Two and a Half Men

• Please log in to reply

4042 replies to this topic

Fonzie

Fonzie

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

Never been a fan of Ashton Kutcher who's biggest claim to fame was marrying Demi Moore, whose biggest claim to fame was marrying Bruce Willis and riding the coat tails of big stars in films, then divorcing Bruce Willis and getting a ton of money from that.

I'm not a huge fan of either Demi Moore or Ashton Kutcher, but this is not true. Starting with her role on the very popular soap opera General Hospital and continuing with BratPack movies (St. Elmo's Fire, About Last Night) Moore was a huge star in her own right before (and right about when) she married Bruce Willis, and she continued to work in films like the (monster-smash) Ghost, A Few Good Men, Striptease (as awful as it was), and GI Jane (ditto), during their marriage. Kutcher had achieved big success first as a model, then as Kelso on That 70s Show before he married Moore. AK also had Punk'd and various other projects and movies going on long before Demi Moore came into the picture. The Moore/Willis and Moore/Kutcher marriages brought Moore and Kutcher more publicity than they otherwise would have garnered, but the marriages were not their biggest "claim to fame." When they met/married, both were already very successful and famous.

Edited by Fonzie, Sep 23, 2011 @ 9:52 PM.

SnowDan07

SnowDan07

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 1:17 AM

Personally I loved it. I felt it was classic Two and a Half Men. Although it felt weird without Charlie at first, I still enjoyed it. I loved all the cameos in the beginning! Dharma and Greg being my favorite of all the cameo appearances of course. I did like John Stamos' scene too. I'm glad they had at least some emotion in the episode. The scene with Alan talking to the vase was very well done. As for Ashton, I've always enjoyed his work ever since That 70's Show. I think he did a very good job and loved his interactions with Alan. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here and how him and Jake get along. I also wonder what he was actually wearing during those naked scenes. Flesh colored thong on fully naked? You do have to be over 18 to see the show tapings so it could be!

I also like that Charlie left the house to Alan. Some episodes in the past implied that Alan wouldn't get the house and Berta would or someone else. So I was glad to see that he got it even if he couldn't afford to live there. That was very sweet of Charlie.

xmag

xmag

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 2:23 AM

I also like that Charlie left the house to Alan. Some episodes in the past implied that Alan wouldn't get the house and Berta would or someone else. So I was glad to see that he got it even if he couldn't afford to live there. That was very sweet of Charlie.

Ditto. Charlie Harper wasn't a character I admired or even liked, in the end, but the fact that Alan inherited the house let me know that Charlie had loved his brother, even if he was a pain in the ass for him and his way of life. That was very touching to let his house to Alan, and not one of his girlfriends or even Jake.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 9:16 AM

Walden could be a 'Step-brother'

How many times has Evelyn been married?

Fonzie

Fonzie

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 10:08 AM

Counting her marriage to Teddy, five times.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 11:53 AM

It's been a while since I've seen the show, but from what I can remember, Charlie was a rather famous commercial jingle writer, wasn't he?

Wouldn't that mean his family would get royalties that could help pay for the house?

Look at Michael Jackson. Financially, dying was the best thing to happen to him.

Edited by Last Time Lord, Sep 23, 2011 @ 11:54 AM.

xmag

xmag

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

Walden could be a 'Step-brother'

I hadn't thought about that! Yeah, could be a possibility. After all, so far, Alan, Judith, Jake and Bertha met Walden, but not Evelyn. Wouldn't it be funny if Alan introduced her to the guy and she would be all "oh, Walden, that's you. You don't look like your father, but then, that's a good thing. And he wasn't the brightest pen in the box, too". Or something "nice" like that. And with Walden calling her "mother", or something like that, talk about a shock.

After all, he must be 10 years younger than Alan, and if Evelyn had been married to his father when he was around 8 or 9 and divorced one year later, that would explain why Alan wouldn't recognize the guy or even remember him, and vice-versa.

Of course, there's also the possibility that Evelyn never met Walden or his father.

Still, it would be funny if she had had a torrid affair with Walden's father, though, and have Evelyn's son+her ex-lover's son becoming roomates.

Wouldn't that mean his family would get royalties that could help pay for the house?

Hmm, I have no idea how that works, it's possible. But I mention Charlie saying at one point that his job was dying, that companies prefered to used songs rather than hire composers like him. So maybe there isn't a lot of money to get on that front. It wouldn't be as if the jingles he composed a few years ago would be regularly on tv and bringing lots of money in the form of royalties.

And about Charlie's royalties from his career as a singer for kids, the market is versatile, children love a singer than forget about him or her quickly and move on to another hero or singer or band. So once again, maybe there isn't a lot of money coming from that front either.

