Bee Husbandry and Small Potatoes: Season 4

• Please log in to reply

1481 replies to this topic

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

Had to take a short break from my mytharc rewatch.  Real life intervened (the nerve!), but I was able to watch Talitha Cumi and Herrenvolk tonight.

At the moment, I'm starting to get a little confused again.  Just a few episodes ago, the Alien Bounty Hunter was after anyone who had anything to do with creating an alien/human hybrid.  But now he seems to be working with CSM & Co.  Are the aliens not aware that the Consortium is attempting to create their own hybrid?  I guess now that I think about it, they're not aware of that, are they?  I think we find out over the next couple of seasons that the Consortium has been pretending all along to be working with the aliens but actually are not.

So it looks like the ABH race wants to colonize the planet, and Jeremiah Smith's race wants to prevent that.  The Jeremiah in prison said that he (they, I guess) no longer believes in "the greater purpose" which I assume refers to colonization.  The Jeremiahs are gathering data about who has been tagged and inventoried (via their smallpox vacc).  I wonder if this is so that they can track them later if they are abducted and returned DeadAlive?  I'll have to keep that in mind.

The cable guy died shortly after being stung by the bee.  I wonder if that's what would have happened to Scully (!!!!!) if she had not been immediately put in the icy environment in FtF.  Once again it seems like the bad guys are out to hurt them, but maybe they aren't.  Interesting.

I wish they would have made the Plam a little more specific.  Because right now all it looks like is a retractable ice pick - there doesn't seem to be anything special about the tool itself, just that you have to stab the aliens in a very specific place.  But, I'm basing that on what the Samantha clone told Mulder in End Game and she didn't seem positive about whether or not anything else would kill them or if it had to be one of those tools.

Supper's ready, I'll be back in a bit with more thoughts.

Back.  Somehow I had completely missed until now that the Consortium set X up to see if he was feeding Mulder information (by telling him that Mrs. Mulder was going to be killed) and then shot him because they confirmed that he was.

CSM (to Mrs. Mulder):  I remember water-skiing down there with Bill. He was a good water-skier your husband, not as good as I was, but then that could be said about so many things...couldn't it?

I think I hurt myself laughing at that.  And then I felt nauseated at the thought of either Bill Mulder or CSM in bed.  *shudder*

When Mulder confronts CSM in the hospital, I think the way CSM says "I've known your mother since before you were born, Fox" is our first tiniest little clue that CSM is really his father.  Easily overlooked at the time, but the way CSM emphasizes his name seems like he's purposefully planting some suspicions in Mulder's mind.

Poor, soon-to-be-dead Pendrell.  He's finally getting to do some real investigative work for/with Scully.  His excitement and obvious admiration for her is so cute.

I'm not sure what Mulder thought he was going to accomplish by taking one of the Samanthas with him, but his interaction with her was so sweet.  I loved the way he held her hand as they walked around, his protectiveness was just so natural and instinctive.

Editing again - just watched Unruhe.  Of course it's not mytharc but it's such a good episode I couldn't skip it.

I know it gets frustrating that Scully is kidnapped and put into peril time and time and time again on this show, but looking at it as an overall arc it sure makes Mulder's decision to go out to Oregon alone in Requiem make a lot more sense.  But I'll talk about that more at the appropriate time.

There are times when it's painfully obvious that Mulder is the profiler rather than Scully, and Unruhe is one of those times.  She probably could have talked Gerry down if she had gone about it the right way, made him realize that he was hurting/killing the women he was trying to save rather than hurting the Howlers.  I don't mean to make it sound like a character flaw or anything, because as the scientist she would naturally have less patience with "mind games" than Mulder, it's just an observation.

Speaking of profiling, Mulder is so HOT when he's in profiler mode.  I love watching the way his mind makes the leaps and connections.  I legitimately got chills when he put together that Schnauz was set up behind the cemetery because of the six headstones in the picture and they took off to find Scully.  Good, good stuff.

Edited by Taryn74, Nov 3, 2013 @ 11:43 PM.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

Watched Musings of a CSM today.  Are we supposed to assume any of this crap is actually true?  Guh.  What a waste of 45 minutes.  (Sad thing is, I want to like this episode because I find CSM to be very intriguing and I enjoy the little glimpses we get here and there of the man behind the mystery.  Just...not in this episode LOL.  It really does just feel like a bunch of self-delusional crap that's not meant to be taken seriously.)

