The Ellen Degeneres Show

• Please log in to reply

3627 replies to this topic

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:50 AM

I don't remember the exact wording, but after whatever-her-name-is from Animal Planet finished a very neutral, PC reaction to the Crikey-man, Ellen said "Thankfully, I don't have to watch what I say." And of course, the audience went crazy laughing and applauding.

She continued with something to the effect of "I wasn't there, and I don't have children, but even I know that babies can't hold their heads up until they're six months old, and Steve's little baby wasn't even a month old and his head was all" [Ellen imitates baby] "while Steve was holding a dead chicken in front of a crocodile. If you're going to do that, at least hold the baby's head."

She seemed really disgusted with it.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:25 PM

I liked Lewis Black's reaction on the Daily Show better. They played a tape of Irwin trying to justify saying he wouldn't be a good parent if he didn't teach his children how to interact with the crocs. Black then said he wasn't teaching the one month old baby anything, he was teaching the croc to associate babies with feeding time.

music is my passion

music is my passion

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:31 PM

I officially love the tellistrator...Ellen pointing out all the awkward hugging moments on the show and using the pen to point everything out had me laughing out loud. I like that they haven't overdone those segments too...unlike segments featuring a particular PA.

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:54 PM

I officially love the tellistrator...Ellen pointing out all the awkward hugging moments on the show and using the pen to point everything out had me laughing out loud

Yeah, me too!

I especially liked it when she pointed out the parallel lines formed by her arms and the arms of one of the guests she was hugging. Another high point was the replay of Elijah Wood and Ellen embrace, hysterical!

Edited by AgentX, Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:00 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:10 AM

I also love Ellen because she revealed to me the fact that James Spader got the reciepe he gave on The Daily SHow for brining a turkey from the Food Network.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:38 AM

I like that they haven't overdone those segments too...unlike segments featuring a particular PA.

They haven't been doing as many Houston segments lately, so maybe the producers realized they were running that particular joke into the ground. Or maybe it just seems like they haven't done as many segments because the show was in reruns and I wasn't watching...

I guess we'll have to start an official Houston count to know for sure. To add some class and pretend we're cool, we could even do it in French, like Kim and her Eiffel Tower count for Real World Paris.

At least on Friday that other PA (Jack?) was the one doing the mugging.

...and now it just occurred to me that you may have been referring to Jeff, instead.

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 12:28 PM

I wonder if we'll ever get an update on Jeff and his "girlfriend." Girl friend. Whatever.

music is my passion

music is my passion

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 1:48 PM

...and now it just occurred to me that you may have been referring to Jeff, instead.

I was referring to Houston, but my statement certainly could have been referring to Jeff, as well. I think they are toning down the parts of the show that people evidently dislike or think is featured too often..."The Most Difficult Game..." is much less frequent than it was, and I agree with queasy that Houston's segments are lessening. Just slightly, though, in Houston's case, and that whole thing about Houston going to Houston and name switching or whatever is cringe-worthy.

Eeek. That rant makes me seem somewhat embittered toward the show, and that's not the case at all.

This week's shows were really wonderful, IMO. A lot of the guests were really exuberant and receptive toward Ellen, which I love.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 2:05 PM

This week's shows were really wonderful

Arrrgggh! And all I got to see were weather reports! ::sobbing::

swimmerboy

swimmerboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 2:34 PM

I wonder if we'll ever get an update on Jeff and his "girlfriend." Girl friend. Whatever.

I'm dying to know what's going on with Jeff and Vanessa (that was her name wasn't it?) Since the show where he picked her, Jeff hasn't even been mentioned again.

How sad that I knew the answer to all those "Lifetime movies" questions.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:08 PM

How sad that I knew the answer to all those "Lifetime movies" questions.

Heh. I think I got them all right, myself.

By the way, why is it apparently so impossible for the contestants to respond correctly when playing the hardest game? It's not supposed to be YES or NO, people.

I sent Tony all my old record albums -- over 75 of 'em. I don't even own a turntable anymore, so it was not only good to be able to get rid of them, but also fun to imagine him going through the box. (None of them are dance tunes by any means, but whatever. Maybe he was really, jonesing for old Batdorf and Rodney songs.)

There was even a silly "Burl Ives sings country" thing, so if Ellen shows that one on air, it was from me.

PopsicleToes

PopsicleToes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:41 AM

swimmerboy I too became a fan of Elijah Wood after seeing Radio Flyer on HBO years ago. I thought at the time this little guy is gonna be a big star one day.

I enjoyed seeing Elijah on Ellen's show earlier in the week. He is a cutie and seems like a great guy. Down-to-earth and a real sweetie. Also noticed he slipped back/forth between a slight British accent to regular voice. hee

At times tho, he did seem a bit creepy and I kept waiting for him to morph into that monkey-boy character Chris Kattan did on SNL.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:00 PM

For those who might be interested, E! is doing one of those True Hollywood Story shows on Ellen Degeneres tonight at 8pm. It's 2 hours.

