Hangin with the Action Figures: The Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

28355 replies to this topic

Ruby Trample of Woody End

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:54 PM

What are you up to now, you sneaky girl, you?

Me? [sheepishly]Nothinnnggg...[/sheepishly]

Happy New Year everybody - what Kanel said.

No dirty bombs in Times Square last night - good thing that.

smcsk8

smcsk8

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 10:47 PM

MereyGB Solvang is where my mom is from. I go there fairly often actually. Its a fun place to visit, for a day or two.

How y'all doing? Law school is finished for the semester, thank the lord, and at last I am on vacation. Today my mom and I went shopping for suits and I picked out a black one that makes me feel like Scully. I even said that to my mom. She thinks I'm crazy.

In other exciting news in my life, my sister was accepted early admission to NYU a few weeks back to do her BFA at Tisch.

And bmills, Lili has never thrown up on me. We always do very tame things like see movies and chat.

apeygirl

apeygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:50 AM

Happy New Year, though late. Anyone do anything interesting? I drank a bottle of champagne and watched When Harry Met Sally. Because it's my tradition and because, after two years, I still know no one in Orange County.

I was planning on drinking Champagne and yelling at XF season 8 DVDs, but nobody got me them for Christmas, even after a couple million hints. But I can't really complain. I got a box set of MST3K. And one of them is a Raul Julia movie that I'd previously taped, but had been taped over. My heart overfloweth.

Lili Von Shtupp

Lili Von Shtupp

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

We had a pretty tame New Year's Eve, too. We cooked a nice dinner, drank some champagne, watched some tv, and tried in vain to light a fire with magical non-burning logs. Seriously, we tried to ignite those things for over an hour before we finally gave up. Now we have charred logs and a bunch of newspaper ashes in the fireplace. At least the kindling burned nicely. Then we watched really depressing local coverage of New Year's Eve celebrations, because I am philosophically opposed to watching tape-delayed footage of a bunch of people partying 3 hours ago. Or Ryan Seacrest. But the local coverage had its own problems, as it was mostly footage of drunk people from Stockton going "Wooooo!"

The high point of my night was a drunk-dial from Mer and our old friend oneloudbitch. You guys are the best! :-D

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:02 PM

Yeah, what happened to oneloudbitch? Is she some fickle kind of fair-weather fan who only watches shows that are still good and still on the air? Creampuff. Anybody can do that.

On New Years I played on my computer until my neighbors all got done trying to blow their fingers off (not until about 2am), then went to bed.

JimsBride

JimsBride

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:21 PM

Ruby, oneloudbitch, Mer and 5 or 6 of the latter two gals' friends made an appearance at my New Year's Eve shindig. Alcohol was drank, snacks were eaten and X-Files was discussed (albeit briefly and somewhat bitterly). Fun was had by all!

After their all-to-brief appearance (I love hanging out with those folk and was sad to see them go!), we clambered up to the roof to watch the ball drop. Well, you can't actually see the ball drop (thanks to a stupid building in the way-grrrr), but you can see the numbers "2-0-0" and the fireworks. Purty. Then we stood for an hour shouting things at the people leaving Times Square who were unlucky enough to walk down our block. Some laughed, some gave us the special one-fingered salute, most ignored us. Good times.

wounded

wounded

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:19 PM

Wow. I feel like I'm returning from the dead (a la Mulder). Thanks to TXF's end, and my newfound love for other television programs, I have been away for so long. Thanks to today's massive boredom, I'm back here. Oh, you I've missed it here. So, hi to everyone! *BIG HUGS* And happy belated Christmas/Hannukkah/Kwanzaa to all that apply.

And, smcsk8? You're still alive! *lol* And law school! That's awesome. :) And NYU for your sis? How kickass. Would've been my choice over McGill but, y'know, I'm lacking the $40,000/year to attend...

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

At midnight Mr. Ruby and I pressed the mute button and could hear the misguided people in Times Square screaming. And then we went to bed. Cause we're old.

Sorry I didn't stay long JB the place looks fab - as did you in your short skirt and fish nets. Come stand next to me next time you dress like that ok?

Bored now.

Edited by Ruby Trample of Woody End, Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:21 PM.

Slippin' Mickeys

Slippin' Mickeys

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:14 PM

I was in the Detroit airport waiting for a connecting flight on the 1st and watching the CNN airport channel when they did this report on an LSSU study about words that should be outlawed/put out of use/etc., and one of them was the term "X." They mentioned the X-Games, X-Files, and then this clip from the show. And I could not, for the life of me, figure out which episode it was from. I don't know which is scarier--the fact that I normally could tell which episode it was in about two seconds, or the fact that it's possible that I no longer can.

Anyway, weird.