Him tossing identically wrapped identical ties at his employees with a completely toneless, inflection-free "Merry Christmas....Merry Christmas" made me laugh though.  I found that totally in character, and it amuses me that he and Mulder are both so socially retarded.  Like father, like son indeed.

I love that they got the same actor to play young CSM as they later do Jeffrey ...BUT... his mannerisms as CSM are totally off.

I guess we're supposed to assume that Young Bill Mulder, at this point, didn't even know that CSM knew Teena.  At least that's the way it seems when Bill showed him the picture of Teena and Baby!Mulder.  (And how *lovely* of that tricksy little Teena to send Bill and CSM both the same picture.  She's a real piece of work sometimes.)

Is it just me or do present day CSM, Bill Mulder, Teena, etc all look a lot older than they are supposed to be according to this episode?  The men could more easily be explained away, IMO, as they've got all the secrets weighing on them and stuff, but Teena should only be in her mid-50s present day and she easily looks 10 years older.  And not because she looks BAD or anything, because she's still a very attractive woman, she just looks older.  It's strange.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

Watched Tunguska/Terma last night.  I know they liked to do the "heavy" mytharc eps over 2/3 episodes, but this one just dragged and dragged to me.  I think it would have been better if they'd kept it to one ep. 

It bugs me when Scully acts like she's never seen something before when we know she has.  She is a very intelligent woman, even if she doesn't believe everything that Mulder believes she should still be able to tie more things together than she does.  She HAD ALREADY SEEN the oily film coating something and already knew it had ties with the black oil alien virus, yet she acted like it wasn't particularly noteworthy that the scientist's suit was covered with an oily film.  Jeez louise.

I don't like it when Skinner beats up on Krycek (and I like even less what he does later on in the series).  I know Krycek deserves whatever he gets, but Skinner should be better than that IMO.  He just seems to be sinking a little too low to me.

So the big revelation we get out of these eps is that the Russians are working on a vaccine and that they don't know the Consortium is also working on a vaccine.  Well, la-di-da.  I wish I cared more about that whole storyline LOL.  It would probably make these eps more enjoyable.

I'm watching Paper Hearts next because I don't want to skip this one.  And then - dun dun dunnnn - it's on to Never Again, Leonard Betts, and Memento Mori.  And I will be opening a new box of tissues before I get to that point, in preparation.

Paper Hearts is such a powerful episode.  I can remember discussion in the past about Scully seeming a bit irritated by Mulder in this episode, which makes it not as much of a fan favorite, but I really don't see that as much as I see the beginnings of her crumbling resolve to continue on with the X Files at all costs.  I do think she feels a bit exasperated with Mulder in this episode though, and for good reason.  She has stood up for him (against her own better judgement sometimes) and covered his ass more times than she can count, which is exhausting enough, but this time he went off on his own and put not only himself (and his career) in danger, but a young child as well.  And honestly, it makes it all the more appalling that he took Roche on that trip just to prove him wrong (if he didn't doubt Roche at all he wouldn't have tested him by taking him to the wrong house) because a young girl almost died just for him to prove a point.  Good Lord.  It's a wonder Scully didn't strangle him.

Well I made it through Never Again, Leonard Betts, and Memento Mori (in that order).  Looking at the production dates of the preceding eps, I kind of wish I had made myself suffer through El Mundo Gira (horrible) and Kaddish (not horrible, but not terribly interesting) first to get a better look at Scully's growing frustration which comes to a head in Never Again.  I may go back and rewatch these last few eps again in order of production date to really get a feel of where Scully is at before NA.  Like I said above, we're just starting to get a real glimpse of her growing frustration with it all in Paper Hearts (which actually comes before Tunguska/Terma in production order) and then it's already to the point of exploding in Never Again, so it feels a bit jumpy.  I wonder if it's a smoother transition when watched in production order.

Memento Mori is just a great as I remember it.  My word, what an episode.  It's dang near perfect in its content and execution.

