Bee Husbandry and Small Potatoes: Season 4

• Please log in to reply

1481 replies to this topic

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

From the different television shows I've watched over the years, it seems as though some sort of reference to the bedsheets (or "flipping over the couch cushions" in the event of having sex on a couch) seem to be the TV way of denoting unprotected sex (at least the way I see it), as it's not necessarily graphic but it gets the message across. So when Ed Jerse's tattoo yelled at him to "burn the sheets!" were the writers...

A) going along with the TV "lingo" and implying unprotected sex

or

B) simply demonstrating the extent of "Betty's" jealousy and rage by having not only Scully destroyed, but the sheets that her body touched the night before

I personally think (and hope) that it's B, because not only is Scully a smart woman, she's a doctor, and by the time they returned to Ed's apartment she seemed to be pretty much over whatever minor effect (affect?) the alcohol may have had on her. I also follow the ORIGINAL plan for the episode order, with NA airing before LB and cancer not being on her mind at all. However, even if I did follow the opposite order with LB airing before NA, I still don't think she'd be stupid and throw caution to the wind simply because she woke up with blood on her pillow.

What do you guys think?

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Claire, I've never connected NA and LB to her cancer--those were separate for me. To me, NA was just about her relationship with Mulder. Also, I don't think Scully would be so reckless as to have unprotected sex/sex with Jerse because she found blood on her pillow. I just think she reached a point where she started rebelling against Mulder because of various reasons. Despite treating each other as equals, Mulder did have more power in the partnership as far as titles are concerned. I can't remember what she said exactly about her relationship with authority figures, but it she associated it with Mulder as well.

So, I'll go with B. I just think Betty was incredibly jealous and wanted to burn anything Scully touched. I haven't seen this episode in a while.

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Having Leonard Betts air before Never Again was perfect. Never Again works as the episode in which Scully was afraid that she had cancer but didn't know for sure yet. It serves as a good bridge between well Scully and ill Scully of season 4. Having seen Never Again a few days ago, I'm convinced Scully didn't have sex with Ed(?). One scene ends in his apartment at night, grasping her wrist, as they stare into each other's eyes. They are almost frozen in a tableau at scene's end that could be erotic or potentially confrontational. The next morning, he wakes up in the livingroom wearing jeans and a t-shirt, on his couch. Scully's in the bedroom, door closed, wearing one of his long sleeve shirts. They don't interact with any more intimacy than they did the night before. The spiciest moment of the episode was Scully's seeming pleasure response at the pain of being tattooed. Of course we don't get to learn anything further about kink-Scully.

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

double post

Edited by Fungi Wisdom, Jan 1, 2013 @ 6:24 PM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I disagree, and still resent the implication - that Scully's attitude and actions in Never Again were motivated by her cancer fears - the re-ordered airing creates. That chaps my ass even more than the fact Chris Carter felt compelled to add ambiguity to the script, creating a situation in which it's possible to come away thinking Scully didn't get any that night. The show is rife with examples of how to craft scenarios lending themselves to differing, even competing, yet equally reasonable interpretations, but I don't find this one of them. I understand Morgan & Wong wishing they had fought for the original script, because I think CC really did a disservice with his Victorian meddling.

I know I bitch about this every time the subject is raised, but it just makes me that angry.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

I disagree, and still resent the implication - that Scully's attitude and actions in Never Again were motivated by her cancer fears - the re-ordered airing creates.

I prefer the re-ordering, because without it, Scully's attitude and actions in "Never Again" are motivated by... nothing. Oh yeah, she says that she's discontent with her lot in life, but we saw nothing resembling that in any of the episodes leading up to this point - or really, in the entire run up to now (you'd think something like, oh, I don't know... HER SISTER'S DEATH might have made her stop and consider if it was all worth it, but apparently not). For me the cancer element gives some weight to a story that would otherwise be pretty damn silly (I mean really, Scully - if you want a desk, just go and requisition one. If you want a personal life, go and get one. If you don't like working on the X-files anymore, request a transfer. Why should your lack of action be Mulder's fault?) Without something like the possible cancer as a catalyst for her pausing to take stock, Scully's whining in "Never Again" is just a cheap gimmick to get her into an out-of-character situation for one "very special" episode, after which she would go back to being her professional self as if the events of NA never happened. And think about it: if "Never Again" had aired before "Leonard Betts", we would have had Scully deciding she needed a life and taking some steps to get one, and then in the next episode being rewarded with cancer. Nice message, there.

