Two and a Half Men

• Please log in to reply

4042 replies to this topic

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

This show really makes me laugh, and I'm glad to see it back. Jon Cryer's really beginning to shine in his role. And Charlie Sheen did a great job with the "I can't have her, which means I don't know how to talk to her" dynamic. I was waiting for him to ask when her next birthday is, but better off that he didn't go there.

Tour de force for the maid too (forgetting both her IRL and character name right now).

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:18 PM

Last night's show was spectacular.

Each time they ran into the glass I laughed hysterically. The one thing I can't shake is that every time Jake comes on the screen, I keep thinking, when did they learn how to stop time and get Fredrick (Frasier's TV son) to play this role.

BTW, She was supposed to be 16??? How come there weren't any 16 year olds like that in my High School?

bonster

bonster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:29 PM

Tour de force for the maid too (forgetting both her IRL and character name right now).

I don't remember the character's name but I think the maid is played by Conchata Ferrell.

I also thought last night's show was funnier than it has been in the last while. I thought the Dear Prudence reference was funny, although I'm not sure what the average age of the viewing audience is and if the younger members would get the joke. For anyone who doesn't know, just in case, it's a Beatles song, I think from The White Album.

Edited by bonster, Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:32 PM.

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:43 PM

I don't remember the character's name but I think the maid is played by Conchata Ferrell.

The character's name is Berta.

I didn't care for this episode at all. I think the show is becoming more one-note and forced each week. For example, what would be the BFD about the maid's sixteen year old granddaughter sunbathing in front of an eight year old or however old he's supposed to be? Seriously, they live in California, surely the kid's been to the beach?

I don't know...it started out pretty funny, but it's losing me more each week.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:15 PM

Last night was the first time I've seen this show -- and I can't wait to watch again next week! It's about time Duckie got his own (successful) show! :)

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:28 AM

I think that Prudence (ironic name for the character, and I got the Beatles reference too) was flirting pretty much throughout, including while sunbathing...and that's probably too much for a ten-year-old boy...not to say I wouldn't have been thrilled if there was a Prudence around when I was ten.

fonemonkey

fonemonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:35 AM

I love that they're bringing Conchata Ferrell in as a recurring character. She's hilarious. Charlie Sheen is terriffic in this show. Way better than his last one. Appointment TV, fer sure!

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 3:58 AM

. For anyone who doesn't know, just in case, it's a Beatles song,

I got the reference. It was funny because I thought, "No, you twit, that was about Mia Farrow's sister". I don't think I've ever actually heard the song, but I'm always hearing how it was written about Mia Farrow's sister Prudence after their encounter in India.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:12 AM

Can't say that Monday's ep was among my favorites, but I've been pleasantly surprised overall. However, I think the show will have to show further character development or the introduction of additional characters (with staying power) fairly soon to remain viable.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 10:29 PM

Richard Lewis always cracks me up. His little example with the water and the cup was priceless. Looks like he lost weight though. Everybody can relate to money problems at one time or another. It's funnier though when it happens to Charlie.

Was it me or was that lady Charlie met in the supermarket kind of doing a Price is Right imitation when she was holding up the cheese and the vodka?

fonemonkey

fonemonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 12:39 AM

This has to be my favorite sitcom on right now. Anybody know if it's being renewed for next year? CBS was promoting it during the SuperBowl, so I guess that's a good sign.

Loved the part with Richard Lewis.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 12:47 AM

If it's indeed true that it's the most-watched new show (or new comedy or whatever the promo says), one would think that CBS wouldn't mess with success, unless it's to anchor an hour or night. But many stranger things have happened.

nerdyduck

nerdyduck

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 1:35 AM

It has been renewed for next season.

I liked this episode. I love how they have this continuity of the brothers' unstable relationship with their mother. And I think Rose is hysterical.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

I thought this was an "off" episode, but what I do like is that even what I believe are "off" episodes are very watchable, and that there are good things (like Rose) to be found there.

The writers have managed to flesh out the characters and main series storyline much more effectively than I would've guessed...which would explain why an "off" episode or two wouldn't appreciably harm the series. Things don't seem so desperate, as in the case for shows that are struggling to gain a foothold, storywise.

