NFL on CBS, Fox, ESPN

• Please log in to reply

16020 replies to this topic

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

My heart just hurts for Junior's family, his friends, ex-teammates, coaches, and Charger Nation. San Diego must just be devastated. As a Chiefs fan, I remember when we lost Derrick Thomas -- it was as if the town wept as one.

The Marcellus interview was tough to watch, but I respect the fact that he went on the air and spoke, knowing how tough it would be to get through it all.

Edited by voiceover, May 4, 2012 @ 1:40 AM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

I wish these "analysts" would stop speculating about concussions being the reason for Seau's suicide. Last I checked most of these guys barely went to college never mind the years and years of medical school that would allow them to speak about the issue intelligently. For all we know Junior was bi-polar or had some other terrible mental illness irrespective of the concussions. Trying to connect the concussion problem with this suicide is irresponsible without some solid science behind it and mere speculation doesn't cut it with me.

Edited by MV007, May 4, 2012 @ 3:59 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

I think it is. I think this is like years ago where there just wasn't yet the credible scientific analysis put together to link smoking and cancer. I think it's only a matter of time that this is proven that multiple concussions and related brain injuries lead to depression and possible suicides. It would be great if some scientists were somehow able to put a long-term study together to track the incoming draft class and current players. I know it will take a long time, but if there isn't really a link, then that needs to be proven as rigorously [scientifically] as if there is a link. Either way something like this needs to really start now.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't already a study underway. If there isn't, there will be. Keep an eye on this class action lawsuit and don't be surprised if there is one for the college level.

The players union is facing a major problem with this class action lawsuit, though

They have decided to pretty vigorously defend the current players and appeal their suspensions. Goodell, right or wrong, is handing down the suspensions to show he is serious about player safety and whether its gone on in the past or not, the NFL cutlure has to change to prevent guys from being injured long term and to stop players from a lifetime of disability after their playing days.

The problem for the union is its hard to justify them defending the current players accused in this program and at the same time claim to be for the former players suing the league for not doing more to keep them from getting injured. The two positions are almost completely contradictory. You can't on the one hand keep the NFL from handing down suspensions for acts like this, then at the same time turn around years later and claim the league was negligent for not keeping players from getting injured. Its like the players are willingly doing these things to each other during their active years and then years later blaming the NFL for not doing more to stop themselves from harming each other.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

That's a great point. I thought I heard on the radio that they were challenging Godell's authority to hand down these suspensions. The NFL might do well with getting an independent board instead of Godell being judge, jury, and executioner. I think these guys should be suspended definitely, but I don't understand the reasoning behind each suspension.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

The problem for the union is its hard to justify them defending the current players accused in this program and at the same time claim to be for the former players suing the league for not doing more to keep them from getting injured. The two positions are almost completely contradictory. You can't on the one hand keep the NFL from handing down suspensions for acts like this, then at the same time turn around years later and claim the league was negligent for not keeping players from getting injured.

I'm glad to at least see someone else point this out, as it's a recurring topic of conversation between a friend and I and it bothers me not to see any of the sports commentators I watch note the inherent hypocrisy; the players are constantly on - justifiably - about the league's history of indifference to player safety, yet when it's revealed that at least some of them gleefully conspired to potentially end guys' careers by doing major damage all they offered up was a bunch of whining, which has now reached its apogee in response to the suspensions. The lack of commentary in the sports media on the contradictory stances is rather glaring in its absence.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I'm glad to at least see someone else point this out, as it's a recurring topic of conversation between a friend and I and it bothers me not to see any of the sports commentators I watch note the inherent hypocrisy; the players are constantly on - justifiably - about the league's history of indifference to player safety, yet when it's revealed that at least some of them gleefully conspired to potentially end guys' careers by doing major damage all they offered up was a bunch of whining, which has now reached its apogee in response to the suspensions. The lack of commentary in the sports media on the contradictory stances is rather glaring in its absence

I did hear it mentioned once last week, but not on TV. Evan and Phillips on Mad DOg satellite radio are the only ones I have heard bring it up.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

I wish these "analysts" would stop speculating about concussions being the reason for Seau's suicide. Last I checked most of these guys barely went to college never mind the years and years of medical school that would allow them to speak about the issue intelligently. For all we know Junior was bi-polar or had some other terrible mental illness irrespective of the concussions. Trying to connect the concussion problem with this suicide is irresponsible without some solid science behind it and mere speculation doesn't cut it with me.

However there are many former players who have battled depression and some have also committed suicide as a result of concussions so for the analysts to ignore that and act as if a player who played for twenty years is likely to have bi-polar or some other mental illness and not to have suffered multiple concussions would be ridiculous IMO. It's also important to remember many them aren't reporters and are specifically paid to give their opinion.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, May 6, 2012 @ 3:17 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

The lack of commentary in the sports media on the contradictory stances is rather glaring in its absence.

I've seen it brought up quite a lot in print and even a few times on radio but not much on TV.

