Minneapolis / St. Paul

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

498 replies to this topic

IanStark

IanStark

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

Hey Twin Cities!

What does everyone think of a mid-winter mid-season get-together?

I promise we can get better, more spacious accomodations that last time!

Question: Should we time a get together around a particular show? I mean, I'm sure we wouldn't be able to agree ... but snarking together at the television would most likely be fun!

(Sorry PTB, I thought this old thread had disappeared ..... Is there a way I can delete it? ... my wayward thread I mean.)

Edited by IanStark, Feb 11, 2004 @ 12:07 PM.

melmn2002

melmn2002

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 12:31 AM

That would be great!

I do think, though, that it shouldn't be centered around one show...don't want to alienate anyone, right?

alyssapurdy

alyssapurdy

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 11:25 AM

I would definately be in for TWoPcon, anytime.

WWGeek

WWGeek

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 3:54 PM

Count me in, too. I've been lurking since the Fall of 2000, and am bummed that I missed the October Con.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 8:35 PM

I'll make the drive again. Maybe this time I'll get to talk to the folks who were at the other end of the table, too.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 5:04 AM

Me too. If you can get us a nice place, IanStark, that'd be great. As for a date, I would suggest the last day of May Sweeps for the symbolism, but that'd be too far off, wouldn't it?

IanStark

IanStark

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

Well, it looks like we have a little bit of momentum in this thread now. I will look this weekend for back rooms we can reserve. I will shoot for weekends in May sweeps.

Rhea13

Rhea13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2004 @ 10:00 AM

Just not Memorial Day weekend. I'm going to be out of town. ;)

heh.

Garage Logician

Garage Logician

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 11:37 AM

Please color me interested, as well. Would be fun to meet other posters!

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2004 @ 3:39 AM

Memorial Day Weekend wouldn't be good for me, either, but any other day should be fine!

dsg21

dsg21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

Did anyone ever figure out a date for the Twin Cities TWoPcon? I missed the last one and was looking forward to this spring's event. I am also not up for a Memorial Day thing. Too many conflicts for too many people. IanStark was going to be looking for a room. Any news?

Aliera

Aliera

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2004 @ 10:23 PM

How about Saturday May 1st? Same Time, Same Place?

Ebongreen

Ebongreen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2004 @ 2:02 PM

As much as Kieran's has atmosphere, it also has loudness. I found it difficult to hear people very close by, and I'm much more interested in the people than the place. I'd choose somewhere else that's quieter - perhaps Diamonds on Central Avenue NE? They're already on the Meetup list, and highly regarded there.

Petey

Petey

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 11:14 AM

Chiang Mai Thai, in Calhoun Square, has a lovely back room with comfy circular couches!

erzulie

erzulie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2004 @ 9:43 AM

Anything on Central Ave NE is fine by me - I live nearby! Is someone taking responsibility for nailing this all down? I'm very interested in attending. Flu kept me from the last one.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2004 @ 3:53 PM

Here's a few thoughts:

Diamonds is most cool, but it doesn't serve liquor. And I do like a little tipple now and again. And again and again.

Grumpy's downtown has a good back room that leads into a patio - nice this time of year. They have tasty bar food in huge portions and an art gallery in the parking lot. It's swank.

There's Psycho Susie's on NE Marshall which is a tiki bar. It's way cool and kitschy, but also smoky. I did not have a tiki drink when I was there, but I enjoyed some marvy deep-fried hot dogs (scads better than they sound).

I also love the Acadia on Franklin and Nicollet, which is a smoke-free coffeehouse with good beer. They have a homey, living room style front room, and a theatre side room. They reconfigured the theatre room so that all the tables are on the same level now, and it possibly could serve as a private room if they don't have any music or plays booked.

I've heard wonderful things about Chiang Mai Thai, and that back room sounds like a winner.

Let me know what you decide, and if you need anything! I can help set up, etc. Like erzulie, I'm over nordeast too, but have easy access to everything...now that the buses are back.

ETA: I can't do Kieran's May 1st, if you're counting heads.

Edited by suctionprints, Apr 22, 2004 @ 3:57 PM.

erzulie

erzulie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2004 @ 9:54 AM

Forgive my denseness suctionprints, but can you just not do Kiernan's on May 1st...or anywhere on May 1st?
If the 1st is looking bad...the 15th is good for me. And I like the idea of a Tiki Bar.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2004 @ 11:12 AM

Forgive my denseness suctionprints, but can you just not do Kiernan's on May 1st...or anywhere on May 1st?
If the 1st is looking bad...the 15th is good for me. And I like the idea of a Tiki Bar.