I was right in thinking that they retconned a little bit from Nisei/731.  Back then they were saying that Betsy Hagopian had tumors all over her body that weren't responding to treatment, but now in Memento Mori the Kurt only says that the women all develop a brain tumor which kills them.  Not that big of a deal though, they've retconned worse in this show.  Heh.

I wonder if it's supposed to be implied that the Kurts were created from Scully's ova?  We know later that Emily looked just like Melissa as a child, so the biological genes seem to pass on, and it may not be a coincidence that the Kurts are redheads.  (Wouldn't it be cool if they had actually shown Charlie Scully at some point in the series and he looked like Kurt?  Hee.)

Got to go help my youngest with his math now....

Edited by Taryn74, Nov 7, 2013 @ 4:10 PM.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2013 @ 11:38 AM

Well I went back and watched some non-mytharc eps in S4 last night (in production order rather than air date order) and had this huge post typed up, then my laptop went wiggy and I lost it all.  So frustrating.  So I'm trying again.

My goal was to see things from Scully's perspective to get a clearer sense of her growing frustration with the X-Files, with Mulder, with her life in general (hey, it happens) before things kind of exploded in Never Again.  Here's what I observed:

TFWID - Scully has to watch dozens of people die in a mass suicide that the FBI couldn't prevent because they couldn't get all the information about the compound that they needed in time.  Meanwhile, Mulder spends most of his time exploring the idea that he has some eternal soulmate that he never before knew existed.  Even when Scully goes along with his theory, hoping that at the very least they can get some useful information, Mulder and Melissa both "conveniently" come back to their current selves before they can give any real information out.  Dozens of lives are lost while Mulder waxes poetic about souls mating eternal.  Gag me.  (One thing I do find interesting about Mulder's supposed past lives though, is that Scully is in a position of authority over him each time.  She was his father in Poland, and his sergeant in the Civil War.)

I skipped Sanguinarium, because ewwwww, and if there's anything to be gleaned from it I really don't care that much.

Paper Hearts - as I said above when I watched this one, I could definitely see Scully's exasperation with Mulder, and the beginnings of a possible loss of resolve to even stay with the X Files.  Again, a young child almost died at the hands of a child molester because Mulder went out on a limb and did his own thing.

Tunguska/Terma - Mulder travels to Russia, is imprisoned, tortured, and almost killed.  Scully is jailed for refusing to disclose his whereabouts.  Her statement to the Senate committee reads like a letter of resignation.  She flat out states that the shadow government that they face at every turn is preventing her from properly doing her job.

El Mundo Gira - Mulder drags Scully out on a ridiculous assignment again, chasing stories about some mythical monster while the local law enforcement laughs at them for caring.

Kaddish - I think the events in Kaddish affected Scully a bit.  It's easy to overlook because they aired Kaddish after Memento Mori, and putting it there it loses the way it fits into Scully's growing frustration, and coming right behind such an emotionally charged episode, it loses ALL of its emotional punch.  But here Scully has to watch a woman bury her fiancée two days before their wedding, and then in her grief create a monster because she never got the chance to say goodbye.  Something I had not really noticed before is that Ariel's father Jakob lost his entire village to the Nazis, he was only allowed to live because he was good at making ammunitions.  When Ariel announced her engagement to Isaac, it was the first time Jakob felt like his village - his family - had a chance to live on.  Then Ariel's husband was taken from her in a senseless act of hatred and fear, and that hope was lost.  Scully's sister was also recently taken from her, and Scully never got the chance to say goodbye to Melissa either.  I'm sure she probably empathized with Ariel quite a bit here, felt her loneliness and despair.  She may have even started to think about how her own family is falling apart, and how her life is seemingly wasting away, and none of them have anything to show for it.  Bill Jr. is still childless at this time, Melissa died childless, Scully is childless (and who knows about Charlie, heh).  Her life is probably starting to feel kind of pointless right now, which leads to a brewing resentment against Mulder (justified or not, we can't help how we feel - only how we act and respond).  It's at that point that we come to ----

(post is too long, dammit. somebody respond so I can post the rest of it, please!)

