Clay Aiken VI: The Thing That Wouldn't Die

• Please log in to reply

19422 replies to this topic

The Voices

The Voices

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

I really respect him for this. Good on ya, Clay.

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

Finally.

cincin1

cincin1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 4:31 PM

Wow, love Clay for this!

PorkFat

PorkFat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 4:54 PM

OMG! I would have never guessed!

Edited by PorkFat, Sep 23, 2008 @ 4:54 PM.

mellotune

mellotune

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:04 PM

It's like the end of an era- the endless "Is he or isn't he?" debate.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:09 PM

OMG! I would have never guessed!

I KNOW! Clay Aiken is gay?! Who woulda thunk it? [/joking]

Good for Clay. It is better to be honest with the world than continue to try to make the world believe something they already knew was a lie.

Eniarrol006

Eniarrol006

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:16 PM

All I have to say is, it's about time. Good for him. The only downside to it is that the media exposure is going to be on him even more and I have to wonder why he'd want that for his kid.

janejanejane

janejanejane

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:33 PM

So does this mean all those stories about internet hookups might be true too?

eta It might be time to remove the moderator's warning at the top...heh.

Edited by janejanejane, Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:42 PM.

Snaphappy

Snaphappy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:39 PM

Well Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. It FINALLY happened. Congratulations Clay and may you live a happier life, with no more lies. I couldn't be prouder. Also, that baby? Hella cute, although it oddly resembles David Cook's baby picture, with that big ol' head and all. Still cute though.

Edited by Snaphappy, Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:40 PM.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:43 PM

I would assume so. It seems like a huge leap of logic for him to confirm he's gay and yet all the stories that pointed to his sexual orientation (webcams, hookups, etc) are somehow false. I do expect there to be people who will try to say it's not true, perhaps even Clay because that aspect of the story is embarrassing for him.

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

Guys, this is your only notice...

- this thread is about Clay Aiken. It is not a forum to debate the pros and cons of homosexuality, coming out, Christianity, or gay parenting.

- Unless he discusses it in public, this is not a forum to talk about Clay's intimate details. This is TWoP, not a gay.com profile.

- Lastly, I will NOT have this thread devolve into Claymate vs. non-Claymate. You guys know better than that.

I will not hesitate to lock this thread down or ban people as needed. If you think your post might cross the line, don't post it.

Contact me if you have any questions.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Oct 4, 2008 @ 4:34 PM.

footinmouth

footinmouth

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 6:33 PM

Without crossing the line, I'd just like to say that he looks happier in the latest batch of stage door pictures. He just seemed different to me, like a weight had been lifted. I was just discussing this with a friend before I even knew about the article. I will save the rest of my comments until the article is published. Until then, congratulations Clay, you can finally be yourself.

ilovebacon

ilovebacon

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 7:39 PM

1. Good for you Clay, to thine own self be true...

2. Parker is a cute l'il peanut.

3. Thank God, finally a haircut!!! YAY!

Ninja Bunny

Ninja Bunny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 8:11 PM

Congrats, Clay! It's about time and what a huge relief for him it must finally be.

I hope from here on out he and whomever he has for a partner (if he chooses to settle down) will have a happy life.

Yeah, Parker is pretty cute.

janejanejane

janejanejane

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 8:38 PM

I think the reason Clay came out now might be because he knew he wasn't going anywhere as a pop star. It's odd because he knew he wasn't "that guy", but he made albums on the fringes of pop. One of the only only careers which precludes gays is male pop star, so he lied.

Now he may feel that Broadway will be his home and certainly being gay is fine in that community.

It is a shame that he had to lie but most anyone else would have done the same in his position. After all, his huge fan base coming off AI was female and the risk would have been too great at that point.

Now that the hype has died, he can be himself and pursue a career without fear. Not a superstar maybe, but at least he can breathe easy.

Cute baby.

Listen Lady

Listen Lady

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 8:49 PM

I thought he'd hold on to this for years. As he said himself he's very stubborn. Well I hope this takes some burden off his shoulders.

I cannot raise a child to lie or hide things.

And as with everything, he has to attach a morality tale to it. Oy. Besides, I thought he was firmly in the "none of your business" state of mind. He had convinced me he wasn't lying so much as not commenting, which is perfectly acceptable, child or no child.

Memories...I remember the way he described his type of girl. Beautiful? Intelligent? Sweet? Fun? Nope, none of those:

"I like girls who are not materialistic. I don't want someone who needs to be frou frou and needs to be taken care of. None of that stuff. Somebody who's independent, who has her own goals. She's got a plan for her life, and it doesn't have to do with who I am or what my job is or my money."

Hee. Not exactly a visceral description. I think that interview might have been the tipping point for me.

Lyte as a Rock

Lyte as a Rock

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 8:54 PM

Finally. He must feel like a million bucks right now. Like a truck was lifted off of his back.

Not a superstar maybe, but at least he can breathe easy.