I believe it was the network's decision to air "Leonard Betts" first, because they wanted LB to be the episode that aired directly after the Super Bowl that year, so I don't think there was much Morgan and Wong could have done about that anyway. But IMO the network did them and their talking tattoo a big favor. Those of us who watched the show the first time around had no idea the episodes were out of order, because the sequencing made perfect sense. Learning after the fact that the episodes were switched didn't make me fling my remote down in disgust. Morgan and Wong can bitch about it all they want, but IMO they're wrong.

As for the did-they-or-didn't-they-have-sex issue, either way it makes no difference whatsoever to anything. As far as I'm concerned, either interpretation can work, and anyone is free to choose whichever one they prefer. And even if the scene had been presented without ambiguity, it still would make no difference whatsoever to anything.

Edited by azzurro, Dec 31, 2012 @ 4:20 PM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

I prefer the re-ordering, because without it, Scully's attitude and actions in "Never Again" are motivated by... nothing.

I find it motivated by the past four years, at least, of her life.

And think about it: if "Never Again" had aired before "Leonard Betts", we would have had Scully deciding she needed a life and taking some steps to get one, and then in the next episode being rewarded with cancer. Nice message, there.

I don't take that message when I watch the episodes in their original order. Unlike placing LB before NA, I don't think the original ordering implies any sort of correlation between the events of the two episodes.

I believe it was the network's decision to air "Leonard Betts" first, because they wanted LB to be the episode that aired directly after the Super Bowl that year, so I don't think there was much Morgan and Wong could have done about that anyway.

I wasn't referring to the reordering when speaking of their regrets (as you note, they had no control over that), it was their on-the-way-out-the-door acquiescence to Chris Carter's tinkering with the script that came to bother them.

Carrie123

Carrie123

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 11:06 PM

I don't think that interpreting the events of Never Again as partially motivated by Scully's health concerns nullifies the fact that they were also motivated by the past four years of her life - the cancer scare just seems like an impetus to get her thinking about her life and her relationship with Mulder. I don't see it as, like, Scully thinks she's sick so she GOES CRAZY! But I think the cancer scare gives some context to her being self-reflective and feeling discontent.

I prefer the interpretation that she did not sleep with Ed which I think is supported by the show (given that he woke up on the couch). I don't think it makes a huge difference either way and actually never really got why some fans felt that strongly about it. It doesn't really validate anything else in the episode. I actually do think one night stands can be empowering, but in this case, for Scully, it just seems like actually having sex with Ed would have created more regret for her after he goes nuts and why should she regret her one one night stand in 4 years?

jr23tw

jr23tw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

I'm with Bastet in that I prefer to view NA before LB. For me it's mainly because I rather have Scully question her life without a health scare in sight. And it's not like there were no signs to indicate that she was unhappy or not satisfied with where her life was. Or her job for that matter.

One has to only watch Paper Hearts very carefully and pay close attention to Scully's reactions. Bless GA for being such a brilliant actress. In many instances Scully looks like she has had it, literally. It's not the first or last time Mulder goes off the reservation because of his sister or his quest. He lets himself be willingly manipulated and nothing Scully says or does can stop him. But she gets swept along because she is his partner and friend and sometimes the consequences affect her directly.

Skinner wasn't exactly helping matters when he made her Mulder's keeper (not the first or last time either). And then basically blaming her that Mulder sprang Roche from prison because she was supposed to watch him. I mean what was the woman supposed to do. Tuck Mulder in and then handcuff him to something and put all phones out of reach? Again you can see on her face in that scene how fed up she is.

And at the end of the episode the look she has on her face when she leaves Mulder's side says resignation to me. But I guess everyone interprets things differently so this is just how I see it.

