Singing Their Praises: The Sopranos in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1001 replies to this topic

Finchster

Finchster

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 1:35 PM

This is from the print edition of the latest National Review. I thought is was a good insight.

Tony was a thug from the beginning, but he appeared to have a gentle side. Carmela once fretted over Tony’s lifestyle, Meadow was a sweet young girl, and A.J. was little more than an adorably chubby adolescent troublemaker. But time has passed — eight years now since the show’s debut — and the family’s narcissism has calcified. Their chipper domestic façade has crumbled before our eyes, revealing the full extent of the brutishness, the crassness, the selfish nihilism that drives these four lost souls. The show’s creators have not been kind to their quirky TV family, nor to the ideal it represents. They have piled on the sins and indulgences, stripped away the pretense of manners and civility, and left only the ugly, unsatisfied remains.

In its final season, especially, the show’s creators have let slip the all-encompassing depravity that was initially somewhat obscured, forcing viewers to face up to the suburban decay that was their true subject all along. Despite its reputation, The Sopranos was never just a gruesome thriller about the hard-living, dim-witted thugs and swindlers of mafia legend; it was a morality play about the toll that decadence and selfishness take on families.

RCSanders

RCSanders

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 1:38 PM

Berkeley Breathed predicts the end of the Sopranos:

God I loves me some Berke Breathed...

Opus should be saying "Ack", though, instead of "Gasp". ;)

Alias246

Alias246

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 8:34 PM

Entertainment Weekly's top 10 episodes.

There's also another article in the current EW - 6/15/07 - but I don't see it online yet.

smellyvalentine

smellyvalentine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 9:28 PM

Bobby Bacala tells Paris Hilton to stop "whoring around"

Sopranos" thug Steve Schirripa had some advice for Paris Hilton in her newfound freedom -- "Stop being a whore!"

Outside the TRL studios yesterday, Schirripa gave this special message to Hilton on TMZ cameras: "Stop whoring around Paris, behave yourself, you got a second chance!"

Words to live by.

view the video here: http://www.tmz.com/2...whoring-around/

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 1:46 PM

NY Times article, "One Final Whack at that HBO Mob" in the Arts & Leisure section today--sorry, not on their website (yet).

alsep73

alsep73

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 2:38 PM

I tried the " 10 best sopranos episodes" link and it didn't work... can anyone send me the "real" link or at least list the 10 best episodes?

The link worked fine for me, but here it is again

If that still doesn't work, here's the list, sans explanations (it's chronological):
  • "College"
  • "I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano"
  • "Amour Fou"
  • "Whoever Did This"
  • "Whitecaps"
  • "Irregular Around the Margins"
  • "Join the Club"
  • "Mr. & Mrs. John Sacramoni Request..."
  • "The Second Coming"
  • "The Blue Comet"

Princess Louie

Princess Louie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 7:20 PM

Here's Tom Shales' interview with David Chase from today's Washington Post:

David Chase talks about the series

hughster

hughster

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 9:47 PM

NY Times article, "One Final Whack at that HBO Mob" in the Arts & Leisure section today--sorry, not on their website (yet).

Here's the link.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 10:04 PM

The most surprising comment in the Times article:

But the glasses were never intended to define Junior. “Everyone else on the show has very large eyes,” Mr. Chianese said. “I have deep-set eyes. David wanted a consistent look. He’s a visual artist. So he gave me the glasses

I've never heard this before.

clancy25

clancy25

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 10:17 PM

What about Tony Sirico's comment about the Russian? Was he actually serious about that?

Circumvrent

Circumvrent

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 11:22 PM

Robert Iler was pretty great on The View Friday.

Co-host Kathy Griffin: So, what's it like when someone gets killed on your show?

Iler (looking to Elizabeth Hasselbeck, Joy Behar, and Barbara Walters): I don't know, what is it like?

It took a minute for them to realize he was talking about O'Donnell. A bunch of "ooohhh"s from the crowd. Iler yelled, "I'm kidding! I'm kidding!"

Uncool

Uncool

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2007 @ 12:50 PM

Circumvrent, I agree about Iler. I was very impressed with the way he handled himself. He was smart and charming (and funny). Who knew?

Jimbosil

Jimbosil

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2007 @ 10:15 PM

I propose a new term for the TV culture lexicon:

Meadowpark (noun): An ambiguous, sudden ending to a long-running television series.

"Oh my God, did you remember that last episode of the X-Files? What a fucking meadowpark that was..."

PS:
Here's the first article I can find on the finale.

