NFL on CBS, Fox, ESPN

• Please log in to reply

16020 replies to this topic

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:12 PM

I agree. When Fox added Jillian Slutface to the NFL Pregame show, I wanted to throw something at the tv. It's a little bit of an insult to the women out there watching. While I normally don't mind the Fox Gang (including Bill Walton Junior, or, Terry Bradshaw), the addition of her and her useless info just bothers me.

Word. She brings nothing to the show, she is just there for the horny males out there that find her attractive, I as a female do not see it though. She is fugly! All she has is some implants.

It is an insult to the female audience out there that is watching, and it reminds me of the insulting comment Andy Rooney had to make about "those damn women on the sidelines.." or something to that effect; he was basically saying people like Melissa Stark, Jill Arrington, and Lisa Guerro know nothing about the sport. Is that so Andy? Really? I guess not, since the sport is usually understood at least by neanderthal at home. @@

Edited by LouisVuittonRULZ, Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:12 PM.

Rainmaker

Rainmaker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

Fox's insistence on "flashing" the score bar as the ball is snapped for every play is extremely distracting. The bar is there, the ball is hiked, and all I focus on is the red "Playoffs" logo at the top of the stupid screen. I keep thinking that there is a penalty or something and that's why I see something flash at the top of the screen. Do the Fox numbskulls think we're stupid enough to not know it's the playoffs?

Keely1116

Keely1116

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:09 AM

CBS's field-level camera view is killing me. They kept doing it during the Pats/Titans game tonight and half the time I had no idea what was going on.

Other than that, I love the Patriots.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:10 AM

Deion Sanders is an idiot! He was the only one to pick the Titans. How come people complain about Lisa Guerro being useless on the sidelines but noone says anything about Tony Siragusa? He doesn't add anything to the game either.

gyc

gyc

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:30 AM

Fox's insistence on "flashing" the score bar as the ball is snapped for every play is extremely distracting. The bar is there, the ball is hiked, and all I focus on is the red "Playoffs" logo at the top of the stupid screen. I keep thinking that there is a penalty or something and that's why I see something flash at the top of the screen. Do the Fox numbskulls think we're stupid enough to not know it's the playoffs?

This is so annoying! I too thought there was a penalty every time that thing started flashing. Oh well, Fox has always chosen style over substance, like going with tiny pictures of the teams' logos instead of their city abbreviations this season.

indybear

indybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:10 AM

Just a side note - it's Lisa Guerrero. There's another 'er' in her name.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:32 PM

Lisa Guerrero....hmmm. Talk about someone much improved. At the beginning of the season I would have guessed she didn't know a damn thing about football. She was flustered and nervous and generally came off in a poor light. And her outfits! You're a professional reporter (albeit for sports, but still)...a beret?

I guess I don't get the "sideline" reporter thing. Maybe for injury updates. I guess the thought is to give interesting commentary and interviews but most of the time I'm just yelling at them to shut up. Especially during the coaches interviews. They recap the game in a sentence, ask a predictable question and get a predictable answer.

Tony Siragusa. Shut. Your. Trap.

CaptainSnarky

CaptainSnarky

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:59 PM

Deion Sanders. Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

And, in keeping with the jingoism of our times, CBS is probably going to find one hundred ways to equate football to the "war" on terror. Yippee. I can, however, thank them for making me watch "Nature." I've learned a great deal about leopards thanks to you imbeciles.

And don't get me started on Fox and how much I'd like to strangle their entire freakin' crew.

GM Hot Buttons of the Game??? Why don't they have corporate sponsorships of injuries? "This back-breaking, career-ending hit brought to you by Kia!"

Edited by CaptainSnarky, Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:00 PM.

W I Sk8r

W I Sk8r

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:55 PM

When my dad and I were watching the Titans and Patriots game yesterday, we both noticed that comments by the announcers were made just for the sake of talking, and not to say anything relatively important.

phxchic

phxchic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 3:01 PM

HOw about when Shannon Sharpe's cell phone started ringing on air during the halftime report. Like Jim said, dude, it's TV--cell phones OFF!

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:24 PM

How come people complain about Lisa Guerro being useless on the sidelines but noone says anything about Tony Siragusa? He doesn't add anything to the game either.

