Minneapolis / St. Paul

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

498 replies to this topic

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 4:01 PM

It's a good list, ebon, but no, the list I'm thinking of had all-ages clubs, coffee houses and more. Thanks for posting it, though! I'm still going to look for that other list, because since I stopped going to the Entry and 400 Bar so much, my lungs have been much happier.

erzulie

erzulie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2004 @ 10:02 AM

A couple of people had voiced slight approval for Jitters...how does it rank on the noise/smoke scale? Because if it's acceptable, maybe it would be good - simply because it's not a bar, but it does serve alcohol...and anyone who didn't feel that their "bar" needs were being met could retire to Nye's later?
This is just a suggestion.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2004 @ 11:24 AM

I've only been to Jitters once since they moved across the river. It was noisy, but we were able to find a quiet, initimate section, if I recall correctly. We were there around 8 p.m. on a Friday, but the smoke wasn't too bad. I think Saturday is 60s soul dance night - a plus in my book (YMMV). Also, Jitters serves hooch, so a Nye's move isn't necessary - but could be really, really, really fun if you decided to go for it. Sort of like a progressive TWOPcon. It's a great idea, erzulie. I'm not going to be at any of the proposed May TWOPcons, but I'd think that if other folks gave you the A-ok, you should run with it. Absolutely.

Edited by suctionprints, Apr 30, 2004 @ 11:25 AM.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 4:15 AM

Should we take it that the silence on this thread for the past week or so means we should lay off a Con for another five months?

belsum

belsum

Stalker

• Interests:Jigsaw puzzles, foreign languages (real and fake), reading, making costumes, popcorn, pirates, road trips

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 8:48 AM

Ooh, so there is a Twin Cities Con thread. A lurker friend mentioned that to me. I'm in, as long as it's a time I'm in town. I'm dismayed at the number of requests for quiet and non-smoking. I guess I've spent too many years at rock shows to even notice that there're other options!

I'd like to make a suggestion for The Yacht Club. It's across the street from Elsie's, it's got a pool table, it's a totally dead dive bar. But it's awesome and you can have a ton of people in there with ease.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 9:30 AM

I'd love to have a con before October. May is terrible for me, but that's not stopping anyone from going ahead. I'll even help with the legwork. If anyone's up for June or July, let me know. Early August? That's swell too. Heck we can have one every month if we have a place.

belsum, yacht club sounds good. Also, I have a soft spot in my heart for Grumpy's as well. And, a progressive TWoPcon sounds great, too. What about bowling at Elsie's, and heading over to the Yacht Club? How about the Stardust Lanes to the Chatterbox? Or the Nye's/Jitters idea? I went to Acadia the other night, and they have great coffee, beer and wine in a non-smoking enviroment, and everyone from businessmen to poets stops there. They rejiggered the theatre so it's back to homemade stadium seating again, but I have a friend of a friend who knows the owner, and we might be able to commandeer the actual coffeehouse side. What about a potluck picnic? Just let me (or someone else) know.

I'm up for anything, just as long as it's not in May.

Henrietta

Henrietta

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 5:45 PM

I'm up for a con pretty much anytime this summer. I live outstate and am not really familiar with the cities so I'm afraid I won't be of much help in choosing venues, but little to no smoke would be greatly appreciated.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 6:18 PM

I'll make the trek again, if it's at all possible, since y'all are such neat people, but I've been sitting quiet since it's your party--I'm just a gate-crasher.

LittleVoice

LittleVoice

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 7:42 PM

I'll definitely try to make it again. (How's that for vague?) I just suck at planning.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 9:46 PM

That's cool. Well, I'll just throw a dart in the summer calendar and come up with a a couple of days sometime next week. This early in the game, our options are a lot more open. Talk to you all next week, unless someone's going to try and set something up for May - and more power to ya if ya do!

timeonmyhands

timeonmyhands

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 12:05 PM

If something is set up for this summer I would like to get in on it. I'm pretty open as far as dates go and I'm not really picky about the place.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2004 @ 10:24 AM

Sorry about the delay. Things...came...up.

I'm going to be on the horn with a couple of places this afternoon. Look here later this afternoon or this evening for potential dates. Then vote on them on this board or by sending me an email.

thanks for your patience.

ETA: Well, duh. I called a couple of places, but since it's Sunday aft., they'll have to get back to me. The dates will be up tomorrow. Most likely.

Edited by suctionprints, May 23, 2004 @ 4:49 PM.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 3:42 PM

Alrighty.

Here's two options I set up. Vote on one of them by emailing me via TWoP or posting on this thread. Please contact me by Friday at 5:00 p.m. so I can cancel one of the two appointments. Then we can get to the real work. Like decorations!

OPTION A
June:
Good Old Kieran's Irish Pub
Beautiful Downtown Minneapolis
Website
June 19, 2004
6:30 - ??

