The Ellen Degeneres Show

• Please log in to reply

3627 replies to this topic

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

Did anyone catch what the girl's tattoo was -- the one that received the guitar from Keith Urban???  Wasn't he funny today??>?

kaygeeret

kaygeeret

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2013 @ 7:26 PM

I have to say that the "plus size" model who was on today is certainly a beautiful woman and is THIN.  There is no definition of plus size that includes her. 

She is 6'2" and wears a size 12, but she is THIN and has a beautiful figure and would, I imagine, wear any and all clothes beautifully.  The only thing I can imagine is a true "plus size" woman being massively insulted at having this woman wear clothes designed for them.  If I were "plus size" I would have felt like a complete failure after that segment. 

I am older and have settled into my 'mature' figure semi-happily.  I will never be tall and thin again (lord, you shrink AND expand.  It's a double whammy), but that is what happens. Watching this segment I felt bad for the beautiful perfectly proportioned young woman who clearly has trouble finding the type of work she wants and felt awful for the many, many truly 'plus size' young women out there who never, never get to see themselves advertising clothing made for them and get to imagine how they might look in the clothes.

I'm sure Ellen meant well and maybe the entire dissonance of the segment highlights what is wrong with the entire fashion industry, but I was sad at the end of the show.

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 1:35 AM

kaygreeret I think the problem is a lot of the designers such as Betsey Johnson, Diane Von Furstenberg, and some others only make clothes available up to a size 12 or 14.  I was a plus sized woman until about 2 years ago and wore a size 20.  Due to some severe health problems, and threats from my doctor, I lost almost 100 lbs.  However, I will always believe that it's unfair to show young women someone that is considered plus sized and they wear a size 12.  I wear a size 8 now but I remember many times before I lost the weight when I wanted something really pretty to wear for a special occasion and it wasn't available in my size.  I would love to see real women, with curves, modeling clothes.   Another beef of mine is why do plus size women have to pay more for their clothes?  Petite women don't pay less than a woman that wears a size 10 or 12.  I think it's unfair.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

Another beef of mine is why do plus size women have to pay more for their clothes?  Petite women don't pay less than a woman that wears a size 10 or 12.  I think it's unfair.

Sometimes the exact same garment will cost more in petite because it's considered a "special size". Trust me.

Topic? I visited my father at the hospital the other day and he'd accidentally pushed the buttons on his TV remote and ended up on Ellen's show. I saw Sophia Grace and Rosie (apparently a promo for an upcoming episode) and couldn't change the channel fast enough.

Edited by designing1, Nov 6, 2013 @ 9:09 AM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

I saw the two girls featured yet once again and they weren't too bad. However, I really enjoyed that cute darling of a girl from the UK who writes her own music and performs her talent on the stage with piano. She was very refreshing compared to the other two familiar faces.

The plus girl model was curvy but certainly not overweight. She wasn't a waif and unfortunately the high end fashion designers want walking coat hangers to feature their clothes. These anorexic lookign type of girls will never be chosen for the sexier fashion shoots such as the popular Sports Illustrated bathing suits or Vitctoria Secrets lingerie  who go with girls that are fuller and rounder which is much more appealing to the general public.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

Really? I haven't looked at a VS catalog in ages, but it was always full of stick thin girls with implants.

I did see the girls Monday. I knew it was a long shot, but I still wish Ellen would have asked about Sophia Grace's part in Into the Woods and what happened.

eggs1basket

eggs1basket

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

Can someone explain why Ellen has Sophia Grace and rosie on her show all the time? they were cute maybe the first two times they made an appearance, but yikes! she really overdid it!

I'm surprised she hasn't adopted them!

missdavenport

missdavenport

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

I happened to see the show today when I was at the gym. What the hell was that video by Kanye West? What a piece of garbage. Frankly, I don't know how Ellen was able to keep a straight face. Honestly, I thought it would turn out to be one of her practical jokes. 

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 8:41 PM

Ellen gives in to the bullshit. What a shame. Sophia Grace and Rosie will be doing a re-enactment or having cookies with him soon enough.