I agree on this, he brings nothing to the game, whereas Lisa does somewhat. What his is purpose? Is he just there to be the fat, former football player that everyone can joke on/with?

erik97

erik97

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:44 PM

Rush Limbaugh can almost rest comfortably, because he now has company in the single dumbest thing said during football analysis this season.

During today's Packers-Eagles game, Joe Buck argues that Brett Favre is underrated, and has been throughout his career. This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard on Fox. That includes Paula Abdul's judging on American Idol. In the past ten years, there has been no professional athlete who has garnered more good ink- about his on-field exploits and off-field- than Brett Favre. To claim he has been in any way "underrated" is plain ol', flat out, stupid. Shut up, Joe Buck.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

And to top it off, he followed that with the "bombshell" that Favre was considering retirement if he won the SuperBowl. What hall of fame athlete hasn't thought about going out on a championship note?

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:39 AM

Joe Buck is just like Bob Costas, they like to hear themselves talk. As a matter of fact I hate that whole announce team of Troy, Chris, and Joe. I hate every single one of them. And if there was ever an overrated QB it was Troy Akiman.

Well one thing that I can say is at least Tim Mc Caver does not do football with Joe Buck. If that were the case my ears would bleed with those two jackoffs calling baseball and football on FOX.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:08 AM

What's wrong with Bob Costas? I consider him the best play-by-play guy, and the most intelligent man, in the business, even if I can't recall him doing anything besides his HBO show in the last couple years. Many people are saying Buck is the next Costas; I don't agree, and I resist him because FOX has made him the face of its sports division, but I don't think he totally sucks, either. (Let me also add that as a sports announcer wannabe you hear stories, and I hear that Mr. Buck is actually a very good man, but that's another tale to tell another day.) My main objection to him is that too often he comes off as the nerd trying to show off because he desperately wants to be accepted by the jocks at his high school (in this case the two retired football/color guys flanking him in the booth). Too eager to please with breaking down a play when he should be seeking command of the action, and cracking too many jokes that fall flat and create a perception of insecurity.

I won't trash him for his analysis on Favre, although he's been telling the media he's been thinking about retiring for the past 20 years. Now, if I had to name the first active QB off the top of my head it'd be Favre, so I won't call him underrated by any means. Maybe I don't think that comment was stupid because Rush's were a lot more dumb.

I don't mind Troy Aikman; he's pretty good for a recent retiree. And I don't have a problem with McCarver, either. Hell, I might as well start a flame war and say that Dan Dierdorf and Joe Theismann are pretty good color commentators. If you disagree, who would you rather have? And since everybody seems to hate analysts, what do you look for in one?

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:27 AM

This is so annoying! I too thought there was a penalty every time that thing started flashing. Oh well, Fox has always chosen style over substance, like going with tiny pictures of the teams' logos instead of their city abbreviations this season.

I more or less started this thread so I could complain about Fox's flashing, way back at the beginning of the season. Truth is, I kind of have gotten used to it after seeing it all year.

I kind of feel the same way about CBS's spinning helmets, although those fortunately aren't on the screen as much as the Fox flashing. Remember, TV graphics designers, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I notice Fox did have the city abbreviations instead of the logos on this week's games. Seems a little strange that they would change now...maybe they think there are a lot of "casual" fans who are only watching because it's the playoffs, and they wouldn't necessarily know the teams by logo?

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:39 AM

And if there was ever an overrated QB it was Troy Akiman.

OK, now you're just being silly. Troy is probably one of the five most accurate passers in the history of the game and he was nothing short of brilliant in the postseason. And he's a surprisingly good color guy. I never thought he'd even be interested in broadcasting after his playing days were over, but I'm glad he did, 'cuz he's excellent.

They need to move Chris Collinsworth back to the studio, though. Three-man booths just don't work.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:47 AM

And if there was ever an overrated QB it was Troy Akiman.

As a UCLA alum, I vehemently disagree, but then, I'm biased...

As for a color guy, I've been pleasantly surprised by Troy. I think he's very insightful, but he does have a tendency to favor the QBs in his chatter. I thought it was sort of funny when Cris complained about how hot it was in the booth, and Troy reminded him in no uncertain terms that the rest of the folks in the stadium were not sympathetic.