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

It doesn't matter to me either way whether Scully had a one night stand in NA. The episode strongly indicates that it didn't happen though. It is fair enough to suggest that the health scare combined with the events of the previous four years would make her question her life and choices. Placing NA after LB, though, still makes sense because feared health issues can expedite questioning about one's life path.

jr23tw

jr23tw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

Never mattered to me either if she got lucky or not. For me it's just better storytelling. To have her question not her life in general but her job, her relationship with Mulder and her role in that relationship. Because the events unfolded the way they did as a direct result of how the episode began with Mulder being his usual self-centered self. Couple that with Paper Hearts and other episodes before that and it makes sense to me.

After NA/LB we go right into Momento Mori and we don't see her questioning the same things she did in NA. After the confirmed diagnosis she has the opposite reaction. She is where she wants to be with whom she wants to be and she isn's wondering if that's what she wants any longer.

But again for me it works better from a storytelling point that way...

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

Do you folks think that the act of getting the tattoo (being penetrated by a phallic object and having fluid injected into her) was the writers using symbolism to say to the audience "yes, she had sex later that evening and it was unprotected"?

I personally don't think they had sex (nor do I want them to have had since I'm a huge shipper) so I like the use the fact that Jerse slept on the couch as just one of the many pieces of evidence that they didn't have sex, but those who think they did have sex could use that fact to say that they did have sex and that Jerse simply didn't want to sleep in the "wet spot". Do you think there's any possibility that the latter is true?

Edited by Claire999, Jan 9, 2013 @ 7:20 PM.

jr23tw

jr23tw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 9:22 AM

I've never used the fact that they didn't sleep in the same bed as a sign that they didn't have sex. For two reasons actually. First of it's not like Scully and Jerse were a couple in love that just did it for the first time. They were still strangers and it was potentially a one night stand. Sleeping in the same bed might be awkward for both. Second we know Scully has major intimacy issues and the whole snuggle and cuddle thing just weirds her out (I refer to the look Scully has in Requiem when Mulder climbs into bed with her).

And yes I know the panty hose police will say it's enough evidence she was still wearing her panty hose. Problem is that she wasn't wearing them in all the scenes they shot. When Scully is about to sit down in front of the computer after the 2 cops left I swear her feet are bare. You can see the toe on her right foot move in a way that would be impossible if she was wearing anything over her foot. So for me the panty hose thing is just a continuity mess that happened after Carter decided on major changes to the script and adding his damn ambiguity.

Personally I don't care one way or the other if she got some. If she did good for her. If not then...poor thing. Everyone deserves some fun once in a while and to relieve some stress. Well unless you are a woman on a Chris Carter show apparently...

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

If two people were comfortable enough to have intercourse with one another, they should be comfortable enough to go to sleep in the same bed together afterwards. I know people who have had one night stands before and they say that it's pretty rare for them to NOT sleep in the bed together afterwards.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

It's all just personal preference; I wouldn't stay after a one off, let alone share the bed. But Scully didn't have the option of leaving, so not having to share the bed is the next best thing; it was nice of Ed to take the couch and let her have the bed. I wonder if they woke up separately in the original script. I don't know whether Chris added that to create ambiguity or if all he did was have the scene end up against the wall.

The pantyhouse are meaningless to me, since the shot of them isn't deliberate; it seems to me she just happened to have them on when they shot that scene.

jr23tw

jr23tw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 7:15 PM

If two people were comfortable enough to have intercourse with one another, they should be comfortable enough to go to sleep in the same bed together afterwards.

Well same could be argued about Mulder and Scully in Requiem. If you subscribe to the idea that Mulder is William's father then they have had sex at some point prior to the episode. They have known each other for years. Yet Scully was uncomfortable with Mulder getting into bed with her. And hell they were fully clothed.

I think Scully can make a destinction between sex as being purely physical and emotional intimacy. She has no issues with the physical but removes herself from any intimacy. It's no different from her being ok with hugging Mulder or kissing his forehead and such. Yet she always removes herself from a situation before things turn too intimate. And it's almost always her who leaves first.

She changed I think once Mulder went missing. I wouldn't be surprised if she did a lot of thinking and regretting during that time. The bed scene from The Truth was the first time I saw her be really comfortable with intimacy.

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 7:35 PM

I didn't get the impression that Scully was at all uncomfortable being in bed with Mulder in Requiem.

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

" I wonder if they woke up separately in the original script."