I think now that Clay has announced he's gay and from what I can see the reaction is positive, he should use the focus and chatter to his advantage. SNL is definitely going to do either a skit or a news piece on it, so he should appear and turn it into a momentous event, revel in it and show the world his new, non-tortured, happy self. Good for you, Clay. Now maybe you can find that special someone.

honey mustard

honey mustard

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 9:14 PM

janejanejane:

No Jank, that's not what it means.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 9:21 PM

I'm not a fan, but I am happy he has found it within himself to stop the prevarication. Good for him.

Rogue Pimp

Rogue Pimp

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 9:43 PM

This just in: the Pope is Catholic.

jase-bot

jase-bot

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 9:47 PM

And rain is wet.

CoConspirator

CoConspirator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

I've always liked Clay but all the stuff from the tabloids was more than enough smoke to convince me there was fire somewhere. I'm glad he's finally found the courage and conviction to embrace who he really is.

stonybrook

stonybrook

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 10:36 PM

I started reading this thread from the last post up, saying to myself that he'd finally done something genuine I could like about him. I was even entertaining the idea that maybe he's less of the calculating self-promoting egotistical asshole I thought. Then I scrolled up to this:

If the magazine cover is real on Perez Hilton's site, Clay is officially coming out of the closet on the cover of People magazine (with his baby in the picture too).

Of course he chose this horn-tooting prop-using route. Himself alone on the cover, ok. With the baby. Not ok. He's still what I always thought he was. Glad the burden of being a fake is off his shoulders, no one should have to hide. Now if he'd work on being less of a self-absorbed egomaniac.

Anakerie

Anakerie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 10:46 PM

Good for you, Clay. Although I'll be honest: I always got more of a gay vibe off of Ruben than I did Clay, especially considering that it was Ruben who had Ricky skin-grafted on. I'm just not looking forward to the weeks of really bad jokes ahead.

nice PANTS

nice PANTS

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

Now if he'd work on being less of a self-absorbed egomaniac.

I never got that vibe from him. He has always seemed to be all about the team of people he works with, whether it be in concert or on stage in Spamalot or when he had been working on albums.

FlickerToAFlame

FlickerToAFlame

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 11:36 PM

Of course he chose this horn-tooting prop-using route. Himself alone on the cover, ok. With the baby. Not ok. He's still what I always thought he was. Glad the burden of being a fake is off his shoulders, no one should have to hide. Now if he'd work on being less of a self-absorbed egomaniac.

I sort of agree. I give Clay major kudos for finally stepping up to the plate and being honest with himself/the world, but why bring an innocent baby into what is definitely a publicity stunt and media storm? Is it fair for a baby's first public photo to have such a controversial headline next to it? It just feels a bit icky to me, like he's using the baby to further his own image/career. Maybe have pictures of the baby on the inside of the magazine, but I feel like he's just using him as a pawn by the whole cover thing. It's not like the cover wouldn't be just as powerful without the baby on it.

Lyte as a Rock

Lyte as a Rock

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

I have to admit, I felt like "why now?" and then I saw him on the cover, kind of shielding himself behind the baby of all things. But I guess according to the article the (birth of the) baby was the thing that made him decide to come out, so I suppose it makes sense.

shmork

shmork

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 12:33 AM

Oh, thank goodness. I just saw this on err, some other blog site, and I almost peed myself. I thought I had missed the boat on this, by at least a week. I've been taking a night class, and all I do when I get home is sit in front of my laptop and procrastinate.

Yay for Clay, I think. Out of that glass closet he foolishly thought he was in. Rejoice! Another AI also-ran comes out, and nobody gives a damn.

I've said it, once, to myself and I'll say it again: when is someone good going to come out?

Lance Bass? Jom Verraros? My next door neighbor? Perez needs to set his sights higher.

How cute is the kid, though? What are the predictions for Clay's career? Will David Archuleta benefit?

AquaWings

AquaWings

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 12:50 AM

Awesome! I can now stop feeling conflicted about owning his albums. The (not-too-terribly effective) song and dance has finally ended.

Bastille

Bastille

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 2:02 AM

My cynical take on the thought process behind this: "The Emmys asked Groban to sing the medley of TV theme songs? When I have a history of getting people to pay a lot of money to hear exactly the same cheesy shit in concert? And I would have fit right in with their 'reality-TV' theme; what the hell does he have to do with anything? Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I need to get my name out there in a remotely positive way. I didn't want to do it yet, but I still have that one card left to play..."

No, but seriously. Good for him. I really don't hold against him anything he ever said in interviews or song lyrics about his "perfect girl." He wouldn't be the first pop star or celebrity to toe the line in public out of career pragmatism, and I'm sure it wasn't just his own timidity -- his management probably was also pressuring him, especially early on, when he was at his most popular.

As far as surprise? Sheesh. Right. Another in a long string of "Yes, I am" declarations made many years after 95 percent of the world population required them as anything other than a formality (Elton John, George Michael, Ellen DeGeneres, Rosie, etc.).