I don't know why they insist on cramming Cris and Troy together. I think both are strong enough individually to go solo as the color guy.

Word to all the comments about the stupid flashy thing Fox does with the score.

As a woman, I'd admit some of the female sideline reporters are better eye candy than others, while some are more knowledgeable about football than others. However, if you ask me, the whole sideline reporter thing is stupid.

pokey camp

pokey camp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:01 AM

There's no need to call BK1978 silly GooberPyle. Quite a few non-silly football loving people agree that yes, Troy Aikman is an overrated QB and can make numerous non-silly arguments to defend their case.

On topic though, I don't mind T.Roy in the booth. Though he did pick all 4 home teams to win this weekend. Sheesh. I guess not everybody can have a perfect post season bracket record. Ahem.

Why does NFL on Fox need to show me an icon of Tony Siragusa's ugly Sopranos-like mug at the bottom of my screen every time he speaks?

Yeah, that is pretty bad. I've gotten over the stupid ass robot, the random blinking, Bradshaw's hillbilly shtick, 50 million commercials for Fox's bad reality tv shows, but Siragusa is really too much for me take.

Edited by pokey camp, Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:05 AM.

jjfc

jjfc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:03 AM

I don't mind Troy Aikman; he's pretty good for a recent retiree. And I don't have a problem with McCarver, either. Hell, I might as well start a flame war and say that Dan Dierdorf and Joe Theismann are pretty good color commentators. If you disagree, who would you rather have? And since everybody seems to hate analysts, what do you look for in one?

I think the trouble is with national broadcasts analysts have a tough role to play. For local a crews a good color guy like John Davidson for the NY Rangers or the best IMO Jerry Remy for the Red Sox is a link between current players, the team as an istitution, and the fans.

A good national analyst should be knowledgable, unbiased, and excited about the sport. The worst is when analysts are clearly rooting for a player to suceed. Phil Simms does an excellent job, and John Madden was good once. Dan Fouts was good as long as Dennis Miller wasn't in the booth. Theismann wants to send everyone to Canton.

Nezera

Nezera

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:48 AM

During today's Packers-Eagles game, Joe Buck argues that Brett Favre is underrated, and has been throughout his career. This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard on Fox.

Word. They would not shut. The fuck. Up. About Brett Favre!! Donovan McNabb was absolutely phenomenal during that game, and they either flatly ignored or criticized him until the very end of the game. They were so biased against the Eagles it wasn't even funny.

I'm not sure who said this, but at one point one of the commentators was all 'O-ho-ho, those vicious Philadelphia fans don't look too happy!' Cue to me screaming 'Why don't we send some of those vicious Philadelphia fans after your BABIES!!'

God. I hate that station.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

If you disagree, who would you rather have? And since everybody seems to hate analysts, what do you look for in one?

I would like the analysts to analyze. I like to hear them talk about the game, break down a play, etc. There are waaaay too many "analysts" who were great players but who are not articulate. I do not enjoy hearing a retired player regale viewers with tales of his greatness. Please. Spare. Me. Every other sentence out of Irvin's mouth is how HE was sooo much better than today's receivers. I don't like the whole "I did it better" attitude of most of the analysts.

CaptainSnarky

CaptainSnarky

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:35 PM

Word. They would not shut. The fuck. Up. About Brett Favre!! Donovan McNabb was absolutely phenomenal during that game, and they either flatly ignored or criticized him until the very end of the game. They were so biased against the Eagles it wasn't even funny.

Nezera, you are SO freakin' right! God. I put the tv on mute for most of the game. When they were getting to the Super Sappy Overemotional Interview with Faaavre, I turned off the TV. I'm quite sure the pimpterview involved pictures of Daddy Favre playing with Junior, complete with Tinkly Piano of Sorrow. Then, I turn the tv back on in the 3rd quarter, and the Idiots are still going on and on and on about how Favre's shit is golden.