In the original script they did not show Ed waking up on the couch. Rather it jumped right to Scully waking up. The way I see it CC added Ed waking up on the couch to say to the audience that they did not have sex. Otherwise why add it?

Do you folks think that the act of getting the tattoo (being penetrated by a phallic object and having fluid injected into her) was the writers using symbolism to say to the audience "yes, she had sex later that evening and it was unprotected"? Or am I reading too much into it?

Edited by Claire999, Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:05 PM.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 12:30 AM

It's all just personal preference; I wouldn't stay after a one off, let alone share the bed. But Scully didn't have the option of leaving, so not having to share the bed is the next best thing; it was nice of Ed to take the couch and let her have the bed.

Scully had the option of leaving Ed's place if she really wanted to - she still had her hotel room. I find it hard to buy that she and Ed would have had sex in the bed, but then would have opted to sleep in separate rooms. However I could see Ed waking up restless in the middle of the night (possibly due to anxiety about "Bettie") and moving to the outside room so as to not disturb Scully's sleep.

IF they'd had sex, that is. If not, then they were most likely sleeping separately from the get-go. I don't really have a preference either way, but I feel like the hallway shot of the apartment door closing suggests that they did indeed wind up having sex, even if Chris Carter tried to make it look otherwise.

One has to only watch Paper Hearts very carefully and pay close attention to Scully's reactions. Bless GA for being such a brilliant actress. In many instances Scully looks like she has had it, literally. It's not the first or last time Mulder goes off the reservation because of his sister or his quest. He lets himself be willingly manipulated and nothing Scully says or does can stop him. But she gets swept along because she is his partner and friend and sometimes the consequences affect her directly.

Skinner wasn't exactly helping matters when he made her Mulder's keeper (not the first or last time either). And then basically blaming her that Mulder sprang Roche from prison because she was supposed to watch him. I mean what was the woman supposed to do. Tuck Mulder in and then handcuff him to something and put all phones out of reach? Again you can see on her face in that scene how fed up she is.

And at the end of the episode the look she has on her face when she leaves Mulder's side says resignation to me. But I guess everyone interprets things differently so this is just how I see it.

I've never remotely interpreted Scully's actions or reactions in "Paper Hearts" that way, ever. To me Scully seems to have the utmost sympathy for Mulder, and to be more concerned for him than thinking about herself and her alleged "awful life over the last four years".

Edited by azzurro, Jan 30, 2013 @ 7:13 PM.

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

"I feel like the hallway shot of the apartment door closing suggests that they did indeed wind up having sex, even if Chris Carter tried to make it look otherwise."

I feel like the fact that they added in the scene of Ed waking up on the couch suggests that they didn't have sex. Also the fact that in the note that Ed left they removed the "you looked so beautiful" from the bottom. Why else would they remove it? That said, they did still have him write "XOXO" in the note, but that could easily be explained as being accidentally left in, just like how the "they had sex" crowd easily explains away Scully's pantyhose as being accidentally left in.

Some more things to consider:

- there was no awkwardness between them at all in the morning. If I'd had sex with a guy I just met I'd at least feel a TINY bit awkward facing him the next morning.

- we never even saw a kiss. If CC had at least left a kiss in before we saw the door shut there would be a BIT more evidence for them having had sex. But no, they ended with "kiss her and she's dead", which leads the audience to believe that Ed heeded Betty's warning.

- Betty's reaction in the morning. I doubt she would have said "Another woman in my bed???" if Scully and Ed had had sex the night before, because surely she would have been aware of the sex while it was occurring and not the next morning, ESPECIALLY considering her "kiss her and she's dead" threat the night before.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 12:49 AM

I find it hard to buy that she and Ed would have had sex in the bed, but then would have opted to sleep in separate rooms.

I find that plausible, but, beyond that, I have no reason to think the sex had to have taken place in the bed; at commercial break, we left them up against the living room wall, so it could have happened there. Under those circumstances, it's all the more believable they'd retreat to separate quarters afterward if she still couldn't drive back to the hotel (due to the storm and her drinking).