The problem for the union is its hard to justify them defending the current players accused in this program and at the same time claim to be for the former players suing the league for not doing more to keep them from getting injured. The two positions are almost completely contradictory.

It depends on what the union's argument is in the bounty case. From what I've gathered from the coverage, the union is citing a 'lack of evidence' as the reason it's fighting for the rights if the suspended players. Basically, they're not arguing that a bounty program is okay but rather that players shouldn't be punished if there is any doubt of the individual player's guilt. I don't believe the full extent of the evidence has been released so we don't know what the NFL has, even though they claim they do have plenty of evidence.

But the fact that their only recourse is to appeal to the same person who handed out the punishments is something they could have fixed during negotiations last summer and didn't. I can't feel sorry for them.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Herm's choo-choo is disturbing.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

ESPN will televise a one-hour SportsCenter Special every Tuesday night beginning next week, and continue through July 17, with each show previewing one of the eight NFL divisions. The first show on Tuesday, May 22, at 7 p.m. with host Trey Wingo and analysts Herm Edwards, Bill Polian and Marcellus Wiley examines the AFC North, which had three playoff teams a year ago. Remaining specials will feature a rotation of analysts. (Note: There will not be a special on Tuesday, June 26.) The schedule:

Tue, May 22 7 p.m. SportsCenter Special: AFC North Preview ESPN
Tue, May 29 7 p.m. SportsCenter Special: NFC West Preview ESPN2
Tue, June 5 7 p.m. SportsCenter Special: AFC South Preview ESPN2
Tue, June 12 7 p.m. SportsCenter Special: NFC South Preview ESPN2
Tue, June 19 7 p.m. SportsCenter Special: NFC North Preview ESPN2
Tue, July 3 7 p.m. SportsCenter Special: NFC East Preview ESPN
Tue, July 10 8 p.m. SportsCenter Special: AFC East Preview ESPN
Tue, July 17 7 p.m. SportsCenter Special: AFC West Preview ESPN

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Does everyone who gets ESPN automatically get ESPN2? If not what's the point of airing the shows like that. I would think it makes more sense to air them all on ESPN first and then re-air them on ESPN2.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

I think at least a few of the conflicts are NBA games.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Does everyone who gets ESPN automatically get ESPN2? If not what's the point of airing the shows like that. I would think it makes more sense to air them all on ESPN first and then re-air them on ESPN2.

As far as I know, ESPN is pretty adamant about putting both of those two in the basic packages. I can't remember seeing any cable or satellite package where ESPN let them put ESPN in the basic package and ESPN2 in a separate add-on tier, but I suppose it could be true somewhere. Generally speaking, ESPN and ESPN2 go together in the contracts these days, and the cable and satellite companies need to follow the same rules for both of them, or they won't get either.

It might be possible though, where a company might still have ESPN on an analog channel and ESPN2 on a digital channel, so that a person who just plugs the cable out of the wall to an additional not-digital ready TV, only ESPN would show up. The person would be paying for both, but hooked up the TV so that he or she only got the one.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

NFL eases local TV blackout restrictions for upcoming season

The NFL has relaxed local television blackout rules, a league spokesman confirmed to NFL.com and NFL Network on Saturday.

The Wall Street Journal first reported the change, which team owners approved in May at the NFL Annual Meeting.

Home teams now will have the option of selling 85 percent of game tickets to avoid a blackout in their local TV market. Previously, teams had to sell out games or receive an exception from the league for the game to be shown on local TV.

As a Steelers fan, whose games are never blacked out, I thought that this part of the article was almost unbelievable.

"It's optional if clubs want to do this and would only affect a few teams," McCarthy said in an email. "Last year only 6 percent of games were blacked out in a local market. This figure is down significantly from 15 to 20 years ago when 25 to 30 percent of games were routinely blacked out."

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Living in the South where football is treated like a religion I'm not surprised by that statistic at all. Especially knowing how people use sports as escapism. IMO it's no coincedence that horse racing was HUGE during the Great Depression.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

So they are also moving the start times for late games

405 if there is no tv game before it

425 if there is a game beforehand

This is to avoid conflicts with later show start times and to avoid end of game and start of game conflicts

I like the move, especially the later starts. Many times one game will start while the preceding game ends and fans get caught one way or the other

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

I just a great ad promoting the start of the NFL season on NBC. The ad features new parents Dad is a Giants fan while Mom likes the Cowboys. They are trying to get their son to root for their team so they urge Eli Manning and Demarcus Ware to win the game. I love any ad featuring women as passionate fans.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Is there a reason why ESPN is at Jets camp all week & constantly sucking up to Tebow there? They're acting like Tebow is improving as a QB & that he could lead the Jets to the promise land this season. The Tebow story was nice last season, but now I'm starting to get sick of it. Its making me wish that Tebow was the starting QB for the Jets so that I can see him fall flat on his face. I can't wait for Skip Bayless to make excuses for them when that happens.