Edited by xmag, Sep 23, 2011 @ 2:37 PM.

Prevailing Wind

Prevailing Wind

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 5:04 PM

With the jingle market drying up, the only way he/his estate could collect royalties are from those compilations "TV Commercials' Greatest Jingles" type stuff. Y'know, where we all sing along with Speedy Alka-Seltzer..."Down, down, down the stomach to; round, round, round the system, too. With Alka-Seltzer, you'll surely say, 'Relief is just a swallow away.'" Can Maple Loops be far behind? BTW, WHY hasn't Kellogg's or General Mills come out with Maple Loops? They sound so good...

Kids might move on to other singers, but the parents remember. New kids get born and fall in love with Charlie Waffles. I think there's still a lot of money to be made in Charlie Waffles' stuff, especially if his management does like Disney - retire them and bring 'em back out for a limited run a few years later.

Clara2020

Clara2020

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 5:38 PM

Well, if I were writing the show, I would have it set up so that Alan rents to Walden at an exorbitant amount. It just seems wrong that the house is no longer owned by a Harper.

Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

Sad that Dharma and Greg have become the Bickersons, but unsurprised that Pete has left the lawyering to become a deliveryman.

Was that intentional? Joel Murray's been in alot of small roles lately, but the scene with him as a deliveryman occurred *right* after the Dharma & Greg scene. This episode was filled with cameos, so I could see Lorre hiring Murray as a more subtle one for D&G fans.

xmag

xmag

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 2:22 AM

Sad that Dharma and Greg have become the Bickersons

I took their scene as one of their usual antics, where they go somewhere and play roles. They used to do that in the show. Like when Dharma went shopping playing a german girl, or when Dharma and Greg played the role of a couple coming from the south and talking with a southern accent. Here, I saw them playing a bickering couple who wants to make the seller uncomfortable. But with Evelyn, it takes much more than that to make her uncomfortable, lol.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 11:29 AM

I see no reason why Walden has to be Alan's half-brother or step-brother. Why can't he just be a random recently-dumped billionaire who just happens to show up and wants to buy the house? I wouldn't be surprised if Evelyn tries to hit on him. She slept with Jill/Bill and the much-older husband (he had had an affair with Tuesday Weld) of the woman that Charlie slept with (not knowing that she was married), and maybe Martin Mull (I can't remember).

Walden can't be Alan's father's son, because he died when Alan was four, and they didn't freeze sperm back then.

Someone said that they should have googled to see if someone was really run over by a Paris subway train. Well, maybe they did. And they found out that Rose was telling the truth. Except that I think it's possible that, as others have said, maybe she's keeping Charlie locked up somewhere, and maybe it was a stranger who fell onto the tracks, and maybe she took advantage of the situation and claimed that it was Charlie. (No, I don't think that she deliberately pushed a stranger onto the tracks so that she could claim it was Charlie.) So that would explain how everyone believes her story, and that there's a death certificate in his name, and it leaves the door open for Charlie to return.

I wonder if they will tell us who is the executor of Charlie's will. Evelyn is acting as if she's the executor, saying that there isn't enough money and the house has to be sold, but that's something the executor has to figure out, and she never said that she's the executor. I rather doubt that Charlie named her as executor anyway. The sensible choice would be for him to name Alan as the executor.

Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 5:07 PM

I think if Alan was the Executor, he probably kow-towed to his mother when she said she would handle the estate herself. You know, 'she's a millionaire real estate agent, and Alan's a deadbeat chiropractor, so *obviously* she knows how to handle money and all that.'

It's really nice that Charlie left Alan his home in his will though.

So going off IMDb:
* Jennifer Taylor = 4 characters (Suzanne, Tina, Nina, Chelsea)
* April Bowlby = 2 characters (Kimber, Kandi)
* Steffani Brass = 2 characters (Debbie, Amy)
* Rachel Cannon = 2 characters (Nina, Chloe)
* Larry Cedar = 2 characters (Policeman, Announcer - possibly, but probably not, the same guy)
* Robert Clotworthy = 2 characters (TV announcer, Gangster - possibly, but probably not, the same guy)
* Brenand Patrick Connor = 2 characters (Middle Aged Guy, Clive - possibly the same guy)
* Jenna Elfman = 2 characters (Frankie, Dharma)
* Nicole Forester = 2 characters (Girl on answering machine, Camille)
* Magdalena Holland = 2 characters (Inga, Svetlana)
* Joel Murray = 2 characters (Petey, Doug - I thought they might be the same guy. Very possibly a crossover character with Dharma & Greg's Pete Cavanaugh)
* Jodi Lyn O'Keefe = 2 characters (Gail, Isabella)
* John Pirruccello = 2 characters (Helicopter Pilot, Larry the Superdad - possibly the same guy, haven't seen the episode to confirm)
* Liz Vassey = 2 characters (Kate, Michelle)
* J.D. Walsh = 2 characters (Ted, Gordon)