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

I haven't had time to do more than read your posts lately, but I'll come back to them and respond at some point.  In the interim, though, here's a post so you can keep going -- since Scully's attitude and actions in Never Again make all the sense in the world to me (I don't think it comes out of nowhere, I think it comes out of 3-1/2 years worth of experience, and I like that it's a build-up rather than one big thing), I'm enjoying seeing it laid out how her recent history alone provides ample impetus.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Thank you Bastet!  I emailed myself the rest of my post so I could C&P it here.  I need a life LOL.  But here it is -

Never Again.  Skipping the teaser setup with Ed Jerse, we start out with Scully being dragged to a secret meeting in the middle of the night, at the Vietnam Memorial of all places.  What better represents a pointless loss of life, and people's desperate desire to make meaning of what happened, than that?  And she has to stand there and listen to yet another guy spout off yet another ridiculous story while Mulder eats it up with a spoon.  She's already feeling like her life is wasting away with nothing to show for it, she's probably feeling like her father was right when he didn't want her to leave the medical field and join the FBI, that if she had stayed in medicine at least she would really be doing something to help people, and that this is never going to change.  It is never going to get better.  There are people out there making a real difference in the world, and here she is, in the middle of the night, listening to a guy with a thick Russian accent recap an episode of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. 

So, deep in melancholia, she shows up for work the next day where Mulder (pissed about her walking off in the middle of his interview with the Russian the night before) is acting like a real prick.  He is oblivious to her mood and only makes things worse when he mocks her feeling like she doesn't really belong there (her lack of a desk) and drops the 'this is my life's work, you were only assigned' bomb.  Then he announces that he's leaving for a week's vacation so he doesn't have to lose eight weeks' worth of vacation pay (like, really, Mulder? Since when do you care about either following the rules or money?) but he wants her to follow up on his stupid Russian contact from the night before while he's gone.  He gets all pissy and superior when she says no.

(Note to Mulder - you're an effing profiler, dude.  Reading non-verbal cues is part of your job.  You might want to remember that before you die a horrible, painful death at the hands of your pretty, pretty partner.)

So Mulder leaves and even though she doesn't want to, Scully does the job she was assigned like a good little Agent.  But she's already feeling rebellious and pretty damned pissed off about the whole thing, so she decides to hook up with the tortured, hot guy she happens to meet while looking into the Russian contact she was assigned to look into.  Yada yada yada, dude is suffering crazy hallucinations, almost kills her.

Back at the office.  Mulder STILL doesn't get it and razzes her about being the first to personally show up in the X Files twice.  To her immense credit, Scully doesn't jump up and strangle him with her bare hands.  Mulder finally, finally catches a clue when Scully just sits in silence, and not-at-all-sarcastically asks if all of this was really because she doesn't have a desk (in other words, because she really doesn't feel like she belongs here).  But Scully, while still angry, has started to come to terms with her life and her choice to be where she is, and answers that this isn't about Mulder, it's about her and her life.  Mulder, adorably IMO, doesn't seem to realize that his life and her life aren't completely intertwined and starts to protest, but realizes he's probably still making it worse (yes, sweetie, you are) so he shuts up before he finishes the sentence.

I think Never Again ends with Scully still perturbed, but she's made peace with the fact that this IS her life, and so she chooses to continue on with Mulder and the X Files.  The tension between the two of them seems to have dissipated by Leonard Betts, for which I'm thankful because I wouldn't like the implication that they only "made up" because of her cancer diagnosis in Memento Mori.

I actually watched Unrequited last night too, because it's one of those sleeper episodes that I enjoy for some reason even though it's not great, but there wasn't much about Scully or Mulder either one to comment on.  I did feel a little ping of heartbreak when Mulder angrily said to Skinner at the end that not only were they denying Teager's life, they were denying his death, because at this point that really could happen to any one of them.

Next up - Tempus Fugit and Max, where two of my favorite secondary characters (Pendrell and Max) bite the big one.  Sigh.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

Watched Tempus Fugit and Max last night.  I'm so sad to see both Pendrell and Max gone.  Max died as he lived, a pawn in the game between the government and the aliens.  It just makes me so sad for him that they wouldn't just leave him alone, you know?  He never asked for any of this.  Max is, IMO, what Mulder would have been if Mulder didn't come from an already powerful family and/or didn't have someone (CSM) looking out for him and guaranteeing his safety as much as he was able.  Max died because he was a nobody, plain and simple.  *sniff*

And Pendrell!  Poor, dead Pendrell.  Even though it was an accident and Pendrell was only shot because he stepped into the bullet's path, I truly believe he would have chosen to take a bullet for Scully if he had known it was going to happen.  I don't mean that in some lovesick way, but as a federal agent himself, Pendrell understood the importance of sacrifice.  He was a good man.  Still somewhat young and a little inexperienced, but a good man.  I'll miss you, Pendrell.

