All My Children

• Please log in to reply

70111 replies to this topic

celest

celest

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

Who is the SL you're referring to?

I always liked Greenlee, and never had a problem with her taking a central role in the show. Plus, they tied her to Jack, so she was a Montgomery at the end of the day. I thought she and Kendall made fantastic frenemies, but a huge problem with the show towards the end was the lack of any subtlety or grey shades. If they wanted you to hate someone (JR) they were evillllllll and everyone in town told them so. If they wanted you to love someone (Krystal) all their sins were suddenly forgiven and the other characters blew sunshine up their ass on a daily basis. I think this started in earnest with Babe, her character was a big turning point towards terrible for the show.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

It's easy to assume that the rewrite was a condition of getting RB back and it was a pathetic reinforcement of the notion that SL, CM, and RB were considered the stars of the show even though Kendall was the daughter of a legacy character.

Kendall was considered par with CM and RB, imo. Those scenes were all about redeeming Greenlee and Greenlee getting Kendall's blessing.

Both actresses were horrible and I can't say that I care one iota about either of their storylines. Were the character that central to the show? Ever?

I think RB/Greenlee had been gone for about a year before they recasted, so she wasn't so central they had to recast right away. I think they brought her back to stir up trouble for Ryan and Annie and other general chaos (thus her kidnapping Spike). But then they brought back RB and so of course Greenlee had to be cleaned up and paired with Ryan again. And of course after they were paired up RB left not long after AGAIN, because the PTB apparently couldn't tell that the person who hated Rylee the most was RB.

Babe I have no explanation for. I guess they just decided it wasn't worht the fuss to come up with an exit story for Babe and decided to kill her off with the recast. I don't think the recast lasted too long.

Joimiaroxeu

Joimiaroxeu

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

Kendall was considered par with CM and RB, imo

I don't know about that. At some point when the intro was redone, AM was moved behind CM and RB and it stayed that way until the end of the show.

celest

celest

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

I will never understand the network's obsession with Ryan and Greenlee. I have literally never seen a fan of theirs. What a waste to get Josh Duhamel back at the end just to have him pimp them, I was so upset.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

I've seen some fans of theirs, but they seemed to be Greenlee fans who appreciated that being paired with Ryan meant the frontburner. I really do think it was Frons who really championed them. I'll never get over being annoyed that he dumped Kendall for Greenlee after she exposed Kendall's fake baby belly (which was an awesome moment, and I was actually loving-to-hate Greenlee at that moment instead of just hating her), and after she had already tried to split up him and Gillian years before. As a Kendall/Ryan, Gillian/Ryan fan it annoyed the crap out of me. And even if I hadn't already hated them for that, they were written in the most ridiculous way, like they were 20 instead of 35. "Green Butterfly" and "Dynamo" or whatever they called Ryan, and I swear, they kept constantly saying to each other, "Do you think we'll still be like this when we're 90?"

Oh, the Rylee hate. Always lurking under the surface with me.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

I agree. I don't know how a character that was on nearly every day, and had and was involved in major storylines as much as the other two, wasn't on par with them.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I've seen some fans of theirs, but they seemed to be Greenlee fans who appreciated that being paired with Ryan meant the frontburner. I really do think it was Frons who really championed them.

I have always heard that Frons was a big reason they kept getting back together. They had some fans but imo not enough for them to last so long when so many people who were not their fans really hated them. Maybe they wouldn't have been as hated if they didn't hog so much screen time.

I would say that Kendall was just as important on the show. I liked her a lot more than Ryan/Greenlee but she also did get too much screentime. I think AM even she broke a record one year for how many episodes she was in.

Edited by oreo8704, Jun 2, 2012 @ 12:37 PM.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I agree. I don't know how a character that was on nearly every day, and had and was involved in major storylines as much as the other two, wasn't on par with them.