This episode isn't the first example of recasting in the series.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 8:24 PM

I've never cared much for this show, not being a fan of pre-teen male "humor", but have watched on occasion and tuned in out of curiosity because I like AK. I liked him on here, the charming dorky boy wonder and I liked poor abused Alan actually being a mentor rather than Charlie's butt monkey for a change. On soaps, whevever there are not identifiable remains it always means the dead guy will come back so maybe it was left open for some reason but I won't speculate and don't care.

I figured the funeral was just typical Lorre but I do think the famous farting disgusting Jake could have showed a little regret. Charlie was very good to the little shit many times and even tried to help him out in some ways that were good, as opposed to just trying to help him get laid or whatever. I didn't find the ex girlfriends appalling since C treated women so horribly but I would have thought FartBoy would be a little bit sad, and Evelyn. Nobody seemed to care a bit other than Alan.

Maybe Walden can bring some new life to this tired mess - It seems that Sheen started out as a somewhat charming horndog, weak but frequently kind character and sank over the years into a bitter nasty drunken joke, more pathetic than funny. Just get rid of Jake and the show might have some promise. He can go pump out septic tanks given his love for human waste products.

Nice to see Dharma and Greg.

Anniecake

Anniecake

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

I know some people say this is a show for teens. Yet our teens walk by when we're watching reruns and they call it "an old people show" meaning only old people watch it. LOL.

I too don't understand the hate shown by some ex-girlfriends at the funeral. There was no reason for them to behave that way. He treated many of them very well. Chelsea (if she was playing Chelsea, could have been Tina/Nina or whomever else she played) dumped him and he was crushed. Courtney scammed him and yet he said he'd wait for her as she was being carted off to prison. Isabella said she'd turn his manhood into a dried shrivelled up husk (lol). Just remembering that makes me see that I miss Charlie and the show without him would not be a show I'd want to watch. He was good in the role.

Jonas Quimby

Jonas Quimby

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 8:35 AM

I've never cared much for this show, not being a fan of pre-teen male "humor", but have watched on occasion and tuned in out of curiosity because I like AK. I liked him on here, the charming dorky boy wonder and I liked poor abused Alan actually being a mentor rather than Charlie's butt monkey for a change.

I've only ever watched the show sporadically, mostly because I never found it that funny, but I tuned it too, given Charlie Sheen's extremely public meltdown.

I would disagree that Alan was Walden's "mentor" -- after Alan dries him off and takes him out to a bar to console him, Walden acts like a dick. He goes up stairs -- in a stranger's house -- and has sex with the two women he and Alan picked up; obviously, neither girl had any interest in Alan. Seems to me, Alan is as much a "butt monkey" as ever, even to his pathetic whining "I masturbated and cried myself to sleep" line the next morning.

Also, is it supposed to be some kind of joke that Walden's "hung like an elephant"? I was always under the impression that Ashton Kutcher is a pencil dick. Didn't one of his ex-girlfriends say that about him (the one who died last year)? And on "That '70s Show, whenever they talked about Michael's "bulge," there was nothing to see.

xmag

xmag

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

Also, is it supposed to be some kind of joke that Walden's "hung like an elephant"? I was always under the impression that Ashton Kutcher is a pencil dick. Didn't one of his ex-girlfriends say that about him (the one who died last year)? And on "That '70s Show, whenever they talked about Michael's "bulge," there was nothing to see.

I'm... confused. Walden is "hung like an elephant", this was not about AK. He plays Walden, he isn't Walden in real life. I mean, Walden is worth 1.3 billions, it doesn't mean that AK is worth the same amount of money. Same for physical attributes. Sure, AK was naked but we didn't see anything, so...

I think it was just to show Alan being jealous of Walden's physical appearance.

Edited by xmag, Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:14 AM.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

The episode didn't strike me as any more or less funny than the ones with Charlie Sheen. Ashton Kuchter's character didn't strike me as remotely believable, but the rest of the casts played their usual roles with clockwork precision.

I loved Rose's funeral speech.

Samwil

Samwil

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 8:34 PM

Craptastic. That is all.

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 8:52 PM

I loved Berta's reactions to Walden tonight and I still like this show without Charlie Sheen. [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 26, 2011 @ 9:08 PM.
Boards on boards

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 9:05 PM

Honestly, why not write Jake out of the show if he's only going say three words an episode. Poor handling of him by the writers.