Frankly, all I've been hearing all week about the NFL on ESPN is Tebow, Jets, & Cowboys. You would think that Tebow, Rex Ryan, & the Jets would show some class & some humility after their crappy 2011 season & the Giants winning the Super Bowl. I know that its not in their nature to do stuff like this, but I wish that the Giants would rub their Super Bowl victory in their faces. Its something that Tebow & Rex Ryan will never experience in their NFL careers.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

Amen Magog!Tebow has to be the most overated rated athlete ever. Denver wouldn't have won so many games if Matt Prater hadn't made those field goals. ESPN likes Rex Ryan and Jerry Jones because they won't shut up and they provide plenty of material for them to discuss.Tom Coughlin and Bill Belechick would rather concenstrate on winning Super Bowls.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

...Rex Ryan, & the Jets would show some class & some humility...

Rex Ryan, class and humility - three words you'll never see together in a sentence.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

ESPN likes Rex Ryan and Jerry Jones because they won't shut up and they provide plenty of material for them to discuss.

ESPN also seems to like doing stupid stuff so they can comment on it themselves. They had nonstop Jets coverage early in the week, which provided the talking point of "Why is everyone talking about the Jets so much?" later in the week.

On a bit of a side note, I'm liking the addition of Jason Taylor to ESPN's NFL coverage. He still seems stiff in front of the camera, but I think he'll be great once he loosens up a bit.

Edited by drmka9, Aug 4, 2012 @ 6:24 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

I just a great ad promoting the start of the NFL season on NBC. The ad features new parents Dad is a Giants fan while Mom likes the Cowboys. They are trying to get their son to root for their team so they urge Eli Manning and Demarcus Ware to win the game. I love any ad featuring women as passionate fans

I saw it for the first time last night and it was great. They're requests were fine at first then they started to get more outlandish. Five sack in one game? Six TD passes in one game? And all that for a kid who's like one and will never remember the game or what happened anyway. I also love the directv ads featuring deion sanders and eli.

While i think Tebow will surprise people who think last year was a fluke and/or he isn't a qb I'll agree the ESPN hype is a bit overboard. They seem to pick just a few stories to obssess over and ignore the rest of the league.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

This is really sad. Andy Reid's son was found dead at Eagles training camp. I read about it on MSN.com.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

That is sad about his son. I believe he has some drug use problems in his past

I like that mom/dad fighting commercial too and also agree the Tebow hype is just unbearable and stupid.

kems28

kems28

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

ESPN is reporting that the NFL is offering to reduce Jonathan Vilma's suspension from a year to 8 games if he'll drop his lawsuit against Roger Goodell. They're also reporting Vilma's refusing to take the deal. A lot of people, including myself, think this is pretty much admission from Goodell that he doesn't have enough evidence to hold up in court. This is gonna turn into a huge shitstorm if it turns out the league was trumping up the charges. The next week is going to be really interesting.

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

ESPN also seems to like doing stupid stuff so they can comment on it themselves. They had nonstop Jets coverage early in the week, which provided the talking point of "Why is everyone talking about the Jets so much?" later in the week.

And the Jets are getting exactly what they anticipated by acquiring Tebow - attention, attention, attention! Being near the Greater NY area, I frequently listen to the local sports station which is the flagship station for Jets/Giants. When the Tebow trade happened in March, one of the program hosts - Mike Francesa, went on an absolute tirade about it. Here it is for your listening pleasure. I must've listened to this 5 times and each time it's just better and better. So effin' spot on. The Jets are nothing but a three ring circus with Munchauzer's (sp)Syndrome who hate to be ignored.

As for ESPN setting up camp - did they do any less when Tebow went to Denver? I think whatever team Tebow went to was going to be a mecca for all the talking toolsheds making a living as sports enthusiasts.

As for all the talk about the Cowboys - ho, hum. Just the annual 'Cowboys are looking good and may go all the way' smoochfest that accompanies the beginning of every season

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I don't believe for a minute the league is trumping up the charges against the Saints. It's a compromise by Goodell. I can't believe neither coach suspended would have said nothing in protest or spoken up more if the charges had no merit. I am sick of ESPN feeding the constant daily media stream of te Saints and acting as the spokespeople essentially of their media defense initiative, which is all this has been for a month or more. The more they keep repeating the same lies, in my opinion, the more the make people believe its true.

I can't believe a coach would be suspended in definetly based on little evidence by a commissioner and that coach nt put up more of a fight

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Jon Gruden works my last nerve. ESPN cut the wrong analyst.

That is all.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

A lot of people, including myself, think this is pretty much admission from Goodell that he doesn't have enough evidence to hold up in court.

If it's even true, it's more like they don't want to have to name their sources in court.

Whatever players spoke up about Vilma and the Saints would have done so with the understanding that the NFL was going to protect them, if they go to court they'll have to reveal who said what, and then those guys will become known as "snitches" and future players will be less likely to come forward.