Yeah. I think she propped Greenlee and Ryan so the popular character "approved" and she took the hits for them at times as well because they knew she was popular enough to take the hits.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

. I think she propped Greenlee and Ryan so the popular character "approved" and she took the hits for them at times as well because they knew she was popular enough to take the hits.

I agree. They knew AM/Kendall was popular, and I think they tried to use her the same way they'd used Bianca in the past, to some degree - to tell us who to like. She had to bow and scrape to those two WAY too often. Frons was fixated on RB and CM, and the show had to, at times, twist itself into pretzels to accomodate his desire for them to be the frontburner "super couple" that they just plain weren't.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

who thought it was a good idea to have a recast of Babe and a recast of Greenlee running around town? Both actresses were horrible

Nothing compares to the Jenny "lookalike" they brought in to be a love interest for Greg when Jenny died. The actress had a passing resemblance to Kim Delaney, but she was the worst actress I have ever seen. Fortunately they let it die a quick death.

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

I preferred Babe 2 over Marissa -- one of the worse actresses ever.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

They really blew it with the first Marissa. The actress wasn't great, by any means, but she had so much more potential had they made Marissa an undercover bitch who was out to live Babe's life (and was responsible for the poisoned pancakes). Taking a dull actress and making her Mary Sue was stupid.

Of course, they generally managed to zig where they should have zagged with all the Carey women. They wanted Babe to be sympathetic in the whole baby swap, but they had her find out way too early on, so instead of her being a heartbroken mother who found she'd lost her biological baby and was now in love with and bonded to her best friend's presumed dead baby, torn between doing the right thing and not breaking her husband's heart, we had the girl who dangled Bianca's baby in her face from jump and made her the godmother as some kind of consolation prize for keeping her from raising her daughter. Then, when she found her real baby was alive, she dumped Miranda with JR and split, leaving a note that she had to know wasn't going to get JR to turn the baby over to her mother.

And they decided we should all love Krustal but never really gave us any reason to love her. They needed to fully redeem her from the baby switch hijinks if they wanted her to have the role they kept writing for her.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 3:21 AM

Yeah, the ads referred to RB as "the real Greenlee", as if Sabine Singh had merely been a placeholder while RB was gone on vacation or something.

The worst part about that campaign was they had "the real Greenlee" countdown ads run in the corner of the screen, complete with Rebecca Budig tapping her fingers or some such, while scenes of Sabine Singh's Greenlee were running. Oh, so classy, that Frons.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

so last night was the start of the "Ryan gets shot and develops and amnesia and thinks he's still in love with Kendall" arc, and that always reminds me of a post jase-bot and darn wrote at their blog here

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

I could not stand Kendall or anything about her. I loved, loved the moment when Greenlee exposed her for the lying tramp that she is in court. I cheered when she ripped the fake stomach off of her.

I at times liked Ryan and Greenlee. I did not like it when Ryan and Annie were torn apart though. Kendall and Greenlee were awful to her.

celest

celest

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

I always preferred Greenlee to Kendall too, but I liked it when they were frenemies. I never liked any of Ryan's pairings except his original one with Gillian.

I really came to love Annie by the end. I was pissed that JR forgot all about her so quickly.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

who thought it was a good idea to have a recast of Babe and a recast of Greenlee running around town? Both actresses were horrible

Nothing compares to the Jenny "lookalike" they brought in to be a love interest for Greg when Jenny died. The actress had a passing resemblance to Kim Delaney, but she was the worst actress I have ever seen. Fortunately they let it die a quick death.

FakeJenny was bad but IMO, Nina 2.0 was the worst recast on the show.

imqrious2

imqrious2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

Marc Cherry's "Devious Maids" picked up by Lifetime

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Marc Cherry's "Devious Maids" has found a second life.
"Desperate Housewives" creator Cherry's latest series, which was passed over by ABC earlier this year, has found a new home at Lifetime, which has placed a 13-episode series order for the program.