I think this is the first time the events of these two eps has even made sense to me.  Max is on this plane, carrying a piece of equipment he had Sharon (his "sister") steal for him.  The equipment was built by our government but based on alien technology.  He was taking it to Mulder.  There was an assassin on the plane who meant to kill Max and steal the equipment back, but the plane was intercepted by aliens first (who also meant to take the equipment).  Unfortunately for Max and the other passengers, the alien craft was then shot down by another plane and the connection between the alien craft and the first plane was broken, which meant they couldn't safely put Max back on the plane and close it all back up.  Louis Frish and Armando Gonzales were the two men on duty in the watchtower the night of the incident.  As far as they know, they were ordered to have a passenger jet fired upon and deliberately crashed.  They didn't know that what was actually being fired upon was the alien craft, but the passenger jet crashed anyway because the connection between the two had been broken too soon.  Gonzales either killed himself out of guilt, or was killed because he threatened to tell the truth.  After Gonzales' death, Frish went to Scully and told her the truth about his involvement.  She tried to get him safely transported so he could testify, but after failing to have him killed on the way, the NTSB planted lies about the incident to discredit any testimony he may give.  Since Frish was the only remaining witness willing to tell the truth, his story would not hold any weight.

Sharon had a second piece of the equipment, which the aliens took back when they abducted her from her hotel room and then dropped her off out by the lake.  The third and final piece, they took back after Mulder picked it up from the airport.  Since it was in the possession of the man who shot Pendrell at the time, he was the one the aliens abducted to get it.  I'm guessing they dropped him off safely somewhere afterward.  Pity.

I get to watch Small Potatoes next, yay!  I need a bit of lightheartedness.  Then Zero Sum (which I remember as painfully boring, but maybe it will be better that I remember), Elegy (not listed as mytharc, but I think if LB is mytharc then Elegy should be too), and the extremely angst-ridden duo of Demons and Gethsemane.  The quality of the eps goes nowhere but up from here on out, IMO, aside from a few clunkers now and again.  I'm really looking forward to the rest of my rewatch.

Well SP was as much fun as I remembered it, heh.  I know DD had to have a blast filming the scenes as Faux Mulder.  The scene where he's checking himself out in the mirror with all of his smooth FBI moves had me in tears laughing.  The upside-down badge, the dropped clip.  Heeeee.

And hey, Zero Sum wasn't even the boring ep that I thought it was, so yay!  (I was thinking of the other Skinner-centric one that comes later, the one with the nanobots of doom.)    Damn, I had forgotten we got confirmation that Marita was working with CSM too.  Why can't Mulder just have a friggin' trustworthy informant, just once?

I know the Consortium believes they are completely above ever getting caught or anything, but they take some pretty big risks.  It may be a long shot for anyone to put the pieces together to suspect foul play in these bee incidents, but it's not an impossibility.

Edited by Taryn74, Nov 11, 2013 @ 2:40 PM.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

I am now to the end of S4.  Haven't watched Gethsemane yet, but I'll watch it at the same time as Redux I and II and comment on it in the S5 thread with them.

Elegy is such a heartbreaking episode.  I really felt for Harold.  I have a nephew who is autistic who shares a lot of the same behaviors and obsessions as Harold, so it literally shattered me to see the nurse taunting him and treating him the way she did, and to see his fear and intense desire to get everything back to "normal".

I honestly don't understand Mulder's anger toward Scully at the end of the episode, when she admitted that she had seen an apparition of one of the victims.  And then she goes out to her car and cries, probably remembering what the counselor said about her underlying fear being that her illness is going to make her fail to do her job - to fail Mulder - and probably feeling like that's exactly what's happening.  *sob*

Demons is a really good, intense episode, but it's hard to follow everything and tie it all together at the end.  Mulder kept insisting he recognized the house Amy Cassandra was painting, that he had been there as a child, but since the Cassandras had never been brought up before and are never mentioned again (as far as I remember), I'm going to assume that he was just confused and his memories from childhood and the present were all running together because of the "treatment" he was undergoing.  He had never actually met the Cassandras before this weekend and had never before been to the old house.