Alias246

Alias246

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2007 @ 10:23 PM

'SOPRANOS' FINALE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST YOUR SET

alsep73

alsep73

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2007 @ 10:37 PM

Star-Ledger review of the finale

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2007 @ 10:55 PM

Tomorrow, TNT will have a marathon of Law and Order, each episode featuring a Sopranos castmember.

puck101

puck101

Couch Potato

• Location:http://www.myspace.com/puck101 http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2W4UEAOFG5P4O/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort%5Fby=MostRecentReview

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 3:08 AM

TIM GOODMAN at SF Gate--Review

It was like Tony hit the snooze button on an alarm clock. And in some way, he did. Our glimpse into the lives of the Soprano family ended in that instant. But the implication is that life for Tony Soprano goes on, and we'll all just have to guess at the end. Conviction or innocence? Mistrial? He gets hit by a bus or has a heart attack? Who knows? We'll never know. And it's better that way. If you're thinking there's a movie in the works, think again. It was supposed to end like this. Sunday night was not a cliffhanger waiting for a movie.
The perfect element to the final scene - other than scaring the bejesus out of most of the country and prompting calls to local cable companies - is that we don't know what happens. There is no answer.

There are also some comments below that provide additional food for thought.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 9:50 AM

Heather Havrilesky @ Salon.com

Vinny Vincenzo

Vinny Vincenzo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 11:20 AM

THAAAT'S What We Were All Waiting For? Angry 'Sopranos' Fans Crash HBO Website - Deadline Hollywood

ejluther

ejluther

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 11:31 AM

The Nielsen reality is that people don't watch TV closely anymore, much less remember what went on from week to week, to give such a subtle ending its proper due.

From the article above - I simply don't agree with this at all. If all TV is made for people who "don't watch closely", then it's time to throw away my TV set.

A Big Potato

A Big Potato

Fanatic

• Interests:http://www.myspace.com/foglianorules

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 12:41 PM

Well Buster Olney of BaseBall Tonight agrees with me that the finale stunk (he answered my question about it during his chat today.)

Jeff (NYC): Time for the topic on everyone's mind... The Sopranos finale. What did you think? Love it or hate it? Personally, I'm on the "hate it" end of the spectrum.

Buster Olney: (1:13 PM ET ) Jeff: hated it. Thought it was a creative cop-out. Imagine if every author ended books/movies with a 'I'll leave it to your imagination' ending. I've read a lot today from folks who are saying that it makes sense for Chase to do this, but c'mon... If they had all shared a meal together happy, that would have been fine, and if they had all gotten blasted, that would have been fine; there were many ways to end the thing, and I was disappointed that Chase picked no ending at all. But hey, the guy's done pretty well for himself...

This counts as media, right?

tashiann11

tashiann11

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 1:15 PM

The Washington Post story is here.

Tom Shales expresses the reason I liked the ending better than I ever could:

These great mythic characters, who have captivated HBO viewers for nearly a decade, are now suspended in space and the national imagination forever.

Just heard the review on NPR's Fresh Air. Very interesting summation. He also plays the audio of the last 15 seconds of the show which is just as jarring to hear as it was to watch. NPR story here.

Edited by tashiann11, Jun 11, 2007 @ 1:59 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 5:26 PM

Buster Olney: (1:13 PM ET ) Jeff: hated it. Thought it was a creative cop-out. Imagine if every author ended books/movies with a 'I'll leave it to your imagination' ending. I've read a lot today from folks who are saying that it makes sense for Chase to do this, but c'mon... If they had all shared a meal together happy, that would have been fine, and if they had all gotten blasted, that would have been fine; there were many ways to end the thing, and I was disappointed that Chase picked no ending at all. But hey, the guy's done pretty well for himself...

Funny, ESPN is all over The Sopranos. All the afternoon discussion shows, JRIB, ATH and PTI did a segment on the finale. Chase definitely got what he wanted. On PTI, Tony and Mike split, Tony pro and Mike con.

Alias246

Alias246

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

David Chase Finally Speaks Out

Mr Candy

Mr Candy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 10:08 PM

I have to say I am pretty shocked at the virulent hatred of the end of the show. Seems Chase himself went into hiding like Phil Leotardo. And I have a sneaking suspicion that there are probably more people than the DiMeo family put together who would like to see him get shot in the head and then have it crushed by a car.

Hopefully Chase will appease people in some form or another on that Tuesday article. Or at least apologise to the people who are cancelling their HBO subscriptions.

steambadger

steambadger

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 10:45 PM

sorry -- wrong thread

Edited by steambadger, Jun 11, 2007 @ 10:49 PM.

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 12:52 AM

Alias, I couldn't get your link to work, so here's the link to the Star-Ledger where David Chase speaks.

Edited by chitowngirl, Jun 12, 2007 @ 12:54 AM.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 12:54 AM

Here's The Star-Ledger's exclusive interview with Chase

Alias246

Alias246

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 1:32 AM

What Really Happened When the Screen Went Dark on "The Sopranos"

I think my fave is no. 9.

kff37

kff37

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 8:55 AM

LOL at the top 10. No. 9 was my fav too, although I let out a scream heard all the way to France. Loved the ending in retrospect, but felt the shock at first.