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:41 AM

am feelin' for ya, Slip, and want you to know how very, very much i wish i had seen that report to see if i, too, would have been flummoxed as to which ep it was. in fact, i wish that almost as much as i wish i could have seen JB in her fishnets. as we used to say back in the good old, pre-dig days, any polaroids?

are any of you guys aware of a cult adult graphic/comic novel called Hellblazer? not to be confused with Hellraiser? acting on intelligence recently made available to me, i am given to understand the film version is the next project for (my beloved) Keanu Reeves. i was just wondering whether it's worth my while doing some research beforehand so i look cool and hip and knowledgable when it comes out. is it the kind of thing a Scottish phile-ette would like? would appreciate any guidance.

also - is it wierd that i fancy the guy in that heartburn medication ad? i think it's called PrevAcid? in addition, the very young, early SNL model Chevy Chase? that's not good, right?

JimsBride

JimsBride

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:22 PM

Ruby, no need to apologize for having to leave- I totally understood!! And alas Glasgow, there are no pictures, much to the hubby's dismay.

As for identifying old episodes, we play a game where I have to give the title using the digital cable description of the show. I never realized how many eps can be described with the same two sentences.

PixelPusher

PixelPusher

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 3:14 PM

Hello everyone! Happy New Year!

I'm PixelPusher, and I usually hang out in TVPotluck, Stargate SG-1 or Joan of Arcadia. I didn't really think to look in X-Files forums until recently - for some reason I thought there would be no activity. How silly of me!

I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on which DVDs to invest in first... Is there a particular season that stands out in the DVDs (special features-wise, or even just that that season rocked more than the others)? Not including 8 or 9?

Any info that might help with my decision would be appreciated! Thanks!

Slippin' Mickeys

Slippin' Mickeys

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:25 PM

I personally, am a fan of seasons 4,5 & 6 on DVD. As far as special features go though, they're pretty standard on all seasons. Although, I refuse to watch CC commentary because of the seething hatred, so maybe someone else who's actually watched all of the extras might be of better help.

Oh, and welcome!

Edited by Slippin' Mickeys, Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:25 PM.

PixelPusher

PixelPusher

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:33 PM

Thanks!

I think I have it narrowed down to 3, 4, 5, or 6, but... well, that's still 4 sets :O) I need to win the lottery or something.

apeygirl

apeygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:05 AM

I bought 1 and worked my way up, saving and buying along the way. I thought I should start at the beginning. See, it was supposed to help me understand the mythology better. How naive I was about two years ago.

I sort of like 5 and 3 the best. I find myself rewatching their episodes the most. Plus 3 has Darin Morgan.

Okay, I'm saying 3- even though I really don't like pre-season 4 Scully's hair. But it has three Darin Morgan eps. And those three? Infinitely rewatchable.

Lili Von Shtupp

Lili Von Shtupp

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:01 PM

Welcome, PixelPusher! I'd vote for S3, too, although I also like S6 because it's ultra-shippy.

So, Glasgow, how was your visit to the US? Any good stories to share with us?

Are there any Atlanta TWoPers here? I'm going to be there for a couple of days in March, so if there are, maybe we can hook up. Or, can anyone here suggest fun things to do in Atlanta? I've already been there once, and went to Margaret Mitchell's house and Underground Atlanta (which was a serious letdown - it's just a big mall!). Anything else worth doing there?

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:43 PM

Lili, if you have time you should see the Martin Luther King memorial in Auburn. It's fantastic, though not especially uplifting - don't go if you're feeling depressed already.

It's a little hard to find, or it was when I went there, but worth the trouble.

Got money? Feel commercial? Don't miss the Coca-Cola place...

Other than that, could you soak up some sun for me while you're there?

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:51 PM

As for DVDs, I would go with the classic seasons 3 & 4. That was after the awkward early period but before the mytharc got completely out of control.

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:42 PM

i agree with bmills re: the dvds. always a safe option, anyway, as bmills is a genius.

actually, Lili, i'm still here. it's a lot of fun but my sister lives in the Middle of Nowhere, Colorado, and seems to have roughly 4 friends who are all in their late 40s/50s, and - i don't drive. i've had the time of my life bonding with my nephews, and it is exceedingly beautiful here. but i doubt that i'll be back in a hurry. no offence, it's a great place, but i think my expectations were very different. i expected my sister to live in a downtown and have friends who we would go out with. so i'll have to make up for it when i see you guys in NY and/or LA sometime in 2004!

the most exciting thing that has happened so far was during our visit to the Denver Art Museum. My brother-in-law started pointing excitedly to an old gent in a wheelchair and said "do you know who that is?" i, since i recognise a celeb-spot when i see one, looked in the direction of the old guy and said no, i had no idea. turns out this was "probably the most important geographer in America in the 20th century". my brother-in-law is a geography professor. we don't have that much in common.

[i]ETA: on the upside i have bought a truckload of Aveda, which is much cheaper here, roughly half of Old Navy, and two pairs of shoes.

Edited by Glasgow, Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:50 PM.

PixelPusher

PixelPusher

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:13 AM

Thanks guys :O) Now I think I've narrowed it down to 3 & 4 (much more manageable). Whatever I come across on sale first, wins!