This is all speculation on my part, because they do a really poor job tying everything together in this ep, but here's what I'm thinking happened during Mulder's "missing" weekend -

He reads about Amy Cassandra in a publication of Abducted magazine.  He sees that she lived near the summer house in Quonochontaug and wonders if she had any connection to his parents.  He contacts her and drives up to meet with Amy and her husband, checking in at the motel on Saturday before meeting with them.  Amy tells him about the treatment she's been undergoing which has been restoring her lost memories.  He (like the total IDIOT he can be) goes and has one of the treatments himself.  Amy drives him to her old house, leaving his car behind at the doctor's.  Amy then flips out like the cop later does and uses Mulder's gun to kill her husband and then herself.  Mulder may have been in the room at the time of the shooting and just out of it, or he may have come in later and found them.  He then drives Amy's car back to the motel and passes out, waking up early Sunday morning with no recollection of what happened.  Again, this is pretty much all speculation on my part, but I think it all fits with what we do see.

Mulder's confrontation with his mother was fabulous.  He was so angry and disgusted with her he couldn't even look her in the eye with Scully in the same room.  The more I rewatch this show, the more I think that Mrs. Mulder has just been playing dumb with Mulder all this time.  You'll notice she never directly answers any of his questions, ever, she always either pretends not to remember anything or she gets angry and evasive.  I'm honestly beginning to wonder if she and CSM had a thing before Bill Mulder was ever even in the picture, and if she was a part of the project before Bill was.

I noticed watching this time that Mrs. Mulder telling Mulder way back when that the decision to take Samantha was "his father's choice" rather than hers, was all too true.  It was CSM she was screaming "not Samantha!" at in Mulder's memories, not Bill.

It's a little strange seeing such a different Young!Mulder this time than before, but IMO this one looks a whole lot more like what Mulder would have looked like as a 12 year old.  I think Chris Owens did a better job at CSM's coldness this time than he did in Musings too.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

I just finished Gethsemane.  I'll comment on it in the S5 thread with the Reduxes (Reduxii? lol) like I said earlier, but watching the episode reminded me of when I was watching the show in real time, after S4 ended (with Mulder apparently dead and Scully near death) they started playing ads for the XF reruns with the tagline something like "see it all again for the first time."  Well, by the time S5 started I had managed to convince myself that the new episodes were just going to be going back and retelling the old cases through Scully's viewpoint, that both of them were going to be dead and the show was just going to basically be a rehash of itself.  I was SO mad.  Heh.

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

Having taken a superlong break from entertainment and sleep for exams, I watched the last few episodes of season 4 today. 

Zero Sum: Well, at least I understand the meaning of this thread's title now. Marita Covarrubias has a great voice. But other than that, Skinner, bees, smallpox, zzzzz. 

Elegy: I don't think I've ever seen a show where so many episodes take place in an institutional/group home setting. This one was quite well done, although the revelation about the nurse seemed somewhat out of the blue. Also, a black person on the X Files! (Harold's lawyer.) This brings the total up to like, 5, not counting that episode where everyone was a Haitian immigrant. I take back my complaints about not really seeing Scully deal with the everyday of her cancer, because this was just heartbreaking. 

I honestly don't understand Mulder's anger toward Scully at the end of the episode, when she admitted that she had seen an apparition of one of the victims.

I think it was a combination of a bunch of things, not the least of which was frustration at Scully's constant refrain of 'I'm fine' even when she's bleeding all over medical records (and the knowledge that she's probably lying to him). And added frustration/anger that she saw an apparition but once again didn't want to believe. Plus Mulder hasn't really dealt with her having cancer at all. But also, Mulder can be kind of a dick. As evidenced by the next episode - 

Demons: I thought this episode was kind of a mess, story-wise (there's no way the cops would have been convinced of Mulder's evidence quite that easily), but it was compelling enough that I didn't really care. On the "Mulder is a dick" note, this was the most egregious Scully-ditch yet. Even worse than Herrenvolk, because in that episode all Scully had to deal with was that blonde meaty clone dude but here she was left in Mulder's mother's house, in a bottomless pit of awkward. Protip, Scully: stay in the car next time. Also, I'm having some trouble believing Mulder is quite dipshit enough to allow someone to drill holes into his skull. Though I hope I don't seem to harsh about Mulder generally, because I do sympathise with him a lot in this episode and Gethsemane as he so desperately tries to hold on to the beliefs that he has built his life upon. 