And now we rejoin the discussion of Ellen's talk show, already in progress ....

lindakoy

lindakoy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:38 PM

Funny and nice of Ellen to try and save Elijah from himself after he gave out that bit of TMI about biting his toenails. It seemed like he wanted to elaborate on it more, but she cut him off.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:46 PM

Watched the show about Ellen on E! tonight, and she came off very well, I thought. She seems very comfortable with who she is, and I got a warm feeling at the end of the show...sort of "they lived happily ever after" vibes. Good for you, Ellen!

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:52 PM

Did they show the mysterious Alexandra?

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:27 AM

starri" yes, they had a couple of pix of her.
Wonder if someone will start airing the Ellen sitcom reruns again? I liked that show but I hope it's not Oxygen because I don't get it.

Nordicgirl

Nordicgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:40 AM

Did they show the mysterious Alexandra?

They briefly showed a photo of Alexandra Hedison – she’s very beautiful and I guess she was an actress on “Nash Bridges.” The show interviewed actress Kathy Najimy (Ellen is the godmother to Najimy’s daughter) and she described Hedison as “the salt of the earth” – very grounded and good for Ellen (as opposed to you-know-who.)

Anyone know why the show dropped the first DJ (Scotty something?) and replaced him with Tony?

tigger two

tigger two

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:41 AM

I noticed that Ellen wears a ring on her wedding finger (if I was looking at the right hand). Are she and her partner married? Are they legally married or just a commitment ceremony (or whatever)?

I thought Ellen and James Spader were great together.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:56 AM

Wonder if someone will start airing the Ellen sitcom reruns again?

Oxygen (I believe) actually does rerun the Ellen show. It's usually really late night and on the weekends but I've caught it a few times recently.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:37 AM

Guys! Ellen is re-run on Lifetime at 12:30am cst and 1:30am est everyday except Saturday-Sunday overnight and Sunday-Monday overnight. Happy watching!

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:49 AM

maraleia: thanks for the info. I will tune in today.

chris2

chris2

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:15 PM

I'm dying to know what's going on with Jeff and Vanessa (that was her name wasn't it?) Since the show where he picked her, Jeff hasn't even been mentioned again.

Personally, I'm guessing they got a lot of feedback about the whole Jeff thing from viewers who wrote in and said Dudes! The guy is seriously gay. They probably ended up being embarrassed about the whole incident.

Theresa

Theresa

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

"I noticed that Ellen wears a ring on her wedding finger (if I was looking at the right hand). Are she and her partner married? Are they legally married or just a commitment ceremony (or whatever)?"

Yes, it is on her wedding finger. Ellen was asked about the ring in an article in TV Guide in the summer of 2003. She said, no, they didn't have a ceremony. When asked if she would, she responded that she didn't know, but that they were both committed and it's a monogamous relationship. I read somewhere else where she said she would marry if it were legal. She talks about her relationship with Alex in the current issue of Out magazine. I haven't read it yet.

Alexandra is indeed a mystery. She and Ellen have been together for almost three and a half years and I have not read one quote from Alexandra. Guess Ellen is still smarting from her very public relationship with Anne Heche, which I think hurt both of their careers, and she doesn't want to make the same mistake again. But it would be interesting to hear Alex say something, anything, about Ellen and their relationship.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:07 PM

It's crazy but I don't get a "gay" vibe off of Housten anymore. When the show started I was convinced he was gay. Now, not so much. Do I need my head examined?

swimmerboy

swimmerboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:18 PM

speaking of Houston...I was half-watching, half-sleeping while watching today, and I woke up just enough to see Anthony Lapaglia kicking the balls at him. At first glance, I thought they were bowling balls and I was scared he was gonna get his poor head knocked off.

Was that PA Nate again in the shorts and flip-flops? He's a cutie.

Personally, I'm guessing they got a lot of feedback about the whole Jeff thing from viewers who wrote in and said Dudes! The guy is seriously gay. They probably ended up being embarrassed about the whole incident.

I thought something like that might have happened too. I hope he hasn't quit or anything.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:25 AM

I actually like the fact that Ellen doesn't talk about Alex very much -- it could easily turn into a whole Kathie Lee OD type of thing. I think the same thing about all talk show people, though, not just Ellen. I did snort quite loudly yesterday when she made that joke to Larissa about her (Ellen) probably not picking either of the Average Joe guys.

I watched Ellen's E! show, too. I never knew her first girlfriend had died or that her stepmom had kicked her out of the house. So sad. Did they ever mention Betty's current marital status? They said she remarried after divorcing Ellen's dad, but I don't remember hearing what happened to the second guy. I also thought it was a little odd that we never heard from Vance. Anybody know his story?

I was one of the few people who liked Ellen's second sitcom, but I don't suppose we'll ever see reruns of that.

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:07 AM

I was thinking some of those same things queasy. I loved Vance on The Daily Show. I'd like to see him on this show at least once. (not like the Osbourne family 24/7 on Sharon's awful show).

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:28 AM

I hope he hasn't quit or anything.

I don't think so. I saw him last week when they panned the camera to the side to talk to someone else. He just popped in view for a moment or so.

Edited by caltrask55, Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:28 AM.

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:50 AM

Betty DeGeneres rocks. I'm just saying.

Cheryl Hines is as funny and charming as she was on I Love the 80s.

I never knew her first girlfriend had died

Did they mention that was her inspiration for her "Phone Call to God?"