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:46 AM

Glasgow, have you at least seen the Rockies yet?

pusher

pusher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:27 AM

I've been to Atlanta once. My friend took me hiking up Stone Mountain which was pretty cool. It's not that big but the view is nice. I got to see a thunder storm roll in in about 45 seconds then ran down the mountain in the storm. We figured we'd take the tram down if it rained but all the lightning forced them to close the tram.

Other than that all I did during my 3 days in Atlanta was go to 3 Mets/Braves games at Turner Field. If they have any pre-season games going on you should check it out. As much as I hate the Braves, their field is nice.

Slippin' Mickeys

Slippin' Mickeys

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:59 AM

Went out on the Strip last night. Am hurting. Skybar martinis are expensive. Seasons 3 and 4 are good.

MereyGB

MereyGB

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:55 PM

Hi Everyone!!! Happy New Years!

Ugh! This is my first day back to work and the neglected, mounting pile of paper work has decided to ally itself with the neighboring neglected pile of paperwork and now their joint forces and are out for revenge. Yeah, I need to go find cover.

Yes, the lovely Jim's Bride and her cute husband threw a very nice party. I LOVE their apt. I'm sorry we didn't get to stay too long. It was just one of those party hopping New Years. We ended up on the upper east side in a rented out bar with a few hundred of our closest unknown friends. Crazy antics, of course, ensued.

Lili - Atlanta!? Damn girl, that's just a mere few hundred miles away. So, how long will you be staying with us when you make your side trip to NYC?

Edited by MereyGB, Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:07 PM.

Lili Von Shtupp

Lili Von Shtupp

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:21 PM

Oh, yes, Kanel, the MLK memorial - that's definitely on the list. Also, the Jimmy Carter birthplace, because I'm a big old geek. And, of course, there's the Cyclorama, which I'm very excited about seeing, because I'm a big old geek (a pre-cinema geek, not a Civil War geek, not that it makes any difference).

pusher, I would love to go to a Braves game (even if it is the Braves ;-) ), but I'm sure they'll still be at spring training. I'll have to do a stadium tour, though.

Heh, Mer, why don't y'all come down to Atlanta and visit me? We'll set the town on fire - oh, wait, that's been done already. Well, we'll have a good time anyway. :-) Or, we can just wait for Ashland.

You know, now that I think about it, I should probably be spending some time at the conference that I'll be attending. I'll have to see if I can fit that in between all the sightseeing.

Glasgow, sorry to hear your trip's been less than exciting. Are you at least getting lots of snow to play in? Are you finding XF on TV? Glad to hear you're stocking up on Aveda - that's some good stuff. I can't believe it's much cheaper here, though, considering how expensive it is. Or is it just cheaper because the dollar is so pathetically weak right now?

On an entirely unrelated note, I have ants in my house. Little bastards. And it's not like a stream of ants, which I could handle, it's just random ants that i keep finding here and there, but I don't know where they're coming from. Could be worse, I guess. Could be giant flukemen in my sewer line.

On another entirely unrelated note, Der Gropenfuhrer is set to deliver his first State of the State address in a couple of hours. I'm hoping that it'll be good for a laugh, but it may just be too depressing to laugh at. Mr. VS gets to be on the floor of the chambers while the speech is being delivered. I told him to bring some raw eggs along, just in case, but I don't think he did. *sigh*

Edited by Lili Von Shtupp, Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:27 PM.

apeygirl

apeygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:12 AM

You guys, when this post is viewed, I will be a Loyal Viewer. No more Channel Surfer for me. I know it seems small to you Stalkers, but it's a big step for me. I feel like I've really blossomed or something.

I'd like to thank the X-Files and MST3K forums, without which, none of this would have been possible. I'd also like to thank the TV Potluck section and the only thread I've started myself, the French and Saunders thread. You've nurtured my TV obsessions and all made me what I am today.

I solemnly tip my diet coke in your honor.

Edited by apeygirl, Jan 13, 2006 @ 8:51 AM.

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:36 AM

French & Saunders? you beauty.

"it's reversible, Jackie."

ETA: i guess i didn't mean to give the impression that i've had no fun in CO, i'm sorry if i did. the Rockies are stunning, but the snow and ice are more scary than anything to a city girl like me. do you remember in Little House in the Prairie when Laura says you can feel the air freezing as you draw it into your lungs? bingo. was planning to go for skiing lessons, but have hurt my left foot and ankle pretty badly - am limping! (thankfully.)

Edited by Glasgow, Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:55 AM.

apeygirl

apeygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:54 AM

"We're not anorexics. We just don't think eating's very clever."

Glasgow

Glasgow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:57 AM

"you don't say "how big is it?", you say "how many hands is it, please?""

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

"Are you a lesbian, miss?"

and:

"Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls"

and my personal fave:

"If I had been around when Rubens was painting, I would have been revered as a fabulous model, Kate Moss? Well she would have been the paintbrush."

Dawn French