Gethsemane: OK. I enjoyed this as I watched it, but also - what the fuck? I've railed on about not understanding the point of there being a government conspiracy re: aliens, and this really solidified it. So according to Kritschgau, the government has been creating an elaborate web of lies, including planting a fake alien body in ice that was poured into a cave or whatever so that it would have the right number of sedimentary layers. And the point of all this, including (somehow) giving Scully cancer and dropping over half a dozen bodies in this episode alone, was to convince Mulder of what he already basically believed, i.e. that aliens are real and the government is hiding it? I could maybe buy this if we were only talking about this episode, but -- the black oil! Silent worker children who look like Samantha! Killer bees who carry mutant smallpox! Clones with green blood! Just, nope. I've never followed the mytharc stuff properly to begin with, but this is too damn much for me. 

Mytharc aside, these last two episodes also had some great character development. Mulder's obvious mental instability and increasing desperation; that scene right before his obviously-not-real suicide, where he's watching that video and crying, was fairly tragic. And Scully having to deal with the idea that the in quest she's dedicated her life to she's been nothing but a pawn, and all she's got to show for it is terminal cancer. 

Anyhow. On to season 5! Thinking about this season as a whole, it's really a mixed bag IMO. Episodes were either fantastic or deathly boring, with very few in-betweens. Humorous episodes like Small Potatoes and Humbug aside, it also felt a lot darker than other seasons have, what with the addition of Scully's cancer and the numerous hints while the truth is out there, it's a boring/useless truth that goes a lot deeper than anyone imagined. I'm not sure I'd say that season 4 rates above season 3, but the numerous fantastic individual episodes make it at least come close.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

the numerous hints while the truth is out there, it's a boring/useless truth that goes a lot deeper than anyone imagined.

HA!  Just wanted to say this line cracked me up because it really, truly feels that way sometimes.

Back to post more, because I was leaving earlier and didn't get to comment much -

I've railed on about not understanding the point of there being a government conspiracy re: aliens, and this really solidified it. So according to Kritschgau, the government has been creating an elaborate web of lies, including planting a fake alien body in ice that was poured into a cave or whatever so that it would have the right number of sedimentary layers. And the point of all this, including (somehow) giving Scully cancer and dropping over half a dozen bodies in this episode alone, was to convince Mulder of what he already basically believed, i.e. that aliens are real and the government is hiding it?

That's exactly why I don't think the hoax was a hoax at all, because if it was, that's an awfully lot of time and resources spent to make someone who already believed, believe...more?  I mean, huh? 

I do believe that Kritschgau thought the story he told Scully was the truth, but I believe the alien they found in the ice cave was the real deal and the Consortium fed Kritschgau the lies they wanted him to pass on to Scully.  Sometimes the best place to hide something is in plain sight, because it's unexpected.  Gethsemane wasn't about making Mulder believe, it was about reinforcing Scully's disbelief.  Scully was never meant to actually examine the alien - that part was true enough - but it was because she would be able to prove it was real, not because she would expose it as a fake.

Edited by Taryn74, Nov 24, 2013 @ 12:16 AM.

DX13

DX13

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 23, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

Rewatched 'Small Potatoes' last night.  Great episode.

At the end when Mulder goes to see Van Blundht, he's not in a great mood.  And when Scully tell him that he's not a loser and he replies "he's no Eddie Van Blundht either", he says it in a pissy tone.  What do you think that means?

I think he's pissed at himself.  When he first busts into Scully's apartment when Eddie is posing at him, he has a look on his face that says "what is this shit?"  I took both that look and the line at the end to say that he sees that Scully might in fact be interested in him romantically and he should have moved on that.  But another part of him wonders if she really was interested in the real him or the fake him.