NFL on CBS, Fox, ESPN

• Please log in to reply

16028 replies to this topic

Gambling Moron

Gambling Moron

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 4:18 PM

Memo to ESPN: Keep Salisbury on NFL Countdown from now on, and fire that hack Irvin. Christ, a couple of weeks ago he was calling the Giants coach "Joe" Fassel.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:58 PM

Since the Ravens lost, we won't have to hear Michael Irving blathering on about Ray-Ray's house. This is great news. I wonder who he'll try to kiss up to next?

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:59 PM

Well, it won't be the Cowboys since they are one and done.

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:59 AM

Oh, surprise. With all due respect to Cowboys fans, that has to be the single worst 10-6 team in the history of the game. That is not a particularly good Carolina team that just sauntered past them, either, which just reinforces it.

And as for the coverage, it can't say anything good that I started off watching the games in a part of a bar where I could hear the commentary, then swiftly moved downstairs where the audio was drowned out by the awful pop music playing for the dancefloor.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:08 PM

As a Cowboy fan, I don't take offense because we looked horrible in that playoff game. However, in our defense I really think that the 'Boys were overwhelmed by the enormity moment. Our defense broke down immediately, followed quickly thereafter by our offense. We played Carolina tough in our first meeting, but they got theirs back on us this time. We've been losing for so long, I just think that the team just couldn't cope with the grand stage. We'll be back next season.

Edited by SimoneS, Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:13 PM.

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:28 PM

I think the Tuna wrung all he could out of that team this year, but you just aren't gonna win a bunch of games against good teams with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick.

BillyShears

BillyShears

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:13 PM

Who wants to see Colts/Titans in the AFC Champ. game? Sure, Priest Holmes will run over that soft Indy run D, and McNair will freeze to death in New England, but still, it would be nice to see the co-MVPs against each other for a trip down here to H-Town. At least we'd get a definitive winner, as opposed to the college version of the game.

Oh, well, like the AFC matters anyway -- the Rams will win it all! After they run Carolina ragged and Favre pulls another miracle against Philly (sorry cheesesteak!), the Pack comes to the EJDome, and we all know domes are Favre's Kryptonite.

Topic? Let's put Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, and Keyshawn Johnson on their own pre-game show. Let's put it on Comedy Central, which is the only network suitable for those 3 clowns.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

Call me cheesy, but I really like how MNF has the players introduce themselves and say their school. You can tell who really is proud of their school, and BTW, Ohio State is really named The Ohio State University.

You can see their faces, etc. I hate how the other networks lump all the players together, particularly the lineman.

Edited by HeavenLy, Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:41 PM.

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:52 PM

For those of you who saw the Panthers-Cowboys game, you may have seen the piece about the little girl, Hope, whose Make a Wish wish was to help the other sick children get their wishes.
Little Hope lost her battle with cancer last night.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

Topic? Let's put Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, and Keyshawn Johnson on their own pre-game show. Let's put it on Comedy Central, which is the only network suitable for those 3 clowns.

Throw Terry Bradshaw in there.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:09 AM

As much as I love football, I can't wait for the season to be over so that I don't have to see Boomer until baseball season. I also need a break from Steve Young, Sean Salisbury and Tom Jackson. As a Cowboy fan, it pains me to say this, but I even need a break from Michael Irvin and his loud suits. The ESPN football guys I still like at this point are Mark Shlereth and Brian Cox.

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

Little Hope lost her battle with cancer last night

RIP, Hope. There was a dinner party at my house on Saturday so we weren't paying close attention to the game but this was one of the segments that I caught. What an amazing kid, if that was her wish.

MrCecil

MrCecil

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

Agreed! Deion Sanders is beyond annoying, because it always has to be about him.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone get the feeling Boomer honest to God hates him and not in a "just kidding" sort of way?

VolWing

VolWing

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 7:50 PM

Who wants to see Colts/Titans in the AFC Champ. game? Sure, Priest Holmes will run over that soft Indy run D, and McNair will freeze to death in New England

Not necessarily. The Titans ran roughshod over Cleveland (yeah, I know, it was Cleveland) in a snowstorm a couple of years ago. You would have thought the Titans were the ones who played in freezing weather on a regular basis instead of the Browns.

Sounds good to me, although I'd rather they be on a cable channel I don't have so it would be impossible to even find them by accident.

Edited by VolWing, Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:34 PM.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

Call me cheesy, but I really like how MNF has the players introduce themselves and say their school.

I used to like this, but then I started thinking about it. Does it really matter that Mr. Star Athlete went to East Podunk University 13 years ago? Especially since most players are not standouts in college.

The thing that really bothers me though is when they pop players bios up during the game. They used to have photographs to go along with the stats and now they use the footage from those introductions. So the player is sitting on my screen, moving around, blinking, etc. They look like those animatronic dolls. Creepy.