Okay episode. The Evelyn rough sex story was nausiating though.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

If you want to talk about Charlie Sheen the person, please find another place to do it, because it is off-topic here. We’re a TV site, not a gossip site. The only acceptable reason to mention Sheen in a post is if you’re discussing his performance as an actor in a rerun.

Original Cyn

Original Cyn

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

After a good buildup last week, tonight's episode sank like a lead balloon. If this is any indication of what future episodes are going to be like, count me out - I'll watch the early seasons in syndication.

Scholls1

Scholls1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

Are they writing AK's role this way, or is he really baaaad. He's like in a high-school play. I watched That 70's show infrequently, and maybe that's the extent of my impression of him. I thought he's been a lot ... and he seems to have some appeal (e.g. Punkd - never saw it but I'm apparently the only one, and there's some semblence of humor in those camera commercials - although not my style... but I think he's like an anchor on this show...

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

This was defintely a significant step down from last week. There was some funny stuff and Cryer did his usual good work. But if this is what's in store for the show this season, that's not a positive sign.

Kutcher's acting was awful and he's basically Kelso 2.0 here.

Honestly, why not write Jake out of the show if he's only going say three words an episode. Poor handling of him by the writers.

Seriously. He's had maybe three brief scenes in the first two episodes. They could be doing a lot more with him.

mitchelltrio

mitchelltrio

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

Angus is getting how much per episode for two or three lines?

It seems that the writers are going to milk the "tee hee, look at Ashton and Cryer in semi-homoerotic moments" schtick for all its worth. Don't get me wrong -- I laughed at the scene out on the deck, but it wasn't as fresh as last week's nekkid Ashton hug.

It occurred to me tonight that Ashton's character is being written (so far) as almost the anti-Charlie. He's married, still loves (loves, not lusts for) his wife, he talks about relationships and emotions (as opposed to hook ups), etc. Yet he's accused of being emotionally immature. I think his wife is confusing emotional immaturity with other types of maturity. (Yes, I realize this is fiction. Just musing as I think about this episode more.)

gnocchi

gnocchi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 2:48 AM

The shark, she has been jumped.

Meh... I could use another free half-hour on Mondays.

Tiger220

Tiger220

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 3:22 AM

I'm still trying to watch the episode, because every 6 minutes or so there's "playback issues (or maybe this video that just went up's expired!)" or a random minute-long commercial tacked on to the end of the last 2 seconds of commercial number 3. Sidenote: I swear, Hulu is the only one that has advertising with their streaming that works.

But from what I saw, I'm still enjoying it. I do like the Alan-Walden dynamic. I'm enjoying the things about Walden that make him different from Charlie, and they've done a good job of making Alan still be kind of a goober while reeling in the insane level of pathetic-ness that had built up.

Really, the only things so far that I haven't liked were the hypnotizing book, the scene on the deck (but only because it went on a little long) and Alan racing away from Evelyn's house right when she told him she'd need him. I really think that scene could have been saved though, if she had yelled once, he had gotten a panicked look on his face and maybe started to turn back only to hear her say "That's better" or something. Then he could have shrugged and left all "Oh, false alarm!" with a perplexed Walden by his side. Which then could have been worked into Alan's "Umbrella!" scene ("Not a false alarm! NOT FALSE!!")

I also adored that his girlfriend in high school was a poster of Molly Ringwald...and I've never even seen Pretty in Pink.

Regarding Jake, I'm inclined to believe that maybe Angus T. Jones is just busy or something, so maybe there's an external reason he's being cut short for these episodes. Or it could just be that they want to firmly establish Walden and how he relates to Alan. Because, really, that's a relationship you have to justify long before Jake really becomes a part of this new unit thing. I mean, I *suppose* Walden could have been all chummy with Jake and then became friends with Alan...but that seems weird and creepy.

So, unless the last 8 minutes or whatever do something to completely turn me off, I'm in for another episode. Also, Walden's ex is very familiar to me, but I can't place her and am too lazy to look it up.

Edited by Tiger220, Sep 27, 2011 @ 3:40 AM.

Nichael

Nichael

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 3:48 AM

Walden's ex is Judy Greer, who's probably most known for Kitty in Arrested Development and Cheryl on Archer.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 4:43 AM

I do not like AK so far but will probably watch one more week to see if they do start putting the kid in a little more. Like many others, I was not watching regularly anymore when Charlie Sheen's big meltdown began because the whole thing was not that funny with time and there was little change in the character of either Charlie or Alan. The supporting cast, however, was always good and I had hoped they would expand the parts of people already on the show instead of bringing in another man. The kid still has great comic timing and Berta, Rose, the mother, and even Herb were very watchable. I too find AK too much like his 70s show character and he was not my favorite on that show.