Chris Carter's reasoning - at least as reported by Morgan and Wong - for not wanting it clear they had all the sex is just so stupid I can't take it seriously, but I can't say I'm surprised as his issues with human (especially female) sexuality often leave me quite relieved our only relationship is through the television. It has been so long, I can't remember -- was there any commentary directly from him about why he made the changes and if he intended them to suggest ambiguity or outright denial? I can remember M&W and Gillian weighing in, but I'm coming up blank on a memory of CC's take other than as relayed by others.

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 1:42 PM

The scene didn't end up against the wall, it ended standing in the middle of the living room. In the original script they, presumably, had sex on the living room floor, but I don't consider the original script canon since they chose not to film it.

So regardless of where you think the sex occurred, do you think they at least stopped to get a condom?

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

Some more things to consider:

- there was no awkwardness between them at all in the morning. If I'd had sex with a guy I just met I'd at least feel a TINY bit awkward facing him the next morning.

Well, not everyone is you. :) If I liked the person I'd slept with, and felt comfortable with them the night before, I wouldn't feel awkward in the morning.

- Betty's reaction in the morning. I doubt she would have said "Another woman in my bed???" if Scully and Ed had had sex the night before, because surely she would have been aware of the sex while it was occurring and not the next morning, ESPECIALLY considering her "kiss her and she's dead" threat the night before.

But - if we're going to pretend for the moment that all of Bettie's vocalizations have to be rational and make perfect sense, which IMO they don't - she would also have known it the night before if Scully was going to sleep in her bed, even if sex wasn't on the menu. So by your logic Bettie should have said something the night before either way. The reason she didn't say it until the next morning is because she didn't say it at all. Bettie's remarks are all in Ed's head, and he hears her when he gets angry or frustrated or confused or feels threatened, because he's... just a little bit nuts.

I just think arguing about whether not they had sex is silly, because from what we see it's totally ambiguous and there's no way to know. To me, the shot of the apartment door closing as they're about to kiss suggests that they do have sex (regardless of Bettie's warning), but the fact that they wake up in separate beds suggests that they don't. But - either one of those could be rationalized or explained to fit the opposite theory just as well. So in the end I feel like it's just a big "who cares?", because, as I said earlier, it makes no difference whatsoever to anything anyway.

Edited by azzurro, Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:57 PM.

jr23tw

jr23tw

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

I just think arguing about whether not they had sex is silly, because from what we see it's totally ambiguous and there's no way to know. So in the end I feel like it's just a big "who cares?", because, as I said earlier, it makes no difference whatsoever to anything anyway.

Thank you. That's why I haven't replied again. For me it's just silly to dissect this to death. I've never understood what the big issue is for some people that they have to obsess over this episode and topic so much. I don't see anyone doing it with Mulder and Vampire chick or more importantly Mulder and Diana. Besides no one is going to change their minds on the matter so all we do is arguing in circles...

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

So I'm having a debate with this guy on IMDB and he thinks that Scully's willingness (and eagerness) to get a tattoo at a sketchy tattoo parlor indicates that she also had unprotected sex with Ed Jerse because getting a tattoo at an iffy tattoo parlor is riskier than unprotected sex. What do you guys think? I for one think that unprotected sex with a stranger is riskier because in addition to STDs it carries the very real and very immediate risk of pregnancy. Not every needle is infected with HIV, just like not every man is, but just about every man you encounter has the ability to impregnate you (if you're a female, that is).

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

The guy even had the gall to say this:

"She's not without financial resources, it seems her job pays decently, and if she was in a particularly risky mood (especially, if she was questioning her future investigating X-Files, and possibly even trying to push herself toward some new kind of life) I think she might embrace the risk of unintended pregnancy."

I nearly choked when I read that. This guy claims to be an "expert" on Never Again, but judging from this statement it seems as though NA is the ONLY episode he's ever watched because he was so off-base what that comment. After that he mysteriously decided to delete all of the comments he had made in the thread.

Am I correct in thinking that there is absolutely no basis for what he said, especially given Scully's sensibility and the fact that she did not want children at that point in her life (as well as her comment in Genderbender)?

Crass

Crass

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 5:00 AM

Sounds like he was a bit of a mansplainer - lucky escape if he's now gone.