Kieran's has been the site of the last couple of TWoPcons, and if we get the back room, it should be super duper cool. The lady I talked to said that the back room is usually $100. But she wasn't the normal person to set up the room. That person will talk to me tomorrow. I'm going to hold it anyway - the person answering the phone may have been wrong about the $100 fee. Besides if enough of us go, it might only be $2, $2.50 a head.

OPTION B
July:
Grumpy's Bar and Grill
Also Beautiful Downtown Minneapolis
Website
July 16, 2004
6:00 - ??

Grumpy's will waive their room fee if at least 35 people show up. The back room opens out to a patio and the bar itself. Not trying to sway anyone, but it's one of my favorite places to snack and drink in the Cities, and with the patio it shouldn't be too bad for those sensitive to smoke. It's close to the Metrodome, but the date I chose is not a Twins home game night. So there should be decent parking.

Thanks for all your patience! Sorry about the delay.

Edited by suctionprints, May 24, 2004 @ 3:46 PM.

Babalu

Babalu

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 5:39 PM

My vote is Grumpy's. The date works out better, and I trust your judgement. Plus, I can give you a ride and won't lock us out of the parking ramp! I'll try to make it to Kieran's, though, if that's the majority vote. Thanks, sp!

Henrietta

Henrietta

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 7:21 PM

Option A would work better for me in terms of scheduling but I could probably make either one.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 7:43 PM

Either one's good for the gate-crasher, but Grumpy's would be my preference

IanStark

IanStark

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2004 @ 8:51 AM

Im Option A from an availability standpoint.

alyssapurdy

alyssapurdy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2004 @ 11:24 AM

Either would work for me, I love Kieran's and sooner is better than later, cause I'm excited, but I'll be there either way.

Ebongreen

Ebongreen

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2004 @ 1:20 PM

I'd favor Grumpy's, personally, but I've never seen Kieran's back room. The outdoor option appeals...

melmn2002

melmn2002

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2004 @ 1:30 PM

I would prefer option A...I have another commitment for the second one

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 4:48 AM

Remember, polls close at 5 p.m. Friday, so get your input to me by then, if you haven't already. Thanks to the folks who have already done so.

I talked to the nice events planner at Kieran's. They will charge us $100 for the room, but they will also provide a bartender for cash bar. It was weird trying to explain why I wanted the room, though. Oh, well.

Anyway:
Rock the Vote!
Choose or Lose!
Go Wolves!

later, taters.

LittleVoice

LittleVoice

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 7:40 PM

The back room idea is appealing, and the June date is less likely to cause a conflict for me. (Both are currently open, but I can smell a commitment coming up for July.)

On the other hand, the patio-adjacent-ness of Grumpy's sounds great for a summer get-together. So, I throw a hand up in each camp. Sure, the idea of one person/one vote sounds great in theory, but I say, give me ambivalence or give me . . . whatever else you've got, I'm not picky.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 8:55 AM

I say, give me ambivalence or give me . . . whatever else you've got, I'm not picky.

I should stitch that into a sampler. Heeeeeee.

Anyway. Polls close tomorrow. 5 p.m. Choose or lose! Fight the Power! No more ring around the collar!

later.

rlswolf

rlswolf

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 4:09 PM

I vote for the first one, but only because I'm going to be out of town for the second!

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2004 @ 6:02 AM

Last call. I need to know your preference for Options A or B by 5:00 p.m. today.

thanks!

Edited by suctionprints, May 28, 2004 @ 6:02 AM.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

• Interests:Jigsaw puzzles, foreign languages (real and fake), reading, making costumes, popcorn, pirates, road trips

Posted May 28, 2004 @ 8:36 AM

Damn! Good thing I sensed the need to check this thread. I vote Grumpy's only because I prefer it. Oddly enough, I'm free for both dates.

And suctionprints, Happy Birthday to us on Monday!

Edited by belsum, May 28, 2004 @ 8:37 AM.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2004 @ 10:08 AM

Likewise, belsum. Hail, fellow Geminoid!

Edited by suctionprints, May 28, 2004 @ 5:19 PM.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2004 @ 5:25 PM

And OPTION A carries the day by one vote.

Minneapolis Summer TWoPcon
Kieran's Irish Pub
Back Room
Saturday, June 19, 2004
6:30 - ??
Website

I'll be bringing a check for the room rental over early next week. Those of you who expressed interest in decorating, etc., should get a'hold of me pronto, as I will be out of town the week of the con, returning that morning.

You can RSVP on the thread, or to my email through TWoP.

thanks for the support!

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2004 @ 5:58 AM

I'm in! Guest plus zero!

melmn2002

melmn2002

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 12:36 PM

Me too! No guests, though. Hope to see everyone there!