Edited by StinkPill, Nov 20, 2013 @ 9:22 AM.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

I would have paid to see some audience reaction today to Kanye.    I think it would be just lovely if he did a tea party with SG & R.    Or I'd like to see them cover one of his songs.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

Maybe I wasn't paying much attention and I only saw a bit, but was Tyler Perry really trying to sing? He sounded like he was in the wrong key and flat too. Then he was sort of whisked away and they went to the next JC Penny thing or whatever it was. Was the singing suppose to be a joke? It was bad.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

Maybe I wasn't paying much attention and I only saw a bit, but was Tyler Perry really trying to sing? He sounded like he was in the wrong key and flat too. Then he was sort of whisked away and they went to the next JC Penny thing or whatever it was. Was the singing suppose to be a joke? It was bad.

He was probably the introduction to the Ellen's 12 Days of Giveaways segment. Everyday someone starts to do something that looks like a real segment of the show (Kelly Clarkson starts to sing a song that supposedly didn't make it onto her Christmas CD, Tom Hanks starts to attempt a home remedy cure on a sty Ellen has on her eye, etc.), then Christmas bells will ring all of a sudden & that starts the 12 Days of Giveaways segment.

GaryE

GaryE

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

I saw Jimmy Fallon give everyone in the audience one of those new Kindles last night, and somehow, every audience member managed to stay in their seat. Go figure.

Edited by GaryE, Dec 13, 2013 @ 3:27 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

Tyler Perry sounded better than quite a few people I have heard in live Karoake places. I did get sucked into the one yesterday where Ellen had the audience member finish her dance and she fell over the railing in the aisle.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

Feel bad for the fire fighters that rescued the trapped dog on ice who went after a squirrel. Seems a state law prevents them from receiving gifts greater than $50 and Ellen gave them each a cruise vacation.

jazz

jazz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

Really? I would understand if it was from the people involved or the city,etc. But this is different.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 5:30 PM

Apparently Elias is the new Sophia Grace?  He makes her look shy and retiring.

sbeckam

sbeckam

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 10:23 PM

Can Ellen not find something moderately enjoyable and just let it go? These constant visits from people she finds amusing are so superfluous.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2014 @ 7:42 PM

I am not sure what to think about the young dancer from India today.    

Absolut Girl

Absolut Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2014 @ 9:16 PM

Yeah, I saw this clip of the young Indian dancer while I was in India, go figure.  I thought some of his moves were way too mature for a nine year old.  The judges reactions were surprise/amusement. I don't get it.  I didn't think anything of particular talent. I don't want to see a nine year old boy thrust his hips. Awkward.

Conversely, Heaven (Haven?), the little girl dancer who's three I believe, truly dances and she and her mom danced to Beyoncé the last time they were on the show.

GaryE

GaryE

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 3:02 PM

Was on line at the supermarket today, glancing at the tabloids. Did you know Ellen has cancer AND is getting a divorce?

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 4:46 PM

No aware she has cancer. Though when she was recently playing Family Feud with guest Steve Harvey, her team all purposely dressed alike in same outfits, I couldn't help notice how small she appeared in comparison to the others.

Now we all know that Portia is so fed up with having to move every season due to Ellen's real estate ventures that of course they are calling it quits !

Fishyswa

Fishyswa

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 7:15 PM

I saw the same tabloid at the grocery store and then found an article that said it was totally BOGUS.    It's was the National Enquirer, after all.....

GaryE

GaryE

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2014 @ 2:16 PM

The Oscars reminded me that in a normal room, without a studio audience going psychotic at the slightest thing,  Ellen can actually be pretty entertaining.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 6:45 PM

I used to flove Ellen. However, now I get the sense that she has become mean spirited. I'm out.

canuck027

canuck027

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 7:41 PM

The Ellen Show did entertain me for a number of years.
Hope she ends her show before Season 12.
Who else are you going scare the shit out of? Or give gifts that are beyond stupid.

stafford

stafford

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 6:48 PM

I feel really stupid and superficial saying this but I was totally grossed out by Andrew Garfield on the show today. Didn't anyone ever teach him how to sit? He sat in the middle of Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx on a couch. His legs were spread apart and he couldn't sit still. He kept sorta touching himself and crossing his legs and uncrossing them. His arms were behind the couch then over his head and then on his crotch. I'd swear he was on some sort of stimulant or he is very ADHD.

Jamie Foxx was just terrific. Very funny.

Maybe things settled down but I had to turn it off after a few minutes. Andrew was driving me nuts.

whisper

whisper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 8:41 PM

The Ellen Show did entertain me for a number of years.
Hope she ends her show before Season 12.

Does she still have the option to end it even with the show being renewed through the 2016-2017 season, last year?

Edited by whisper, Apr 4, 2014 @ 8:42 PM.