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

As for the IMDB guy who thought that Scully would "embrace the risk of unintended pregnancy", what do you guys think about that statement? Here's his direct quote: "She's not without financial resources, it seems her job pays decently, and if she was in a particularly risky mood (especially, if she was questioning her future investigating X-Files, and possibly even trying to push herself toward some new kind of life) I think she might embrace the risk of unintended pregnancy."

I mean yes, we saw Scully talking to her friend (her godson's mom) in Jersey Devil about motherhood and despite the fact that she went out with Rob in an attempt to have a life, she admitted that children were hard to handle and told her friend that she didn't think she was cut out for it. After Scully's date with Rob ended and she (presumably) did not resume trying to "have a life" clearly having kids was not her #1 priority. Since it was before her abduction and she was only in her late 20s she probably assumed that she had plenty of time to settle down and have a family.

The only other time we heard her talk about motherhood prior to Emily was in Home and, at least in my opinion, her statements didn't exactly scream "I wanna have babies!", nor were they particularly "maternal" at all. All she did was express sadness (as ANY human being, male or female, with a heart would do) at the death of an innocent baby (as gross as it was). She did follow that up with "Sorry, I guess I was just projecting on myself", but that only says that she would like to have kids someday, not the next second! And at that time she had no idea that her ova were stolen so once again she probably thought that she had plenty of time to settle down and have a family.

Finally, in Never Again, despite her risking HIV and hepatitis when she got the tattoo, I think that Scully would have protected herself during sex with Jerse (if they actually had sex at all!) For one, there is no sense in exposing yourself to even more potential disease or pregnancy if you can avoid it. Scully really wanted that tattoo so she had no choice but to face the risk that the needle possibly wasn't sterilized. You can't cover a tattoo needle with a condom and still expect the end result (the ink getting in you), whereas you most certainly can put a condom over a penis and expect the end result (two satisfied people).

Now onto her supposed "embracing" of the risk of unintended pregnancy. Despite Scully having distanced herself from her religion as well as going against her parents' wishes (joining the FBI) I still think that, at that time (before she knew she was sterile) it was probably important to her that she get married or at least be in a committed relationship before having a baby. Not so much for herself but for her mother (and her father - remember when he died she was concerned that he wasn't proud of her, and after he had been dead for a year or two she came to her mom crying, saying "what would dad think of me?")

Then there's the issue of Mulder. The IMDB user believes that M & S were in love with one another at the time of Never Again but were keeping it to themselves. That's definitely not a bizarre claim at all, although I, despite being a hardcore shipper, don't think that they truly were IN love with one another until season 6-ish (I think that they've loved one another platonically at least since Scully's abduction, or at the very least had great affection for one another). Anyway, it's just very hard to believe that Scully, madly in love with Mulder, would intentionally try to get pregnant with another man's baby (and a stranger at that!)

He also claims that Scully might have embraced pregnancy because it could have pushed her into a new life (one without the X Files and Mulder treating her like a sidekick). However, I don't think that Scully wanted that sort of change. Do I think she liked working on the X Files? Yes. Do I think she was tired of how Mulder was treating her? Yes. Do I think that she wanted there to be some changes made regarding how Mulder treated her and how the office dynamics were? Yes. Do I think Scully wanted her life to be permanently altered and her to be alienated from her job? Heck NO!

Finally, as a woman, Scully likely worked VERY HARD to get to where she was in the bureau. Coming home pregnant from a case with a stranger's baby would set her up for a lifetime of ridicule.

Edited by Claire999, Mar 5, 2013 @ 6:26 PM.

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 8:39 PM

1. Do you think Scully and Jerse had sex?
2. Do you think that Scully had the sense to use a condom even though she was buzzed?
3. Do you consider Never Again to take place before or after Leonard Betts, chronologically?
4. If you consider NA to be set after LB, do you think that the cancer scare played a role in Scully [possibly] doing the nasty with Ed?
5. If you answered 'yes' to question 4 do you think that she would have thrown caution to the wind and not cared about using a condom because she thought she was dying?
6. Do you think that Scully's willingness and eagerness to get a tattoo at a dirty place indicates that she'd be okay with unprotected sex with a stranger?
7. Do you think she was behaving "recklessly" in the episode?

TheLuggage

TheLuggage

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

1. Sure
2. Yeah
3. Before
6. No
7. A bit. But much less so than Mulder was in '3'