Haven't we heard this before?
The difference is that it’s happening in Britain and not on the Ivory Coast, and no mention of Scully anywhere.

But, does anybody remember what they actually concluded with in ‘Sixth Extinction II’? Did the sixth extinction start or not? Or was it a false alarm brought about by the effects of the space ship?

ejluther

ejluther

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 11:30 AM

Did the sixth extinction start or not? Or was it a false alarm brought about by the effects of the space ship?

I always took it that the sixth extinction would start with the alien invasion/colonization - and the imagery of Mulder building the sand spaceship with the boy suggests to me that it's coming and Mulder (and this boy?) would play an important part in it. of course, they are building the spaceship, further suggesting that Mulder is supposed to help the aliens, not fight them...

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 11:50 AM

kill one, fight one, help one? it depends which aliens you're talking about.

Crow T. Robot

Crow T. Robot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 12:28 PM

At the time, I thought the boy was young Mulder, but now I like to pretend he's William. Do we as a forum have a consensus on this?

Edited by Crow T. Robot, Mar 23, 2004 @ 12:28 PM.

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 12:31 PM

babe. do we, as a forum, have a consensus on anything?

ejluther

ejluther

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 2:32 PM

have a consensus on anything?

well, based on postings i say the only thing that unanimous around these here parts is that bmills is a genius!

(for what it's worth, i think it is William...)

Crow T. Robot

Crow T. Robot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

That, and season 9 didn't happen. Right? We can all agree that Jump the Shark does not exist, at least.

I like to think the boy is William, but I doubt 1013 had planned that far ahead. So at the time it was probably intended to be kid Mulder.

ejluther

ejluther

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 3:35 PM

there are a lot of clues in the SIXTH EXTINCTION about William, if you want to see them - specifically the metal spinning into the line in the Bible about being fruitful and multiplying and Scully being "healed" by the spaceship (my pet theory) - I do think 1013 wanted to plant the seeds (pardon the pun) of a possible Scully/Mulder child in this episode, but only in retrospect. I also like the detail of "strangers" teaching the little boy in SIXTH EXTINCTION to walk, much like Ma & Pa Kent are now raising William (before he's returned to M&S?)...

While I must say I enjoyed Season 9 for what it was, JUMP THE SHARK did seem entirely pointless...

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 5:48 PM

I never warmed up to The Sixth Extinction. Too heavy with symbolism for me, I think. And... oh, I don't know. It just didn't feel right. I could never believe it mattered somehow.

I prefer a good MOTW to a mytharcish ep that I can't get involved in.

Which is just another reason I'm a leading member of the Stand Alone Club.

Slippin' Mickeys

Slippin' Mickeys

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 6:45 PM

I hated The Sixth Extinction. Duchov in old people makeup is an automatic disqualifier in my little cache of Episodes That I Don't Hate.