I am SO glad Philly won. Suck on that, Fox Stupid Fuckhat Commentators!

zooropa

zooropa

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:01 PM

I posted this on the SportsCenter thread but it goes here, too:

So, so tired of ESPN anchors drooling over Favre at every opportunity. They praise him endlessly but, even worse in my opinion, they rarely criticize him even when he deserves it. That interception he threw in OT was a horrendous pass and cost his team the game but they quickly glossed over it on Sportscenter. Yeah, they did say something like 'What was he thinking?' but, after the highlights, they didn't mention it again, instead focusing on the 4th & 26 soft defense as the reason for the Packers' loss. If McNabb had thrown that pass they would have analyzed it to death. They also would have hammered McNabb or any other QB who refused post-game interviews, as Favre did yesterday. But it was the great Brett Favre, so they never mentioned it.

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:16 PM

Yay, I am going to have company in H E double hockey sticks! I am so sick of hearing about Favre's father. Yes, it is sad he died.Yes, he had a good game the day after his father died. But good Lord they went on and on and on about it being "heroic" and "miraculous" -- sorry, but heroic and miraculous are not words I will use for a football game -- EVER.
It is very sad his father died, but he is hardly the first person to have a parent die. Some people have no choice but to work the day after a death in the family. They don't go to work, their children don't eat.
FOX and ESPN, as much as you hate it, and would slit your mother's throat to make it not so -- the PANTHERS, yes, the PANTHERS won. Nah, nah, nah, nah.
It doesn't matter if Martz made a dumb choice, it doesn't matter if Bulger made a bad pass (or three) -- the lowly, lowly CAROLINA PANTHERS still won in Saint Louis at that dome where Saint Louis had not lost this season, until Saturday night.

Edited by VeronicaNC, Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:17 PM.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:01 AM

I notice Fox did have the city abbreviations instead of the logos on this week's games. Seems a little strange that they would change now...maybe they think there are a lot of "casual" fans who are only watching because it's the playoffs, and they wouldn't necessarily know the teams by logo?

A-ha! I knew something was different with the score bar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. The marketing genius who came up with the overhead score bar should be shot. It takes up too much of the screen and I just cannot get used to it being on top. I know Fox is trying to be "different" but sometimes you just can't mess with a good thing.

And while I'm bitching about the score bar, I hate that Fox only updates other games for 5 seconds when the score changes. I love the CBS corner box that shows the scores constantly. Thank God both the boyfriend's team and my team are AFC so we watched CBS a lot.

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:08 AM

Maybe they were trying to suck up to Rush Limbaugh and bring him back. We love you, Rush! We hate black quarterbacks and love prescription drug abuse!

Word to all of you on Faaaav-ruh. The guy did win a Super Bowl. How the fuck is he underrated? In fact, he's a bit overrated, since he only won one, and he allowed John Elway to finally break his Susan Lucci-esque streak.

Anyway, thank goodness that the Iggles won. Oh, I hate Tony Siragusa too. Dude is a perfect tie-in to FOX's new show, "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance," though.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:08 AM

Oh, I hate Tony Siragusa too. Dude is a perfect tie-in to FOX's new show, "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance," though.

How about "My Big Fat Obnoxious Sideline Reporter"? You know you suck when Lisa Guerrero brings more to the table than you do.

I think Bret Favre is a great quarterback but that interception he threw was probably the worst interception I've ever seen. It was like a punt.

The Eagles' 4th & 26 play is the one getting all the press but I thought McNabb's pass to Pinkston in the corner of the endzone was brilliant. I watched the game in a bar and wished I could have heard the commentary on that play. I also wish I heard the commentary on Favre's dumb ass interception. Did he get ripped like he should have or was everybody still in Favre ass kiss mode?

For those of you with strong stomachs, here's some more Rush on McNabb: http://www.philly.co...all/7697049.htm

Edited by cheesesteak, Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:34 AM.

Berm

Berm

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:26 AM

So relieved that I'm not the only one who hates the flashing bar. It's never seemed to bother my husband, who usually hates that kind of thing (he still complains about the glowing puck Fox used to use), so I thought I was alone out here.

Funniest email I got this week was only two sentences long: "Packers lost. Guess Brett didn't love his dad enough."

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:28 AM

Re: gametime commentary on Favre, somebody in the booth at the time said that if a rookie had made that throw they'd say it was a terrible mistake, so they should say so for Brett Favre.

Agree that it was a terrible throw. He just lollipopped it to nowhere. As soon as it left his hand it had "intercept me" written all over it.