"Devious Maids" will launch in 2013. The soapy drama, which is based on the Mexican telenova "Ellas son la Alegrķa del Hogar," follows the exploits of five ambitious maids as they work for wealthy Beverly Hills residents.

Cherry wrote the pilot and will executive-produce the series, along with Sabrina Wind ("Desperate Housewives"), Eva Longoria, Paul McGuigan ("Scandal"), Larry Shuman ("Kissing Miranda"), David Lonner, John Mass, Paul Presburger and Michael Garcia.

ABC Studios is producing the series.

Former "All My Children" actress Susan Lucci stars, as does "Ugly Betty" alum Ana Ortiz.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I was so disappointed Debbi and Darnell didn't win last night. I thought they were so good in the baby swap story, and this being the last chance for them to win (as Jessie and Angie), I was really hoping they'd get that recognition.

celest

celest

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

AMC and OLTL both were barely represented last night, which is a huge shame. OLTL could still be nominated next year, but I'm not holding my breath. GH has been winning Emmys left and right for years, it's obviously a joke ceremony.

imqrious2

imqrious2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

JR Martinez introduces his new daughter, Belle:

My link

Congrats!! What a cutie :-)

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

JR Martinez introduces his new daughter, Belle:

Congrats to JR and his wife! It seems like he's already in love with little Belle and really wants to be there for her. He really seems like a nice guy and I wish all of them the best.

FryingPan

FryingPan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Just got around to recording the last week of shows from my DVR.... interesting to see it all play out a year ago - frustrating that the JR stuff took up so much of the last week especially since it was so dark AND that it will never be resolved. I had forgotten how selfish Erica really is. Too bad they couldn't have had her grow up just an inch.

But the flashbacks, the resolutions, anything with Angie/Jesse and all the Stuart stuff.. still holds up. And Jackson's last line "I don't give a damn" is pretty amazing. Sadly, Erica's "this is not the ending I wanted" pretty much sums up my feelings about the finale (even if at the time I first saw it, I loved it).

LeftPhalange

LeftPhalange

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

I'm surprised Greenlee didn't finally get her miracle baby.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

I don't think Greenlee ever showed any particular longing for a baby? Did she? I could have missed a scene where she said she wanted one. In any case I believe I read interviews with Rebecca Budig where she said she didn't think Greenlee should/would want a baby and I think she played it that way.

celest

celest

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

Wasn't there a whole storyline where she was obsessed with having Ryan's baby and he drove his motorcycle over a cliff and pretended to be dead because he was so against it? Tell me I didn't make this up.

katierose295

katierose295

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Wasn't there a whole storyline where she was obsessed with having Ryan's baby and he drove his motorcycle over a cliff and pretended to be dead because he was so against it? Tell me I didn't make this up.

I am that monster!!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z950s5AY6PQ

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Hee! No, you totally didn't. The rage I felt during that storyline must have blocked it from my memory. I think though a big part of that storyline was Greenlee wanted to have Ryan's baby because she felt it would cure him of thinking he was cursed to be abusive more than she wanted it for her own sake. And then after that while they thought he was dead she really wanted his baby so she could have something to remember him by. I think? And of course Ryan just happened to still have sperm at the sperm bank even though he told Gillian he called them and told them to get rid of it years before that.

There was way too much talk about Ryan's damn sperm on this show.

ETA: Rebecca Budig is soooooooo pretty in that clip. And yup, there's Ryan blah blah blahing about The Darkness.

Edited by Ulkis, Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:54 PM.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

You didn't make it up. Ryan faked his own death (though I can't remember if the sole reason was Greenlee's desire to have a child with him--I know he didn't want one at the time because of his fucked up family).

celest

celest

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

That's right! And Kendall was going to be the surrogate, but ended up impregnating herself because the electric went out or something and Dr. Madden told her there was no time! before his sperm unfroze?

I forgot how ridic this show could be lol.