Sorry, erzulie, I mean anywhere. I'm going to see Einsturzende Neubaten with some friends. (Holy "Sprockets", Batman - Germans hitting metal!) The 15th sounds good, though. And like I said, I can do some legwork, order party favors from Oriental Trading, whatever it takes.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2004 @ 5:10 AM

I feel like an asshole for declaring that I do not want to help in the planning. Such organization is much better left to one of you.

I'll go anywhere so long as it's in the metro area, but if we're looking for Nordeast, why not Nye's?

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2004 @ 6:40 PM

Oooooh...Nye's! That's good, Sr. A!

And there's Jitters across the street, which is a funky coffeehouse that serves drinks.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

What does everybody else think? There seems to be fewer people talking about a potential TWoPcon next month than back in October. And if we're trying to get as many people as possible, I'd like to get as much input from as many people as possible (please do not take this as a criticism, suctionprints, your initiative is very much needed). Is a place like Nye's too noisy? Would people want to imbibe alcohol in copious amounts? Would Jitters be an acceptable compromise?

erzulie

erzulie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:35 PM

I absolutely enjoy imbibing alcohol, but I confess I did wonder about the feasibility of meeting in any sort of "trendy" nightspot on a Saturday night. Only because those sorts of places are usually loud and standing-room-only on weekends. I don't have any partiular experience with Nye's though, so maybe that doesn't happen there? I'll go wherever, though. If we meet before the rush begins (say 7 or 8, as opposed to 9 or 10), noise and crowds may not be so bad.

Ebongreen

Ebongreen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 8:10 AM

My high priorities are (1) smoke-free, and (2) relatively quiet. I like Jitters, personally - but I've never been there when it's late and/or noisy. I don't drink alcohol, but I don't require alcohol freedom from company, just alcohol sanity. :-, With those things in mind, I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 8:56 AM

I tell you what, I'm going to talk to Grumpy's (the back room opens out to a patio, fresh air for non-smokers) and Acadia (smoke free, off the beaten path and laid-back) first. Then I'll methodically work down the rest of the list. If that's okay with everyone. Now, what dates should we think about, and should we be looking at early June? Let me know.

[B]ETA:[I]This is just research, there is no way I am going to confirm a place without plenty of input from the board. These are just the places that seem to fit the qualities we want (quiet, booze, and low/no smoke). Also, more suggestions mean more options!

Edited by suctionprints, Apr 28, 2004 @ 10:45 AM.

erzulie

erzulie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 10:46 AM

I was really hoping it could be May 15, cuz June just sucks for me!

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 2:11 PM

Well, looking at my calendar, the 15th stinks for me. Tell you what I'll do. I'll get the ball rolling, and call Grumpy's and the Acadia and find out the possibility of booking their back rooms for on the 15th. I'll send the info to Ian. If those places don't work for May, then maybe we can use 'em for October.

alyssapurdy

alyssapurdy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 3:24 PM

I am definately in. I don't know the hot spots all that well, so I will leave that up to the experts. However, I can do nametags and markers (if we want to go that route) or anything else to help out. I am available the 1st or the 15th.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 5:05 AM

Okay, just looking at the Acadia's website tells me that it isn't going to work if a lot of people show up. They reserve the theatre side up to a year in advance, although I do see looking at the calendar it's not just for performances - some groups apparently use it for large gatherings. I'll call Grumpy's and find out what's up with their back room. ebongreen, there used to be a great listing of smoke-free Minneapolis venues on the Web. I couldn't find it today, but I'll keep looking.

ETA: I called Grumpy's. For some reason, everyone wants the back room on the night of the 15th. Normally, there's no problem getting the room and there is no charge for it. I like it because it opens onto the patio - nice if it's warm. Anyway, I'm going to email the phone numbers of those to places to IanStark. Doesn't hurt to have some extra resources in the cool bar department. Have fun, youse guys!

Edited by suctionprints, Apr 29, 2004 @ 2:07 PM.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 2:20 PM

Bumped so people can see new developments.

Ebongreen

Ebongreen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 3:29 PM

suctionprints, is this the List-O-Smokeless for which you were searching?