Let's put Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, and Keyshawn Johnson on their own pre-game show. Let's put it on Comedy Central, which is the only network suitable for those 3 clowns.

Heh. Deion is good for a few one liners, but that schtick gets old after awhile. I wish he would shut it already.

I'm venturing into this thread, but I'm not the only chick here, right?

indybear

indybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:17 PM

You're not alone, ExplainItAgain.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

No you aren't the the only female sports fan here. This brings up a pet peeve of mine. Why do people assume that all men are sports fans and all women aren't? I'm a huge fan of football and Nascar and I'd rather read Sports Illustrated than Cosmopolitan any day.

pokey camp

pokey camp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:24 PM

Heh. Nope. But don't tell that to FOX, CBS, ESPN or their advertisers. They'll have a coronary.

So the player is sitting on my screen, moving around, blinking, etc. They look like those animatronic dolls. Creepy.

Totally. But somehow I love the creepiness of it.

Edited by pokey camp, Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:28 PM.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:31 PM

Alright, the gals are representin'!

indybear

indybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:46 PM

I've been a sports fan since I was a kid - I went to my dad's hockey games as a baby. I played varsity sports in high school and college, and dated a pro tennis player. So I've been the athlete and the fangirl. I'm probably a bigger sports freak than mr. indybear. That's why all the complaints about female sports reporters honk me off - there's an automatic assumption that they don't know anything, that they're just there because of their looks, blah blah blah neanderthal-cakes.

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:49 PM

Deion is good for a few one liners, but that schtick gets old after awhile. I wish he would shut it already.

Deion has grown on me, mostly for his spats with Boomer. But the one I can not stand is Keyshawn Johnson - especially on his first show when he played up how much of a "victim" he was for being cut. He's like a reality TV show contestant that will do anything for the spotlight.

Oprime

Oprime

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:58 PM

Call me cheesy, but I really like how MNF has the players introduce themselves and say their school.

I like it too, I thought it was really funny when Darren Sharper pronounced his name in some sort of french accent. Darren Sharpare lol

btw, Brett Favre did when one pretty big game in a dome, ya know the 97 Super Bowl.

Berm

Berm

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:18 PM

I read more than I post, but I am another female sports fan (and former participant).

Yay :-)

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:58 PM

I think it's okay, but it annoys me when people say THE Ohio State University. I know that's OSU's actual name, but I still find it annoying.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:39 AM

Isn't this the NFL on CBS, Fox, ESPN board? All this off topic disscussion of ABC's broadcast of NFL games has to stop. But seriously, I hate OSU and their drunk obnoxious belligerent fans. . . but I love when people say THE Ohio State University.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:17 AM

I'm venturing into this thread, but I'm not the only chick here, right?

Nope. Count me in...

As for the players saying the school, I like it. You get to see the player's face. You hear their voice. You hear if they are proud of their school. Yes, the Ohio State players are a little obnoxious, but I think it's funny. You get a sense of their personality. It's publicity for the big and small schools. Call me nosy, but I'm curious about where they went to school. I think they should even include the punter and kicker.

ETA.. I think CBS and Fox should do it too. I hate their player intros. It's like a bunch of mugshots. I can't think of the last time the linemen weren't all lumped together.

Edited by HeavenLy, Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:19 AM.

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:48 PM

So do I. It's always cool, especially when they wen to your school (Rich Gannon graduated from my Alma Mater) or when they went to some obscure college. It also emphasises one of the things I like about the NFL: the players are by far the best-educated professional athletes in a popular sport.

I used to like this, but then I started thinking about it. Does it really matter that Mr. Star Athlete went to East Podunk University 13 years ago? Especially since most players are not standouts in college.

Virtually every player starting for an NFL team was THE star on his college team. Otherwise, they would not have been noticed or drafted. That's not to say that exceptions to the rule aren't out there.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 9:59 AM

Rich Gannon graduated from my Alma Mater

Rich Gannon and I went to the same high school. I was a couple of years before him.

morecowbell

morecowbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:05 AM

No you aren't the the only female sports fan here. This brings up a pet peeve of mine. Why do people assume that all men are sports fans and all women aren't? I'm a huge fan of football and Nascar and I'd rather read Sports Illustrated than Cosmopolitan any day.

I agree. When Fox added Jillian Slutface to the NFL Pregame show, I wanted to throw something at the tv. It's a little bit of an insult to the women out there watching. While I normally don't mind the Fox Gang (including Bill Walton Junior, or, Terry Bradshaw), the addition of her and her useless info just bothers me.

Also, whats with all the "let's go stand around and chat 5 feet from the desk" as well as "let's run around a small astroturf spot and pass the balla round"? Stupid. I'd rather see more interviews! If it's a slow week, why not go and do a story on a local fan, or the stadium?

JoBu

JoBu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:07 PM

Why does NFL on Fox need to show me an icon of Tony Siragusa's ugly Sopranos-like mug at the bottom of my screen every time he speaks?