BoE

BoE

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

I thought the episode ended a bit abruptly, but overall I enjoyed it very much.

Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer have great chemistry and are perfect in their roles, though I'm not sure Charlie's role is that much of a stretch for him. Hee!

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 10:31 PM

Jenna Elfman playing a psycho mom. Not a bad job. She did look damn sexy beating that car with a baseball bat. Looking forward to next week's ep.

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 11:43 PM

Did anyone but me think this episode was a bit off? I was dying to find out Jenna Elfman's big secret and then <plop!> it's a kid! Followed by my worst enemy: the "To Be Continued" ender...

And the preview for next week was kind of weird - it seemed like they were bringing Jenna on for good as Jon Cryer's love interest with all the kissing and "You're gonna get laid tonight!" I dunno...an odd episode for me..

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

I also felt the episode was a bit off, but Jenna Elfman has always left me feeling that way, so I can't say it was the writing! Charlie Sheen got to show off his acting chops a bit, so I'm not complaining. Jon Cryer almost always gets an A+ from me.

BoE

BoE

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 9:36 AM

She did look damn sexy beating that car with a baseball bat. Looking forward to next week's ep.

I've never understood what the attraction is, but yeah, even I have to admit that she looked damn good last night...and this is coming from a married old lady.

The episode was a bit uneven, but I laughed through most of it, so it's all good.

Charlie Sheen got to show off his acting chops a bit, so I'm not complaining.

Charlie Sheen's facial expressions were priceless.

I missed Jake this episode. Usually I can't stand the kids in sitcoms, but I love Jake.

Mrs OldManBalls

Mrs OldManBalls

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 10:29 AM

JE ruined it for me.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 12:12 PM

Usually I can't stand the kids in sitcoms, but I love Jake.

He's not a cardboard cutout, but a kid who can actually act. Reminds me a bit of Randy (real name "Jonathan Taylor-Thomas"?) from Home Improvement.

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 1:14 PM

I cringe thinking about when Jake gets a bit older - he just won't be as lovable! I still remember when the show won best new sitcom on the People's Choice Awards and he said, "Soon, it will be Three Men!"

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 3:29 PM

I hope the Jenna Elfman Extravaganza is only a two-parter...unless there's a true WTF moment lurking in there, I don't see how this storyline could extend past another half hour without getting annoying.

JackiFL

JackiFL

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 5:59 AM

Word, Elliot. Please tell me it's over now? Cannot take much more of her "look at ME, how quirky I am, see how cute QUIRKY can be!" attitude. It would be easier to take if I knew she was actually acting.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 10:43 PM

I've heard of men becoming women but not the other way around.

"Well, good luck with the ...penis."

"Poker buddy?"

"Used to." And don't call me buddy.

Teflon balls. You learn something new everyday.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 10:47 PM

OMG, how funny was this tonight? The writers were REALLY on their game.

And do we have a continuing storyline?

nerdyduck

nerdyduck

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 11:17 PM

It's really good to see Chris O'Donnell again. Tonight's episode was very funny.

Teflon balls. You learn something new everyday.

True, yet very disturbing.

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 11:32 PM

This was certainly a very unique story tonight...I've never seen my dad cracking up so hard! But it was still very weird...Mom's sleeping with someone you slept with? Very soap-opera-like...only, not ;D

But we needed some Jake tonight! Imagine explaining that to a kid, lol.

BoE

BoE

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 10:50 AM

"Well, good luck with the ...penis."

"Poker buddy?  Used to."

I couldn't believe some of the lines they were getting away with. Absolutely hysterical. Everyone's reactions were so funny and dead on. I do hope this is a continuing storyline.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 10:56 AM

So is this was Chris O'Donnell's career has come to? I hope his character continues a bit here, I enjoyed him.

I especially like how Charlie Sheen was weirded out by this, but not excessively or obnoxiously. He saw the cosmic humor in it all, had no problem still being friends, and overall reacted about the way a real-life sensible adult would, while still bringing the funny. Lots of good lines; kudos to the writers.